Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Austria, Switzerland & Warsaw - Flying in J (OS, LX & LO 787) Riding Trains & Hiking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austria, Switzerland & Warsaw - Flying in J (OS, LX & LO 787) Riding Trains & Hiking!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Firewind
FindAWay, superior again. Thank you very much.

Where were all the people in Warsaw? The train stations, the local trains and the squares looked vacant. Were you just there at off hours?
Thank you for reading and posting!

I think we must have been in Warsaw during off hours...although, apparently, off hours include 8am-11am on a Tuesday morning. The trains were probably more full than they look in the photos - I try to minimize the people in my pictures on trains & planes because of how identifiable people are in close-ups.

The city did start getting busier around 10:30am. For example, the first of the following photos was probably around 9:00am and the second (from a very similar spot) was probably around 11:00am...you can see people did start to fill-in:

Photo Below: Sigismund's Column and Royal Castle – Warsaw, Poland

Photo Below: Royal Castle – Warsaw, Poland
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:50 pm

I loved this TR. Beautiful pictures especially of the Swiss mountains which are truly memorable. Looks like a great trip
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by lizzie1715
I loved this TR. Beautiful pictures especially of the Swiss mountains which are truly memorable. Looks like a great trip
I'm glad you read and enjoyed my TR! ^ Thank you for complimenting the pictures. We definitely had a very memorable and enjoyable trip.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Amazing! Well done, FindAWay. Pictures are fantastic. One question, what was the price difference on those train fares between first and second class? Was it much more between the two? And did some trains not offer FC? Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarylandFlyer244
Amazing! Well done, FindAWay. Pictures are fantastic. One question, what was the price difference on those train fares between first and second class? Was it much more between the two? And did some trains not offer FC? Thanks!
Thanks for reading and posting your compliments! ^

In Austria, we rode trains in "first class." But, "business class" is a higher class of service on those routes. The price difference between "second class" and "first class" wasn't too much when we purchased so far in advance - that's why we chose first instead of second class.

In Switzerland, we used a rail pass almost exclusively; so, we had to choose between first and second class when purchasing the pass. We chose the a pass for second class because several of the trains we were going to take using the pass offered second class as the highest class of service and a first class pass was significantly more expensive.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA, IHG
FindAWay:

I saw your trip report last year; however, was not a member of the forums. Now, I am, so I can respond as well :-)

When I saw your photos in Switzerland last year, I almost cried! No kidding. We were there for nearly a week last summer and had the most awful weather. We had to resort to plan B and, though we were still able to make a trip out of it, we spent much more time travelling that we had originally wished to, and we did not really see the top of Jungfrau even once :-( [OK, maybe once, but just barely] Your photos are what we ought to have seen ... had we been there at the same time as you! :-)

Couple of questions: how do you embed your photos so that they don't link back to the source? In other words, when I hover over your photos, I cannot see where they are stored ... unlike when I hover over my photos in my trip report.

Would you mind sharing your other photos (those that did not make the trip report)? Via PM, maybe?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:47 am

Beautiful pictures.

If you like the Alps and hiking there are beautiful mountain resorts in Austria:

Kitzbuhel
Badgastein
Lech

And if you like warm lakes Velden am Worthersee.

It always rains in the lake district around salzbourg.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by an_asker
FindAWay:

I saw your trip report last year; however, was not a member of the forums. Now, I am, so I can respond as well :-)

When I saw your photos in Switzerland last year, I almost cried! No kidding. We were there for nearly a week last summer and had the most awful weather. We had to resort to plan B and, though we were still able to make a trip out of it, we spent much more time travelling that we had originally wished to, and we did not really see the top of Jungfrau even once :-( [OK, maybe once, but just barely] Your photos are what we ought to have seen ... had we been there at the same time as you! :-)

Couple of questions: how do you embed your photos so that they don't link back to the source? In other words, when I hover over your photos, I cannot see where they are stored ... unlike when I hover over my photos in my trip report.

Would you mind sharing your other photos (those that did not make the trip report)? Via PM, maybe?
Glad you enjoyed the TR! Sorry, the weather didn't cooperate for your trip.

My photos are hosted using picasa aka google photos and just linked directly to the photo. I don't have too many that weren't included in the Trip Report to share.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Beautiful pictures.

If you like the Alps and hiking there are beautiful mountain resorts in Austria:

Kitzbuhel
Badgastein
Lech

And if you like warm lakes Velden am Worthersee.

It always rains in the lake district around salzbourg.
Thanks for the recommendations!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:45 am

Thank you for this detailed TR Findaway!

I am contemplating a Salzburg trip myself and your meticulous notes on the Salzburg-Zurich train ride are very helpful!

Last edited by iluvdoco; Sep 28, 2016 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Thank you for this detailed TR Findaway!

I am contemplating a Salzburg trip myself and your meticulous notes on the Salzburg-Zurich train ride are very helpful!
Glad you were able to put my details to use! I hope your trip has better weather than our trip! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.