Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
isaifan - thank you for sharing your experience. I am Muslim and I have learnt more from your report about Hajj than any other reading in my life. Absolutely amazing.

Thank you.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Absolutely amazing report. As a non-Muslim living in Dubai for years I think I know a lot about Ramadan, Eid and Hajj - but this truly gave me a extremely great insight. Thanks so much for sharing all this!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Excellent report! Thanks! ^^^
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks so much!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
GReat report, thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thank you for an insight that I may not have received anywhere else!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The report and pictures were great.

Were people from the same country housed in the same tents, or did you get a mix of people?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingarthur
....How does the Saudi government and the tour groups handle different sects within Islam? ....

Also I make the following comment very respectfully... The account of hundreds dying from errant stones only a few years ago sounds barbaric, as well as your own experience of enduring serious health risks to fulfill a religious duty.
Originally Posted by SMART51
Usually different sects in Islam have there different compounds but in general they all follow the same ritual.

Imagine over 2 million moving at the same time from one place to another, that's a logistical nightmare, accident do happen, usually from people being trampled by other people, or a fire in a compound, every year brings more improvement in security by opening new roads and tunnels, new fire prevention measures etc...

Never heard of hundred of peoples dying from errant stones, usually the stones are as small as pebbles, injuries are common yes but that was before the opening of the improved site...
Thank you kingarthur for reading and for your questions. I think SMART51 has answered them perfectly.

Isaifan

Thank you for an excellent report. You did a great job trying to describe the atmosphere of those few days where millions of people gather to accomplish a spiritual trip.

That cough, we all suffered from it, my own explanation and i might be wrong, is that the change of climate few times during the day from air conditioning rooms to a strong heat outside the tents.

The Saudi government is trying it best and learning new lessons every year and improving the logistics of hosting so many people at the same time in the same place.
Less and less each year people dying from incidents during the Hajj.

Again thank you.حج مبروك وذنب مغفور تقبل الله منكم ومنا صالح الأعمال
The above writing in Arabic is the usual wishes to whoever accomplish the Hajj ritual wishing them that God accept there Hajj and forgive there sins.
Thank you very much SMART51. Eid Mubarak.

Originally Posted by mrx900
Bro--that was an amazing trip report--my coworkers were asking me left and right about Hajj, and i pointed out your TR. Great work on describing the rituals and the process. I personally did Umrah a couple years back, but Hajj is a whole different atmosphere.... May your Hajj be accepted, and I hope you have returned safely and healthy. MY dad came back with that cough and lasted like 2 weeks. Eid Mubarak!
Thank you mrx900. I read your Umrah report. Very well done. Eid Mubarak to you as well.

Originally Posted by videoman
You and your wife certainly partook of the whole experience, but I wonder, at the end of the pilgrimage, how all this impacted you personally on a spiritual level?
Thanks videoman for reading and your question. After we came back, we were on a spiritual high, trying to do our best. Unfortunately, as time and life goes on, we kind of lost that spiritual sense. I think this is natural though, regressing back to "normal". Luckily, we have other opportunities throughout the year to try to again gain the spiritual high.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
At Geneva Airport I often see people going on Haj dressed in white.
They seem to fly on Egyptair and not Saudia everytime I see them.

It seems that Saudia would be more convenient.

A Muslim friend of mine told me the prices are extremely expensive. However he is Ismaeli and they don't go on the Haj.
Interesting observation Bretteee. It would seem strange that they have the Ihram on from Geneva if they are still going to connect through CAI. It would be better suited, and more comfortable, to put the Ihram on from there. But, for each their own.

Yes, prices are expensive, especially these last few years. In the last few years, there has been a lot of demolition of old hotels, the room capacity has decreased. I'm expecting that when the new buildings and hotels are open, and more supply of rooms are available, prices will decrease.

Originally Posted by farbster
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. What makes this outstanding, is that it focuses on what you did on your travels, not just the movies on the plane etc...

Just a few questions:

1) Is there any criticism that it is so expensive to do this?
2) Were there any members of Nation of Islam that you could see?
3) Would a single woman go on their own?
4) Do people bring children? Are children allowed to go?

Thanks again!
Thanks farbster for the questions.
1) Not really. The fees to the Saudi Government are fairly low, I think about $200 per person. The rest is for the hotels, or apartment owners, tour operators, etc. Basic economic supply and demand. High demand, high prices.
2) That is the beauty of the Ihram. There is no differentiating between different cultures, professions, wealth, etc.
3) If a woman is above 50, I believe, she can go without a male guardian.
4) They are allowed, but very few people bring children. It would be very difficult for both the child and parent.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Thanks for posting this fascinating report...easily the most interesting and insightful I've ever read here on FT. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Thanks ironmanjt. Long time follower of yours, you got a few adventures yourself.

Originally Posted by price123
Nothing new I can really say that hasn't already been posted. An amazing trip report. We had recently been talking to a taxi driver in Muscat who wants to go the the Hajj, but has paid for his children to go before going himself. Really fascinating to read about it first hand. I hadn't realised that it was so difficult.
Thanks price123 for your input. That taxi driver is very kind to do that. Living in America, we are very fortunate in regards to Hajj. Saudi limits the number of people traveling from each country, due to the Muslim population. The US and most western countries are not limited do to the low percentages of Muslims. So, if one wishes, and they have the money, they can go every year. In heavily populated Muslim countries, like Malaysia, Indonesia, India, etc they enter their names onto a waiting list and usually takes 30 years to be accepted. Other than from the Western countries, you will find most Hajj Pilgrims to be in their 50s or 60s.

Originally Posted by SFO777
What a wonderful and truly fascinating report. Thank you so much isaifan for sharing this amazing experience.
Thanks so much SFO777. Means a lot coming from a trip report legend. Again, I went with the most basic package that Mrs. SFO777 would not approve of, but there are more VIP packages for her taste. Plus, plenty of shopping malls around

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Awesome trip report.
Thanks for sharing.

But I'm curious, what's in the big box in the middle of the stadium where the people walk around? Sorry don't mean to offend, but I'm not sure what else to call it. Or maybe it's an open air mosque?
In any case, I thought it was a tomb/burial grounds of sort?

Thanks in advance!
The building in the middle of the Mosque is called the Kaaba
Suggest reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba
http://www.reference.com/browse/Kaaba
Thanks iceblueshoes for the question, and thanks SMART51 for having my back again.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The report and pictures were great.

Were people from the same country housed in the same tents, or did you get a mix of people?
Great question. The Mena tents are separated by countries and regions. so you would stay with people from your country. North America and Europe, are in a similar region of Mena. The African countries are in another. Asian countries are another. Walking through Mena to the Jamarat, is like going through a world fair.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Gold Hilton-Starwood-ClubCarlson-LeClub /Amex/ Gold Cathay-Silver BA-Etihad Silver
MashaAllah - Praises to God

Thank you so much for this trip report it is beautiful. We are planning an Umrah trip and then Hajj as people always say you need so much patience for Hajj.

It is beautiful to see all the photos, what an awesome experience.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Wow--really, really cool. I always wondered about this process, which is quite mysterious to us non-Muslims (and especially to a Jewish person such as myself, as our faiths are similar in so many ways, and yet most of us know very little about the Muslim spiritual experience).

Thank you for sharing this with us all, and congratulations on completing your Hajj! ^
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
What a fascinating report!!!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:18 pm

Absolutely brilliant TR Isaifan! Learned so much from that. Hajj Mubarak.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:48 pm

Eid mubarrak to all Muslims among us. What a gr8 TR. Wish i had made this once in a lifetime experiene aswell. Maybe next year insaallah. and of course Hajj mubarak esp to you and ur wife and to all people who made this journey
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
What a beautiful and touching report. I know I will never be able to go to Hajj myself, but while reading this report I felt I was already there - part of it! Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Thank you, isaifan, for a TR that is simultaneously stunning, informative, unique, and personal. Truly a pleasure to read!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.