Search

An escape from British summer - BA Club Europe to Malta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Good read, you have inspired me.
Good to hear flights well supported, too.
Thanks Skipcool3 - look forward to yours!

Originally Posted by BA5E
Enjoyed the last part of your trip, and it seems as though you were sad to leave, to be honest all those lovely photos you took would make one wish they did not have to leave. Glad you had a great relaxing holiday, and shared it with us. You were obviously greeted well into ABZ with rain a bit of a let down.^
Cheers BA5E and thanks for following all the way through! It wouldn't be Aberdeen if there wasn't some rain somewhere.....!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:43 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed your report - thanks.

I've never been to Malta nor has it been on my radar as a place to go. It seems to have got bad press over the years as a bit of a letdown for holidaymakers. Your report has changed my mind so I think the Maltese Tourism Board owe you a penny (or pint) or two!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Great finish on a TR I've been enjoying from the start. Malta seems to have advanced on the virtual 'to-go'-list.

Memo to self: Peppino's is mandatory
(Also a fan of Fawlty Towers )
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:08 am

Great report, thanks for sharing.

The pics are great, it shows it to be a really nice place. One for the ever growing list I'd say.

Funny writing style too, I love the fact that Scots write 'wee' as well as say it

Now heading off to read the other TR you shamelessly plugged.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Thoroughly enjoyed your report - thanks.

I've never been to Malta nor has it been on my radar as a place to go. It seems to have got bad press over the years as a bit of a letdown for holidaymakers. Your report has changed my mind so I think the Maltese Tourism Board owe you a penny (or pint) or two!
Cheers CatchThePigeon. Hope you manage to get a trip to Malta sorted!

Originally Posted by onobond
Great finish on a TR I've been enjoying from the start. Malta seems to have advanced on the virtual 'to-go'-list.

Memo to self: Peppino's is mandatory
(Also a fan of Fawlty Towers )
Thanks for following all the way through onobond - glad you enjoyed!

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
Great report, thanks for sharing.

The pics are great, it shows it to be a really nice place. One for the ever growing list I'd say.

Funny writing style too, I love the fact that Scots write 'wee' as well as say it

Now heading off to read the other TR you shamelessly plugged.
Hey ellielovesem - what's a TR if you can't plug your previous ones!? Us Scots are funny with our use of "wee". If people don't know what it means, they may have thought that my TR was very strange indeed!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:50 am

Re 'wee', perhaps you need to add some kind of explanation in your opening statement

Also meant say how much I laughed at this,

Originally Posted by stu1985
Have to share this now.

Guy in 1E walks in late with massive case. Obviously no room in front lockers.

CSD: "Tell you what I'll do. I'll put it in the glory hole here" (i.e. Crew locker)

LOL
I wonder how many in earshot actually got the joke
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
Re 'wee', perhaps you need to add some kind of explanation in your opening statement

Also meant say how much I laughed at this,

I wonder how many in earshot actually got the joke
Ha - well the guy next to me in 1B did - he nearly choked on his coke!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Awesome trip report!!!

Hey Stu,
Thanks so much for providing such a detailed, enjoyable trip report, oh and loved your humour mate! Made a great Saturday night read with my bottle of red lol! Was descriptive and loved the detailed pictures, made me laugh so much esp your shirtless selfie to prove you were there!!!, Its ok, we believe you!!! but hey good manly chest mate, you look well chilled out in the Mediterranean sun!
Have to say Malta is a destination I've never considered but after reading that I thought goinna give it a go. As a young single bloke myself it seems awesome destination for a bit of chill out time, the small island feel appeals.

Ive just gone and booked myself a BA Club Europe ticket for only £248 return!!!! could not believe it, J class so cheap!!!!
Intercontinental looks lovely, I used to be plat but now just Gold, though have given Hilton my loyalty over the last year which has afforded me Diamond status which offers much better perks than I got with IHG so bit of a Hilton boy these days! Hence im goinna book the Malta Hilton which looks equally awesome though may wait till the end of the year when they kick off the usual sale.
Im looking for a bit of pool time and a bit of sightseeing, though don't want the hassle of a hire car, is public transport easy to use?
Do BA have a lounge at Luqa airport or do they contract the air malta lounge?
Thanks again Stu for a genuinely great trip report,
Regards,
Gareth
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Flyingboy200 - BA use the La Valette lounge at Luqa airport, the checkin desk will give you an entry voucher which also serves to allow the use of the fast track security line.

I stayed at the Hilton over the summer and had a fab time - multiple pools and plenty of restaurants in hotel or nearby outside.

Last edited by Physci; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:28 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingboy200
Hey Stu,
Thanks so much for providing such a detailed, enjoyable trip report, oh and loved your humour mate! Made a great Saturday night read with my bottle of red lol! Was descriptive and loved the detailed pictures, made me laugh so much esp your shirtless selfie to prove you were there!!!, Its ok, we believe you!!! but hey good manly chest mate, you look well chilled out in the Mediterranean sun!
Have to say Malta is a destination I've never considered but after reading that I thought goinna give it a go. As a young single bloke myself it seems awesome destination for a bit of chill out time, the small island feel appeals.

Ive just gone and booked myself a BA Club Europe ticket for only £248 return!!!! could not believe it, J class so cheap!!!!
Intercontinental looks lovely, I used to be plat but now just Gold, though have given Hilton my loyalty over the last year which has afforded me Diamond status which offers much better perks than I got with IHG so bit of a Hilton boy these days! Hence im goinna book the Malta Hilton which looks equally awesome though may wait till the end of the year when they kick off the usual sale.
Im looking for a bit of pool time and a bit of sightseeing, though don't want the hassle of a hire car, is public transport easy to use?
Do BA have a lounge at Luqa airport or do they contract the air malta lounge?
Thanks again Stu for a genuinely great trip report,
Regards,
Gareth
Hi Flyingboy200 - welcome to FT and thanks for using your first post on my TR!

Good for you on booking your trip to Malta - when are you going? I am sure you will enjoy it. The public transport is very easy to use. It doesn't always run on time but it is cheap and will take you where you need to do.

As Physci said, the La Vallette Lounge is a nice place to spend a few hours before the flight - small selection of nibbles, some pre-packed sandwiches and decent drinks selection.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OK, I loved the TR. Rich in images of something that is so historic that the 'concerete jungle' comment earlier is just risible.

We love Malta, my wife lived and worked there for a couple of years, and we're always drawn back. It has its downsides, but it is a proud and independent Nation with its own character. And the local wine has improved by 12,537% over the last 4 decades since I first visited!!

I woukd say, to those who like the security of the big chain hotels, that there are even more treats hidden away ... But that's Malta - a surprise around every corner, if you have the eyes to see and the brain to recognise!

Oh, I see my July Malta TR is linked in my signature!!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by T8191
to those who like the security of the big chain hotels, that there are even more treats hidden away ... But that's Malta - a surprise around every corner, if you have the eyes to see and the brain to recognise!
We do the Xara at least once a year.
We had it all to ourselves 10 years ago for our wedding reception.
If only other Relais & Chateaux were as reliable.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:21 pm

Great report! Having moved from London to Malta in January this year (company re-location) it's enjoyable to read about the island from a newbie's point of view.

The Brits on here will know what I mean when I say it's a bit of a "Marmite" island. In terms of living here, life couldn't be easier. Everyone speaks English, they drive on the left, most shops sell all of the home comforts, it has cinemas, bars, restaurants, historic sights, etc. Not to mention we get a 3 bedroom home on the seafront for less money than a studio apartment in London!

However, it is undeniably small and so it doesn't take long to feel like you've explored every corner of the island. There is a very distinct lack of beaches compared to the rest of the Med and the St Julians/Sliema area in general is over-developed and has awful traffic/parking problems. They could really do with banning cars and forcing everyone to use the park and ride system (which does exist but practically no-one has heard of it).

Our best antidote to this of course is a quick trip over to Gozo - all the best parts of Malta but with more open space, better beaches, and much fewer people.

This week the weather has finally cooled down to approx 23C - up until Wednesday it's been consistently 28-29C since the start of September.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Our best antidote to this of course is a quick trip over to Gozo - all the best parts of Malta but with more open space, better beaches, and much fewer people.
That's why I live in Qala, Gozo.

Come and share a Cisk, the next time you're over.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Enjoyed your report, thanks! Great pictures. Brings back some good memories. I was in Malta 3 years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.