Reload this Page >

Paradise found: Maldives via Qatar Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paradise found: Maldives via Qatar Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Thanks for the TR, great read. Looking up flights now
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, Oneworld, BA Gold, Royal Orchid
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Excellent report and pictures.

The second to last resort shown from the air on your flight from DOH-MLE is the Anantara.

Cheers
These resorts are all beautiful. The best (and worst) part of planning a trip to the Maldives is to choose from the plethora of amazing-looking 5star resorts.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obduro
Thanks for the TR, great read. Looking up flights now
Do it! You won't regret it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:23 am

Thanks for a detailed report. Am planning a surprise 3 night visit to the Maldives with my wife to celebrate our anniversary and LUX was the one we narrowed down to...but as others have said, there are just so many to choose from and all seem to have excellent reviews.

The price and "value" is what it's coming down to. Is the All-inclusive worth it?

Also - not having a coral...is that a major downside? Understand you recommended to take the snorkeling boat.

Just as an FYI, am able to get the LUX for about US$3200 for 3 nights All Inclusive with the alcohol and the sea plane transfer from Male to the resort plus a few other goodies (night cruise, cake, bottle of sparkling wine).

Your suggestions are very welcome. Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mideast
Thanks for a detailed report. Am planning a surprise 3 night visit to the Maldives with my wife to celebrate our anniversary and LUX was the one we narrowed down to...but as others have said, there are just so many to choose from and all seem to have excellent reviews.

The price and "value" is what it's coming down to. Is the All-inclusive worth it?

Also - not having a coral...is that a major downside? Understand you recommended to take the snorkeling boat.

Just as an FYI, am able to get the LUX for about US$3200 for 3 nights All Inclusive with the alcohol and the sea plane transfer from Male to the resort plus a few other goodies (night cruise, cake, bottle of sparkling wine).

Your suggestions are very welcome. Thank you.
Hi mideast,

Lux is an excellent choice! There are beautiful reefs just off the island and, as mentioned, free boat rides to different ones. The resort offers so many other things that you won't miss a house reef.

All inclusive is definitely worth it. The last thing you want is to look at the hefty prices on a menu and decide on something more affordable. Take the AI and order that champagne or pricy seafood dish. This is Paradise, spoil yourself.

The price you're getting isn't bad at all. We went in December, and I think it was a bit more...

Make bookings at the restaurants/spa before hand, as you do not want to be disappointed. I've posted all the menus in my TR so you can have a look.

I can recommend a couple's massage in one of the water parlours where you can look at the sea creatures through the glass floor while being pampered.

The a la carte restaurants are phenomenal, even the pool bar offers incredible lunches.

Look out for the yellow bikes and the "message in the bottle"!!! And enjoy!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Nice report looks like you enjoyed it. I say looks like because I don't understand why some TR's have blurred faces?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
A terrific report. Can't wait to go to the Maldives!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Definitely one of the most beautiful places on earth. Hopefully I'll get to see Bora Bora one day too. For me those two destinations are the cream of the crop of all beach/island destinations.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: *G, KLM Plat, Avis PC, SPG Plt, Hyt Plt
Enjoyed reading this review. One gets the sense that many Maldives resorts have high ratings on TA because 1) they are the "best" on their respective islands and 2) the reviewers are typically on a one-time type trip and not necessarily seasoned travelers.

Just curious if you recall what level beach villa you stayed at. We were originally booked at the PH, but after seeing (i) the steep fees to upgrade to an over-water villa there and (ii) the shlep to get there from MLE, I decided to shop around at other higher-end places. and found what appear to be very good prices at the Lux. We have a four night stay coming up and reserved the first night in the beach pavilion for $249 (B&B) and the remaining three nights in either the Signature Pool Villa for $660 (B&B) per night or the Prestige Water Villa for $523 (B&B). All prices include taxes, but not the flight to the island.

Thoughts on which to go with? It seems the Prestige villas are more likely to have a sunset view than the Signature Pool Villas. I figured for the first night, we'd check out what the beach pavilion is like, and we're in any event only going to arrive at 5:00 at the earliest, coming off of EY 278 at 2:40pm

I gather that the domestic flight + speed boat is more of an ordeal (but $130 cheaper) than just taking their seaplane (even though they suggest the time difference is less than 15 minutes)?
Old May 15, 2016, 9:35 am

Great TR and pictures.

>>>>One ticket was full fare while the other was an award ticket booked with BA Avios.

Nice work pulling that off! Often thought about mixing paid with award for our trips but can't help but worry about handling complications that could arise (canceled flights, etc).
Old May 16, 2016, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ggcheckpointline53
Enjoyed reading this review. One gets the sense that many Maldives resorts have high ratings on TA because 1) they are the "best" on their respective islands and 2) the reviewers are typically on a one-time type trip and not necessarily seasoned travelers.

Just curious if you recall what level beach villa you stayed at. We were originally booked at the PH, but after seeing (i) the steep fees to upgrade to an over-water villa there and (ii) the shlep to get there from MLE, I decided to shop around at other higher-end places. and found what appear to be very good prices at the Lux. We have a four night stay coming up and reserved the first night in the beach pavilion for $249 (B&B) and the remaining three nights in either the Signature Pool Villa for $660 (B&B) per night or the Prestige Water Villa for $523 (B&B). All prices include taxes, but not the flight to the island.

Thoughts on which to go with? It seems the Prestige villas are more likely to have a sunset view than the Signature Pool Villas. I figured for the first night, we'd check out what the beach pavilion is like, and we're in any event only going to arrive at 5:00 at the earliest, coming off of EY 278 at 2:40pm

I gather that the domestic flight + speed boat is more of an ordeal (but $130 cheaper) than just taking their seaplane (even though they suggest the time difference is less than 15 minutes)?
I'm glad you enjoyed reading the TR and that it could be helpful. We just stayed in a Beach Pavilion on the west coast (to see the sunset) while visiting Lux. The Water Villas are on either end of the island so can imagine it becoming a mission to get where you want to be.

To be honest, the beach pavilions were the best choice for us (regardless of the fact that they came at a lower cost). They are central, private and have direct access to the beach with your own loungers.

Most of the time we spent our days at the two pools and their amazing restaurant/bar. Rather spend less on room rates and go for all inclusive. The food and wine is of great quality.

Lux uses Trans Maldivian Airlines, but have their own departure lounge. It's just much easier this way. It will probably cost the same if you had to organise these flights yourself. They are on the pricey side either way. Because there are so many little islands you will probably end up on the same plane if you had to book it separately as each plain does a different run.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bizum
Great TR and pictures.

>>>>One ticket was full fare while the other was an award ticket booked with BA Avios.

Nice work pulling that off! Often thought about mixing paid with award for our trips but can't help but worry about handling complications that could arise (canceled flights, etc).
It was a bit of a risk as we had two booking references. So we had to keep tabs on booking changes etc. but Qatar Airways was very helpful and in the end it was worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.