Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Tokyo, Taipei and Hong Kong! (JL/CX F, BR Hello Kitty C, lots of city pix)

Tokyo, Taipei and Hong Kong! (JL/CX F, BR Hello Kitty C, lots of city pix)

Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G
Nice TR and love your foodie pictures too.I'll be flying JL F in 6 weeks,looking forward to it.How was the IFE btw?
As for T-mobile I just switched from ATT and tested it in the UK and in Hungary.London was completely fine but in Budapest it was functional but closer to dial-up speed,i don't have high expectation on my Vietnam,Cambodia trip in january
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by olgsr
Nice TR and love your foodie pictures too.I'll be flying JL F in 6 weeks,looking forward to it.How was the IFE btw?
As for T-mobile I just switched from ATT and tested it in the UK and in Hungary.London was completely fine but in Budapest it was functional but closer to dial-up speed,i don't have high expectation on my Vietnam,Cambodia trip in january
Thanks!

JL's IFE interface was fantastic but I honestly can't remember anything about the selection. I don't think I actually watched any movies, none of them interested me.

You can see the selection online actually: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/int...2.html#magic_3

I watched Boyhood on my return flight on CX, great film. Reminded me a lot of my youth in Texas.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Part 5.1: Taipei's Night Markets

I visited a number of night markets in Taipei during my four days. Shilin, Keelung, Raohe Street and Tonghua.

Keelung was up first. A port city north of Taipei, Keelung hosts a large night market. Clearly heavily touristed, every stall had an English sign.

The place gets pretty crowded.

On to the food.

Grilled meat on the stick. Hard to beat that.

Wrap stuffed with meat, peanuts, peppers and onions. Fantastic, almost like a pad thai burrito, just to butcher a few different cuisines.

Some sort of dumpling soup. Anyone care to figure it out?

Sweet peanut soup. Goes great with a squirt of lemon juice. Once again, names are welcome.

Taipei's most famous market is Shilin. Don't go there, trust me. Not even worth posting photos.

Raohe Street, on the other hand, is absolutely worth your time.

Yeah, don't remember what this was either. But it was tasty.

Stood in line for about 15 minutes to get these dumplings.

Followed that up with a delicious oyster omelette. The red stuff is strawberry sauce, better than it sounds:

Was too full to try this but it looked good:

That's one way to make a living.

The final market was Tonghua. Not nearly as large as the others nor does it have has many food options but if you're in the area anyways, you could do worse. It's not too far from Taipei 101.

Up next: Hong Kong, we finally meet
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by dcmike
Great trip report!! I just made the switch from AT&T to T-Mobile as well - how did the data roaming work? I still can't believe it's included in plan.
I just tried mine for the first time earlier this month. It worked amazing in FRA, BUD, and MUC. A little slow, but very usable.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:01 pm

Very nice TR. Thanks for doing this! Did you gain much weight from all the good food?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
Very nice TR. Thanks for doing this! Did you gain much weight from all the good food?
Thanks!

I haven't actually stepped on a scale since I got back. Avoiding that moment.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Great TR! I actually really enjoyed the Shilin night markets in Taipei!

I was in HKG for Halloween and they take it very seriously as well - it was a mental night out.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

(Now that I've woken up from my turkey coma...)

Part 6: Hong Kong, glad to finally meet you

I visited Hong Kong once about two and a half years ago but I only had one night. Originally I was supposed to arrive at 6PM and depart at 1PM the next day. I figured I'd have enough time to go up to the Peak, have a good dinner, maybe a drink, wake up for a dim sum breakfast and get back to the airport for my flight to BKK. United, of course, had other plans for me as our 744 went MX for six hours and I didn't arrive until midnight.

This time, my flight to HKG was a quick hop in BR Y. Check-in took slightly longer than forever. I have no idea why but everything was done with pen and paper—at their TPE hub! Maybe systems were down. Check-in took at least half an hour since I still had to pay the fare difference for my date change, it hadn't been collected in advance. The check-in agent couldn't take payment so I was sent off to another desk, then sent back to the first desk to actually check in.

At least I was able to get an exit row with no seat in front of me. ^

Blew my remaining NTD on more candy and treats for friends back home. Mini red bean cakes were all I bought at first. My flight was delayed an hour and I still had about US$10 worth of NTD in my pocket at the gate so I stepped into the adjacent store and decided to buy the oddest thing I could find. Wound up with a box of plum wine jelly. I assume this is basically a Taiwanese jello shot?

Arrival in HKG was a bit of an ordeal. Ping-ponged around a few ATMs before I found one that would take my Schwab card and then the MTR machine wouldn't take my brand new HKD bills so I had to wait in line at the manned counter.

Once I reached Hong Kong station I still had to get to the Conrad. I knew the shuttle bus was suspended due to Occupy so I was planning to take a cab but our delay pushed my arrival into rush hour so I wound up jamming myself and my suitcase onto an absolutely packed MTR train. Finding that was also complicated: the machine next to the fare gate between Hong Kong and Central stations only takes coins, not notes. An employee saw about ten tourists standing there—all of us fresh from the airport with no coins —and manually opened the gate. No one thought about this?

Got lost a few times in the Pacific Place mall before I finally found the entrance to the Conrad. I had the same problem last year with the Conrad Seoul, it's mall entrance is also hard to spot the first time through.

As a Gold member I was upgraded to an exec room with a partial harbor view. I was at the very end of the building (which is shaped like a long pointy oval) so I could see both Victoria Harbor and Victoria Peak. ^

I was very pleased with my stay, though it wasn't as nice as the Conrad Seoul, I thought the staff at that location were more proactively helpful than here. The location is great though. Right on top of an MTR station, five minute walk to Wan Chai, not too far from Soho.

The rooms could probably use a refresh.

The marble in the bathrooms is a little gaudy for my taste.

I was given a daily amenity of a fruit plate.

I took breakfast in the restaurant the first four days, free as a Gold member.

I do not recommend sitting outside.

On my final morning I ate breakfast in the lounge:

I also tried the afternoon tea one day:

In true FlyerTalk fashion, you can earn CX AsiaMiles for doing laundry at a shop in the attached mall.

Owned by Swire Group, also the largest shareholder in CX.

Overall, I probably wouldn't rush to stay at this Conrad again unless I found myself with a glut of HHonors points or they had a really great rate. That said, the location is very convenient for tourists (though given how simple HKG transport is, that can probably be said of most hotels). The fitness facilities weren't great (though at least not as jam-packed as the Grand Hyatt Tokyo's weight area!). I didn't feel as welcome as I did at the Conrad Seoul, where the on-duty manager welcomed me on arrival, the lounge staff helped me plan my day and provided all manner of maps and information. Here I sometimes felt like I was inconveniencing the staff. Perhaps these are just cultural differences. I don't need to be fawned over but I wouldn't mind a smile...

Up next: Occupy Hong Kong
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:41 pm

Amazing, keep it up! ^ Love the food pictures!

I am super jealous you got to eat to Sushi Iwa - it was indeed a blessing that you ordered the omakase there.

You are in for a treat if you're flying NRT-ORD in JL F again, I guarantee you that the western meal catered out of Tokyo is miles better!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
Amazing, keep it up! ^ Love the food pictures!

I am super jealous you got to eat to Sushi Iwa - it was indeed a blessing that you ordered the omakase there.

You are in for a treat if you're flying NRT-ORD in JL F again, I guarantee you that the western meal catered out of Tokyo is miles better!
Thanks! I project I'll be sleeping for most of my NRT-ORD JL F flight next year. I arrive at 1PM from PEK and depart 11AM the next day. Don't plan on getting a hotel that night.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Part 6.1: Occupy Hong Kong: The Umbrella Revolution

I'm *not* going to talk at all about politics. For one, I don't know enough about the situation. Two, I don't want to get into OMNI territory. Just going to talk about how it affected my stay and include a few photos.

As mentioned before, the first impact Occupy had on my stay was the suspension of the shuttle from Hong Kong station to the Conrad. Annoying but it wasn't a huge deal.

My first sighting of Occupy was from my hotel room:

For the most part, my trip wasn't affected at all. Sorry if you were hoping for drama.

I did walk around the Occupy site in Central on Connaught Rd. The other big site was in Mongkok but I didn't go to that one.

The site was a five or ten minute walk from the Conrad.

Everything seemed pretty calm. At first I was a little unsure of myself but once I realized nobody cared that I was taking photos I just walked around for a bit.

An impromptu speech, from ground-level and above.

Virtually every inch of wall space was covered in posters.

The skywalks above the protest site had a few tired protestors sleeping in tents. The railings were covered in posters and, err, declarations: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan_t...57649373810441

(That one has non-FT approved language, so link only)

Having been to other protest sites around the world, this was definitely the cleanest. I was in Marseille when Sarkozy tried to raise the retirement age and all the garbage collectors went on strike—I've got photos of tear gas being thrown from that trip.

A sea of tents filled with protestors. I never felt unsafe. There were a few police officers off to the side, they seem to have brought their own folding chairs and were really just hanging out laughing amongst themselves.

Up next: Looking around Hong Kong
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Thanks! I'm hoping to get the rest of the report up this weekend.

Unfortunately your image is broken for me.
Oh, here he is, coffee was so good I got another small one on the way back to the station.

Superb photos again. Making note of all the spots when I get to HK and Taipei in February.

Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:25 pm

The meatball is called "ba wan": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba-wan.

The pink sauce on your oyster omelet should just be a very sweet (and pink) chili sauce and shouldn't have strawberries.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Very nice report!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Great pics. Thanks for sharing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.