Reload this Page >

New American 777-200 retrofit Business Class (AA 772 J) trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New American 777-200 retrofit Business Class (AA 772 J) trip report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:04 am

THANKS for this post and especially the photos of middle seats. You just made it easy for us to choose seats - couple flying together; got more insight from you than the nice AA lady.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
So when I booked my DFW-SCL-DFW flight, I was booked on the new config 772. A few weeks after booking, they swapped out my return for the old 3-class 777. Disappointing, but fine. So today, when I arrive at the airport, I found out they have once again swapped out my originating flight down to SCL for the 3-class 777.

I'm a little pissed as I was really looking forward to enjoying the new J class and the lay-flat seating. Instead, I'm stuck in AA's glorious 1990's angle seats for 9 hours down to South America. And to top it off, they're flying F class completely empty. You'd think they'd at least fill F class with ExPlat's or Plats so they could enjoy the lay flat seats. I'm not asking for the "Five Star Service"... just a bed which I was looking forward to. Argh!!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Had my first experience with this configuration the other week, and I had a very good experience overall.

Had 9L (rear-facing window) which did feel a bit tight as compared to other J-class seats in different configurations, but was very private. For my section, the FA who I first had contact with looked stressed and unhappy, and she confirmed that it was only her second flight with the new configuration. My in-seat IFE screen didn't work, and I was given a Samsung tablet which had a smaller screen but a higher-quality picture from what I could tell from stealing glances at other pax's screens when I was up and about.

Rear-facing seats seem to have more shoulder room since the seat opens to access the windows at your shoulders - in the forward-facing seats the seat wraps around your upper body, so I think on that point alone I like rear-facing (always have enjoyed it on BA, as long as I'm not in the middle of the middle).

The tray tables are huge, and require a bit of effort to pull out - I saw the FAs helping quite a few people. Seat controls are intuitive for most people, but when we arrived in DFW and I asked the man across the aisle from me how he liked it, he mentioned that the controls were a little awkward, being so far back, and it was unfortunate that there were only two positions. Apparently not familiar with the touch-screen world, I leaned over and tapped the dark iPhone-like panel and illuminated the actual controls. :/

While I usually stick to my side of the plane for lav visits, at one point I crossed over to the A side and used the lav there. That was a surprise! Sliding door instead of folding or standard open-out, it was a lav obviously configured for handicapped passengers - it was huge. That'll be my go-to in the future. The lavs also had some superficial touches to identify them as Premium - different wallpaper and floor treatment, but apart from the one handicapped lav, I didn't find a difference in size in the rest.

In-flight bar was well-stocked with salads, small sandwiches, desserts, and bottles of water.

FAs said that they used the galley in the center of the cabin almost exclusively, so the forward rows would then seem to be the quietest if this holds true for all flights. She even said that they could just remove the forward galley and put seats in...

The USB ports didn't seem to power my phones at all, but they are supposed to link to the seat's IFE so you can watch content on the big screen (I hear...); for actually powering my devices I needed to use the standard electrical outlets. Maybe the USBs would have powered my stuff if my seat's IFE was working? Unfortunately, with the IFE out, so were the seat light and FA call buttons, but I did get the map on the controller screen. There is a reading light that worked, so I wasn't "in the dark" completely. And great little indirect "night lights" that created a nice atmosphere.

Overall I really, really liked it. Not the best, but a far cry from NGBC, which is all we had for a long time on this route. I'll definitely go out of my way to be on this plane in the future rather than the 763.

Last edited by zpaul; Dec 12, 2014 at 8:35 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Just had my SCL-DFW downgraded to old 772 recently too for March trip, grrr. Was really looking forward to trying out the retrofit. Only saving grace is that I was able to upgrade us to F at least now.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:27 pm

I just got off the phone with Central Reservations. Evidently there will be no upgrade of 772s that operate to Asia and they will all be kept as 3-class.

This makes me wonder whether or not the 772s to Asia will eventually be upgraded to the same (or similar) hard product in J & F as the AA 773s.

Anyone care to comment?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AADFW
I just got off the phone with Central Reservations. Evidently there will be no upgrade of 772s that operate to Asia and they will all be kept as 3-class.

This makes me wonder whether or not the 772s to Asia will eventually be upgraded to the same (or similar) hard product in J & F as the AA 773s.

Anyone care to comment?
Off-hand doesn't see credible/plausible in the least. Certainly will place an inquiry though.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Off-hand doesn't see credible/plausible in the least. Certainly will place an inquiry though.
I tend to agree. Just posted what the rep told me...
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
AA new J looks great! ^ Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the TR! If I unfortunately have to take AA vice any other OneWorld partner in biz, I'll make sure I grab the retrofit!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Anyone flown the bulkhead seats? Any differences from the non-bulkheads -- more/less room in the footwells, etc? I'm currently in 1L.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by XLR26
Anyone flown the bulkhead seats? Any differences from the non-bulkheads -- more/less room in the footwells, etc? I'm currently in 1L.
For you and anyone who's got questions about the plane/seats, there's a special post about the new 777-200 on the AA forum.
Here's the link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:21 pm
int

please delete

Last edited by int; Jul 25, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Update:

This review covers the AA 777-200ER with the Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite".

There are two current issues with this seat:

1) Seats attached at the head (head to head) are wobbly and subject to motion induced by the occupant of the other seat, known as the "motion over the ocean" issue; it is not present in seats t fastened to others at the seat head.

2) The privacy dividers between center seats don't work properly and currently can not be adjusted by passengers or flight attendants. The dividers are fixed up or down - or both - in random order by ground personnel.

American Airlines has committed to fixing both issues.

The B/E Aerospace Super Diamond seats are generally held in higher esteem by AA flyers over the Zodiacs, and they do not suffer any known issues.

Of 47 AA 772s, the fleet is only missing one aircraft - to be completed in August, 2017, so no more First Class or angled flat J seats by then.

However, Premium Economy has just been rolled out in the first 772 to have it, and this product will e tend to all 47 772 aircraft in 2018.

State of the 772 fleet:

As of August 2017, the fleet of 47 will have all been converted to one of the following (AA coded "772") configurations for the moment - until Premium Economy is installed (which could affect numbers of MCE and/ or Economy seats).

13 Boeing 777-200ER with 45 Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats with full flat beds with all aisle access, forward and aft facing, 55 Main Cabin Extra and 160 Economy seats. Link to SeatGuru seat chart "version 2" with 45 seats.

6 Boeing 777-200ER with with 37 Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats with full flat beds with all aisle access, forward and aft facing, 58 Main Cabin Extra and 194 Economy seats. Link to SeatGuru "version 3" seat chart.

28 Boeing 777-200ER fleet are comprised of aircraft with 37 B/E Aerospace "Super Diamond Solo" all angled to the fuselage center line forward facing Business class, 58 MCE and 194 Economy seats. (No seat chart on SeatGuru yet.)

Threads on these aircraft and seats:

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 11, 2017 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.