Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Taiwan: A last blast on Star Alliance through US Airways featuring Air China+Thai F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan: A last blast on Star Alliance through US Airways featuring Air China+Thai F

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Wonderful pictures. What camera did you use?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Originally Posted by injian
Wonderful pictures. What camera did you use?
I use an Olympus OM-D E-M5. Some of the photos are with the 12-50 mm kit lens (especially the ones from flights), but the vast majority off the airplane are with the Olympus f-1.8, 25 mm prime lens. Before shooting with one, I'd always rolled my eyes at photographers prattling on about prime lens, but now I am one of those prime obsessed photographers. To begin with, I never noticed the lack of sharpness at the corners of images; when composition is altered so that the focus points are out of the center of the photos, this really starts to come into play. Obviously, being able to open the lens wide up (f-1.8) and extremely pleasing bokeh are icing on the cake. Overall, in my photography, I've found that the improved optical qualities of the prime more than make up for having to do more work in composing photos (instead of zoom, I have to walk back or forward or crop after shooting). If I had a wider prime, I'm sure I'd use it for the flights too, but for now it's too pricey and I'm still using mostly the 12-50 kit for flights.

Originally Posted by Carq
Very nice photos! Did you do some editing on them (on photoshop or lightscape) or are you just a great photographer?
There's some minimal if any adjustment of levels on about half of the photos, usually just a fast tug on the "highlights" or "shadows" slider in Picassa. For photos where I really think I under or over exposed it, usually I just toss it out, but if I absolutely must save it for some reason (composition, subject interest, etc.), I'll go ahead and fire up Photoshop starting with Adobe's RAW editor and go at it with exposure, clarity, vibrancy, curves, and even feathered selection of certain elements to have different curves for different parts if I want to do some tonal flattening.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
You mentioned a couple of possible FTers on your flight to Beijing. I wonder if it was SFO777 and his wife. He recently posted a TR about Air China F to Beijing.
Hah, I thought about that, but I double checked dates and Ms. SFO777's appearance from the recent thread and I cannot confirm the sighting.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Head to head which was better CA F or TG?
Hmm, I think they're honestly relatively comparable. I'll give Air China the edge on food quality by a significant degree (except for the caviar which Air China didn't offer at all) but Thai for the ground services and "little touches" including the Rimowa ammenity kit as well as the orchids everywhere.

So, I noticed the Madone username; how often do you ride while travelling? Do you ever take your bike with you or do you rent bikes when you get there? Any favorite rides while travelling?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for sharing with us. Great TR and photos.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: United Silver
Those are some great photos. Looks like it was a fun trip.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Wonderful pictures, excellent report! Taiwan is in my list for some time now...
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I like Air China hard product a lot. But their first class soft product is merely business class. If they can up the game there, we'll have another great trans-Pacific first class product. Their biz class is already top notch.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: most of them
Great report!

Since I visited a couple of times I think Taiwan is a really under-rated destination.

And Bangkok is one of my favorite places so it's nice to see it as well. I love the chaos of the city. This is the way most Thai coups go. Things stay under wraps for a while. The whole situation is very complicated. Once the King dies I expect all hell will break loose.

Big thumbs up for the E-M5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.