Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Go Turkey on Jetstar, Turkish J/Y, Pegasus and Singapore J

Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Recently, me and my partner did our long trip for the year, a 10D/9N (excluding flights) trip to Turkey, visiting Izmir, Cappadocia and Istanbul. This trip was a combination of paid and redemption tickets, with our itinerary being SIN-KUL-IST-ADB(Izmir)-ASR(Kayseri)-IST-SIN on a combination of 6 flights on Jetstar, Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airlines and Singapore Airlines. The really tiring routing was due to very reasonable-priced one-way TK tickets from KUL compared to SIN. And the TK tickets also allowed 100% Krisflyer miles accrual on the economy fares, which further enhanced its attractiveness. This report would be an interesting one as it covers 2 airlines that I have never flown in, one of "Europe's Best Airline" as awarded by Skytrax, and the other of Turkey's biggest budget airline.

14 August 2014
Jetstar Asia
3K 669
Singapore (SIN) - Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
A320
9V-JSB
Economy Class

The first leg up to Izmir was expected to be the most tiring, due to 3 flights back-to-back, totalling more than 20 hours of flying and transits in 2 airports. First flight was a routine Jetstar hop up to Kuala Lumpur on a bargain fare to catch the TK flight. For some reasons, online check-in could not be done and we did counter check-in on the day of departure. We also bought luggage allowances for our long trip.

Changi Airport Terminal One was Qantas group land in the late afternoon.

Boarding pass and plane at the gate. One of the oldest planes in the 3K fleet, 9V-JSB, would be forming the short hop to KL. This flight is also code-shared with QF and EK. Perfect for QF connecting passengers to KUL.

Boarding the Jetstar "Valuair" aircraft.

Boarding in progress. The cabin is definitely seeing its age. Flight turned out to be rather full, but the middle seat between us remained empty.

Inflight mags.

Soon we pushed back and taxied to the runway for the expected 40min flight to KUL.

After waiting for a couple of planes to depart, we took off from Rwy20C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kg0v...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Ships anchored at the Singapore harbour.

We were in between clouds throughout most of the short flight, but it was still a rather smooth flight.

Cabin in-flight. A quick BOB snacks/drinks run was offered by the crew coming down the aisle with the menu card. Any orders were delivered directly from the galleys. However most passengers chose not to get anything for this very short flight except for a few drink orders and pre-purchased sandwiches (I think QF/EK code-shared pax were offered sandwiches and drinks but correct me if I am wrong).

Very soon, we were starting on our descend.

Here, we were overflying Subang Jaya prior to making a turn back towards KLIA. Spot Sunway Lagoon and Subang airport!

Landing in KLIA Rwy14L after 39min in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFW0R...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Parked at the gate at the satellite terminal of KLIA. It was a standard no-frills hop on Jetstar again.

Took the train to the main terminal building for immigration and luggage collection. Immigration was painless as there were no queues but luggage took a while to appear at the belts. After collection of luggage, we proceeded out and went to the departure terminal to check-in for the next flight on TK.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:48 am
Original Poster

We initially had slightly more than 4hrs between our flights and I expected the TK check-in counters to open only 3hrs before the flight departure time of 2315hrs. However, at about 1920hrs when we went up to the departure hall, we noticed that the TK check-in counters were already being prepared and there was already queue for check-in. At 1930hrs, which was 3h45m prior to departure, the check-in counters were opened for check-in. Really early! As I had performed online check-in 24hrs prior, we were able to bypass the normal economy queue and proceed to the bag-drop counter. 6 counters were opened for check-in. The check-in agent was able to tag our bags all the way to Izmir, even though our connecting domestic was bought on a separate TK ticket. According to the agent, the flight was overbooked in economy today, and also for quite a number of days before/after.

TK check-in counters at KLIA.

Flying Turkish Airlines today!

Passed departure immigration when I had arrived barely 30min ago and we proceeded to the Plaza Premium Lounge at the satellite terminal to await our flight. This lounge was also used by TK's Business Class passengers.

Boarding passes for the flights while we snacked in the lounge.

Some of the lounge food and snack offerings.

Ending with a nice cup of cappuccino.

14 August 2014
Turkish Airlines
TK 61
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Istanbul Ataturk (IST)
A340-300
TC-JII
Business Class

About 40min before departure, we proceeded to the gate for the flight. The holding gate was rather full and an additional security screening was done.

Flight was operated by an A340-300 aircraft TC-JII. Initially when I booked the flight, it was scheduled to be operated by an A330-300, but was swapped to the older A340 a couple of months later. Not that I minded as the A340 offers slightly more seat pitch in economy and it is now considered a rarity to fly on an A340.

Our boarding passes was scanned at the gate and instead of the familiar 'beep' sounds, our passes returned a 'buzz' rejected sound and we were shown to the desk beside. To our out-most surprise, the boarding agent took our boarding passes, tore them and immediately printed new ones and said "5D/E Business Class, enjoy!". Wow, we were both upgraded to Business Class! Totally unexpected as it was my first time flying TK and I had no status other than my lowly Krisflyer status. Plus, I don't think my tickets were at too high a fare-class. And it was my first ever upgrade in my life from Economy to Business Class! Thanks, Turkish Airlines! Probably we were the first few to check-in? Who knows... Apparently there were quite a few other upgraders as well.

Business Class boarding pass. Similar to Economy ones though.

After recovering from the 'shock', we boarded the aircraft through the front door and was welcomed by the male purser and directed to the correct aisle. The A340 was fitted with the older-generation sloping lie-flat seats (think similar to TG's older J seats). We were seated at the last row of the middle section. Lost my original window seat but who cares when you have gained a Business Class seat! Plus the entire flight would be in total darkness.

Business Class seats. A, ergonomic lumber cushion and a "Sky Illusion" sleeping kit (more on this later) was already on each seat. I stored the bulky sleeping kit in the overhead bins for later use.

Amenity kits, headphones and a pair of slippers were also pre-set at each seat. The Business cabin filled up and ended almost full.

Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

The Purser, 2 female crew and an onboard chef were in charge of Business Class service this evening. Upon boarding, an assortment of welcome drinks comprising of water and various juices was offered. I chose the fresh raspberry juice, which came with a "welcome" swizzle stick. Nice first impression of the famed TK catering service! Hot towels, magazines and newspapers were also offered.

Inflight magazines, which were packed in a clear file. The magazines contained a business mag, TK's inflight mag "Skylife" and a Business-class dedicated "Skylife Business".

Noise-cancelling headphones.

Passengers were boarded rather efficiently and we pushed back even before the scheduled departure time. Safety video was played.

Took off from Rwy14R into the darkness. I filmed the takeoff from the front camera view function on the IFE. I was a really long takeoff roll and the slow climb of the A340 could really be felt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAIr...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Shortly after takeoff, cabin lights were brought back on. IFE was started while I was still enjoying the huge legroom that the seat offered. This was gonna be a comfortable long-haul flight!

The amenity kit came in a red-coloured reusable tablet holder.

Amenities laid out: Eyeshades, socks, toothbrush set, comb, shoehorn, Crabtree & Evelyn hand-cream and lipbalm. Not the best amenity kit out there but one of the better ones.

Wines and drinks menus were also distributed. A bar was also set up at the front of the cabin, where crew would use go to prepare drinks.

Wine list. I did not try the wines or champagnes so could not comment on them.

Beverages offered.

Menu selection for the supper service. Really hard to make up our minds on the choices when the onboard chef came to take our orders for starters and mains.

And the breakfast selection menu card, which we would fill up and collected by the chef before bedtime. Pens were also distributed for us to fill up the cards.

Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Very lucky break on the upgrade, looking forward to the rest of the report.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:38 am
Original Poster

After takeoff, orders were taken for post-takeoff drinks. I had a very refreshing homemade lemonade while my partner went for a red wine. Can't remember which red wine it was but it tasted rather sweet. Linens were also laid out on the tray tables in preparation for supper service.

The onboard chef first came around distributing the canapes. For the canapes, appetisers, soups and main courses, the crew delivered the trays and courses individually from the galleys. No trolleys were used for these courses, with the trolleys only making 'grand entrances' later on during the meal service. Even though it made for a more personal service, it seemed rather haphazard as the crew needed to keep walking up and down the aisles to collect and deliver the courses in a rushed manner, especially for a full flight like this. Service wise, the TK crew delivered standard European airline service, generally casual and efficient but not exceptionally polished and proactive like the Asian carriers. No address by names nor formal pleasantries. But at least they did attend and respond to requests and get the job done. No complaints from me since it was really a busy full flight and I was an 'upgrader'.

Onboard chef serving canapes to passengers.

Canapes consisted on a fried king prawn, grilled meatball and an asparagus wrap. It was all pretty delicious and beautifully presented!

After canapes were cleared, meal trays were brought out and delivered individually from the galleys. As it was a Supper service, meals were served on trays instead of crew individually setting up tables. The tray consisted of some starters as well as the appetiser. Also visible was the new TK inflight dining concept, Candlelight Dinner. On each tray was an electronic flickering candlelight to simulate a candlelight dinner ambience.

"Candle" and really cute salt and pepper shakers.

Tabbouleh, Red peppers stuffed with cheese and Shepherd's salad. Really interesting mini-starters and you can choose to have all.

I chose the Potpourri of Turkish Mezzem which was a combination of eggplant, chicken breast and cheese. Already, the deluge of starters was pretty filling. And according to the chef, if it were to be a lunch/dinner service, he would have rolled out an appetizer cart offering 12(!!) choices of starters! Craziness!!

My partner had the King prawns starter choice, which was generous and tasty as well.

After starter plates were cleared, Creamy Zucchini cheese soup with olive-spread crouton were again delivered by hand. The soup was excellent! TK must be one of the very few airlines serving soup in Business Class. Bread was also offered but we declined as we were still rather full from the food in the lounge and the assortment of starters.

After the soup course, mains were again delivered individually. By this time, I really pitied the crew who were walking up and down the aisles non-stop to clear and deliver the different courses. With the high quality of starters and soups, the main courses caused a bit of a let down.

I had the Salmon Au Pistou, which came a bit on the dry side. Portion was also not too big but we were already stuffed by then so no worries.

My partner had the lamb chops, which though flavourful, was also on the dry side. However, both main courses scored in the presentation aspect.

Top-ups of wines/water was not too proactive by the crew unless requested. However, with the constant walking up and down clearing and delivering of courses to the full cabin, I don't think the crew even had time to offer wines/water top-ups, not helped by the fact that the bar is at the front of the cabin and the main galley is at the rear.

After we were done with our main courses, our meal trays were collected away. This was when trolleys finally made its appearance. One of the TK's dining concept was the range of desserts offered, well-suited for the sweet tooth. An elaborately prepared dessert, cheese and fruit trolley was rolled out into the cabin to offer a huge range of dessert choices. Dessert choices were then plated right in front of you and you could have a choice of everything if you desired! Really overwhelming!

Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Being so full after the non-stop dining, I just opted for the Chocolate ice-cream and crepe.

But I still could not resist having the really sinful and beautifully presented tiramisu as well! However I skipped the cut fruits and cheeses.

Lastly, another elaborately set-up coffee/tea trolley with petit desserts was rolled out, offering a wide range of hot beverages. The appropriate drinkwares were also accompanying the beverages, such as green tea pot if ordering green tea, traditional Turkish tea cups for Turkish tea etc. Petit desserts were offered as accompaniments for coffee/tea.

I just settled for a chamomile tea for a restful night ahead.

Finally, more than 2hrs after takeoff, the very elaborate supper service was wrapped up and cabin lights were dimmed. Each passenger was also given a bottle of water for the night.

Visited the lavatory, where there are not many amenities other than lemon-scented soap, moisturiser and wet wipes.

Time for bed. Retrieved the "Sky Illusion" sleeping kit from the overhead bins.

According to the TK website,

“Sky Illusion” sleeping collection is the latest innovation developed by Turkish Airlines to enable its passengers to enjoy the best Turkish hospitality within the concept of privileged travel.

"Sky Illusion" sleeping set has been designed in the successful cooperation with Turkish Airlines and Zorlu Textiles Group to offer comfort just as in the home environment to the passengers of Turkish Airlines, and to ensure that the passengers will enjoy a perfect sleeping experience.

“Sky Illusion Sleeping Collection”, produced specially for the Business Class flights of Turkish Airlines under the brand of Ta Wonderfly, comes into prominence with its feature of being an inviter of a perfect and pleasant sleeping, for all extended range flights.

The sleeping set, which has been designed as a supplementary element with the intent of making the unique travel experience offered to the passengers by Turkish Airlines perfect in every sense, offers a special sleeping on the clouds.

Each detail has been meticulously thought out in the collection designed by being inspired from Turkish hospitality, and special fabrics reminding softness of the clouds have been used.

The sleeping set, prepared considering all details with the purpose of offering thorough comfort to the passengers by using qualified fabrics, provides added value to the flight comfort.

The collection is presented in the packages arranged as "Boha –bundle-", is used as a hospitality indicator in the Turkish society for centuries as well as being an unalterable element of Turkish culture. ‘Boha’ consists of ‘Sleeping Pad’, designed in sizes fully adaptable to the seat; ‘Quilt’, covering the body with its soft satin fabric; ‘Sleeping Pillow’, making the head and neck comfortable with its size of standard sleeping pillow during the extended range flights; ‘Waist Pillow’, backing the waist completely while sitting on the seat and taking shape based on the waist ergonomics thanks to its visco filling while leaning; and ‘Slipper’, ensuring comfort of feet with its 100% cotton and special quilted fabric. The contents of the set, which are produced by combining the Aloe Vera extracts known for its relaxing effects and the soft fabrics, not only offer a comfortable sleeping but also become prominent thanks to its ergonomic features. Here are some of its features: the sheets available in the collection have been produced with holders in order not to slip from the leather seats, and the quilts have been designed in a manner to maintain body temperature.

"Sky Illusion" is the latest innovation developed by Turkish Airlines in order to ensure customer satisfaction, the primary mission of Turkish Airlines. The sleeping set, that the passengers will deem as indispensable pleasure in all extended range flights in a short span of time, will be presented first in the Boston flight that will be newly launched on May 12th

This new sleeping kit was newly launched starting from May this year.

Laying out the sleeping kit on the angled lie-flat bed. The main advantage of the kit was having the mattress cover to even out the kinks in the seat, and the really huge and fluffy pillow! Managed to get a few hours of on/off sleep on the bed.

Woke up when we were somewhere over Afghanistan, with about 3hrs of flight to go.

Some Turkish snacks (dried apricots, sultanas and figs) and whole fruits were laid out at the bar area. I grabbed a few of the dried fruits.

Time to play around with TK's Planet IFE system.

Apart from a few newer releases, the rest of the selection was not too enticing. Contents definitely could not match up to the likes of EK, SQ, CX, QF etc.

Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

I settled for the comedy "Identity Thief".

Slightly less than 2hrs before arrival, lights were switched on for the breakfast service to commence. Hot towels and freshly squeezed orange juice were offered.

Breakfast trays were distributed according to what you have ordered earlier. Again, no carts were used and trays were brought out individually from the galley. I had chosen the muesli for starter.

Fresh fruit platter was already on the tray, and warm croissants were also offered, along with strawberry jam and honey, and a warm cup of coffee.

After the fruit platter was cleared, my ordered Scrambled eggs with toast was delivered. This tasted alright, not the best inflight breakfast I had.

After breakfast was cleared and another hot towel offered, lights were dimmed again for us to rest till landing. Finished my movie and scrolled around the IFE again. There was an info page on TK's fleet, here showing the facts of the A340-300.

Soon we were descending into Istanbul in the darkness. Cabin was cleared and we were approaching Istanbul.

Landing on Istanbul Ataturk Rwy05. Braking was harsh as we landed on the shorter 2.5km (short for a widebody) runway. We actually arrived more than an hour ahead of schedule at 0420am when the scheduled arrival time is 0535am! Flight time was only slightly more than 10hrs. However we had a rather long taxi to the remote stand where we parked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBal...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

My seat for the last 10hrs of flight.

Seats across the aisle.

Disembarked using Door 2 just behind us and Business Class pax had a dedicated bus to ferry us to the terminal.

Our aircraft is names 'Mersin'.

Short bus ride to the terminal building, and immigration was really fast due to our very early arrival, avoiding the rest of the morning peak flights. Our bags would be transferred to the Izmir bound flight, so no bags collection needed.

Turkish Airlines Business Class has really shown its effort to achieve the "Best European Airline" and "Best Catering" status through its inflight offerings. Catering wise, there is no doubt that TK Business is in a class of its own, probably only matched by a couple of ME carriers. However service wise, the crew, though mostly casual and efficient, lacked pro-activeness, warmth and positive body language when interacting with passengers, and definitely needed some polishing to attain World-Class carrier standards. With TK rapidly expanding these few years, this would be a challenge they would need to meet.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Great photos and details of the meal services. You had a great experience on a Y ticket!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:51 am

Very envious of your luck!

Great service on TK too.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Having landed very early in Istanbul, we avoided the peak early morning arrival wave of flights which landed after us. Already, the arrival hall was rather busy with greeters at this hour.

Took a short walk over to the connecting domestic terminal to catch our next flight to Izmir. Expecting a very deserted terminal prior to 6am in the morning, what greeted us was a very bustling and crowded terminal instead! Check-in counters were packed and security lines were long! Domestic flights starts really early in Istanbul!

In order to escape the hustle and bustle, we cleared security and proceeded to the Primeclass Lounge, compliments of our Priority Pass cards. This is just a small and quiet lounge, offering not much facilities except food, beverages and some sofa seats. Well, being a domestic terminal, guess most people would not stay too long in the lounge.

Some of the breakfast offerings in the lounge. The selection was enough to fill our stomachs while waiting for our 8am departure.

There was also access to an open-air terrace where some plane-spotting could be done. However, being a domestic terminal, most of the planes were just TK, TK and more TK.

Left the lounge at about 0715am when the FIDS was showing "Go to Gate" for our flight. At this time, the terminal had quietened down very significantly.

How many TK aircraft did u see? I counted 19 just in this shot alone.

Our flight was scheduled to be on an A340 again, though I was secretly hoping that we would be swapped onto a newer A330 or 77W so that I could have a chance to experience TK's newest economy product. On the other hand, I was also expecting that there was a probability we could get the exact same aircraft that we flew on into Istanbul just 3hrs ago. As there were no gates for widebodies at the domestic terminal, our flight naturally boarded from a bus gate on the 1st level. Judging from the crowd at the gate, the flight seemed to be rather full.

Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Soon boarding started and we got on the bus for the ride to the plane. No upgrade this time round haha. Enjoyed a tour of the very busy IST tarmac while on the ride to our aircraft.

15 August 2014
Turkish Airlines
TK 2312
Istanbul Ataturk (IST) - Izmir (ADB)
A340-300
TC-JII
Economy Class

As luck would have it, our bus pulled up to the exact same aircraft that we disembarked from barely 3hrs ago! Here we were, flying on "Mersin" again, but at the back of the bus this time round.

Door 2 and 4 were used for boarding and thus being seated at the aft section, we decided to board from the rear instead. Photo galore time as nobody seemed to mind the camera snapping session, not only by me but other passengers as well.

Up close and personal to the "hair-dryers".

Boarding from the rear.

The engine seemed really puny for the huge aircraft!

Hiyah fellow Singaporean! SQ birdie just arrived and taxiing to the remote bay as I was boarding.

Was welcomed aboard by 2 rather cheerful female crew at the door and proceeded to out seats at 28A/B. We had boarded via the first bus and so the cabin still remained rather empty while awaiting more buses.

Middle row across.

Seat pitch was perfectly sufficient for this very short flight and also for a long-haul as well. However there is a IFE box at the A seats taking up half the legroom space. Pillows were available in the overhead bins and flight map was switched on.

Contents in the seat pocket.

At the gate while waiting for more buses and pax to arrive.

Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

The cabin gradually filled up when more buses arrived from the terminal. However, the last bus only arrived slightly after our STD of 0800hrs, probably due to some late international connecting passengers. Doors were closed after the last passenger boarded and we commenced our pushback with the safety video played. By this time, we were already about 15min late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gkuj...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Flight time was announced to be a short 40min. Started taxi to the runway, only to stop and hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7K7...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Captain came on and announced that due to the heavy morning traffic, we were currently number 12(!!!) for takeoff and to expect a wait of about 25min. I seriously wonder how can Ataturk handle the continuously increasing flights that were being planned. Ahead of us, a long queue of planes were queuing for departure.

Forward camera was switched on, with another TK plane taxiing right in front of us.

Gradually nearing the runway after a long wait.

And finally we took off from Rwy35L for the short hop bound for Izmir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEsS...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Rolling on the runway.

Climbing out of IST and making a turn back towards Izmir.

Up to our cruising altitude of about 25,000ft.

Seatbelt signs were turned off (finally, as on my previous flight, the seatbelt signs were kept on for the entire long-haul flights even with minimal/no turbulence) and TK started to show its prowess in inflight catering for such a short flight (flight time almost identical to a SIN-KUL flight) on a widebody plane. Carts were pushed out and crew started serving a breakfast snack box from the rear and front of the economy cabins.

We were handed a "Gourmet Entertainment" Do&Co picnic box each. It really was "entertaining" watching the crew serving the entire A340 load on such a short flight and yet did not seemed rushed.

Contents of the meal included a starter consisting of cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and olives.

Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Accompanied by a white cheese sandwich. The sandwich might be an acquired taste for folks who are not fans of cheese, but we are in Turkey and everyone loves cheese here!

Ending with a tub of delicious strawberry yoghurt.

Both hot and cold beverages were offered as well. For the cold beverages available in economy on this short flight, TK offered freshly-squeezed orange juice (yes, freshly squeezed with pulp and all in Economy class!!), sour cherry juice, apple juice, homemade lemonade, Aryan (a Turkish yoghurt drink) and water. Super impressive and I was totally blown away by the offerings on this short sector!! I chose a freshly-squeezed orange juice (SQ would only have this in Business Class on breakfast flights) and a sour cherry juice.

Rushing to complete the meal service, which the TK crew managed to do so effortlessly. Planet IFE was not turned on, but flight-map and camera views were available. More than sufficient for this flight.

Very soon, we were already approaching and descending into Izmir. Cabin was rapidly cleared for arrival.

Short video of the descent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REK8o...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Making a steep turn back towards the runway.

Flaps out.

Runway in sight!

On finals.

And landing on Izmir Rwy34R at about 0920am, 20min late. Flight time was just a short 43min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHai...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Following the yellow line to the gate at the newly opened Domestic Terminal.

Parked at the gate.

Disembarking. After more than 20 hours, finally we had reached our first destination for this trip!

We were parked right at the last gate of the Domestic Terminal. Bye, 'Mersin'. Nice to have flown Business and Economy Class with you!

I was totally overwhelmed by TK on this very short flight! TK has performed impressively in catering a proper snack on such a short sector, with a full range of beverages on offer (freshly-squeezed orange juice in Economy? Only on Turkish Airlines!), and managed to serve the A340 load effortlessly. Fantastic inflight service! Hence, sometimes I wonder why is it that SQ/MI, being premium carriers, could not offer something more decent on their SIN-KUL sector other than coffee/tea/juice-of-the-day. TK's Economy Class catering on this similar flight length is even way better than what SQ/MI offers in Business Class on the SIN-KUL route!

Earlier as mentioned, our luggage was checked through all the way from KUL to Izmir. TK has this facility where for some ports in Turkey with customs facilities, pax are able to check-through their baggage right up to the final destination and only undergoing customs screening at the last destination. This was the case for us and many other connecting passengers as well, but we needed to proceed to the International terminal baggage claim to get our bags and go through customs clearance there (immigration already done in Istanbul earlier). Domestic pax could get their bags at the current domestic terminal. TK ground staff were also available to guide passengers to the correct baggage claim areas.

It was a rather long walk from the last gate of the Domestic Terminal, through the entire building, across a linkway and into the International terminal baggage claim. The newly opened domestic terminal looked beautiful, a far contrast from the gloomy looking International terminal building.

After getting our bags (it was guess work which belt our bags would arrive on as their were no information regarding our flight at the International terminal, but there were no other intl arriving flights so all pax just claimed from the only moving baggage belt) and clearing customs, we proceeded out to take the Airport HAVAS Bus to the city, where our booked hotel, newly opened Renaissance Izmir Hotel, was just conveniently located opposite the bus-stop and right smack in the middle of town and within walking distance to all sights and dining places in Izmir town center.

It was a wonderful hotel, offering great service with clean, comfortable and large rooms at very affordable rates (think Bangkok hotel rates or cheaper). We had a very relaxing stay here! In fact, it is the best hotel of our trip!

Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Izmir was used as a base for our day trips to Pammukale and Ephasus. However, we also spent some time exploring Izmir. Unlike other parts of Turkey, Izmir is more modern and orderly, with a Californian relaxed feel.

Along the promenade.

Alcansak

Konak Square Clock Tower, symbol of Izmir.

A small mosque in Konak Square

Izmir City Center

Visit to the market and bazaar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.