Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:17 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Quite exceptional. ^

Thank you for sharing such an intimate, and deeply religious, experience with us all.

Those of us of other faiths have little idea of the implications on the Hajj, simply that 'it exists'. You have given us an amazing insight into what is required of a individual to undertake the journey.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks so much for providing a window into this tradition. It seems to have a good balance of communal and individual activities. I think this question is relevant to the experience but if too OT, mods can delete... How does the Saudi government and the tour groups handle different sects within Islam? Clearly there are lots of rules everyone must follow, but every now and then you hear stories about certain groups wanting to practice a conservative / strict Sharia interpretation at Hajj. I guess I'm wondering if any sects are not welcome and about the extent of segregation within the compounds. In any case, it seems like people gravitate towards whatever sect they prefer while avoiding the others?

Also I make the following comment very respectfully, hoping you understand that it's an observation perhaps discolored by my own cultural context... The account of hundreds dying from errant stones only a few years ago sounds barbaric, as well as your own experience of enduring serious health risks to fulfill a religious duty. I realize that it's billed as a "rite of passage" whereby "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger," but it appears to an outsider like an environment where adhering to the letter of the law trumps common sense. I don't understand the logic that God is honored by people following rules at the expense of protecting the human lives he created. With that said, it does sound like some improvements to the experience are taking place. Thank you again for the report!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Amazing Trip Report - Masha'Allah

Bro--that was an amazing trip report--my coworkers were asking me left and right about Hajj, and i pointed out your TR. Great work on describing the rituals and the process. I personally did Umrah a couple years back, but Hajj is a whole different atmosphere.... May your Hajj be accepted, and I hope you have returned safely and healthy. MY dad came back with that cough and lasted like 2 weeks. Eid Mubarak!

Last edited by mrx900; Oct 2, 2014 at 2:48 pm Reason: Saudi Trip Addition
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold/ LH FF/ Starwood Platinum/ Hilton Gold
Isaifan, you have done a great job (and a good deed!) in sharing your journey with FT readers.
I was especially interested in your observations about the spiritual meaning of the pilgrimage. As you put it, "people were reflecting and hoping that the purpose of the Hajj, to be forgiven and start anew, would be fulfilled."
You and your wife certainly partook of the whole experience, but I wonder, at the end of the pilgrimage, how all this impacted you personally on a spiritual level?
Thank you again for letting us be a part of your experience of a lifetime!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Kingarthur.

Usually different sects in Islam have there different compounds but in general they all follow the same ritual. Few years ago, people from a certain country tried to use the Hajj for political goals, this was met with a strong response and it was made very clear that such moves are not acceptable, people are there for one reason and one reason only.

Imagine over 2 million moving at the same time from one place to another, that's a logistical nightmare, accident do happen, usually from people being trampled by other people, or a fire in a compound, every year brings more improvement in security by opening new roads and tunnels, new fire prevention measures etc...

Never heard of hundred of peoples dying from errant stones, usually the stones are as small as pebbles, injuries are common yes but that was before the opening of the improved site.

It is very astonishing that while all this people from all over the world, are there in the same area for about a week the recorded incident of fights or crimes is very much less than the end of a single football/soccer match. People are there for those few days to accomplish one thing, and a lot of them went through a lot of sacrifice to get there.

One event i will never forget, a son carrying his old mother and walking few miles to get to Arafah, the smile never left his face.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Isaifan

Thank you for an excellent report. You did a great job trying to describe the atmosphere of those few days where millions of people gather to accomplish a spiritual trip.

That cough, we all suffered from it, my own explanation and i might be wrong, is that the change of climate few times during the day from air conditioning rooms to a strong heat outside the tents.

The Saudi government is trying it best and learning new lessons every year and improving the logistics of hosting so many people at the same time in the same place.
Less and less each year people dying from incidents during the Hajj.

Again thank you.حج مبروك وذنب مغفور تقبل الله منكم ومنا صالح الأعمال
The above writing in Arabic is the usual wishes to whoever accomplish the Hajj ritual wishing them that God accept there Hajj and forgive there sins.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:36 am

At Geneva Airport I often see people going on Haj dressed in white.
They seem to fly on Egyptair and not Saudia everytime I see them.

It seems that Saudia would be more convenient.

A Muslim friend of mine told me the prices are extremely expensive. However he is Ismaeli and they don't go on the Haj.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. What makes this outstanding, is that it focuses on what you did on your travels, not just the movies on the plane etc...

Just a few questions:

1) Is there any criticism that it is so expensive to do this?
2) Were there any members of Nation of Islam that you could see?
3) Would a single woman go on their own?
4) Do people bring children? Are children allowed to go?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Wow, many thanks for sharing. I can only echo what has been said before, and I cannot even fathom what the logistics must be to manage so many people.
And your photos were stunning, thank you.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:24 am

By the way I want to add to my previous comment that your report was fantastic / very educational.

Lastly, I had read that they are building many expensive condominiums in Mecca and that there has been some criticism of this.

Thank you.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SMART51
Kingarthur.
Thanks for the response! What you said makes sense and I can see why people would be attracted to an experience that unifies that many people, dangers and lack of creature comforts aside. We are all searching for greater meaning in life. So the passion of this TR report strikes a chord, especially given the emptiness of self-focused and materialistic western culture. Faith and objective truth are not always easy to reconcile. But it's a noble cause to transcend culture in pursuit of both.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Thanks for sharing. Truly unique TR.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:21 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Fantastic and unique report of a place very few get to see! I flew on LH FRA-JED-FRA last year and there were many Umrah pilgrims on the flight. It took me awhile too to get through immigration. I didn't get to see any more of Saudi other than Jeddah.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:48 am

As a non-Muslim, I have always wondered what the hajj was like. Thanks for such an informative TR on the most important pilgrimage one can make in the Islamic faith.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.