Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Christmas In Mogadishu

Christmas In Mogadishu

Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Amazing and frightening... Thank you for this rare glimpse of a troubled country.
Thank you, SAtraveller, yes, I think this the first Mogadishu FT TR(?).

Originally Posted by steveman518
Amazing!
I think you have more balls than most of FT combined
Cheers, steveman518. I'm hesitant to complain about a broken IFE or a tough steak, so there's far more braver people here than me!

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Very cool report. I'm glad you had a safe trip!
Thanks, BryanIAH, yes, Saint Christopher is definitely looking out for me.

Originally Posted by Gripevo
Absolutely awesome as usual..maybe you could sell these pics to another travel magazine or something. You, jason and hauteboy are definitely my favorite trip reporters. Keep up the great work!
Many thanks, Gripevo, an honour to be included with these two FT legends.

Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
This is one of my favourite trip reports. I always dream about going to the places off the beaten track but never do. I admire you for being brave enough to go, I think I'd want a full military surrounding me with a drone in the air.

Did the people give you funny looks being the only Westerner there or take an abnormal interest in you?
Thanks, WeAreFlyingHigh. Yes, I definitely stuck out like a sore thumb. Because I was a westerner and because of the security team. No chance of 'blending in' anyway.

Originally Posted by vecta
spectacular trip report Daniel. It's trips like yours to these "off the beaten track" places that I just love to read on FT. Bravo.
Thank you, vecta. Just sussing out the next trip now, hopefully not too many other tourists too.

Originally Posted by ozziegumby
Amazing and unique trip report. Felt like I was there with your great photography which focused on the 'ordinary' lives of a fascinating part of the world.
Thanks, ozziegumby. Hopefully all the photo's give a good glimpse into what Mogadishu is really like beyond what you see/hear on the news etc.

Originally Posted by vgacolor
Thanks a lot for the report. The pictures and your posts were very informative. I have to be honest that I had to do a double take when I saw the title and had to click on the thread after that. I came here expecting to read about you working for an NGO or something similar, but you went for pure personal desire. May you continue to enjoy your trips, and hope that you are safe everywhere you go. This one will be hard to top.
Many thanks, vgacolor. I figured the simple title with the sweet/happy connotations of 'Christmas' followed by the complete opposite with 'Mogadishu' would be fun.

Originally Posted by longpause
Fascinating TR, thanks for sharing!
Cheers, longpause.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:49 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
How much Italian remnants did you see? I saw the "Il Teatro" and the old FIATs, and of course lots of pasta but I was just curious how much colonial infrastructure, and whatnot was still around.

Thanks for the report. I am not sure how effective khat chewing security would be in a real fight though . I've only made it as far as Djibouti.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Amazing TR, as always. Thank you for sharing!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Fascinating - thank you for sharing.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Incredibly interesting, thank you for sharing.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Once again an excellent post, the photos truly tell an amazing story about a country no one really exposes to much of. Like someone else said, it's incredible to see what constant war for decades does to a country.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I've read some of your recent TRs and I have to say, you do go to some out of the way places. Very enjoyable read and fantastic pictures (though they'd be better if you invested in a real camera, like a Nikon !)
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: FT
Another great tr of a place my insurance will not allow me to travel to but you do such a wonderful job.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Amazing report! I think I will forward this to a college buddy who spent some time there courtesy Uncle Sam, 21 years ago.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, MillionMiler, HH Silver
Thank you for your thoughtful trip report, DanielW. You have captured humanity in an unreachable (to me) place. "Defaced" followed by "Sam", whether on purpose or not, has inspired me to take more pictures during my travels. Thank you again.

Last edited by millionsandmillions; Jan 3, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
How much Italian remnants did you see? I saw the "Il Teatro" and the old FIATs, and of course lots of pasta but I was just curious how much colonial infrastructure, and whatnot was still around.

Thanks for the report. I am not sure how effective khat chewing security would be in a real fight though . I've only made it as far as Djibouti.
Thanks, FlyingHoustonian. You can still see some Italian influence about, had to look for them though. Hopefully the afternoon Khat fix will make the Al-Shabaab a little less trigger happy too.

Originally Posted by nizolidas
Amazing TR, as always. Thank you for sharing!
Cheers, nizolidas.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
Fascinating - thank you for sharing.
Thanks, mikelcf.

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Incredibly interesting, thank you for sharing.
Thank you, DeepUnderground, yes, a very interesting place to visit.

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Once again an excellent post, the photos truly tell an amazing story about a country no one really exposes to much of. Like someone else said, it's incredible to see what constant war for decades does to a country.
Many thanks, ChiefNWA. Just saw this photo of Mogadishu in the 80's (before the civil war). Can see the light house and surrounding area as how it was originally:

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I've read some of your recent TRs and I have to say, you do go to some out of the way places. Very enjoyable read and fantastic pictures (though they'd be better if you invested in a real camera, like a Nikon !)
Thanks, LondonElite. Yes, Nikon seem to be well in front for camera bodie's at the moment. I think Canon still has the edge for lenses though.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Another great tr of a place my insurance will not allow me to travel to but you do such a wonderful job.
Cheers, mkjr. Yes, I'm guessing any kind of insurance would be prohibitively expensive.

Originally Posted by frankmu
Amazing report! I think I will forward this to a college buddy who spent some time there courtesy Uncle Sam, 21 years ago.
Thank you, frankmu. Must have been a 'hell on earth' place to be 21 years ago. 'Black Hawk Down' is one of my favourite movies, and although it was shot in Morrocco, it definitely captures the feel of Mogadishu well.

Originally Posted by millionsandmillions
Thank you for your thoughtful trip report, DanielW. You have captured humanity in an unreachable (to me) place. "Defaced" followed by "Sam", whether on purpose or not, has inspired me to take more pictures during my travels. Thank you again.
Many thanks, millionsandmillions. Yes, always try and capture some of those fleeting, memorable moments when you are in some place new and exciting.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: ABBA
Good luck on your next trip to the States, or Israel, with that stamp in your passport!

I do have insurance (with various caveats) for Mogadishu, through work. I dread to think how much it costs. I assume you went in with no medical or repatriation cover?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by DanielW
Tomorrow on Christmas day, three AU soldiers, a civilian contractor as well as five militants would be killed during an attack on the base by Al-Shabaab.
This highlights the unfortunate dangers of life in Mogadishu, despite any level of security that you might surround yourself with. The civilian contractor you refer to that was killed in the Christmas Day attack was my friend and colleague Abaho A (pictured below both in life and in death). In 2014 alone in Mogadishu, I had 2 friends killed, 4 others injured and another 3 escape uninjured in various attacks either targeted at them or for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You were lucky that you worked with someone like Jibril who is well known to use excellent intel to avoid potential hotspots. There are plenty of other so-called security operators who are less capable (and significantly cheaper). The danger is that a naive or cost-conscious tourist signs up with them and winds up in a situation that escalates out of their control. Despite having lived there and the city having a special place in my life, I would not recommend travel to Mogadishu for tourists at this time - especially not for Westerners who will always be considered targets both by Shabaab and other groups who are simply in it for ransom.

If anyone is traveling to Mogadishu though, I would request you to please contact me via PM and I can put you in touch with my colleagues on the ground there who will be able to provide up-to-date intel that could make a big difference in keeping you safe.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that 747-437B. Sorry to hear of your friends' deaths. Your offer of advice does remind us what a useful place FlyerTalk is though. ^
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Today's news

A suicide car bomb attack by Islamist group al-Shabab has killed four people in the Somali capital Mogadishu, officials say.

Witnesses said the blast was close to the international airport, where African Union troops, UN staff and several Western embassies are based.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30672660

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.