Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Beijing and Shanghai via Air China and JAL First Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Very Nice report! I spent about 1/2 of my time in China now and have not incurred to me to do a trip report on China and Air China premium cabin. You have given me some ideas. Hope I can make it happen in this forum.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
I actually lived in an apartment on one of the upper floors of the Jingguang about 15 years ago. At the time, I described it as a B+ building on the edge of the CBD, but assumed it had devolved to C-grade status during the ensuing years because Beijing's climate/pollution isn't kind to buildings (e.g. witness the Great Wall Sheraton or CITIC building on Chang'an Jie).

As such, I was shocked when I first learned that Rosewood was trying to save it (I always assumed that it would be torn down and replaced because the real estate is valuable enough to justify A-grade hardware and it's really hard to change things like floor plans in existing high rises).

In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing what Rosewood has done with it apart from adding the ~5 story facade.
Our paths may have crossed. I also worked and stayed at the Jingguang about 15 years ago. It was under Hong Kong New World Hotel Management, IIRC.

I, too, am surprised to see it will become a Rosewood. I guess a local PRC real estate developer took over the building and Rosewood will manage the hotel property and the service apartments, and part of the building will be office spaces just like before. Hope it will turn out to be better than the old Jingguang.

IMHO, the old Jingguang had boring interior (both hotel and service apartment side), and the quality of the fittings were below average.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:30 am

Terrific report! Too bad you didn't have more time on this trip, but you can always go back again!!

We took the maglev to the airport when we left Shanghai and that was quite an experience. We did have the luxury of having our guide send our luggage to the in the van and we went with the guide on the train and met up at PVG.

Everyone should visit China and not worry about the smog. Such a great experience.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by farbster
Terrific report! Too bad you didn't have more time on this trip, but you can always go back again!!

We took the maglev to the airport when we left Shanghai and that was quite an experience. We did have the luxury of having our guide send our luggage to the in the van and we went with the guide on the train and met up at PVG.

Everyone should visit China and not worry about the smog. Such a great experience.
SIN a couple weeks ago was just as bad
(though, arguably, it's not the same as one is from foreign pollution not under their control, and the other is almost entirely domestic pollution...)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
ROFL I couldn't agree more, as Korean the Korean beer such as Max, HITE and etc just feels like waterdown beer. The only Asian beer that I stick to consistently are probably only Tiger and Asahi~!!
To be fair to SFO777 it is better than valor/blue ice or even a more 'premium' (which it isn't) kind like Blue Girl.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Our paths may have crossed. I also worked and stayed at the Jingguang about 15 years ago. It was under Hong Kong New World Hotel Management, IIRC.

I, too, am surprised to see it will become a Rosewood. I guess a local PRC real estate developer took over the building and Rosewood will manage the hotel property and the service apartments, and part of the building will be office spaces just like before. Hope it will turn out to be better than the old Jingguang.

IMHO, the old Jingguang had boring interior (both hotel and service apartment side), and the quality of the fittings were below average.
New World acquired Rosewood 3 years ago.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
To be fair to SFO777 it is better than valor/blue ice or even a more 'premium' (which it isn't) kind like Blue Girl.
I actually prefer Hite and Cass to Asahi (to quote one of my Japanese restaurant owner friends, "a sushi beer, at best"). Tiger is okay when it's on (well maintained, and fresh) tap, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I'm curious to hear which Beijing beer SFO777 had and liked. I'm going to cross Beijing Beer off the list because that stuff is even worse than Tsingtao in the big bottles. That leaves us with Yanjing. Though I'm not a fan, I can tolerate the 纯生. The same goes for Tsingtao as well; plus Tsingtao makes some much better beers (e.g. clear bottles with gold label, brown stubbies, and the stuff that they export).
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:35 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
"M" On the Bund is classic Shanghai dining.

My last meal there in 2012 was fabulous, as was the atmosphere and the vibe from the place. I'd easily return. ^
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
JAL First Class Lounge at NRT

After a short walk, we re-cleared security...

... and went upstairs to the JAL First Class Lounge.

Meh. A pretty tired lounge in need of a make-over.

Although a cool sake and sushi bar.

But a business class type selection of self-serve food.

Our 77W next door at Gate 61.

Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

JAL First Class Sky Suites to LAX

At around T-40, we headed over to nearby Gate 61, a short two minute walk from the First Class and Sakura Lounges.

Tokyo Narita NRT - Los Angeles LAX
Japan Airlines JL 62
777-300ER
5:50P-11:30A (sked)
6:10P-11:20A (actual)
September 24, 2014
First Class
Departed 5/8
Seats 2DG

A seemingly chaotic boarding process as boarding was called a couple of times before the real deal. I had identified ourselves as F pax, so we were boarded right after four wheelchairs. A good sign is First Class pax boarding thru 1L with every one else thru 2L. At least on paper. Alas, there was no one to police the the jet bridge entrances, so at least 30-40 pax boarded thru 1L and the F cabin. Even when it was obvious, no one stopped it. Not a good start.

Nice 1-2-1 cabin. The calm before J and Y pax stormed 1L.

Comfy seat and nice big armrests.

A reasonable amount of personal storage space. But the vanity mirror is useless as it doesn't tilt. The only way to use it is if you kneel on the floor. LOL.

Strange open door to the J cabin. It was closed after take-off when the curtains were drawn.

AC power although not enough juice to consistently handle my new MacBook Pro.

Yay, WiFi on board today. It worked pretty well and at only $18 was a bargain.

But just a little tacky to have this hanging at the front of the F cabin.

With no one else on the GK side, I moved over the 2K for taxi and take-off.

And yet another airline that can't figure out what to do with the space between the seat and the wall.

A United RJ at Narita?

No, just a domestic 738 for NRT-Asia connections. Yeah, I'm sure that'll go over well.

After take off, hot towel service.

Table cloth and champagne.

And finally a menu...

Quite possibly the dumbest name for inflight service. BEDD? As in Bed, Dining, Delicious and Dream. Huh? But wouldn't that be BDDD? Perhaps it sounds better in Japanese.

Interesting looking menu with some nice options. I did the Japanese menu on NH last year, but there are just too many weird things on this one for my Western palate.

And the wine list. Not bad. Some interesting choices. Clearly better than AA and UA, even LH, LX and SQ although none of the latter have great wine lists after you get past the champagne.

Excellent amuse bouche.

Showtime.

I started with another Amuse Bouche of Onion Purée with Deep-fried Onion, Fried Rice Powder Chips (beet, squid ink and chrysanthemum) and a mini quiche with Duck Raw Ham, Mac nut and Gorgonzola. Very good.

Mrs. SFO enjoyed the Potato & Celeriac Purée with Crabmeat and Japanese ginger salad with Caviar.

My Porcini velouté with Scallop and Iberico Cherizo was delicious.

For her main, Mrs. SFO had the Roasted Lobster with Spice Crust, Saffron Risotto & Short-neck Clam jus. The only Lobster loaded today!?!? Indeed, and our FA was aghast when I ordered the Lobster as well. She didn't come out and say it right away but asked "Are you sure you wouldn't like the delicious guinea fowl?" Ugh, no thank you. I'd like the lobster. "Oh, so very sorry, but there was only one lobster today". Really? "Yes, I am so sorry". OK, I'll have the Wagyu beef, please.

I switched from the Puligny to the Chambolle-Musigny just as a little turbulence set it.

Oh yeah. Yes dear, we're going to be fine. It will end soon.

The Poelée of Wagyu Beef was sensational, with Chinese Cabbage wrapped Truffle and Burdock Petit Ragout. Perfectly medium rare, as I requested. Wow, cooked to order.

For dessert, the yummy Chocolate & Red Fruit Compote with Banana Ice Cream.

After dinner, our FAs handed out the amenity kit. Meh.

With no one next door, I asked our FA to make up 2K for me.

This was one of the most comfortable beds in the sky, other than the real bed on the LH 744. Indeed, I slept solidly for more than 4 hours.

Although JAL could have done a better job keeping J light out of the F cabin.

About 90 minutes out, I had a snack of Japanese Udon noodles. Uh, don't think I'll order that one again. Oh well. Green tea was delicious though.

And back over to 2K for our descent into LAX.

We arrived early, bid a fond farewell to our wonderful cabin crew and headed to customs.

All in all, an excellent flight with a very attentive crew... although Mrs. SFO thought they were "bothering" her too much. Go figure.

Please visit my trip report at SFO777.com for more pics.

Next up: Welcome home! A CBP agent with an attitude, a missing F cabin and a real prize across the aisle, no doubt headed to the nearest pot store in DEN. Oy.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 2, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyr16
Another excellent trip report from SFO. Thank you for posting!!
Thank you flyr16.

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Yet another amazing trip report, SFO777! I visited China as a teenager but it hasn't been on my radar since. Between your report and tonight's episode of Anthony Bourdain, I sense a trip to Shanghai in my near future. I'm still drooling over those food pictures!
Thanks very much sfoactuary. Shanghai is great foodie city.

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Great report SFO777. Glad you made the Yuyuan Gardens - they're well worthwhile including on any Shanghai itinerary. And, unless you're a photoshop pro, they didn't seem to be too overcrowded either! Did you manage to check out the Ullens Center for Contemporary Art at the 798 District in Beijing? 798 is great, but really big at the same time - would be easy to spend a full day there.
sfoactuary - China is (very) well worthwhile... you should go for it!
Thanks makin'miles. There were a lot a people there. I just waited for a wave to pass before taking some of the pics.

Originally Posted by ozvirginuk
SFO777 your trip reports are just the BEST. I scan the forums in anticipation of reading your latest escapades. (while also trying to hide the screen from my hubby so he doesn't get too many ideas).
Another fabulous report so far. I'm keenly awaiting the NRT-LAX instalment as we'll be flying JL F next year from JFK-NRT as part of our honeymoon, so I'm soaking up all of the JL reports I can right now.
Interesting comments about the Peninsula in Shanghai. Very surprising, especially when the HKG property is so amazing. I love the Four Seasons in Shanghai, or the Langham at XinTianDi.. Both great properties. M on the Bund if my favourite restaurant.. Great food and great views. (and it's run by an Aussie!!)
Looking forward to the rest..
Cheers
Oz
Thank you very much ozvirginuk for your kind comments. I'm sure you'll love your JL First flight.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I'll be stuck on one of those recliners next week NRT-SIN. Not looking forward to it. It is their new SkySuite every day except the day I am flying. Majorly bummed. Looking forward to the F review though
Sorry to hear you got the one day without.

Originally Posted by sgh
As always a great trip report. Looking forward to Narita -LAX leg.Having flown JAL FC over a decade ago, I was greatly impressed by the size and general makeup of the FC lavatory, which IMHO would match that and exceed that of Bling Airlines ( other than the on board shower, which was just not offered by any carrier in the 1990s). Look forward to the next installment of your TR
Cheers!
Thanks sgh. Sorry I didn't take any lav pics on this one.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Very Nice report! I spent about 1/2 of my time in China now and have not incurred to me to do a trip report on China and Air China premium cabin. You have given me some ideas. Hope I can make it happen in this forum.
Thanks so much UA_Flyer. I would definitely fly both again, but JL is more polished and a better overall experience.

Originally Posted by farbster
Terrific report! Too bad you didn't have more time on this trip, but you can always go back again!! We took the maglev to the airport when we left Shanghai and that was quite an experience. We did have the luxury of having our guide send our luggage to the in the van and we went with the guide on the train and met up at PVG. Everyone should visit China and not worry about the smog. Such a great experience.
Thank you farbster. Agree on not worrying about the smog thing. I never gave it a second thought after we arrived.

Originally Posted by moondog
I actually prefer Hite and Cass to Asahi (to quote one of my Japanese restaurant owner friends, "a sushi beer, at best"). Tiger is okay when it's on (well maintained, and fresh) tap, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. I'm curious to hear which Beijing beer SFO777 had and liked. I'm going to cross Beijing Beer off the list because that stuff is even worse than Tsingtao in the big bottles. That leaves us with Yanjing. Though I'm not a fan, I can tolerate the 纯生. The same goes for Tsingtao as well; plus Tsingtao makes some much better beers (e.g. clear bottles with gold label, brown stubbies, and the stuff that they export).
LOL on the "sushi beer" comment. I'm embarrassed that I can't recall the name of the beer. Green bottle, very plain label. Our guide said they were planning on exporting it to the US and my first thought was... not with that label. Funny Tsingtao story from dinner tonight. Mrs. SFO said that she really liked Tsingtao... because "it tastes just like Bud Light"

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
"M" On the Bund is classic Shanghai dining.
My last meal there in 2012 was fabulous, as was the atmosphere and the vibe from the place. I'd easily return. ^
Indeed, great food and atmosphere! Even better on a dry, clear night and you can be outside on the terrace.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:40 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Nice report on JL F. The on-board food tends to be the best part of the experience -- though the "BEDD" branding sounds equally ridiculous in Japanese.

BTW, that "window" between the F cabin and the mini J cabin is ostensibly to allow the CA sitting at the L1 door to have a clear view of the mini J cabin for safety purposes. They do something similar on domestic flights.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Nice report on JL F. The on-board food tends to be the best part of the experience -- though the "BEDD" branding sounds equally ridiculous in Japanese.
I agree. JL-F catering ex-TYO can be really good... perhaps the only airline steaks that I could actually say I liked (as SFO777 noted, perfectly cooked). I like the beds too though.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Thank you SFO777 for yet another enjoyable Trip Report
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: DL&ANA
Bravo SFO777 for yet another great report!

One thing I've noticed and tried myself when flying ANA is to order one or two items from their "Light Dishes" or "a la carte" menu instead of a full Japanese or Western meal. The curry rice on JAL is very good (and they offer them at the lounge as well) even for someone with a Western palate. The FA will probably be confused at first, but do insist your choice and more than likey you will be happy with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.