Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Excellent blog. Thanks for all the pics / videos! ^
Thanks. Such opinions are highly appreciated
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
North Korea Aviation Tour

I really enjoyed this. I'm utterly curious and fascinated with NK while also disturbed with other things I've read.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
North Korea Aviation Tour

I forgot to mention but I was definitely disturbed about the image of the bus driver eating acorns. I'm glad to have seen it because the NK famine and starvation situation is well known. But it's still disturbing to see what appears to be an instant and easy solution to combat hunger - to eat acorns. It's a sharp contrast with the meal pictures and again very good to see. But it is just disturbing and it makes me further appreciate my own personal situation.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I forgot to mention but I was definitely disturbed about the image of the bus driver eating acorns. I'm glad to have seen it because the NK famine and starvation situation is well known. But it's still disturbing to see what appears to be an instant and easy solution to combat hunger - to eat acorns. It's a sharp contrast with the meal pictures and again very good to see. But it is just disturbing and it makes me further appreciate my own personal situation.
I've never had acorns, so no idea what they taste like, but maybe it's just a snack? Across the border in South-Korea they eat chestnuts as a snack, so maybe an acorn isn't that weird...
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Skymiles/Aeroplan
I can guarantee you that the driver is well fed. I visited NK and I can assure you that at all meal stops the KITC driver would eat the same food as the visitors. I eat very well, but sometimes if I pass by a wild blueberry or blackberry plant with ripe berries, I eat as many as I can, as a treat, not necessity. I'm aware that some people may be deprived of some basics in NK, but not KITC employees. They have the privilege to share good tips in Euros at the end of every tour, allowing them to buy at luxury tourist shops if desired, where local won are not accepted. The government wouldn't put the lives of precious tourists in the hands of a hungry driver. Everything is done to show the better aspects of the country, in the hope that visitors will go back to their respective countries and spread a good word about North Korea.

Last edited by danaraujo; Nov 2, 2014 at 6:31 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:19 pm

Looks like they're cancelling all tours at the moment(?).
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...n-threat-ebola
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by DanielW
Looks like they're cancelling all tours at the moment(?).
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...n-threat-ebola
They did the same during SARS so no need to worry (except for those who planned a tour right now). Sit and relax, things change when they change
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
The KITC drivers/guides are some of the most privilidged people in the country.
Trust me, they are not starving. Like already mentioned, they eat at the same places the tourists do. In addition to that, each group leaves behind 'gifts' which have black market value (and money)

KITC are very trusted people, and under constant surveillance, constantly reporting to their superiors.

You need to understand that everything is done to show visitors the best face of the country, even if it is as absurd as taking you down a street with renovated fronts of buildings while the backs are in ruin, staging families "having picnincs in the park", and arranging for hundreds of people to visit the bronze monument at the same time as tourists groups (while noone visits on other days as you drive by)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.