Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cubana IL96 in C (yes i am serious) to Havanna followed by Machu Pichu, Cuzco & Quito

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cubana IL96 in C (yes i am serious) to Havanna followed by Machu Pichu, Cuzco & Quito

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;

It has been some time since my last trip report - but i finally found the time to write about the trip i took this summer.

At first i just wanted to visit Machu Picchu - but when looking for flights and itineraries it evolved to a little more - in the end i would stop in Paris, Havanna, Cuzco and Quito as well.

The final Itinerary looked like this:

MUC-CDG

One night in Paris

ORY-HAV

A few days in Havanna

HAV-LIM-CUZ

A few days in Cuzco, followed by a trip to Machu Picchu

CUZ-LIM-UIO

2 Days in Quito

UIO-BOG-FRA-MUC

As flying there is only have the fun (and i didn`t even use a plane for alle the destinations) i will also write a little about the places i visited and share a few pictures with you.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

MUC-CDG with AirFrance (C)

The first leg was nothing exciting - as my flight to Cuba would start in Paris Orly i had to get to Paris first. So the whole trip would start with a rather boring AirFrance flight from Munich to Paris

There really is not much to write about that flight - the service was as usual - nuts and drinks.

During the obligatory trip around the airport after landing (am i the only one that always lands on the runway as far away from the terminal as possible in CDG) i catched a glimpse of Concorde.

Luggage was delivered pretty quick - and my trip almost got ruined in the beginning when somebody mistook my bag for his and started to leave. That happens when you by a light blue bag so it looks different and doesn't get mistaken: Somebody on your flight has the same idea
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

One Night in Paris

All the flights from Munich to Paris land in CDG - but Cubana uses Orly instead, so i had to change Airports in Paris.

Luckily a friend of me was the same weekend in Paris - so instead of booking a short connection and hoping i would make it i flew to Paris a day earlier and spent the night in town.

We had lunch that evening and took a walk through Paris the next day.

Around noon it was time for me to get to the Airport
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

ORY-HAV with Cubana (C)

There are a few options to reach Cuba from Germany. There are direct flights with Leisure Airlines like Air Berlin or Condor. Also some Legacy Carriers like Air France or Air Canada fly to Havanna.

I took none of them - but flew with Cubas national Airline Cubana instead.
The Airline of course has a homepage - which isn't the most user friendly homepage i encountered so far… Finally i found out, that they serve Havanna from Madrid and Paris. As Paris was much cheaper then Madrid (and actually fitted my schedule better) i decided for Paris as my starting point. (I later found out, that we would make a stop in Santiago de Cuba on the way) Also Business Class was only about 50 Euro more then Economy - so this decision was also taken quickly.

Booking on the homepage was the same as with every other airline - only that in the middle of the booking process when a new page loaded it changed from english to spanish on itself. But with my little knowledge of Spanish and a little more lucky guessing i managed to fill the right information into the correct fields. Payment with Creditcard (MasterCard) was also possible and worked without a problem.

So i was all set for my first departure from Paris Orly - so far i only landed here a few timens.
To be honest - its not one of the nicer airports…

Check-in for Cubana was (hidden) somewhere in the basement beside Easyjet. There was already a huge line at Check-in when i arrived - but as i was travelling Business Class (called Club Tropical) i was allowed to skip the line.

On the way to the lounge i passed my gate and could take a look at my plane for today.

The pinnacle of sovjet aircraft design: A IL96-300

As it was still some time until boarding i visited the lounge.
There was enough seating on comfortable couches and also a few drinks and snacks of course.

There even was an open air area (but sadly with no view)

Boarding started around an hour after the schedule departure time.

I never flew on a sovjet or russian plane before - and i soon noticed a few differences to the Boeing or Airbus planes i am more used to.

The air nozzles for example are not in the ceiling - but rather in the back of the seat in front of you.

Also the oxygen masks are not deployed from the ceiling - but also from the back of the seat in front of you. (Nobody explained how you could reach them in Business class where the Seat pich was really generous)

Of course there also was an In flight magazine with all the usual information like route map and an overview with all the planes of the airline (no idea how they found an A320)

The Layout in Business Class in the IL96 was in 2-2-2 with very comfortable recliner seat. They really were comfortable for sitting - and the legroom was really good. Unfortunately they were not that good for sleeping, as they didn`t recline very far.

The first round of drinks was served while still on the ground - first Plus for Cubana as they serve pre departure drinks in real glasses instead of plastic cups like some other airlines.

Business class was almost full - but i had the impression that lots of friends and family of the flight crew where among the passengers.

Even the windows looked a little different as i know them.

The Plan even had a camera in the nose that showed whats going on around the plane.

After a little wait at the runway the four Aviadvigatel PS-90A Engines safely lifted us from the ground.

During takeoff i could get a little glimpse into the Cockpit - the door opened by itself. (The same happend a few times during the flight during turbulences)

The Cabin felt really roomy - in part because there only where overhead bins at the sides and not in the middle - but i also had the impression the ceiling was a lot higher then on other planes i know.

Soon after takeoff i took a walk around the plane - the design of this shelf reminds me of the kitchen top my grandmother had.

The IL96 was also the first plane where i noticed four different kinds of screws being used to secure one Plate (and also the first head screws i saw on a plane)

Of course we also got amenity kits - even with a sewing kit!

There also where sockets on every seat

Some time after takeoff the service began with the first round of drinks. Unfortunately i couldn`t get a Gin & Tonic, as they were missing two of the ingredients…
Instead i had rum (from a selection of three different ones!) I also got some nuts - not just served in a bag - but on a plate.

I was a little suprised they had Coca Cola.

After drinks we where asked what we wanted to eat. There were no menus available - the crew explained the options to the passangers. (About half of the crew spoke really good english - the other one not really) The choices where „Fish with Broccoli“, „Chicken with Potatoes“ or „Beef with Tagliatelle“

While waiting for my dinner i discovered a TV in the armrest - unfortunately all i could make it do was glow Blue…

… i tried again later and could at least display information about the flight like Speed or Altitude.

Of course we also got hot towels (real towels - no napkins)

The Tablecloth even had the Cubana Logo on it!

My chicken was served together with starter and Salad on a tray. The Main Course on China, the rest on plastic plates.

Where some airlines try to impress with fancy ideas for food in business class - which doesn`t work out too often - Cubana served something more simple - but really good tasting.

Of course we got also a selection of different breads or rolls from a breadbasket.

After the Main Course we got Cheese and Dessert.

I then tried to sleep a few hours - but wasn`t very successfull - the seat is really not made for sleeping.

As mentioned earlier we didn`t fly directly to Havanna but made a stop in Santiago de Cuba instead.

About 90 minutes bevore landing in Santiago we got another snack.

And then we arrived in Santiago de Cuba - at the most desserted Airport i ever visited. Aside from a few runway lights and a few more at the (small) terminal there was no light at all. I also couldn`t see any of the small baggage carts or all the other stuff you usually see at airports. There only was one military jeep with three uniformed and armed army guys on the apron (you remember the PanAm Episode where they land in Port-au-Price? Was a little like that)

At first all the passengeres with Santiago de Cuba as destination got of the plane. A little later all the rest of us was asked to deplane to and wait in the terminal.

As there where no jetbridges or busses we had a nice view at our plane when walking across the apron to the terminal.

We had to wait about an hour in the Terminal before we were asked to board again.

Soon thereafter we where on our way again for the last 500 miles to Havanna.

Immigration in Havanna was really quick - just the luggage really took some time.

To summarize i was actually impressed by Cubana (But didn`t have really high expectations) Of course the seat is outdated - but aside from that Cubana (and also the IL-96) compares quite good with other Airlines.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Havanna - Part 1 of 3

I spent the next three days in Havanna - here are a few pictures from the City.

Some of the Building - especially close to the center - are restored really nice

It was funny watching those two couples taking pictures from the neighboring balconies

As there are almost no new cars in cuba the streets look a lot different then what i am used to.

Not all of the buildings (actually the majority) are not as nicely restored as in the earlier pictures

Here we have the 109 Meter high Jose-Martin-Memorial at Plaza de la Revolucion.

And on the opposite side of the square two government buildings with images of Fidel and Che

There also are lots of statues all over town.

And of course you also can by (reasonably priced) cigars.

Looks like the entrance to Chinatown

The closer you get to the center - the nicer the streets and houses look

Some of the cars look almost like new (those are the ones that offer rides around townd for tourist in) I actually used one of these as a taxi to the airport - although it took me some time to convince the driver to drive me there for a reasonable price.

The Capitol

Bar Floridita - Ernest Hemingways was a regular here

You can also the see the spanish influence

There are lots of small cafes and restaurants in the old town

Of course you can get a Mojito almost everywhere.

„The old man and the see“ takes place in a small fishing village not far from Havanna.

Last edited by ARJ85; Sep 29, 2014 at 4:52 am
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Havanna - Part 2 of 3

Here a few more pictures from the streets of Havanna

The view from the hotel roof

And a few more pictures of the cars - most of them are not beautiful restored but only fixed so far that they work

But not only the cars are colourful - also the houses are

Even as Havanna is right at the ocean - not much is going on at the corniche (the small alleys in the old town are a lot busier)

But right at the coast you can find fortifications from spanish colonial times

Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Wow!

My #1 rule of travel is: Do not board an airplane made in Russia.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Havanna - Part 3 of 3

For the last chapter about Havanna - first a few more cars.

I also visited the Museum of the Revolution, which is (of course) located in the former palace of dictator Batista.

In the Area behind the museum there is an exhibition showing different vehicles that played a role during the revolution (for example the yacht castro and his comrades used to travel from mexico to cuba, as well as the remains of the U-2 that was shot down during the cuba-crisis in 1962)

From the revolution museum its just a short walk back to the capitol

And lets finish this chapter with a few more pictures of Havanna.

You could not only get Mojitos everywhere - they also were really cheap

After three days in Havanna it was time to get to the Airport for my flight to Peru
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

HAV-LIM with Aviana (C)

The closest airport to Machu Picchu is in Cuczo - luckily Cuczo itself is a city worth visiting, so it was no problem having to fly there first. As Cuczo has only flights to Lima i first had to get there.

When searching flights for Havanna - Lima i sound stumbled upon a airline a few of you here at flyer talk may have heard about: AVIANCA.

As it is almost a five hour flight the prices even in economy where really expensive! But luckily i had some miles with Avianca-Lifemiles (don`t know how….) so i could book the flight in Business for a very reasonable price.
(does this make me the first one here to actually use Avianca-Miles for an Avianca-Flight?)

As mentioned earlier i used a really cool taxi (built in 1957 - the hood alone was longer than my car) for the drive to the airport.

Thanks to the separate line for Business check in at Havanna was really quick - and soon i was airside in Terminal three (inaugurated by Fidel and the Prime Minister of Canada?)

Its a great Airport for spotting - where else can you see Angola Airlnes for example?

And here we have my TacaPeru A319 (looks like it takes some time to complete the Avianca-Taca Merger)

The Air Condition was really busy

The first impression was really good. Business was in 2-2 Layout (Economy as usual in 3-3) For americans thats nothing special - for a european like me thats always a nice surprise when Business in a Narrowbody is more than just economy seats with a free middle seat - especially considering this will be a five hour flight.

There were also a few TVs at the ceiling above every second row and quite good headphones at every seat.

There was a funny moment when the Stewardess greeted us for our flight to Lima - and two of the passengers suddenly left in a hurry after that…

Still on the ground we got the first round of drinks and some nuts.

I just realised that HAV-LIM with 2.448 Miles was my longest flight on an Airbus Narrowbody so far.

Even as the Livery still said Taca - the inflight magazine and everything else on board already said Avianca.

They of course also have an overview over the whole fleet in the inflight magazine.

And two pages are dedicated to their frequent flyer program - including all the partners you can generate miles with.

Departure was a little delayed because it rained cats and dogs (is that how you say it in english? we in germany just say it rains like out of buckets)

Dinner started soon after takeoff - maybe there was a choice (my seat neighbor got something different) but i didn`t get asked - i got pasta - which werent really good.

Next was a small chocolate cake - and after the crew cleaned my table that was the last time i saw them during the flight.

The rest of the flight was uneventful (among other thins i watched a episode of friends on the TV - just mentioning it because today is the 20th anniversary of the start of that show) and a few hours later we were in Lima.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

LIM-CUZ with Star Peru (Y)

I arrived late in the evening in Lima - and my flight to Cuzco would leave early the next morning - so all i saw from Lima aside from the Airport was the Airport Hotel.

For the flight to Cuczo i had a choice of Avianca, LAN, StarPeru or Peruvian.

This would have been my plane if i had taken Peruvian.

But i took Star Peru instead - which serve the route with a BAE 146-100.

Lima airport is apparently also used by perus armed forces.

The seats on board were in the cozy 3-3 layout - as my row stayed empty i could nontheless breathe.

There even was service on that short flight - we got drinks…

… and peanuts.

And soon we were above Cuzco.

Where we first passed the airport.

And then started a really steep decent towards the runway - 3.400 meters above sea level - my highest airport so far!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Cuzco - Part 1 of 2

For the first day i really had problems adjusting to the altitude. (My Hotel had no elevator and i was really out of breath when reaching my room on the fourth floor)

So i started my days in Cuzco with a SLOW walk around the city.

The center of the city is Plaza de Armas, surrounded by two churches and lots of Restaurants and Hotels.

The statue/fountain in the center of the square

Another fountain at Plaza San Francisco

And a short walk from there is the church Santa Klara

And to the left of it Mercado San Pedro

Not also the market hall was really busy - also the streets around it.

Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Cuzco - Part 2 of 2

Cuzco was for some time Capital of the Inca Empire - so you still can see some remains from this time.

Many walls in the old town where build by the Inca (and later used as foundation for buildings by the spanish)

The Inca didn`t use any mortar for their walls - every stone was hew so it fitted perfectly to the next one.

At the northeastern end of Plaza de Armas is the impressive Cathedral of Cuczo

As mentioned earlier - the stones were hewn so they fit perfectly - even if that meant they had to have 12 corners.

As Machu Picchu is not far away (but still not that easy to reach) there are lots of travel agency in Cuczo selling trips there.

Aside from Machu Picchu there are a few other Inca sites in the area - for most of them you need a car or bus to reach them - but one is really close - Sacsayhuaman is just a short walk above Cuzco.

In the areas you can spot Lamas (or Alpaccas - never can remember whats the difference)?

A few words about the weather - most of the time it was ok just for 15 minutes in Cuzco the world seemed to end - with thunder and hail and everything.

But 15 minutes later everything was fine again.

From the fortress i had a nice view over the old town

Inca ruines and a lama (or Alpacca) every tourist has to take such a picture!

And before leaving for machu picchu the next morning i went to Plaza de Armas again in the evening for dinner.

Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Wow, I´m totally impressed by your report! Thank you for this one! To be honest I´m absolutely not impressed by Cubana
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Amazing...thanks for sharing! I definitely know how I'm going to fly to Cuba when I go now!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:26 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Amazing photos! Cuba's my last remaining country to visit in the Americas so hoping to get there soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.