Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Christmas Lights in LHR & BUD via BA F, The May Fair Hotel and Four Seasons Budapest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Lights in LHR & BUD via BA F, The May Fair Hotel and Four Seasons Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LM225
You could always route through Asia on a real airline
Great idea! My wife will be delighted Hey Darling, our flight takes 16 hours instead of 2 and will cost 10000 instead of 300 - yes, will be an interesting chat Perhaps should tell her we can earn much more miles
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:12 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - the Four Seasons Budapest looks really comfortable.

I agree. That is one impressive view. ^
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Looking forward to this next post

Mind me asking what your rate was at the FS?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I watched a documentary about the Tower of London recently and they actually have a crow keeper, there is a mandatory count of crows required at the Tower, it is a tradition (I can't remember the specifics of it now), but it was an interesting tid bit to your seeing a giant crow... It's because they are fed on the queens diet! Here here!!!

Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by popoemt
I watched a documentary about the Tower of London recently and they actually have a crow keeper, there is a mandatory count of crows required at the Tower, it is a tradition (I can't remember the specifics of it now), but it was an interesting tid bit to your seeing a giant crow... It's because they are fed on the queens diet! Here here!!!

The legend says the monarchy will rest as Long as crows live in the Tower....
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:01 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Great idea! My wife will be delighted Hey Darling, our flight takes 16 hours instead of 2 and will cost 10000 instead of 300 - yes, will be an interesting chat Perhaps should tell her we can earn much more miles
A man can dream, can't he?

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - the Four Seasons Budapest looks really comfortable.

I agree. That is one impressive view. ^
Thanks, worldtraveller73! It was definitely hard to leave...

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Looking forward to this next post

Mind me asking what your rate was at the FS?
Thank you, Jimgotkp! The rack rate for that room is around 340EUR, but they were running a 25% discount (basically fourth night free) when I booked. Plus, when you book through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner agent as I did, they include full breakfast (in the restaurant or via room service), a $100 food & beverage credit, internet (which is a bit ridiculous, as internet should be free at every hotel by now, let alone a FS), and an upgrade based on availability.

Definitely on the pricey side for Budapest, but I thought it was worth every penny.

Originally Posted by popoemt

Ah yes! That's right, I forgot about that from the tour. I remember thinking "man, are these crows eating small children?", and then the tour guide mentioned exactly what you said.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Five Days In Amazing Budapest

Five Days In Amazing Budapest

While we were a bit camera-fatigued and didn’t take too many photos of the Budapest part of our trip, I’ll share a few that made it.

We were incredibly lucky with both the weather -- it was comfortably in the high 40’s/low 50’s throughout our stay -- and the food: every meal was great to fantastic.

My Budapest restaurant recommendations, in order:
  1. Borkonyha - a very cozy wine bar/kitchen
  2. Klassz - a Hungarian bistro, no reservations but we only waited a few minutes
  3. Aszu - a bit more upscale, but still quite warm and the wines were excellent
  4. Taverna Dionysos - a Greek place that was perfect for when we got a little tired of Hungarian cuisine
  5. Cafe Kor - Hearty bistro, excellent value

I’d go back to each and every one of those.

Anyway, to some there’s more to traveling than eating, so here are some photos of Budapest

We walked up the gorgeous Andrassy Avenue -- like a miniature, quieter and less-touristy Champs-Elysees, beautifully lit up for the holidays -- to Heroes Square:

We stopped to watch the locals do twirls at this massive ice rink...there were some seriously good skaters here:

Vendors at the Christmas Markets sell Kurtos, a dough that’s rolled around a cannister and cooked over coals before being tossed with cinnamon and sugar (or other toppings). Not bad.

We also stepped into Rózsavölgyi Csokoládé, a shop that makes gorgeous chocolates using traditional Hungarian flavors (for example, those round ones in the bottom right are made with tarragon -- very tasty).

And finally, a Hungarian classic: Unicum. A liquor that people generally love or hate, it’s herbal and medicinal-tasting. I love Fernet and this is quite similar, so I really enjoyed it. It was perfect after a night of eating and drinking, and we indulged in a shot of this stuff as a nightcap more than once, even buying a bottle at Duty Free to bring home.

When we returned and our Hungarian friend and neighbor saw it, she cringed and nearly gagged. So, definitely not one for everyone

On our last night, we caught a beautiful sunset up one of the sidestreets near our hotel, though I seem to have ruined the photo by being in it. Here’s my best attempt at a fix

I didn’t bring a camera, but we also enjoyed our trip to the Széchenyi thermal baths; a must-do if you visit.

On our last morning, we were sad to leave this beautiful place (and dead set on returning one day soon), but eager and ready to get home and dry out a bit.

It was the day of Christmas Eve and the roads were empty, so our cab ride to an eerily quiet Budapest airport was quick and uneventful.

Up next: The Platinum Lounge Budapest, BA Club Europe BUD-LHR, The Concorde Room at LHR T5, and British Airways 777 First Class.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Loved the Kurtos- they also had them in Prague...
Can't wait to see the rest of the report... !Budapest looks amazing; probably should have squeezed it in on our last trip....

FDW
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Platinum Lounge BUD, BA C BUD-LHR, & BA Concorde Room Burger

Platinum Lounge BUD, BA C BUD-LHR, & BA Concorde Room Burger

Being the morning of Christmas Eve, security was nearly empty and we were through in about ten minutes.

It would’ve been less, but British Airways doesn’t pay for Fast Track Security at BUD for its premium passengers, unlike real luxury airlines such as AirBaltic, EasyJet and Wizzair

Stopping at Duty Free to buy one final bottle of Unicum, we eventually made it to the Platinum Lounge.

It was....fine.

Some light snacks and drinks on offer...

And a menu with some pretty odd a la carte options...

Sushi from this place? I don’t think so.

I did some work and watched planes shuffle around the tarmac for a bit.

There’s a livery you don’t see every day...

Eventually, a boarding announcement was made for our flight to Heathrow. On arrival at the gate, we got ushered downstairs onto a bus, where we waited for 15-20 minutes for more passengers to arrive. Light load today (maybe around 30 passengers), and we all rode over to the plane together.

Same “business class” as before...

Everything was running smoothly, and we were on our way in short order.

I’ll never get tired of views like this:

The flight was easy and uneventful. I didn’t get any photos of the food, as we didn’t order any, but the crew was excellent, coming around to refill drinks every few minutes. Sadly, just club soda for now...I was saving myself for the TATL

Another on-time landing, another bus ride to the terminal. This time we arrived at T3 and schlepped over to T5.

We entered the Concorde Room, and only had 20 minutes or so before we had to leave for our gate (yet another train ride away -- was this place designed by the train and bus companies?).

But first, to try the most divisive burger on FT:

My verdict? Meh. Oddly sweet (and dry) bun, dry meat. Good fries, though. And the whole thing washed down with a couple glasses of grand siècle? Terrific

We finished up and got ready for one last haul through Heathrow, and a wonderful flight home...

Up Next: BA 777 First Class, LHR-IAD
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

British Airways 777 First Class, LHR-IAD

Boarding was quick, and I changed into my pajamas right away. Something should feel wrong about wearing pajamas and drinking champagne at 5 in the afternoon, yet I felt no such shame.

(My wife, on the other hand, is the reserved and proper one, and waited patiently until we reached cruising altitude to start chugging wine.)

The seats (“junior suites”) were the same as on the inbound, so I didn’t bother re-photographing them. If you’re just joining, here are a few shots from our first flight...

The amenity kit contained all sorts of things I left behind when we landed. I’m no eye gel connoisseur, but at least it all looked nice:

The crew was terrific, just the right balance of warmth, encouragement and lack of judgment that I like in the people who pour my drinks

Some nuts and a Johnnie Walker Blue to start...

Today’s menu:

The corn cake was pretty good, though a little bland:

Langoustines and mushroom salad, however, were excellent:

I passed on the soup, but my wife liked it:

And while the beef cheek was tender and tasty, the filet was far, far too well done to get any joy from eating it:

At this point, I must confess things started going downhill a bit, at least as far as cataloguing the flight for this report. Laurent-Perrier and Johnnie began to get the best of me, and my usual cat-like reflexes to photograph everything I see started to slip.

I got about halfway through this Christmas Pudding before remembering to take a picture.

It was probably pretty good.

The cheese plate was excessive and also decent:

About six drinks later, I have no idea what I found so fascinating about this scene that I simply had to capture it for you:

After that, I slept like a baby until about 45 minutes from Dulles, and woke up for one last unnecessary indulgence before the entire week of detox I later needed to finally feel human again.

We landed on time, quickly got through Global Entry and were thrilled to be treated to a thorough Christmas Eve bag search by a group of incredibly bored customs agents.

Nearly 20 minutes later, after unpacking every corner and pocket of my bag and satisfying himself that he done his duty to keep America safe, the agent waved us along and we finally headed home.

A wonderful trip, and two incredible cities we’re excited to return to.

Coming up soon: Singapore and Bali via Cathay Pacific First Class and Singapore A380 Suites.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Thanks for an entertaining TR with nice pics.

It's great to read a report on a city one visited some 30 years ago, and immediately get an urge to go back for the food, the music, the architecture and much more.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, onobond!. Glad I could wake your nostalgia
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:32 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

thanks for finishing off the trip report... I've been overwhelmed by Johnnie and Laurent Perrier before in the past so memories tend to get fuzzy....

FDW
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
thanks for finishing off the trip report... I've been overwhelmed by Johnnie and Laurent Perrier before in the past so memories tend to get fuzzy....

FDW
Sorry it took so long. A cruel pair, those two.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Great TR, LM225. You inspired me to visit Budapest which was on my bucket list for quite some time. I'll be staying at the FS in a Danube River View Room and have a reservation at Borkonyha Winekitchen for lunch this Saturday. I'll also try some of your other restaurant suggestions. Thanks a lot for posting them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.