EVA Air
Business Class menu
Taipei to Macau
October 2014

Wine & Beverage

Champagne

Champagne Castelnau
Blanc de Blancs 2002
Finally on the brink of maturity, this cuvee shows the magnificent potential and class of a great 2002 Champagne. Aged nine years on lees, Champagne Castelnau blanc de blancs Millesime 2002 is 100 percent Chardonnay sourced mainly from the Champagne region of Montagne de Reims, Mont de Berru, Montgueux, and Cote des Blancs. The color is beautiful straw with gold overtones punctuated by fine beads of elegant bubbles. On the nose, light and almost smoky tones are reminiscent of the Orient, offering gently herbaceous notes of eucalyptus, thyme, sage and wild mint. On the palate, this Champagne is soft yet slightly acidic with fruit flavors such as mirabelle plum and yellow peach. This superb blanc de blancs can be served as an aperitif, but also pairs well with oysters, scallops and lobster. It is best served at 8C-10C.

French Red Wine

Chateau Villa Bel-Air 2010
2010 Chateau Villa Bel-Air comes from a vineyard where the soil is composed of Garonne gravel and clay. The wine is a blend of 50 percent Merlot, 40 percent Cabernet Sauvignon and 10 percent Cabernet Franc, giving it a deep red, almost opaque, color and deep-purple highlights. On the nose are powerful blackcurrants and a violet bouquet. It's full-bodied on the palate - opulent, with hints of oak and vanilla, and a long aftertaste with the stringency one expects of a young wine with ripe tannins. Best served at 17C-19C, this wine may need some time in the glass to show its true potential.

South Africa Red Wine

La Cave Pinotage 2013
La Cave Pinotage comes from the Wellington wine-producing area of South Africa. It is made from 100 percent Pinotage grapes, a well-known signature varietal of the region. Pinotage was bred in South Africa around the 1920s and is a cross-breed between Pinot Noir and Cinsaut. On the nose, this wine offers bright strawberry laced with a hint of banana (classic characteristics of this grape), followed by complex, ripe fruit flavors and a coffee undertone. The flavors extend to the palate where smooth tannins ensure a rich mouth-feel. Best served at 14C-16C, the wine can pair with various meat dishes and is also enjoyable on its own.

Chile White Wine

Casas del Toqui Chardonnay
Barrel Series 2013
2013 Casas del Toqui Chardonnay Barrel Series comes from Chile's Cachapoal Valley. This wine offers complex a nose with fresh and fruite aromas dominated by pineapple and citrus. There's a big contribution of French oak, and hints of caramel and vanilla. On the palate, it has good volume, pleasant acidity and long finish. It is best served at 10C-12C and pairs wll with salmon and white meat dishes.

German White Wine

Monchhof Riesling 2012
The Monchhof estate was founded in the 11th century and parts of today's cellar still date back to that time. The ancestors of current owner Robert Eymael bought the estate at an auction in Paris in 1804 and quickly began to export their fine wines. 2012 Monchhof Riesling is made from 100 percent Riesling grapes grown in two vineyards. The volcanic soil of Uerziger Wuerzgarten vineard gives the wine its tropical fruit and herbal flavors, while grapse from the Erdener Treppchen vineyard, which sits on red slate, impart peach and apricot flavors. The iron in the red slate also imparts a lot of minerality to this wine. The 2012 Monchhof Riesling is fresh and racy with white peach, apricot, passion fruit and pear aromas. It is vibrant and highly mineral with hints of spices and herbs followed by a mouthwatering finish.

Fortified Wine

Burdon Dry Fino Sherry
This is a very dry and light sherry, smooth with a hint of sea and attractive fruit. The taste comes across as very fresh with an accent of tangy yeast. This fortified wine is solera matured in the coastal town of El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, on the southern tip of Spain. It can be drunk as an aperitif, with tapas, or as an accompaniment to seafood, fish or white meat.

Fortified Wine

Taylor's LBV Port
Taylor's was established in 1692 right at the very birth of port wines. The company was the pioneer of the LBV (Late Bottled Vintage) classification, leading to the increased popularity of port in modern times. Those who enjoy a glass will be greeted with powerful aromas of cherry and black fruits. On the palate, this complex LBV tantalizes with intense fruits and resounding floral and herbal notes. Harmonious, well crafted and authoritative, Taylor's LBV is the perfect way to end any meal.

Cocktails

Bloody Mary
Evergreen Special
Screwdriver
Gin Martini
Gin Tonic
Vodka Martini
Highball
Red Eye
Mojito

Liqueurs

Kahlua
Baileys Original Irish Cream
Midori

Plum Liqueur

Choya Extra Years

Spirits

KAVALAN Single Malt Whisky
Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch Whisky
Camus XO Elegance
Bacardi Light Rum
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Smirnoff Black Label Vodka

Sake

DASSAI Premium Kosher Sake
(For Japan Routes)

Beers

Budweiser
Heineken Beer
Kirin Ichiban Beer

Coffee

Regular Coffee
Cappuccino
Espresso
Decaffeinated Coffee
Coffee Lattee

Soft Drinks

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Tomato Juice
Grape Juice
Mango Juice
Pineapple Juice
Lemonade
100% Nature Carrot Juice
PERRIER Sparkling Water
S. Pellegrino Nature Sparkling Mineral Water
Cola
Soda Drink
Cocoa
Matcha Milk Tea
Sokenbicha Blended Tea
Calpis Water
Milk
Mineral Water
ITO EN Green Tea

Tea

Jasmine Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Ti Kuan Yin Tea
Oolong Tea
Taiwan Pouchong Tea
Green Tea
Earl Grey Tea
Darjeeling Tea
English Breakfast Tea
Kamille Tea
Beerentraum Tea

JUN 14 RL/PL/BC(S)

Light Meal

Hors D'oeuvre

Sliced Meat Jelly with Kailan and Squid with XO Sauce

Main Course

Braised Pork Spare Ribs with Perilla Plum Sauce
Mixed Vegetables, Egg Fried Rice with Scallion

or

Pan Seared Salmon Fillet with Dill Cream Sauce
Mixed Vegetables, Linguini
The spicy chili sauce is available on request for serving with meal

Fruit

Coffee, Tea

15-20140901-TPE-HKG/MFM-TPE-PL
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Apologies for the delay. I have a bit of time before my next flight so will post some more.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Macau to Taipei on EVA Air B777-300ER in business (MFM-TPE BR C)

I wasn't quite sure what to expect in the way of transfer facilities given the relatively small size of airport, but I think I had enough time to clear immigration twice if needed. I didn't need to clear immigration. From where the bus dropped us off at the terminal it was up one level and then down a corridor that had a mural on each wall depicting key moments in Macau aviation history. Through a metal detector and up another level to departures.

I already had a lounge invite card marked "EVA lounge" so wandered around the small terminal just in case they really did have their own lounge. No, there is only a Premium Plaza lounge in the terminal, and that has no signpost indicating which airlines use it. I assumed this was used by EVA and this was confirmed by the lounge bouncer. The lounge is fairly basic. Some food & drink, crowded with chairs, wifi. No computer terminals. No shower. No bathroom. In fact, it is nicer out in the terminal, so I left after spending just a few minutes inside.

I wandered a bit more and soon it was time to board, or rather wait in the bus for (almost) all passengers to board. The flight back had a load of at most 50 passengers (across all cabins) and so I had the second business class cabin almost to myself. This is smaller than the front cabin, but has a disadvantage of more passengers traipsing past on the way to their seats.

The crew welcomed me back and proceeded to continue their attempts to get me drunk, starting before take off.

During our ascent we flew almost directly over Hong Kong airport, the clouds parting just at the right time to see the busy airport below us.

All too soon the flight was over. We landed on time and I made my way through security and across to the other side of the terminal to visit the lounge before my next flight.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

EVA Air
Business Class menu
Macau to Taipei
October 2014

Wine & Beverage

Champagne

Champagne Castelnau
Blanc de Blancs 2002
Finally on the brink of maturity, this cuvee shows the magnificent potential and class of a great 2002 Champagne. Aged nine years on lees, Champagne Castelnau blanc de blancs Millesime 2002 is 100 percent Chardonnay sourced mainly from the Champagne region of Montagne de Reims, Mont de Berru, Montgueux, and Cote des Blancs. The color is beautiful straw with gold overtones punctuated by fine beads of elegant bubbles. On the nose, light and almost smoky tones are reminiscent of the Orient, offering gently herbaceous notes of eucalyptus, thyme, sage and wild mint. On the palate, this Champagne is soft yet slightly acidic with fruit flavors such as mirabelle plum and yellow peach. This superb blanc de blancs can be served as an aperitif, but also pairs well with oysters, scallops and lobster. It is best served at 8C-10C.

French Red Wine

Chateau Villa Bel-Air 2010
2010 Chateau Villa Bel-Air comes from a vineyard where the soil is composed of Garonne gravel and clay. The wine is a blend of 50 percent Merlot, 40 percent Cabernet Sauvignon and 10 percent Cabernet Franc, giving it a deep red, almost opaque, color and deep-purple highlights. On the nose are powerful blackcurrants and a violet bouquet. It's full-bodied on the palate - opulent, with hints of oak and vanilla, and a long aftertaste with the stringency one expects of a young wine with ripe tannins. Best served at 17C-19C, this wine may need some time in the glass to show its true potential.

South Africa Red Wine

La Cave Pinotage 2013
La Cave Pinotage comes from the Wellington wine-producing area of South Africa. It is made from 100 percent Pinotage grapes, a well-known signature varietal of the region. Pinotage was bred in South Africa around the 1920s and is a cross-breed between Pinot Noir and Cinsaut. On the nose, this wine offers bright strawberry laced with a hint of banana (classic characteristics of this grape), followed by complex, ripe fruit flavors and a coffee undertone. The flavors extend to the palate where smooth tannins ensure a rich mouth-feel. Best served at 14C-16C, the wine can pair with various meat dishes and is also enjoyable on its own.

Chile White Wine

Casas del Toqui Chardonnay
Barrel Series 2013
2013 Casas del Toqui Chardonnay Barrel Series comes from Chile's Cachapoal Valley. This wine offers complex a nose with fresh and fruite aromas dominated by pineapple and citrus. There's a big contribution of French oak, and hints of caramel and vanilla. On the palate, it has good volume, pleasant acidity and long finish. It is best served at 10C-12C and pairs wll with salmon and white meat dishes.

German White Wine

Monchhof Riesling 2012
The Monchhof estate was founded in the 11th century and parts of today's cellar still date back to that time. The ancestors of current owner Robert Eymael bought the estate at an auction in Paris in 1804 and quickly began to export their fine wines. 2012 Monchhof Riesling is made from 100 percent Riesling grapes grown in two vineyards. The volcanic soil of Uerziger Wuerzgarten vineard gives the wine its tropical fruit and herbal flavors, while grapse from the Erdener Treppchen vineyard, which sits on red slate, impart peach and apricot flavors. The iron in the red slate also imparts a lot of minerality to this wine. The 2012 Monchhof Riesling is fresh and racy with white peach, apricot, passion fruit and pear aromas. It is vibrant and highly mineral with hints of spices and herbs followed by a mouthwatering finish.

Fortified Wine

Burdon Dry Fino Sherry
This is a very dry and light sherry, smooth with a hint of sea and attractive fruit. The taste comes across as very fresh with an accent of tangy yeast. This fortified wine is solera matured in the coastal town of El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, on the southern tip of Spain. It can be drunk as an aperitif, with tapas, or as an accompaniment to seafood, fish or white meat.

Fortified Wine

Taylor's LBV Port
Taylor's was established in 1692 right at the very birth of port wines. The company was the pioneer of the LBV (Late Bottled Vintage) classification, leading to the increased popularity of port in modern times. Those who enjoy a glass will be greeted with powerful aromas of cherry and black fruits. On the palate, this complex LBV tantalizes with intense fruits and resounding floral and herbal notes. Harmonious, well crafted and authoritative, Taylor's LBV is the perfect way to end any meal.

Cocktails

Bloody Mary
Evergreen Special
Screwdriver
Gin Martini
Gin Tonic
Vodka Martini
Highball
Red Eye
Mojito

Liqueurs

Kahlua
Baileys Original Irish Cream
Midori

Plum Liqueur

Choya Extra Years

Spirits

KAVALAN Single Malt Whisky
Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch Whisky
Camus XO Elegance
Bacardi Light Rum
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Smirnoff Black Label Vodka

Sake

DASSAI Premium Kosher Sake
(For Japan Routes)

Beers

Budweiser
Heineken Beer
Kirin Ichiban Beer

Coffee

Regular Coffee
Cappuccino
Espresso
Decaffeinated Coffee
Coffee Lattee

Soft Drinks

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Tomato Juice
Grape Juice
Mango Juice
Pineapple Juice
Lemonade
100% Nature Carrot Juice
PERRIER Sparkling Water
S. Pellegrino Nature Sparkling Mineral Water
Cola
Soda Drink
Cocoa
Matcha Milk Tea
Sokenbicha Blended Tea
Calpis Water
Milk
Mineral Water
ITO EN Green Tea

Tea

Jasmine Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Ti Kuan Yin Tea
Oolong Tea
Taiwan Pouchong Tea
Green Tea
Earl Grey Tea
Darjeeling Tea
English Breakfast Tea
Kamille Tea
Beerentraum Tea

JUN 14 RL/PL/BC(S)

Light Meal

Main Course

Braised Chicken with Taro in Coconut Cream Sauce
Mixed Vegetables, Steamed Rice with Chopped Pak Choy

or

Pan Fried Pork Fillet Steak and Button Mushroom in Creamy Brown Sauce
Mixed Vegetables, Roasted Potato
The spicy chili sauce is available on request for serving with meal

Fruit

Sweet

Coffee, Tea

15-20140901-TPE-HKG/MFM-TPE-PL
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:05 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to San Francisco on China Airlines B747-400 in business (TPE-SFO CI C)

This is the flight that sees me complete a simple US east coast to west coast routing, albeit a bit longer over a few days and at around 10 times the nonstop distance and including 4 transpac flights.

map

This is even longer than the 7 crazy days when I flew from Newark to San Francisco via the inaugural world's longest flight.

Of course things have changed since then. I've gotten older, but probably not wiser. US immigration and security has gone downhill, and generally people in authority in US seem to be more paranoid. So I was both excited and a little apprehensive as to how this would go. The SSSS on my boarding pass didn't help my nerves even though I knew it was likely a result of my FFP number not sticking properly to my ticket.

The gate was near the lounge so I left at the appropriate time. Boarding started late and sure enough my boarding pass beeped and I was directed to get my carry-on searched. The set up was not very good. In the confusion of boarding I could probably have slipped by without getting my carry-on checked. Anyway the search was cursory - very definitely only being done because USA tells them to do it, not because of any perceived risk.

Business and first class had mostly boarded by the time I got to my seat. Yes the seat beside me had remained empty, and the load was actually fairly light with under half the premium seats occupied.

We pushed back about 20 minutes late. I wasn't concerned as I had a decent enough connection to my next flight even with a delay in arriving (as long as not a few hours of delay) to cope with immigration & customs delays as well.

With a flight time of just over 11 hours, my plan was to stay up for supper and then sleep for 6 hours. That should see me through to the light and noise for breakfast whilst not oversleeping so I will still be tired enough to sleep some more on the subsequent flight. I don't know why I bothered. The supper meal was inedible and they served me the wrong drink. Parts were badly overcooked while other parts were so undercooked they seemed to be almost raw. I don't know how they managed this in the same meal. Even the side dishes were poor - the salad was limp and tasted funny and the roll was like a rock. This was undoubtedly the worst airline meal I've faced this year. So I quickly gave up and sent my tray back after just a few bites. I did manage to doze off and get about 5 hours sleep before waking. I spent the rest of the flight reading and watching some movies I'd seen several (maybe dozens) of times before.

We landed on time but had a long taxi around the terminal complex to international terminal pier A. On disembarking I was surprised to find the line for US citizens was much longer than for visitors, although of course it was also much faster moving. There was just 2-3 officers for the visitor line so progress was slow. Nonetheless I reached the front in under an hour, which is pretty good for USA (although still poor by global standards). I was relieved to not get the officer who had just spent 15 minutes grilling a couple. Instead I got a couple of questions (more about why I was unable to stay for Halloween than anything else) and I was on my way through customs and up to collect some more boarding passes.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 1, 2014 at 7:20 am
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:21 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
Taipei to San Francisco
October 2014

Late Night Supper

Salad

Mixed green salad with kumquat osmanthus vinegar

Main course

Pork belly and bamboo shoot stew
stir-fried asparagus, gingko and steamed rice
(Energy 829.6 kcal)

or

Pan-roasted beef fillet
fresh bamboo quenelle and bordelaise sauce
(Energy 557.9 kcal)

or

Grilled chicken thigh with burdock spicy sauce
sauteed shrimp with garlic, mixed vegetables and steamed rice
(Energy 628 kcal)

Assorted bread served with homemade butter

Hoshino salty bread
Italian style spice bread, garlic bread

Haagen-Dazs ice cream

Gourmet savory is available at any time

Traditional Taiwan bolognaise meat sauce
served with soy sauce-braised egg, takuwan, steamed rice

or

Ham ricotta spinach pizza calzone

Western Breakfast

Fresh fruits of the season

Yoghurt

Cereals are also available upon your choice

Main course

Smoked salmon cheddar cheese frittata
Canadian ham, sauteed fresh spinach and pumpkin flapjack
(Energy 332.3 kcal)

Assorted bread served with homemade butter

Longan bread mixed with red wine, Danish with rum raisin

Chinese Breakfast

Soy bean milk

Plain congee

(Energy 87.5 kcal)

Assorted delicatessen

Fresh minced pork with eggplant and tofu
Pan-fried egg with spring onion and shrimp
Tossed sesame burdock
Selected shredded dry pork, salty egg
(Energy 206.8 kcal)

Steamed bun

103Q4-CI004C-3

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirit

Kavalan Single Malt Whisky
Aberfeldy 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky
Dewar's Family Reserve 12-Year-Old Blended Scotch
Smirnoff Vodka
Bacardi Light Rum
Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige
Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Portugal
Cherry Brandy
Bailey's Irish Cream

Chinese Rice Wine

Premium Shaohsing 10 Years (For Japan Routes Only)

Sake

Kizakura Ginjo (For Japan Routes Only)

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer
Heineken Beer
Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea
Jasmine Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Cappuccino

Champagne

Champagne A Robert, French
Champagne A Robert is a blend of 20% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, and 60% Pinot Meunier grapes. It is pale gold in color with a delicate flavor, sparkling overtones, and citrus and floral hints. In the mouth, it is well balanced, attractive, and fruity. Whether as an aperitif or served at table with grilled fish or cheese, it creates a joyous whole which finishes fresh.

White Wine

Domaine Moutard Diligent, 2012 Chablis 1er Cru
Chablis Chardonnay, France
This selection uses fifteen years Chardonnay vineyard grapes are brewing within the French Chablis white wine, is to adopt traditional planting, hand harvesting, transporting and crushing machinery, the use of alcohol and lactic acid in the apple barrel in stainless steel fermentation, after fermentation residue containing at least about 4 to 6 months of time before they can be bottled. The most basic way to filter in order to preserve the natural characteristics of the wine, and taken to the low-pressure way to ensure the quality of bottling. Delicious typical Chablis with a delicate white flowers, acacia and honey aroma, full of elegance and meticulous excellent taste experience.

Konig Johann, 2013 Riesling, Amarus, Mosel Spatlese
Mosel Valley Riesling White Wine, Germany
The Riesling grape is native to the Rhine basin of Germany. The best Riesling comes from the sunny vineyards of the Mosel, a tributary of the Rhine. The wine is characterized by aromas of white flowers, apple, pear, apricot and plum. The Riesling grape of the Mosel Valley is picked in late autumn, deliberately overripe, in order to increase the sugar content. It retains a lower alcohol content to keep a slightly higher residual sugar, and to create a unique honey-like fragrance. The slightly higher acidity of the Riesling grape balances the sweetness, making this wine sweet but not cloying, with some complexity and elegance. The wine goes well with seafood and chicken dishes. Due to its sweetness, it can go well with Thai food, Indian curries, Sichuan cuisine and other Asian cuisines.

O:Tu, Marlborough 2013 Sauvignon Blanc
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc White Wine, New Zealand
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand has been recognised worldwide as the wine that best presents the highlights of this unique grape variety : simple, fresh, fruity, balanced, just like the pure earth of New Zealand. The wine in the first nose has attractive aromas of guava and pineapple. And in the second nose comes flavors of orange, lemon, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Slightly higher acidity brings a fresh hedonistic excitement. After the acidity fades in the mouth, an elegant minerality emerges leaving an impressive aftertaste. This white wine is a perfect aperitif and also goes well with a variety of dishes including seafood and poultry.

Red Wine

Chateau La Gorce, 2006 Medoc
Chateau La Gorce, France
The wine was produced in Medoc, an area runs along the western bank of the Gironde estuary and is 7km away from Saint Estephe. This typical ruby-red Medoc wine is dark, deep, and oaky with rich red berries and spices. The aromas of cherries, plums, and minerals vividly reveal after slight shaking of the glass. The taste is soft, well-balanced with sturdy tannins and ripe fruit, and full-bodied with good length and persistence accompanied by woody and mineral aroma. Overall, this wine comes with elegant aroma, sweetly fragranced ripe fruit, and delicate attack on the palate as smooth as silk. Recommended with red meat and cheese.

Chianti Classico, 2011 COLI
Chianti Classico DOCG, Italy
This "Chianti Classico" is a full bodied wine, dry, recalling the sensations of the flavour, with good structure; sapid, cheerful, supple, a young and well balanced wine. With bottle aging this wine will become softer and more velvety. It is a great partner for rich red meat dishes, pasta and strongly flavored cheeses.

Galvin Family Cellars, 2009 Merlot Reserve
Napa Valley, Merlot Reserve, USA
The wine is from American Viticultural Area, Napa Valley which is made from elegant and approachable Merlot grapes. The color is a healthy dark ruby with aromas of red cherries, blackcurrants, plums, and seductive toasted oak. It is juicy, full-bodied, opulent, and layered with fruit and spice flavors. Long, supple tannins and elegance make it impossible to resist. Recommend to enjoy the wine with heavier flavor cuisine.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

San Francisco to Taipei on China Airlines B747-400 in business (SFO-TPE CI C)

By the time I'd gotten through immigration check in was just opening up. Nonetheless I opted to use the kiosk so I could double check if there was an empty row. This was a mistake. While I could view the seat map for my next flight the subsequent one did not give me the option to view or change seating, and my two boarding passes were again without my FFP number on it. So I visited check in anyway to get this sorted out.

The queue at security wasn't too bad so I reached the lounge when it too was just opening. It was very basic and didn't have the computers which the website said existed. No shower either, so I was glad to have gotten a shower before my flight to San Francisco. OTOH food and drinks were considerably better than say the Korean Air lounges, with a decent range of hot and cold options. I found a corner to curl up in and read until about 90 minutes before departure when I left to do some laps of the pier - partly to stretch my legs and partly to keep awake without resorting to coffee. After midnight there are no shops or cafes open, despite there being a few late departures from this pier (and also a couple of late night arrivals).

I opted to board late and once again I had an empty seat alongside. Normal service resumed - no problems with my drink orders and the meal tasted better. I went to sleep straight afterwards and awoke about 7 hours later partway through breakfast service. I managed another hour or so of dozing - not really asleep but not fully awake either.

We landed almost an hour early. I'd noticed in the early part of our flight our ground speed was over 1100 kmh, which is unusually high for a westbound flight.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
San Francisco to Taipei
October 2014

Late Night Supper

Appetizer

Scallop, prawn, mango salsa

Main course

Braised coffee flavor pork spare ribs
assorted vegetables, shrimp and pork fried rice

or

Grilled US beef tenderloin
carrot, purple cauliflower, asparagus, duchess potato, red wine sauce

or

Seared cod fillet
gratin zucchini with tomato, red potato, red bell pepper sauce

Assorted bread served with butter

Dutch crunch roll, multi grain roll, garlic bread

Haagen Dazs ice cream

Gourmet savory is available at any time

Assorted delicate dim sum

or

Ham and cheese croissant

Western Breakfast

Yoghurt

Cereals are also available upon your choice

Main course

Ham and cheese frittata
zucchini, tomato, chicken sausage, potato cake

Assorted bread served with homemade butter and jam

Blueberry muffin, brioche

Chinese Breakfast

Plain congee

Assorted delicatessen

Steamed tri color egg
Stuffed minced pork in tofu
Celery, bell pepper with soy bean curd
Shredded dry pork

Chinese bun

103Q4-CI003C-3

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirit

Kavalan Single Malt Whisky
Aberfeldy 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky
Dewar's Family Reserve 12-Year-Old Blended Scotch
Smirnoff Vodka
Bacardi Light Rum
Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige
Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Portugal
Cherry Brandy
Bailey's Irish Cream

Chinese Rice Wine

Premium Shaohsing 10 Years (For Japan Routes Only)

Sake

Kizakura Ginjo (For Japan Routes Only)

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer
Heineken Beer
Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea
Jasmine Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Cappuccino

Champagne

Champagne A Robert is a blend of 20% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, and 60% Pinot Meunier grapes. It is pale gold in color with a delicate flavor, sparkling overtones, and citrus and floral hints. In the mouth, it is well balanced, attractive, and fruity. Whether as an aperitif or served at table with grilled fish or cheese, it creates a joyous whole which finishes fresh.

White Wine

Domaine Moutard Diligent, 2012 Chablis 1er Cru
Chablis Chardonnay, France
This selection uses fifteen years Chardonnay vineyard grapes are brewing within the French Chablis white wine, is to adopt traditional planting, hand harvesting, transporting and crushing machinery, the use of alcohol and lactic acid in the apple barrel in stainless steel fermentation, after fermentation residue containing at least about 4 to 6 months of time before they can be bottled. The most basic way to filter in order to preserve the natural characteristics of the wine, and taken to the low-pressure way to ensure the quality of bottling. Delicious typical Chablis with a delicate white flowers, acacia and honey aroma, full of elegance and meticulous excellent taste experience.

The Riesling grape is native to the Rhine basin of Germany. The best Riesling comes from the sunny vineyards of the Mosel, a tributary of the Rhine. The wine is characterized by aromas of white flowers, apple, pear, apricot and plum. The Riesling grape of the Mosel Valley is picked in late autumn, deliberately overripe, in order to increase the sugar content. It retains a lower alcohol content to keep a slightly higher residual sugar, and to create a unique honey-like fragrance. The slightly higher acidity of the Riesling grape balances the sweetness, making this wine sweet but not cloying, with some complexity and elegance. The wine goes well with seafood and chicken dishes. Due to its sweetness, it can go well with Thai food, Indian curries, Sichuan cuisine and other Asian cuisines.

Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand has been recognised worldwide as the wine that best presents the highlights of this unique grape variety : simple, fresh, fruity, balanced, just like the pure earth of New Zealand. The wine in the first nose has attractive aromas of guava and pineapple. And in the second nose comes flavors of orange, lemon, blackcurrant and gooseberry. Slightly higher acidity brings a fresh hedonistic excitement. After the acidity fades in the mouth, an elegant minerality emerges leaving an impressive aftertaste. This white wine is a perfect aperitif and also goes well with a variety of dishes including seafood and poultry.

Red Wine

Chateau La Gorce, 2006 Medoc
Chateau La Gorce, France
The wine was produced in Medoc, an area runs along the western bank of the Gironde estuary and is 7km away from Saint Estephe. This typical ruby-red Medoc wine is dark, deep, and oaky with rich red berries and spices. The aromas of cherries, plums, and minerals vividly reveal after slight shaking of the glass. The taste is soft, well-balanced with sturdy tannins and ripe fruit, and full-bodied with good length and persistence accompanied by woody and mineral aroma. Overall, this wine comes with elegant aroma, sweetly fragranced ripe fruit, and delicate attack on the palate as smooth as silk. Recommended with red meat and cheese.

Chianti Classico DOCG, Italy
This "Chianti Classico" is a full bodied wine, dry, recalling the sensations of the flavour, with good structure; sapid, cheerful, supple, a young and well balanced wine. With bottle aging this wine will become softer and more velvety. It is a great partner for rich red meat dishes, pasta and strongly flavored cheeses.

The wine is from American Viticultural Area, Napa Valley which is made from elegant and approachable Merlot grapes. The color is a healthy dark ruby with aromas of red cherries, blackcurrants, plums, and seductive toasted oak. It is juicy, full-bodied, opulent, and layered with fruit and spice flavors. Long, supple tannins and elegance make it impossible to resist. Recommend to enjoy the wine with heavier flavor cuisine.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wow, three life time statuses. Envy.

Hmm China Airlines don't vary their wine list much. Must be easy for the caterer knowing any drinks trolley will do for any flight.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:21 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Wow, three life time statuses. Envy.
I'm not there yet on the third one. There is still more to come, including a few different Sky Team airlines.

Originally Posted by Moomba
Hmm China Airlines don't vary their wine list much. Must be easy for the caterer knowing any drinks trolley will do for any flight.
Yeah, they seem to have just 2, 1 for regional and 1 for longhaul (with quite a lot of overlap between them). The similar menus and common wine lists makes ordering a doddle, particularly on the routes I've flown repeatedly (eg AKL-SYD-TPE vv).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay in posting the next parts.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to Hong Kong on China Airlines B777-300ER in business (TPE-HKG CI C)
Hong Kong to Taipei on China Airlines B777-300ER in business (HKG-TPE CI C)

Given the early arrival I was not expecting the transfer desk to be open, since it was still before 5:30am. It was open so I got the next 2 boarding passes en route to the lounge. By the time I reached the lounge it had also opened and I went to grab a shower. They were all in use already so I had a 45 minute wait. There is no queue system so I just kept an eye on the time I tried again when I thought the showers may be empty, beating the influx of passengers as the lounge got busy.

I expected the flights would not be as late as on the inaugural date since early teething troubles should have been sorted out by now. It wasn't to be. The first flight was 80 minutes late. At least this time we had an announcement in the lounge of a 30 minute delay so I didn't go to the gate ridiculously early but it was still annoying being at the gate quite a distance from the lounge waiting for an indefinite delay. I received an email after departure saying the flight had been retimed We made up a little time en route. Our gate was well down the pier so I opted to use the west transfer security to save walking all the way to the other end and back again. That was a mistake. The line was very long and took more than 20 minutes to get through. During the turnaround they again lost time so the return flight departed over 90 minutes late. Fortunately I had plenty of time for my next flight.

The crew were great and kept my glass filled. I managed to watch almost 2 movies. The menu had changed from my previous flights.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 14, 2014 at 11:29 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
Taipei to Hong Kong
November 2014

Refreshment menu

Main course

Pan fried tilapia fish fillet
seasonal vegetables, egg fried rice

or

Baked chicken with parmesan cheese
baby corn, asparagus, pumpkin risotto cake, garlic cream sauce

Soft roll bread

Dessert

Red bean mousse cake

103B-THMC/HTMC-1

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Spirit

Kavalan Single Malt Whisky, Aberfeldy 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky, Dewar's Family Reserve 12-Year-Old Blended Scotch, Smirnoff Vodka, Bacardi Light Rum, Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige, Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Cherry Brandy, Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer, Heineken Beer, Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea, Jasmine Tea, Japanese Green Tea, Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Cappuccino

Champagne

White Wine

Red Wine

Conti Serristori Chianti Classico Red Wine, Italy
Prescribed by the rules of the DOCG, particularly acclaimed parcels selected in the Sienese part of the Classico zone of Chianti, on land in the communies of Castellina and Radda. Ruby red color, vinous bouquet fragrant of ripe grapes, violets and irises, with hints of fruits of the forest and vanila; dry, very attractive, clean and savory and pleasantly fruity flavor, aftertaste of raspberries and almonds. Food matches : poultry, steak, lamb, mixed grills and mature Pecorino cheese.

Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

China Airlines
Business Class menu
Hong Kong to Taipei
November 2014

Refreshment menu

Main course

Spicy garlic chicken with eggplant
broccoli, steamed rice

or

Pan fried dover sole fish
broccoli, carrot, anchovy and garlic cream sauce, poached potato

French baguette

Dessert

Mango mousse cake

103B-THMC/HTMC-2

Beverages Menu

Aperitif

Gin Tonic, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Spirit

Kavalan Single Malt Whisky, Aberfeldy 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky, Dewar's Family Reserve 12-Year-Old Blended Scotch, Smirnoff Vodka, Bacardi Light Rum, Gordon's Dry Gin

Digestif

Martell Noblige, Taylor's 10-Year-Old Tawny Port, Cherry Brandy, Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer

Golden Medal Taiwan Beer, Heineken Beer, Sapporo Beer

Tea

Oolong Tea, Jasmine Tea, Japanese Green Tea, Twinings Darjeeling Black Tea

Coffee

Fresh Brewed Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Cappuccino

Champagne

White Wine

Red Wine

Conti Serristori Chianti Classico Red Wine, Italy
Prescribed by the rules of the DOCG, particularly acclaimed parcels selected in the Sienese part of the Classico zone of Chianti, on land in the communies of Castellina and Radda. Ruby red color, vinous bouquet fragrant of ripe grapes, violets and irises, with hints of fruits of the forest and vanila; dry, very attractive, clean and savory and pleasantly fruity flavor, aftertaste of raspberries and almonds. Food matches : poultry, steak, lamb, mixed grills and mature Pecorino cheese.

Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Taipei to Brisbane on China Airlines A330-300 in business (TPE-BNE CI C)
Brisbane to Auckland on China Airlines A330-300 in business (BNE-AKL CI C)

I prefer to fly back from Taipei on the Sydney flight because it is less risky to connect to my onward domestic flights (which invariably are on separate tickets). Not only does the Sydney flight scheduled to arrive in Auckland nearly an hour earlier, but the curfew at Sydney means the flight will be prioritised because a delay of more than an hour will hit the curfew on the return back to Taipei. But this trip I was returning on a day when the flight routes via Brisbane.

Otherwise there is little difference. A slightly shorter flight for the first leg, so even less sleep. Full aircraft to Brisbane and, this time, also a full flight to Auckland.

Once again there was a modest delay in boarding - unannounced so again more time spent in the gate. 40 minutes this time. We made up time en route and arrived at Brisbane on time.

China Airlines uses the Air New Zealand lounge at Brisbane. At this time of year it isn't too full, but in southern winter the flight is timed similarly to two 777 Air NZ flights so the lounge is crowded. The boarding call in the lounge was made a little late and it took me a couple of minutes to save my work. By the time I made my way down the pier to the gate near the end the gate was empty of passengers. I just barely avoided the walk of shame for boarding late, reaching the aircraft just after the previous passengers who obviously had been waiting in the airbridge.

Onboard my seat was occupied as someone had decided they liked my seat better The crew didn't want to move the passenger to their proper seat so I ended up taking their seat. Of course they had put their carry on above their seat so there was no space for mine, which ended up in a closet.

We made good time and landed half an hour early. I thought I could switch to an earlier flight, maybe even the second prior flight from the one I had booked. It wasn't to be - we stopped on a taxiway for our gate to become free and pulled in on time. Immigration was empty but there was a long queue at customs, which took 20 minutes to get through (of which maybe 30 seconds was with the officer).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.