Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Sussex to Antarctica-a bucket list item ticked!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Sussex to Antarctica-a bucket list item ticked!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Blimey,this is turning into an epic! Only hotel available in Punta Arenas is 3 hours drive from port,so Ponant are putting us up on our original ship,Le Soleal tonight,before boarding Silver Explorer tomorrow! So we will still get to see it,and can quiz the crew about what happened..
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:46 am

This is a pain in the neck, but Silverseas is awesome/
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You've had some adventure so far and you haven't set sail yet.This'll be a holiday you won't forget in a hurry.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Indeed Hiddy,we made it complete with baggage,LAN were awesome- they could teach BA a thing or two about having buses ready on arrival! Spent the night on Le Soleal- it's stunning! Very chic,full of French flair,immaculate and very high tech.Skipper said Chilean pilot boat led them into narrow fjord,and a 55kt wind blew up,causing them to touch bottom. There was a definate "crease" in the hull that needed divers to examine,so trip cancelled. Silver Explorer has won many awards,but the ship itself is nowhere near as sophisticated nor pretty as Soleal.
Just sailed from Punta Arenas enroute for Puerto Williams.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines
I'm so glad you made it! Now let the second adventure begin!
Looking forward to further reports.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well done for keeping 'keeping on' it really is a special part of the World......
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Well done for keeping 'keeping on' it really is a special part of the World......
Hope so,we are crossing the Drake passage right now....a few greenish complexions around!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Nearly everybody goes green around the gills on Drake's passage.... The swell can be immense. Things will improve...!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by no longer atc
Hope so,we are crossing the Drake passage right now....a few greenish complexions around!
That's why we don't go cruising.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Actually, sea conditions in the Drake right now are pretty benign. Suspect the folks feeling ill would do so in a bathtub!
Waves are only around 2-4 metres,it's not unpleasant outside.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

My goodness. This really is an adventure. Good for you to persevere.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Much rougher in the Drake today,winds around 50kts with a temp of -2c. Capt has banned anyone from venturing on deck. Only the hardiest made breakfast...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Wow - you call this a holiday?

Seriously though, sounds great - it's still on my bucket list to make my way down to the south of south america. Enjoy.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Wind peaked at 120kts yesterday evening,with an 8 m wave height,dining room only half full of the hardier pax, mostly sailors!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 am

LOL

I can't believe this. People pay $15,000 for a cruise so that they can lie down in their cabins and vomit?

Just kidding. I always wanted to do a cruise like this but I want to also visit the Falklands.

Thanks for the news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.