Reload this Page >

Weekend in New York as The City lights up for Christmas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in New York as The City lights up for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Always a fun read.

If that was artichoke ravioli my US Airways PHL-PBI on Thursday had the exact same meal choices for dinner (all the way down to the yellow and green beans).

I passed as neither sounded appetizing and didn't look appetizing either when served.

Last edited by apodo77; Dec 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:02 am

Wow, what at an awesome trip, SFO777! From the exquisite dining to the sombre memories at the WTC, great stuff. Feels like being there, and reminds me of all the movies you see on the big screen of this very photogenic city.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have been spending either the first or second week in December for the past five years on business. I was there around the same time as OP this year.

New York Hotel prices are just outrageous in December. I had my usual walk around of Midtown area as usual to soak up the Xmas atmosphere.

Great trip as it catptures the spirit and atmosphere of NYC during the pre-Xmas period.^
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
SFO777, I'm loving the way you've been reviewing restaurants. As someone for whom the food plays a major part of any trip, it's great to see these reviews.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks once again for this fascinating glimpse into the Good Life. As always, it was a real tour de force! ^^
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Wow, that AA chicken looks nothing like any part of the bird , I've ever come across. Compressed pieces maybe? And the pasta? Not Tortellini. Nice call on the Cubano!
Yeah, I believe it's from the fused scrap part.
And hard to go wrong with Tortas Frontera.

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Thanks for once again causing me to salivate while reading a trip report, SFO777. Both the dining AND shopping photos made your weekend holiday look fabulous. I'm making notes for my next getaway ...
Thank you AKCuisine. We had such a good time that we're already trying to figure out when we can go back.

Originally Posted by brooklynflyer82
Carmel is always my car service of choice when I use something other than UBER here in NYC. Also, if you plan ahead there are coupons you can print off the website that can save you $4 or $5 on airport trips.
Thanks brooklynflyer82. I'll give Carmel a try next time.

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Yum.. Tortas Frontera... I wish they had a location at every major airport...
And a +1 on that.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks for coming back to wrap this one up ^
Thanks CMK10.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Always a fun read.
If that was artichoke ravioli my US Airways PHL-PBI on Thursday had the exact same meal choices for dinner (all the way down to the yellow and green beans).
I passed as neither sounded appetizing and didn't look appetizing either when served.
I think you made a wise decision.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Wow, what at an awesome trip, SFO777! From the exquisite dining to the sombre memories at the WTC, great stuff. Feels like being there, and reminds me of all the movies you see on the big screen of this very photogenic city.
Thanks very much DanielW. I showed Mrs. SFO some of your amazing pics and told her I wanted to get a 5D Mark III like you. She "lovingly" replied "what's the point when you just use the Auto function".

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have been spending either the first or second week in December for the past five years on business. I was there around the same time as OP this year. New York Hotel prices are just outrageous in December. I had my usual walk around of Midtown area as usual to soak up the Xmas atmosphere. Great trip as it captures the spirit and atmosphere of NYC during the pre-Xmas period.^
Thank you very much UA_Flyer. NYC is a special place at Christmas, and the hotels know it.

Originally Posted by avneeshj
SFO777, I'm loving the way you've been reviewing restaurants. As someone for whom the food plays a major part of any trip, it's great to see these reviews.
Thanks so much avneeshj. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks once again for this fascinating glimpse into the Good Life. As always, it was a real tour de force! ^^
Thanks very much Seat 2A for your very kind comments. Now that winter is upon us, what wonderful trip are you planning?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks very much Seat 2A.Now that winter is upon us, what wonderful trip are you planning?
I'm trying to put together another rail odyssey around the U.S. and maybe a quick side trip to Argentina, Chile and South Africa. If there's any time left over, I'd like to take my usual spin around Colorado and the Desert Southwest. At present however, that trip's only in the conceptual stage.

I have managed to book First Class travel to Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit and Lafayette, Indiana in January. Hoo-boy!

I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'll all be looking much more forward to your next trip report! ^ ^
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:55 am

Thanks very much DanielW. I showed Mrs. SFO some of your amazing pics and told her I wanted to get a 5D Mark III like you. She "lovingly" replied "what's the point when you just use the Auto function".
Yes, a 5D3 would be in its element in NYC. Maybe Santa has a surprise for you under the tree next week?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm trying to put together another rail odyssey around the U.S. and maybe a quick side trip to Argentina, Chile and South Africa. If there's any time left over, I'd like to take my usual spin around Colorado and the Desert Southwest. At present however, that trip's only in the conceptual stage.
I have managed to book First Class travel to Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit and Lafayette, Indiana in January. Hoo-boy!
I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'll all be looking much more forward to your next trip report! ^ ^
Wow, now that sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to reading that TR. Still trying in vain so far to convince Mrs. SFO to do a luxury train trip. Sigh. Thanks again Seat2A.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Yes, a 5D3 would be in its element in NYC. Maybe Santa has a surprise for you under the tree next week?
Yeah, if Santa won't I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and treat myself.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
New York at Christmas is on my to-do list, so thanks for the appetizer, SFO777!

The 9/11 memorial pictures were very humbling. I last visited NY in 2008, so missed out on this. I remember vividly standing looking out at the WTC site from the Winter Garden area, and seeing the bridge that once connected the two complexes ending in thin air. It was very moving then, so to see the memorial must be even more thought-provoking.

How did you sneak the picture of the play in progress at The Book of Mormon?

I am astounded that your lunch at Nougatine only cost US38 for three courses!

It's sad to hear about the decline of AA domestic meals - I never thought they looked very appetising before September. I'm taking my first AA transcon flight in J in a few months' time, so it will be interesting to compare this to normal domestic flights in F.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:52 am

Thank you!! ^
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
New York at Christmas is on my to-do list, so thanks for the appetizer, SFO777!
The 9/11 memorial pictures were very humbling. I last visited NY in 2008, so missed out on this. I remember vividly standing looking out at the WTC site from the Winter Garden area, and seeing the bridge that once connected the two complexes ending in thin air. It was very moving then, so to see the memorial must be even more thought-provoking.
How did you sneak the picture of the play in progress at The Book of Mormon?
I am astounded that your lunch at Nougatine only cost US38 for three courses!
It's sad to hear about the decline of AA domestic meals - I never thought they looked very appetising before September. I'm taking my first AA transcon flight in J in a few months' time, so it will be interesting to compare this to normal domestic flights in F.
Thanks very much Genius1 and for your comments. My pics don't do the museum justice. The most memorable part of the museum is the Historical area where no pics were allowed. As for The Book of Mormon pic, that was during the curtain call when it was easy to sneak a pic or two.

Indeed US$38 for three courses was amazing. Although with wine, tax and tip, the total tab came to around $240.
Good luck on your AA transcon. If you weren't chasing BA points, I'd go with Delta whose transcon service is far superior.

Originally Posted by Linda VH
Thank you!! ^
Thank you Linda VH!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
It was nearly 3PM by the time we left the museum and we were starving. Seven minutes later we were in our next Uber with driver Sam for the 15 minute drive to Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria near Washington Square. Great atmosphere, excellent wine and thin crust pizza.
Wonderful and happy trip report - thanks!

For any other Otto lovers our there (simple, tasty meals) the Battali joint in The Venetian (was Enoteca San Marcos) has become an Otto as well. Joy! (A few years ago actually, but I thought I would stick it in here regardless).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.