Search

Qatar LHR-DOH-DXB-DOH-LHR J&F incl Business One

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, AAdvantage
Qatar LHR-DOH-DXB-DOH-LHR J&F incl Business One

Trip report Qatar Airways LHR-DOH-DXB-DOH-LHR Business and First Class

My wife and I decided to book a short break in the UAE for sunshine and relaxation – at short notice. Having previously been to Dubai, we wanted to try Abu Dhabi for contrast. Given the low cost of taxis between Abu Dhabi and Dubai, we were not too concerned about which airport to fly to. Trying to find a bargain price to fly to DXB or AUH in half-term week with only a few days’ notice is not easy! I couldn’t find an economy flight with sensible flight times for less than well over Ł1,000 per head, which seemed farcically poor value, so I looked around and found a great fare on Qatar Airways to Dubai via Doha for only a little less than Y direct to DXB or AUH. Not having travelled QR before, I was intrigued and their membership of One World meant I would earn a bucketful of tier points, so that settled it.

We didn’t have a choice of flight to Doha. Despite QR flying six times per day to DOH, only one flight had availability at the lowest price. I was interested to note that while EK have a simple schedule – six flights a day, all operated by A380, QR’s is far more complex, with 77Ws, A330-300s, A340-600s, 787s, A380s and A319s all flying the route during this year. Fortunately, our only option was the one I was eager to sample: the so-called Business One service. This is operated by an A319LR, in an all-Business Class configuration with just 40 J seats and is the last QR flight out of LHR in the evening. Oddly, it departs only 25 minutes after the previous flight. I would have thought it would make sense to amalgamate the two and roster an A380 on the flight.

We arrived at the check-in area and, due to my BA Gold / OW Emerald card, by-passed the Business Class queue and went to the First Class desk. The agent was super-friendly and very chatty and put us in a good mood for our holiday. He explained where the QR lounge is in T4 and we went on our way. The Fast Track security was fast in theory, save for an old lady in front of me who took a while to get through, but that was random and no big problem.

QR Check In LHR T4

We then headed to the lounge. This used to be one of BA’s lounges in the days before Terminal 5, but QR have ripped it up and started again. And they have certainly lavished money on it. The décor oozes luxury and is understated and sophisticated. All guests are entitled to eat in the formal restaurant and there is a more informal dining area for those wanting to eat from the excellent selection of charcuterie, cheeses, mezze and desserts. The bar also features a selection of premium champagnes.

QR Lounge LHR T4

We chose the formal option as we had skipped lunch and were starving. We both had the steak frites, which was delicious.

Steak frites

I then snaffled about a dozen Lindt chocolates in a chow-mein style box to ensure I was really getting my money’s worth.

Chocolate chow mein

Flight 1
QR 16 LHR-DOH
A319LR
Flight time 6 h 36 m

We saw our ride arrive. Such a small aircraft does not need the 2 hours+ a widebody needs to turn around, and she is only scheduled to be on the ground for 90 minutes at LHR. Soon it was time to board.

QR A319LR

My first impressions of the aircraft were very favourable. The mood lighting gave a very luxurious feel to the cabin and the 2:2 configuration seats looked inviting. The seats are slightly angled towards the window, so that you are not quite sitting next to your seat mate, which makes it preferable if travelling alone and sitting next to a stranger. The downside, apart from lack of direct aisle access for window seats, is that the two very large screens are next to each other, making it quite distracting to view your screen with another screen in your peripheral vision.

A319LR seat and cabin

Washbags (by Salvatore Ferragamo) were distributed, as were pyjamas – nice touch for Business Class.

Pyjamas and washbag

The cabin was a hive of activity before take-off, with 6 cabin crew assisting the passengers, which felt exciting, but not relaxing. Soon we were ready to go and the lights were dimmed for take-off. The Pilot announced a flight time of 6 hours and 36 minutes versus a schedule of 6 hours 45 minutes, so our chances of reaching Doha on time were limited - particularly as we pushed back 14 minutes late.

Menus were distributed and the catering is theoretically on an anytime basis, allowing passengers to order what they want, when they want it. On this flight, most people either ate dinner just after take-off or went straight to sleep.

The wine list was printed on the highest-quality, heaviest, glossiest print I’ve ever seen! Sadly, the champagne on this flight was not the Krug I had been hoping for. First World Problems…

My favourite thing about Qatar airways was the delicious mint and lemon juice. So refreshing!

Mint/lemon juice and Rose Champagne

Lobster Amuse Bouche

Mezze appetiser

Chicken main course

Not too long after dinner, it was time for breakfast!

Granola breakfast

Frittata

I had spotted an ‘opportunity’ soon after take-off when I noticed that no-one had suggested to passengers that they might want to close their window blinds before going to sleep, so most were open. About 90 minutes before landing the cabin became quite bright very quickly. I asked the crew to see if they could close some window blinds, which they did, but it was quite a palaver for them. It would be easier if the crew requested after take-off that passengers close them before going to sleep.

The view coming in to land was stunning.

Doha

Routing

The downside to the A319 is that its cruise is a little slower than larger aircraft, meaning it takes around half an hour longer to get to Doha. This meant that our connection became quite tight. We were scheduled to have 1 hour 20 minutes to connect, but our flight was 32 minutes late, giving us only 48 minutes until our flight to Dubai departed. We parked in the A gates, disembarked and noticed to our horror that the Dubai flight was from E gates, which necessitated us running the whole way across the cavernous Hamad International airport, with only the briefest of pauses to snap the famous 30 foot teddy bear en route. We made it to the next gate as almost the last passengers to board the bus. Had we been a little older, we would probably have missed the flight if we had just walked.

30-foot teddy bear

Flight 2
QR 1006 DOH-DXB
A320
Flight time 44 m

The bus at Doha made me laugh. Economy and First (the premium cabin on QR short-haul is called First, with no business on the narrow—body fleet) are bussed separately. The First Class bus has seating only for twelve, in throne-like armchairs. A nice touch, but the seats look over-the-top.

Luxury bus

A320

The A320 First Class cabin for short-haul is an excellent product, with super-wide seats and excellent seat pitch. I do wish European airlines had a similar product. It might make me want to part with money to fly in such a seat, rather than the pathetic product on Lufthansa, Air France, BA etc.

The obligatory leg room shot

First Class seat

The flight time was announced at 55 minutes (versus 1:10 scheduled trip time) – although actually took 44 minutes. We were offered an aperitif and a bowl of nuts and a choice of hot or cold towel before take-off, as well Arabic coffee served from the beautiful coffee pot.

Arabic coffee pot

After take-off, a full hot meal service was offered, which took most of the flight to distribute, eat and collect back in. Soon we were lining up for landing in Dubai.

Short haul meal

After landing, we were met by the car service for the Shangri La Abu Dhabi, which was more expensive than a cab (by some margin), but a nice treat, being a top of the range BMW 7 series. On the way back, we simply caught a cab.

IFE on the BMW 7 series

Shangri La Abu Dhabi

Bathroom

View of Grand Mosque from balcony

After a week of relaxation, it was sadly time to fly home. I was looking forward to the feeder flight from DXB to DOH, as it was an A340-600. I was amused by the notion of having flat-bed Business Class seats on such a huge aircraft for such a short flight.

At check in, we went to the First Class desk and the man looked up our reservations and immediately picked up the phone and called operations and said ‘I have two stand-by passengers….’. My heart sank – we had confirmed tickets! How were we stand-by? I was concerned that we would not get home that day as our flight from DOH to LHR was the last flight of the day. After a while, he put the phone down and said ‘I have good news: you have been upgraded to First Class’. How exciting! Now we were going to be on even bigger flat beds for the short hop to Dubai.

The lounge offering in DXB is poor. QR do not have their own lounge in DXB and use the International Hotel shared lounge. We went in for a moment and decided instead to look at the shops.

Flight 3
QR 1011 DXB-DOH
A340-600*
Flight time 44 minutes
*to my annoyance, not an A340-600

Soon it was time to board. We went to the gate and I saw….. the smallest A340-600 I’ve ever seen…. From the small number of passengers boarding (later confirmed by cabin crew), QR had clearly substituted the 346 for an A321 due to the light load. Economically and environmentally the right thing to do, but irritating for me. The cheek of the check in agent to say we had been upgraded to First: technically true, of course, but massively misleading. I had a ticket for a flat bed Business Class on a 346. Then they ‘upgraded’ us to, what I thought was, a mega-flat-bed. In fact, we had been moved to a smaller seat on a smaller plan. It felt like a downgrade to me, but technically it is an upgrade from J to F. After being irritated for 10 seconds, I let it slide. The flight time of 44 minutes meant it wasn’t really an issue!

A321 First Class cabin

Mint/lemon drink and nuts

The A340-600 we should have been on, parked at DOH

On arrival at Doha, we went to flight connections and then to the huge lounge. Whoah! It’s the largest lounge I’ve ever seen. And it was practically empty. Facilities include an iPad at every seat and boxes of chocolates, a large water feature and two restaurant areas. As it was so empty, the staffing level was probably excessive. As I went to the men’s room, a member of staff followed me in and waited while I conducted my business before helping me wash my hands. His heart was in the right place, but it was disconcerting!

Lounge at Doha Hamad International

This lounge did feature Krug, and we made sure we got our money’s worth. Delicious, with its signature honey-sweetness.

Flight 4
QR 5 DOH to LHR
A330-300
Flight time 7 h 16 min

As we got to the gate, I could see our A330-300 and boarding for premium passengers commenced straight away. The agent scanned our cards, and they double-beeped. After a few seconds of uncertainty, the agent ripped up our boarding cards and issued us new ones: we had been upgraded to First Class. Now this was a much more useful flight to be upgraded on - and this time it was indeed a genuine upgrade.

A330-300 First Class cabin

Window seats much wider than middle seats

Washbags were handed out. Giorgio Armani this time. If I were Ferragamo’s Marketing Director I might be upset that their brand is Business Class with Armani being First Class.

Armani washbag (men)

Armani washbag (women)

Sadly there were no pyjamas in Business or First. Pretty much all passengers asked for PJs and the crew had to explain that there were none as it is considered a day flight. It leaves in darkness at 520pm and arrives in London at 1am Doha time, so most passengers slept part of the way. I think offering pyjamas on this flight, certainly in First, would be a good idea.
My impression of the cabin was that it looked a little dated. Rationally, however, it isn’t very different to the cabins of EK et al. Add a door to the aisle and it would be more or less the same as the suites on other airlines. But the dated nature of the materials means it feels less luxurious on first glance than it is. Qatar are refurbishing the A330s and removing the First Class product, with the new Business Class (same seat as AA, Cathay et al) being installed instead. First will essentially become an A380-only product. All of this notwithstanding, I liked the cabin and was grateful for the upgrade.

Flight time to London would be 7 hours and 16 minutes. After take-off, orders for food were taken. As the crew began to distribute the appetisers, something happened that I’ve not experienced before: an announcement came over the speakers asking if there was a doctor or medical practioner on board. Then the crew walked through the cabin with the various medical kits on board. The remaining crew explained that the dinner service would have to be suspended during that time. I surmised that this was because we might need to make a stop. Looking at the moving map, I was hoping that the person would be ok, but that if we had to stop, that we make that decision fairly soon with options of Bahrain, Kuwait or a return to Doha, rather than finding ourselves flying along the Iran/Iraq border. It took quite some time for the situation to be resolved and the crew didn’t communicate any specifics, but after a while dinner resumed and the medical kits were returned to the front of the aircraft. I hope the person was ok!

Crab Cake Amuse Bouche

Lobster ravioli

Chicken curry

Laduree dessert

Cheese course

Peppermint tea

After watching a couple of movies, it was time for a second meal. As the menu was ‘eat anytime’, I ordered the caviar, followed by the gnocchi.

Caviar

Gnocchi

My overall feeling about Qatar Airways? Positive. Service is attentive and the soft product (food, wines, wash bags etc) is excellent and more than justify the 5 Star Airline tag. The seats on short haul in First are excellent, compared to European short haul. The Business Class seats (on older aircraft like 330s, 340s and the Business Class 319) are good if not stellar. I would prefer the greater privacy of BA or the newer seats that QR are fitting to 787s, 380s and refurbished 330s. The lounges at Doha and Heathrow are unbelievably impressive. The lounge arrangement at DXB was disappointing, however.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:51 am

Very nice trip report. It looks like you resized the pictures. I've done the same on my recent TR, trying to save everyone some download time. I think that you could make your pics a little larger. That way, I'd be able to enjoy them a little more.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks - you're right about sizing I think. But I just inserted from Flickr without specifying a size. I can't quite figure out what to do to make them bigger!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:16 pm

I used picasa to batch process my photos...I wonder if you could easily figure out which photos you used and then rerun them? Or maybe just do it differently for your next TR?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Thanks for the TR! Makes me want to fly Qatar more but they don't serve many West Coast cities just yet, making it harder for me to connect to them... and they need better fares ex-USA.

The lounges in DOH look terrific. Still don't get that teddy bear.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

The Teddy bear is bizarre but quite fun. The Lounge in Doha is just beautiful.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The "IFE on the BMW 7 series" looks tasty..
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Thanks for the TR, I agree on your points. Qatar has an incredible variety of J seats, so it makes it a hit or miss. Lounges at DOH are great (the city as well) and service always immaculate.
I had the odd sensation of haging a member of staff always present as well, I had asked for an hairdryer and the guy who brought it to me remained next to me for the whole time I was drying my hair!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.