Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Sky Team Madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business

Sky Team Madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business

Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Amsterdam to Bangkok on China Airlines A340-300 in business (AMS-BKK CI C)

I had checked in for the flight on my way past a kiosk on arrival, and got boarding passes for the next 3 flights.

I had a nice shower in the Crown lounge followed by a couple of drinks while I waited for boarding time. My gate was a few piers over from the lounge - just about as far as possible in the non-schengen zone. There was a small queue at gate security because boarding had already commenced. By the time I got onboard I could see the business class cabin was completely full.

Those who've flown the A340 in business class before may guess the issue that brought. There is no overhead bins in the middle and so the overhead bins on the sides of the aircraft soon get full. As last to board the crew had to put my carry on in a locker - but most of these were also already full. I hoped they found a space somewhere because if they gate checked the bag it would cause a significant inconvenience at my next airport, assuming it even made it that far.

After lunch and a few drinks I managed to get about 5 to 6 hours sleep - not as much as I'd like but enough for now.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
Amsterdam to Bangkok
September 2014

Refreshment

Appetizer

Prawn, crabmeat salad, sweet chili sauce

Salad

Semi-dried tomato with mixed salad, organic lemon dressing

Main course

Taiwanese style pork chop with rice braised Chinese cabbage with dried shrimp, braised soya egg

or

Grilled beef tenderloin
mixed julienned vegetables, potato with cream sauce, madiera sauce

or

Chicken blanquette
carrot, sugar snap pea, basmati rice

Assorted bread served with homemade butter

Fresh fruits of the season

Dessert

Cherry mousse, strawberry mousse, raspberry mousse and raspberry sauce

Western Breakfast

Yoghurt

Cereals are also available upon your choice

Main course

Gruyere cheese egg roll
sauteed spinach, tomato, roasted potato

Assorted bread served with homemade butter and jam

Croissant, Danish

Chinese Breakfast

Assorted delicatessen

Scallion egg roll
Preserved mustard head with minced pork

Plain congee

103Q3-CI066C-3

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver
Martini

Spirit

Kavalan Single Malt Whisky
Aberfeldy 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky
Dewar's Family Reserve 12-Year-Old Blended Scotch
Smirnoff Vodka
Bacardi Light Rum
Bombay Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige
Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Portugal
Cherry Brandy
Bailey's Irish Cream

Chinese Rice Wine

Premium Shaohsing 10 Years (For Japan Routes Only)

Sake

Kizakura Ginjo (For Japan Routes Only)

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer
Heineken Beer
Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea
Jasmine Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Cappuccino

Champagne

Champagne Gremillet, France
Champagne Gremillet is a blend of 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay, due to which the pale golden brilliant color of the champagne, it reveals attractive fruity noses of peaches, apricots, pears and white flowers. Quite fresh in the mouth, it brings grapefruit and citrus taste on the palate, making it a great match with grilled food or as an aperitif.

White Wine
Domaine Moutard Diligent, 2010 Chablis 1er Cru
Chablis Chardonnay, France
This selection uses fifteen years Chardonnay vineyard grapes are brewing within the French Chablis white wine, is to adopt traditional planting, hand harvesting, transporting and crushing machinery, the use of alcohol and lactic acid in the apple barrel in stainless steel fermentation, after fermentation residue containing at least about 4 to 6 months of time before they can be bottled. The most basic way to filter in order to preserve the natural characteristics of the wine, and taken to the low-pressure way to ensure the quality of bottling. Delicious typical Chablis with a delicate white flowers, acacia and honey aroma, full of elegance and meticulous excellent taste experience.

A Schmitt Riesling
Mosel Valley Riesling White Wine, Germany
Riesling is the most important and widely planted white grape variety originated in the Rhine region of Germany. The generally cooler climate of the Mosel Valley allows the production of this light-bodied Riesling with animating acidity and a fine mineral slate note. The aroma combines peaches, green apples and gooseberries. The taste is fresh and sweet, revealing the typical acidity and good balance of Riesling. Recommended with Oriental cuisine.

Wairau River, 2012 Sauvignon Blanc
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc White Wine, New Zealand
New Zealand's Marlborough region is unique in its ability to create Sauvignon Blanc wine with juicy, upfront tropical fruit flavors unlike anywhere else in the world. The grapes used in our selection were hand picked with some fermented in stainless steel for freshness and others fermented in oak to add character, complexity and body. Exuberant aromas of pink grapefruit, passion fruit and citrus. Penetrating pomegranate character with refreshing fruit flavors adding to an overall elegance and refined structure. Recommended with Chinese, Western cuisine, chicken, or seafood dishes.

Red Wine

Chateau La Gorce, 2006 Medoc
Chateau La Gorce, France
The wine was produced in Medoc, an area runs along the western bank of the Gironde estuary and is 7km away from Saint Estephe. This typical ruby-red Medoc wine is dark, deep, and oaky with rich red berries and spices. The aromas of cherries, plums, and minerals vividly reveal after slight shaking of the glass. The taste is soft, well-balanced with sturdy tannins and ripe fruit, and full-bodied with good length and persistence accompanied by woody and mineral aroma. Overall, this wine comes with elegant aroma, sweetly fragranced ripe fruit, and delicate attack on the palate as smooth as silk. Recommended with red meat and cheese.

Chianti Classico, 2011 COLI
Chianti Classico DOCG, Italy
This "Chianti Classico" is a full bodied wine, dry, recalling the sensations of the flavour, with good structure; sapid, cheerful, supple, a young and well balanced wine. With bottle aging this wine will become softer and more velvety. It is a great partner for rich red meat dishes, pasta and strongly flavored cheeses.

Galvin Family Cellars, 2009 Merlot Reserve
Napa Valley, Merlot Reserve, USA
The wine is from American Viticultural Area, Napa Valley which is made from elegant and approachable Merlot grapes. The color is a healthy dark ruby with aromas of red cherries, blackcurrants, plums, and seductive toasted oak. It is juicy, full-bodied, opulent, and layered with fruit and spice flavors. Long, supple tannins and elegance make it impossible to resist. Recommend to enjoy the wine with heavier flavor cuisine.

Konig Johann, 2013 Riesling, Amarus
Mosel Valley Riesling White Whine, Germany
The Riesling grape is native to the Rhine basin of Germany. The best Riesling comes from the sunny vineyards of the Mosel, a tributary of the Rhine. The wine is characterized by aromas of white flowers, apple, pear, apricot and plum. The Riesling grape of the Mosel Valley is picked in late autumn, deliberately overripe, in order to increase the sugar content. It retains a lower alcohol content to keep a slightly higher reisidual sugar, and to create a unique honey-like fragrance. The slightly higher acidity of the Riesling grape balances the sweetness, making this wine sweet but not cloying, with some complexity and elegance. The wine goes well with seafood and chicken dishes. Due to its sweetness, it can go well with Thai food, Indian curries, Sichuan cuisine and other Asian cuisines.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Bangkok to Taipei on China Airlines A330-300 in business (BKK-TPE CI C)

This time the China Airlines lounge was open for my transit. The lounge staff asked if I wanted to switch to the continuation but I declined, being the same flight number it would reduce my mileage earning and with a further flight tonight the earlier flight to Taipei would only serve to lengthen that transit. I whiled my time trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to get the lounge computer to load a simple website. In the end I gave up and wandered around the terminal for a while.

The flight back to Taipei was much like the flight down - full and with a nice meal, but I napped most of it.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
Bangkok to Taipei
September 2014

Lunch menu

Starter

Smoked halibut and marinated salmon
grilled zucchini, eggplant, mixed salad, French dressing

Main course

Wok fried sliced beef fillet with ginger and shimeji mushroom
sauted kalian, carrot, egg noodles with fried garlic and shallot

or

Vacuum cooked chicken breast with thyme, port wine
grilled vegetables, pesto mash

or

Thai red curry prawn
local vegetables, steamed brown rice

Assorted bread served with butter

Polenta roll, sesame roll, garlic bread

Dessert platter

103C-833/834C-2

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver, Martini

Spirit

Kavalan Single Malt Whisky, Aberfeldy 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky, Dewar's Family Reserve 12-Year-Old Blended Scotch, Smirnoff Vodka, Bacardi Light Rum, Bombay Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige, Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Cherry Brandy, Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer, Heineken Beer, Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea, Jasmine Tea, Japanese Green Tea, Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Cappuccino

Champagne and Wines

French Champagne, Champagne A Robert
Champagne A Robert is a blend of 20% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, and 60% Pinot Meunier grapes. It is pale gold in color with a delicate flavor, sparkling overtones, and citrus and floral hints. In the mouth, it is well balanced, attractive, and fruity. Whether as an aperitif or served at table with grilled fish or cheese, it creates a joyous whole which finishes fresh.

Konig Johann, 2013 Riesling, Amarus
Riesling is the most important and widely planted white grape variety originated in the Rhine region of Germany. The generally cooler climate of the Mosel Valley allows the production of this light-bodied Riesling with animating acidity and a fine mineral slate note. The aroma combines peaches, green apples and gooseberries. The taste is fresh and sweet, revealing the typical acidity and good balance of Riesling. Recommended with Oriental cuisine.

Wairau River, 2012 Sauvignon Blanc
New Zealand's Marlborough region is unique in its ability to create Sauvignon Blanc wine with juicy, upfront tropical fruit flavors unlike anywhere else in the world. The grapes used in our selection were hand picked with some fermented in stainless steel for freshness and others fermented in oak to add character, complexity and body. Exuberant aromas of pink grapefruit, passion fruit and citrus. Penetrating pomegranate character with refreshing fruit flavors adding to an overall elegance and refined structure. Recommended with Chinese, Western cuisine, chicken, or seafood dishes.

Chianti Riserva, 2011 COLI
Chianti Riserva DOCG, Italy
This "Chianti Riserva" is a full bodied wine, dry, recalling the sensations of the flavour, with good structure; sapid, cheerful, supple, a young and well balanced wine. With bottle aging this wine will become softer and more velvety. It is a great partner for rich red meat dishes, pasta and strongly flavored cheeses.

The wine is from American Viticultural Area, Napa Valley which is made from elegant and approachable Merlot grapes. The color is a healthy dark ruby with aromas of red cherries, blackcurrants, plums, and seductive toasted oak. It is juicy, full-bodied, opulent, and layered with fruit and spice flavors. Long, supple tannins and elegance make it impossible to resist. Recommend to enjoy the wine with heavier flavor cuisine.

Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to Sydney on China Airlines A330-300 in business (TPE-SYD CI C)
Sydney to Auckland on China Airlines A330-300 in business (SYD-AKL CI C)

These flights were much the same as on the previous trip, and had the same IFE and menus. So I'll be brief.

Boarding was late, commencing after our scheduled departure time in both cases. I was recognised before I stepped foot on the aircraft - I guess I've flown China Airlines a bit lately. We were over half an hour late leaving. I had a domestic flight on a separate ticket to make, with no real options for a misconnect (i.e. I'd have to stay in Auckland overnight and pay a high walk-up fare to fly in the morning), so I was slightly anxious that the delays didn't compound.

The first leg was totally full as usual. We made up some time while I slept. The lounge bouncer remembered me from the flight to Taipei, but I couldn't work out if he was referring to this trip or the previous one. Despite a fairly empty aircraft for the second leg we managed to lose half an hour in the transit.

I didn't manage to sleep on the second leg - which was probably a good thing to adjust my body to the NZ time zone. Instead my glass was refilled with the nice Riesling at very frequent intervals.

I did make my onward flight, but did not have long in the lounge before boarding.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Hi Kiwi Flyer - I'm just wondering if you are still booked on the CI 777-300ER inaugural? Their website mentions it starts regional service tomorrow (10/10) and will only begin flying long haul between LAX-TPE in December.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hlee628
Hi Kiwi Flyer - I'm just wondering if you are still booked on the CI 777-300ER inaugural? Their website mentions it starts regional service tomorrow (10/10) and will only begin flying long haul between LAX-TPE in December.
I was never booked on the inaugural CI 77W flight. Just as well because the 9 October flights reverted to other aircraft types.

Looks like two of my CI flights tomorrow still have 77W ^ and there is no reason why I won't make it to that part of the world in time (I'm currently en route).
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

While I'm not on the inaugural flight I couldn't resist checking that the CI 77W is parked up ready for its inaugural passenger flight. At the gate there are signs out for the "new 777-300ER".

More to come later.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Sydney on China Airlines A330-300 in business (AKL-SYD CI C)

After some more domestic flights a week later I was back in Auckland heading out on the third trip of this report.

I'm not sure if it was because of the schedule change after commencement of daylight saving, or for some other reason, but the on the ground experience was better this trip. No queues at check in. Unfortunately I only managed to get a single boarding pass. No airport staff weighing carry-on bags at the entrance to immigration. No immigration queues or security queues. Even the lounge was, for the first time I can recall in years, not very full and a quiet haven.

I headed out to the gate a short time after the boarding call, but boarding had not yet actually started. This is a peeve of mine at Auckland - they call flights far too early. The departure monitors are even worse as the "boarding", "final call" and "flight closed" messages are automated based on scheduled departure times. It doesn't take as long to board a A320 or very lightly loaded A330 than it does to board a full A380 or to do the extra screening required at the gate for US-bound flights, so the actual boarding times vary.

There was some new IFE content to view on this trip, and also new menus. The flight was uneventful and I enjoyed zoning out watching a movie, thinking about nothing in particular and putting my feet up.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 9, 2014 at 8:52 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
Auckland to Sydney
October 2014

Refreshment

Salad

Seasonal salad
black olive, tomato, sherry vinaigrette

Main course

Wok fried prawn
mixed vegetables, steamed rice, in tomato sauce

or

Grilled beef tenderloin
spinach, sauteed mushroom, carrot, gratin potato, in barbecue sauce

or

Seared New Zealand orange roughly [sic]
seasonal vegetables, pesto mashed potato, in white wine sauce

Multigrain roll, French bagette [sic]

103Q4-CI052C-4

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirit

Smirnoff Vodka
Bacardi Light Rum
Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige
Cherry Brandy
Bailey's Irish Cream

Chinese Rice Wine

Sake

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer
Heineken Beer
Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea
Jasmine Tea
Japanese Green Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Cappuccino

Champagne

Champagne A Robert, French
Champagne A Robert is a blend of 20% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, and 60% Pinot Meunier grapes. It is pale gold in color with a delicate flavor, sparkling overtones, and citrus and floral hints. In the mouth, it is well balanced, attractive, and fruity. Whether as an aperitif or served at table with grilled fish or cheese, it creates a joyous whole which finishes fresh.

White Wine

Domaine Moutard Diligent, 2012 Chablis 1er Cru
This selection uses fifteen years Chardonnay vineyard grapes are brewing within the French Chablis white wine, is to adopt traditional planting, hand harvesting, transporting and crushing machinery, the use of alcohol and lactic acid in the apple barrel in stainless steel fermentation, after fermentation residue containing at least about 4 to 6 months of time before they can be bottled. The most basic way to filter in order to preserve the natural characteristics of the wine, and taken to the low-pressure way to ensure the quality of bottling. Delicious typical Chablis with a delicate white flowers, acacia and honey aroma, full of elegance and meticulous excellent taste experience.

Konig Johann, 2013 Riesling, Amarus, Mosel Spatlese
The Riesling grape is native to the Rhine basin of Germany. The best Riesling comes from the sunny vineyards of the Mosel, a tributary of the Rhine. The wine is characterized by aromas of white flowers, apple, pear, apricot and plum. The Riesling grape of the Mosel Valley is picked in late autumn, deliberately overripe, in order to increase the sugar content. It retains a lower alcohol content to keep a slightly higher residual sugar, and to create a unique honey-like fragrance. The slightly higher acidity of the Riesling grape balances the sweetness, making this wine sweet but not cloying, with some complexity and elegance. The wine goes well with seafood and chicken dishes. Due to its sweetness, it can go well with Thai food, Indian curries, Sichuan cuisine and other Asian cuisines.

O:Tu, Marlborough 2013 Sauvignon Blanc
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand has been recognised worldwide as the wine that best presents the highlights of this unique grape variety : simple, fresh, fruity, balanced, just like the pure earth of New Zealand. The wine in the first nose has attractive aromas of guava and pineapple. And in the second nose comes flavors of orange, lemon, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Slightly higher acidity brings a fresh hedonistic excitement. After the acidity fades in the mouth, an elegant minerality emerges leaving an impressive aftertaste. This white wine is a perfect aperitif and also goes well with a variety of dishes including seafood and poultry.

Red Wine

Chateau La Gorce, France
The wine was produced in Medoc, an area runs along the western bank of the Gironde estuary and is 7km away from Saint Estephe. This typical ruby-red Medoc wine is dark, deep, and oaky with rich red berries and spices. The aromas of cherries, plums, and minerals vividly reveal after slight shaking of the glass. The taste is soft, well-balanced with sturdy tannins and ripe fruit, and full-bodied with good length and persistence accompanied by woody and mineral aroma. Overall, this wine comes with elegant aroma, sweetly fragranced ripe fruit, and delicate attack on the palate as smooth as silk. Recommended with red meat and cheese.

This "Chianti Classico" is a full bodied wine, dry, recalling the sensations of the flavour, with good structure; sapid, cheerful, supple, a young and well balanced wine. With bottle aging this wine will become softer and more velvety. It is a great partner for rich red meat dishes, pasta and strongly flavored cheeses.

Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Taipei on China Airlines A330-300 in business (SYD-TPE CI C)

My name wasn't on the list of lounge eligible passengers provided by China Airlines, but by now I'd been here enough that I was directed inside while they sort out with the airline. That is good - in many contract lounges a strict approach is taken if you are not on the list.

This time the lounge boarding call is early and so by the time I reach the gate I was the last to board. I did, however, avoid the ignomy of a personal page.

The business class cabin was just over half full - about the lightest load I've experienced to date on China Airlines between Australia and Taipei.

At the start of the flight there was a delay in IFE being available. First a couple of China Airlines public service announcements, then the wrong option was selected so another video was shown, then repeated attempts to get IFE started. Finally a system reboot did the trick and the IFE was on about 45 minutes after take off.

For some reason I didn't manage to get much sleep, just about 3 hours. I was woken when breakfast was being served and felt terrible. A couple of coffees later I felt much better.

We landed very early just after 4am.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
Sydney to Taipei
October 2014

Late Night Supper

Starter

Garden salad
balsamic vinaigrette

Main course

Boiled barramundi fish with vinegar sauce
eggplant with sesame oil, bok choy, mushroom with steamed rice

or

Lamb rump
pumpkin, vine tomato, chive mash potato, balsamic sauce

or

Braised chicken thigh wrapped with bacon
mushroom ragout, green beans, bell pepper, spaghetti, chardonnay cream sauce

White torpedo roll, linseed and soy roll, sourdough

Dessert platter

Western Breakfast

Yoghurt

Cereals are also available upon your choice

Cheese and bacon omelette, asparagus spears, beef sausage, tomato diced, sauteed potato with parsley

Assorted bread served with home made butter and jam

Croissant, toast

Chinese Breakfast

Plain congee

Assorted delicatessen

Stir fried pork and tofu
Diced potato and green peas

The bakery

103Q4-CI052C-5

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirit

Smirnoff Vodka
Bacardi Light Rum
Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige
Cherry Brandy
Bailey's Irish Cream

Chinese Rice Wine

Sake

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer
Heineken Beer
Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea
Jasmine Tea
Japanese Green Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Cappuccino

Champagne

Champagne A Robert, French

White Wine

Domaine Moutard Diligent, 2012 Chablis 1er Cru

Konig Johann, 2013 Riesling, Amarus, Mosel Spatlese
The Riesling grape is native to the Rhine basin of Germany. The best Riesling comes from the sunny vineyards of the Mosel, a tributary of the Rhine. The wine is characterized by aromas of white flowers, apple, pear, apricot and plum. The Riesling grape of the Mosel Valley is picked in late autumn, deliberately overripe, in order to increase the sugar content. It retains a lower alcohol content to keep a slightly higher residual sugar, and to create a unique honey-like fragrance. The slightly higher acidity of the Riesling grape balances the sweetness, making this wine sweet but not cloying, with some complexity and elegance. The wine goes well with seafood and chicken dishes. Due to its sweetness, it can go well with Thai food, Indian curries, Sichuan cuisine and other Asian cuisines.

O:Tu, Marlborough 2013 Sauvignon Blanc
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand has been recognised worldwide as the wine that best presents the highlights of this unique grape variety : simple, fresh, fruity, balanced, just like the pure earth of New Zealand. The wine in the first nose has attractive aromas of guava and pineapple. And in the second nose comes flavors of orange, lemon, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Slightly higher acidity brings a fresh hedonistic excitement. After the acidity fades in the mouth, an elegant minerality emerges leaving an impressive aftertaste. This white wine is a perfect aperitif and also goes well with a variety of dishes including seafood and poultry.

Red Wine

Chateau La Gorce, France

Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'll post about the new China Airlines 77W shortly. First I need to grab a shower.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to Hong Kong on China Airlines B777-300ER in business (TPE-HKG CI C)

I had a long layover scheduled and was toying with options to fill the time when I noticed a few weeks ago that China Airlines' new 77W with brand new business class product was going to some regional flights for crew training and the inaugural was scheduled for the day before my transit. I had enough time to fit a quick return trip and decided to book a side trip to try out the new product.

A few days ago I noticed that the inaugural flight had been pushed back a day. I hoped it wouldn't slip further.

There were three round trip options with the 77W, all TPE-HKG-TPE. The first was early in the morning. I did not want to select this in case my overnight flight was significantly delayed, and in any case by the time I decided to take this side trip there were no business class seats available for the TPE-HKG. The second would give me a good buffer on either side for delays without risking a misconnect across separate tickets. The third was tighter for connecting to my onward flight tonight, but doable and slightly cheaper. I opted for the safe middle option. It was just as well I did - the later flight is running so late I would have had to cancel to avoid a misconnection.

So it transpires I would miss the inaugural flight but be flying on the first day of commercial service.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'd toyed with using on line check in. This wasn't meant to be however. The only time the flight was open for on line check in that I had computer and printer access was when I was in transit in the lounge in Sydney. However I noticed that only TPE-HKG showed and I ideally wanted to check in for the return flight as well so as to avoid potential issues at Hong Kong (eg missing check in cut-off). So I pulled out of the on line check in and trusted the Taipei transfer desk could check me in for both flights. As noted above, the transfer desk wasn't open when I arrived, and would be shut for over an hour. I didn't want to hang around the transfer desk, which is on the arrivals level with no amenities (eg seating). I would try to check in at the lounge when it opened, otherwise I could go out the wrong way through transfer security to visit the transfer desk when it opened. The lounge agents were able to check me in for both flights, saving that hassle.

The gate was quite a distance from the lounge. I arrived at what should have been the middle of boarding to see the aircraft just pulling in to the gate. Okay there is going to be a delay. How long will it be?

The inbound flight was fairly lightly loaded with only about 150 passengers so I thought the turnaround may not take too long. Of course I was forgetting this was a new aircraft to all the crew. A delay of unspecified duration was announced. After a while a new boarding time was stated. That time came and went and an updated boarding time was called. Rinse and repeat. Finally an hour late we boarded.

The new business class seat is in reverse herringbone layout 1-2-1. While it has been a while since I've last flown in this layout I don't recall it being as narrow. The seat is dark gray which makes it hard to find the latches for the various cubbyholes. You can just make out an outline of the button to press. While there are several cubbyholes they are fairly small and there is also no space around the seat for a bag of any size. The seat is lie flat with the lower part of the body in a "V" hole in the seat in front. Too bad if you are claustrophobic.

The IFE has almost identical content to that on the other aircraft types but the controller is not very intuitive to use both in terms of selecting movies, programmes, etc; and also in adjusting volume. The flight path is located in the applications menu and labelled "3D Voyager" - not the most obvious to find.

Being the first day of operation we were given some goodies - a set of ear buds and some China Airlines 77W playing cards. I wasn't expecting that as I wasn't on the inaugural flight.

Once boarding was completed we had a further delay before pushback. The IFE was turned on at the gate and the delay was sufficiently long that, despite the short flight time of around 90 minutes I managed to view a complete 2+ hour duration movie.

The flight was totally full. Indeed it had even been blocked from showing on most booking sites and availability tools.

We finally left Taipei 90 minutes late, or about the scheduled arrival time, and only made up a few minutes en route.

Edited to add - I forgot to say that there was a strong new aircraft smell, just like being in a brand new car.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 10, 2014 at 7:54 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.