Wiki Posts
Search

An escape from British summer - BA Club Europe to Malta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Have to share this now.

Guy in 1E walks in late with massive case. Obviously no room in front lockers.

CSD: "Tell you what I'll do. I'll put it in the glory hole here" (i.e. Crew locker)

LOL
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:52 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
That looks amazing! Where did you go from & did you have to book? We love going out on the sea so this trip really appeals & is something we didn't realise could be done. Any info you can give would be great ^
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Great TR stu1985 - spent a week in Malta earlier in August (somehow the 160 BA Tier Points seemed too good to ignore). Stayed at the Hilton in St Julien. Definitively a place for a return visit.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LadyB
That looks amazing! Where did you go from & did you have to book? We love going out on the sea so this trip really appeals & is something we didn't realise could be done. Any info you can give would be great ^
You'd want to get the bus from the San Giljan bus stop on Triq Gort and get the 222 towards Cirkewwa. It's the very last stop you want to get off at. Once you get off the bus, there will be people there waiting to give you leaflets about the trip to Comino. I walked over past the ferry terminal to a small hut beside the sea front and got a ticket for €10. Perhaps check with the concierge at your hotel when you are planning to go - I think it is just seasonal trips that they do!

Edit - should have said that the bus ride takes about an hour and 10 minutes. Also, the San Giljan stop is normally quite busy. What I did was walk down the hill to St Julian's Bay and got on a few steps early - the bus was much quieter there and I had no problem getting a seat. If I had been at San Giljan stop, there would have been no chance of a seat!

Originally Posted by Physci
Great TR stu1985 - spent a week in Malta earlier in August (somehow the 160 BA Tier Points seemed too good to ignore). Stayed at the Hilton in St Julien. Definitively a place for a return visit.
Yes, the TPs were a nice addition at the end! Thanks for reading Physci!

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 6, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by stu1985
Have to share this now.

Guy in 1E walks in late with massive case. Obviously no room in front lockers.

CSD: "Tell you what I'll do. I'll put it in the glory hole here" (i.e. Crew locker)

LOL
LOL that made me laugh louder than it should do. Looks like you had an amazing time. I needed 130 TP to get my Silver back after confusing membership date and card expiry date and I contemplated going to Malta or Marrakesh, was checking out flights for both destinations, decided on Malta and the flight had rocketed so it is Marrakesh for me though. Nice to see it scheduled this point on a 737 (god bless them).
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

I always thought of Malta as a quaint historical, colorful place, but from the many photos I have seen it looks more like an ugly brown concrete jungle.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I always thought of Malta as a quaint historical, colorful place, but from the many photos I have seen it looks more like an ugly brown concrete jungle.
That impression is definitively wrong. Sure, some parts are ugly but over all it`s a nice place with rich history
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
That impression is definitively wrong. Sure, some parts are ugly but over all it`s a nice place with rich history
I agree. A country with a wonderful history. Certainly not an ugly brown concrete jungle. I didn't think that my pictures gave off that impression. If they did, I haven't done Malta justice.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC & others
I agree. A country with a wonderful history. Certainly not an ugly brown concrete jungle. I didn't think that my pictures gave off that impression. If they did, I haven't done Malta justice.
Your pictures are great and you've done a superb job of promoting Malta's tourism! A great report and many thanks for enlightening us all about this undiscovered (by me) jewel in the Med. ^
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by gnarly
I was also at the Intercontinental last night. What a disaster. The beach club didn't allow us to enter at 15:55, as they were closing at 16:00 to arrange for a private function. (we still flustered their plans by insisting on them letting us have beds and towels and to set us up at the edge of their area.)

Then we went from a quick sleep only to be woken by hammering and drilling for an hour, despite the fact that the hotel claim to have had no work going on. It returned this morning on the 9th floor, I think.

We also had a power cut (fuse) and an exploding iron (linked).
Update. I filled in the standard post-stay survey, in which I said that I had an "ok" stay, but wouldn't stay again. I've received some follow-up from guest relations and been offered 7000 points in compensation. Not bad considering that I didn't actually complain.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Old Coaster
Your pictures are great and you've done a superb job of promoting Malta's tourism! A great report and many thanks for enlightening us all about this undiscovered (by me) jewel in the Med. ^
^

Originally Posted by gnarly
Update. I filled in the standard post-stay survey, in which I said that I had an "ok" stay, but wouldn't stay again. I've received some follow-up from guest relations and been offered 7000 points in compensation. Not bad considering that I didn't actually complain.
Not a bad result!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
^

Not a bad result!
Although I note that my welcome gift points haven't posted yet.
They have been informed.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

After getting the bus back to the hotel, it was near enough 6pm so I hit the lounge for the last evening of nibbles and drinks. After that, I decided that I would hop on the bus back to Valletta and see if I could get a few pics of the harbour at night. I was glad that I did as it looked really nice.

I had booked a table at Paranga (the beach front restaurant for 10.15pm). I got back to the hotel around 9.30pm, had a pint at Waterbiscuit and wandered down to the sea front. The meal was, again, excellent. I had a nice fish soup to start with along with tuna for main course. Washed down with some nice local white wine.

And that was the end of my last evening in Malta. I was sad that my holiday was coming to and end. I still had most of the day after to look forward to and, after having had a busy few days, I decided that I was just going to chill and enjoy the last bit of sunshine I think I will se this year!

As an Ambassador member at the IC, I automatically get a late check out until 4pm. I checked out shortly after this after a last minute dash getting everything thrown into the case (it always seems to fit better on the way out than the way back!). After breakfast in the morning, I set up by the pool for the day. I managed to finish a book which had kept entertained throughout the week and top up the tan. You should see the white bits

I headed up to the lounge to check out and asked if I could sit for a few hours until I was going to leave. This was no problem. I sat for a while chilling out and headed downstairs at around 6pm where I had a few pints in Waterbiscuit (served by the wonderful girl who had been there all week). The hotel had booked me a taxi for 7pm which I thought would get me at the airport slightly too early but seemingly the traffic had been bad. As it turned out, that was right, but I was still at the airport just before 7.30pm.

Check in was a breeze. As soon as I got up to the front of the Club queue, the previous couple were just leaving so I was seen right away. The economy queue scared me. I didn't fancy having to wait as long as those poor lot did towards the end of the queue. The check in guy gave me a voucher for the La Vallette lounge and directed me towards "fast track" security. Ha. That was a joke. There's a desk. Fast track is to the right. Normal to the left. But there's only one guy on the desk and as soon as you pass him, both queues just merge into one! No matter. I was through within 5 minutes. I picked up some chocolates in duty free and headed back to the lounge which is situated just before the duty free shop.

Luckily the lounge wasn't too busy when I arrived but got busier within 20 minutes or so. I found a seat to the left as you walked in and got some power to charge the iThings for the flight. The food selection wasn't too bad. There were some mushroom vol-a-vents, some mini pizzas, packaged sandwiches (like the type you get in Marksies), crackers, nuts and olives I think. The bar was well stocked too. I had a few Ciscs and a Bloody Mary.

One of the lounge ladies then walked round and said that the BA flight was boarding. Time to wander down to the gate which was only 2 minutes away.

BA2645, MLA-LGW, Boeing 737-400, G-GBTA

No fast track boarding at the gate. Once your boarding pass was checked, you walked across the tarmac to the waiting plane.

I got settled into 1F. Captain announced a full flight and a flying time of 2 hours and 45 minutes. Before long we were off. We taxied back up the runway, did a wee turn at the top and the engines fired up and took us above the night skies of Malta.

As soon as the seatbelt sign went off, the lights sprang into action and the note rags were distributed. What I did notice was that, on taking the tray table out, it was wet. The cleaners on the ground had obviously cleaned them all on the turnaround - very impressive!

And the menus! Most important part.....

I was a bit disappointed to see that it was exactly the same choices as on the way out. I would have thought that they would have changed the menu but never mind. To give you lot as good a report as possible, I decided to go with the ravioli this time. But not before having a pre-dinner drink and some nuts (cashews discarded!)

Now, a moan. Why the flip can't BA carry a bottle of Tobasco on its flights?! What good is a Bloody Mary with no spice? And Worcester sauce doesn't count as spice. I want to feel my taste buds tingling with spice, not just vodka!

The ravioli was actually pretty decent. Very cheesy which was good. Nothing worse than getting some sort of cheesy pasta and not being able to actually taste the cheese because there is too much cream in the sauce. Eagle eyed spectators will notice that the dessert isn't actually the passionfruit cheesecake as advertised. It was more like some sort of coffee mousse cheesecake. Fine enough though. The cheeses were also great. Yes, I had dessert before cheese. Who's judging?!

All finished off with some murky dishwater (BA, please, please can you not invest in making some good coffee onboard?!).....

.....and some more wine! You know you have a good crew when they automatically give you two drinks without you even asking!

I snuggled up under the blanket for a wee while, popped some music on and enjoyed the rest of the flight. We landed into Gatwick about 25 minutes early. Getting back into the UK was easy enough. It wasn't even a 10 minute wait. Didn't have to wait too long for the bags wither - priority bags worked! I headed outside where the bus was waiting to take me to the hotel.

I had booked a night at the Holiday Inn for Ł59. It took about 2 minutes to get there. I was checked in by a pleasant guy and told that I had been upgraded. It was also no problem getting a late check out until 12.30pm. He offered me a drinks voucher to have a pint in the bar which I accepted.

I went upstairs and was greeted with the longest corridor in the history of corridors. Naturally, my room was right at the end!

The room was a standard Holiday Inn room and was comfortable enough for a night. I went down to the bar, got my pint and some nuts and read a paper to catch up on the goings on in the world. I kinda wish I hadn't. What a place the world is turning into. Sometimes I think it would be good if there was a reset button!

And then to bed!

In the morning, I enjoyed a long lie and a leisurely time getting ready. As I checked out, the bus to Gatwick pulled up. Great timing. I got off at the North terminal and waited for the National Express coach to pull up. One thing that I had to laugh at was the smokers outside. Nothing against smokers. I don't care what you do. But come on. Massive no smoking signs outside the front of the terminal (you know, so non smokers don't have to smell it as they exit) and the smokers stand in that spot and not 10 metres to their left where the designated smoking area is. It's very rude. Maybe that's just the Brit in me - wanting to always follow the rules!

The coach ride across was fine. The coach was mobbed though so I was sat beside a nice old lady who decided to use my shoulder as a pillow. We pulled up at Heathrow and, being at the front of the bus, I was first off. Headed to the F check in area and a wonderful guy, C, checked me in. He commented that he loved the colour of my arms and asked where I had been. "Ooh Malta, eh? You lucky thing!". He offered to see whether he could get me on an earlier flight which was great of him but I declined as I was going to chill for a few hours in the lounge and catch up on some TV.

Fast track security was fast-ish and I was in the Flounge within 15 minutes. I headed to my usual spot of the Flounge where I was confronted with a casualty of jet lag who decided to use the nice sofas as his personal bed for a few hours....

All was put right with the world when I got a nice cold glass of Tattinger.

The wifi was being a bit of a d!ck during my visit which was annoying. I sat for a while, had some nibbles from the buffet and some more fizz. The Portuguese chicken was really good - had a nice kick to it. Managed to catch up on some TV during that time and enjoyed watching out the window as the sun set over the airport.

BA1318, LHR-ABZ, A320, G-EUYL

Boarding was called on time and I took my seat in 1A. It was a fairly uneventful domestic flight with the usual drinks run and refills if wanted. There were some nice views just as we took off before we got above the clouds. There were also some great views as we kissed the coastline of Aberdeen before making a turn towards the airport. The big windy road from Portlethen to Aberdeen showed up great from the plane window!

Landed on time into Aberdeen and I got a big shock when I headed out into the drizzle before getting into the terminal. I didn't have to wait too long for my bag and was then on the way back to my flat which I had left just over a week earlier. My holiday was at and end.

I really liked Malta. I thought it was a great country. I saw some friends on Saturday night and one of them said to me that he had a mate who had been and who hat hated but that he didn't tell me that before I left. I was glad he didn't so that I could form my own views of the island. Its right history and great architecture coupled with great food and wine and wonderful people make it an excellent choice of holiday destination. I would definitely return again in order to see more of the island. I'm really glad BA started this route. Both flights were packed to the rafters so here's hoping it's continued next year.

Thanks if you have made it this far! Hit me with any comments / critiques
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Good read, you have inspired me.
Good to hear flights well supported, too.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Enjoyed the last part of your trip, and it seems as though you were sad to leave, to be honest all those lovely photos you took would make one wish they did not have to leave. Glad you had a great relaxing holiday, and shared it with us. You were obviously greeted well into ABZ with rain a bit of a let down.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.