Kathmandu and trekking in Nepal via Etihad First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kathmandu and trekking in Nepal via Etihad First Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Another amazing Trip Report from SFO777! Looking forward to hearing from such a not-often-seen country here on FT.

Last edited by themapelligroup; Nov 3, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Can't wait for the rest of this one! That trip is at the very top of my bucket list (Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp treks)!

An aside about the UA cookies: last night on UA1177 EWR-ORD, I mentioned to the FA how much I enjoy the warm cookies, and she gave me two. When I thanked her and told her that I would bring the extra home to my wife (and thus score some brownie points), she disappeared into the galley and brought me...four more cookies to take with me! It was one of those moments when I was glad to have stuck with UA for the time being.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Great TR as normal!

A Valpolicella in F?! Seriously? I can imagine that wasn't doing much for you.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:48 am

Great TR so far...I think something similar is on our bucket list to hopefully occur sooner rather than later. I look forward to the rest of the TR!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jacobac00
What a great way to start the work week! Thank you for another great looking TR SFO777. Now I just need to find a way to turn my UA Y flight from IAH-FRA this Saturday, into what I'm looking at above.
Thanks jacobac00. Ouch on your UA Y flight. Good luck.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The ease of obtaining Etihad F is the biggest gift our AA miles have given us in the last year. It's fun to relive my recent trip thru your pictures. I've got another booked in 2015. I really enjoyed Kathmandu, far more than I expected. I look forward to your impression of the town.
Thank you SanDiego1K. Even though the word is out and EY is getting stingier with releasing seats, the addition of new gateways should keep this great use of miles open for a while.

Originally Posted by avm2806
How were the crew? I've heard very mixed reviews and for that reason, very apprehensive to try flying EY over CX or LH.
Crew was great. I've never had a bad one even on regional EY flights.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Looking forward to it SFO777....this was the highlight of a slow Monday! Have a great trip.
Thanks very much Madone59.

Originally Posted by exmike
Did you decide to post this exactly a year later, when Brady again dismantled the Broncos?
Ouch. Thanks for the reminder and for rubbing it in. Peyton and cold weather. Not a good combination.

Originally Posted by anaggie
Are you heading to EBC?
What/where is EBC??

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Another amazing Trip Report from SFO777! Looking forward to hearing from such a not-often-seen country here on FT.
Thank you themapelligroup. We're looking forward to our visit.

Originally Posted by zcat18
Can't wait for the rest of this one! That trip is at the very top of my bucket list (Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp treks)!
An aside about the UA cookies: last night on UA1177 EWR-ORD, I mentioned to the FA how much I enjoy the warm cookies, and she gave me two. When I thanked her and told her that I would bring the extra home to my wife (and thus score some brownie points), she disappeared into the galley and brought me...four more cookies to take with me! It was one of those moments when I was glad to have stuck with UA for the time being.
Thanks so much zcat18. I am warming up to UA and open to taking another look. Discount Dougie is depressing the heck out of me. I fly UA 6-7 times a year and I honestly can't recall anything other than great crews and consistent PDBs. The food, lack of Wifi and power is another story but hopefully this will gradually improve.

Originally Posted by greg5
Great TR as normal!
A Valpolicella in F?! Seriously? I can imagine that wasn't doing much for you.
Thanks greg5. Yeah, none of the reds I tried were very good. QR's Business Class wines are better.

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Great TR so far...I think something similar is on our bucket list to hopefully occur sooner rather than later. I look forward to the rest of the TR!
Thank you bmrisko.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:23 pm

Should be fun! How old is your son? Is it easy for him to get away? If he can't get away for your next father-son trip, you can adopt me. My parents won't mind and with a wife and 2 girls, I've gotten good at schlepping everyone's stuff

Was your United flight a paid or miles trip? Did they check your bags through?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Great pics as usual and slightly shocked that United is now serving decent food options...

How long are you staying in Nepal?
I have three or perhaps four days booked in January (going there via Etihad 787-900! and Jet 77W F) , probably staying at the Hyatt to burn a Suite upgrade. I will be either country 99 or 100 (Bhutan is other possibility)

Quick question, how are the food options for the second meal on Etihad, is it pick anything from the menu ala CX or are they more tied into a "breakfast" even if the flight lands late afternoon...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA
Thanks for another TR SFO777.

I think anaggie is referring to Everest Base Camp (EBC)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
Should be fun! How old is your son? Is it easy for him to get away? If he can't get away for your next father-son trip, you can adopt me. My parents won't mind and with a wife and 2 girls, I've gotten good at schlepping everyone's stuff Was your United flight a paid or miles trip? Did they check your bags through?
Thanks farbster. Jr. is mid-30s and taking vacation from work. I have enough kids thank you. LOL. UA was paid First, discounted P fare. No checked bags. Carry-ons only.

Originally Posted by theshaun
Thanks for another TR SFO777.
I think anaggie is referring to Everest Base Camp (EBC)
Thank you theshaun for the clarification. I looked up airport codes. LOL.
No EBC, just the baby Annapurna.

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Great pics as usual and slightly shocked that United is now serving decent food options...
How long are you staying in Nepal?
I have three or perhaps four days booked in January (going there via Etihad 787-900! and Jet 77W F) , probably staying at the Hyatt to burn a Suite upgrade. I will be either country 99 or 100 (Bhutan is other possibility)
Quick question, how are the food options for the second meal on Etihad, is it pick anything from the menu ala CX or are they more tied into a "breakfast" even if the flight lands late afternoon...
Thanks very much jfkeze. Yeah, the UA salad was good. We're in Nepal for 7 days. Yeah we missed the EY787 by a month or so. Lots of great good options on board at any time. Here's the complete menu.

And wine list.

Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Ker and Downey Lodges
interesting!

btw in bhutan >
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...&LangType=1033
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You know AA has gone crazy when you see AAers booking flights on UA, the airline nearly everybody loves to hate!

I'm definitely going to enjoy this TR.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With an early morning departure and no Mrs. SFO to please, I opted for the Premier Inn conveniently located adjacent to the T3 parking garage, and only 5 minute indoor walk from the terminal. Nothing fancy here, but clean and inexpensive overnight stay. About $110 including two waters and free Wifi.

After a few hours sleep, we were both awake by 5AM so decided to head on over to the airport for breakfast in the lounge. The walk from the hotel to the terminal.

The Etihad Business Class check-in counters.

The security line was short and we were in the secure area in no time. The close in lounge is now closed, apparently to be converted to a First Class only lounge. That should be interesting. Apparently, improvements at DOH are having a ripple effect here.

So off we go to find the Gate 35 Premium Lounge.

Nice and big, although no where near as nice as the new Qatar lounge at DOH.

Three dining areas and buffet stations with a very nice selection of breakfast options.

A little later, breakfast was replaced by some very nice snack offerings.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 4, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Thanks for the link. Those are definitely Princess-like prices. We're roughing for a lot less.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You know AA has gone crazy when you see AAers booking flights on UA, the airline nearly everybody loves to hate!
I'm definitely going to enjoy this TR.
Thanks krazykanuck. If you'd told me a few months ago that I'd now be avoided AA like the plague, I'd have thought you were crazy.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Stay safe on the Anapurna.
Weather was less than favorable last month...

DLP
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:37 am

Great to see you on this side of the world again, SFO777^.

Looking forward to your adventures in the Himalaya's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.