Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An escape from British summer - BA Club Europe to Malta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
After the load of walking I did around Valletta I was shattered so had a wee snooze and then decided that I would try Carissa at the hotel - the al fresco dining experience. They had some live music on which was excellent. A girl and a guitar and she covered well known songs actually very well. I had veal which was good but not amazing. The service wasn't as good here as the other restaurants. Silly things like taking about 15 minutes to give me a glass of red wine. Not a travesty but not ideal.

The setting was nice. In gardens which are in the centre of the hotel complex. It's nice to hear the sound of running water and the wind running through the leaves. There are some big fish in the ponds too.

The next day, it was a bit overcast in the morning so I decided just to have a walk down by the seafront and along the way a bit.

To my delight though, the sun soon came out for a while and warmed things up a bit.

I stumbled upon a great marina - again, millionaires' paradise!

I ended up round at St Julian's Bay which had loads of nice wee boats.

Those coloured boats are traditional Maltese fishing boats (or Luzzu). If you look carefully, there is a pair of eyes on the bow of the boat. Each boat has this. It was a tradition brought to Malta in ancient times and has been carried through to modern days.

I found the Love monument which the lady at the hotel told me to look out for.

You'll see that the L and the V are the wrong way around. How it is supposed to work is that, when you are peering into the sea with your beloved, the reflection will spell out LOVE. After three.....awwwwww!

I sauntered further around the bay and even went in for a swim. Although cold to start with, the sea actually wasn't too unpleasant but the waves were a bit erratic!

I walked back round to the hotel and grabbed a late lunch at a nearby bar of spicy steak salad. It was as advertised - spicy but delicious!

It was then time for some more sun and swim before evening. I went to the club lounge as usual and had some drinks and nibbles. Yes, whistling man was there doing my head in...As an aside, I'm in the lounge just now after just checking out and it is an oasis of calm. That is before the storm hits when the free booze is put out at 5.30pm!!

That evening, I decided to head somewhere different for dinner. Someone at the hotel recommended a place called Peppinos which is just round the Bay from where I am so I decided to walk round there. But first, I had a pit stop at Waterbiscuit where I tried one of their molecular kir royal cocktails.

I don't know the ins and outs of the technology that they use but the kir crystals burst in your mouth and released the most intense flavour. It was something I had never tried before. And thinking about it, once I have posted this bit, I might go have another one before I leave!

So, Peppino's. It's obviously where the locals hang out. The place was mobbed. The guy running it reminded me of an Italian / Maltese Basil Fawlty. For those who don't know who Basil Fawtly is, have a look at this clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFMpySg_UrM). It comes from probably the best British comedy series ever in my opinion. I had the best time ever. The owner (presumably) sat at a wee desk and hand wrote the bills out and every time his phone rang, his answer was "yes, yes, yes?!". "Where is Gizi? What is he doing? He is taking too long to come up those stairs".

The service was slow because they were one down in the kitchen but it made no difference to me. I was enjoying myself listening in to Basil! And then there was a power cut. It was great. Basil was going ballistic wondering what had happened.

When the food did come, it was very tasty.

So that was an experience. There's an upstairs level too but I was seated downstairs. After that, I walked back round to the hotel and went to Waterbiscuit for a few drinks and a chat with one of the bar staff who I had become friendly with.

I really like this bar. Great atmosphere and superb staff.

Over and out! 10 mins until the whistler appears I bet......
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:16 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Your photos are fantastic! Hubby & I have been to Malta twice but have never strayed far from our hotel, other than a quick trip to Valletta on the bus. I now feel almost like I don't have to but in a good way!

I fancy trying Peppinos when we are there later this month, I've read good reviews & that clam dish you had looks delicious, did you book or just wander in?

We go a week on Sunday, staying at the Corinthia St George in St Julians, it's pretty central for restaurants & bars but we're more than happy to stroll further away for a good meal.

Thanks again for such an excellent TR ^
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LadyB
Your photos are fantastic! Hubby & I have been to Malta twice but have never strayed far from our hotel, other than a quick trip to Valletta on the bus. I now feel almost like I don't have to but in a good way!

I fancy trying Peppinos when we are there later this month, I've read good reviews & that clam dish you had looks delicious, did you book or just wander in?

We go a week on Sunday, staying at the Corinthia St George in St Julians, it's pretty central for restaurants & bars but we're more than happy to stroll further away for a good meal.

Thanks again for such an excellent TR ^
Thanks LadyB for your kind and gracious comments! I know exactly where the Corinthia is - I could see it form my balcony.

I just wandered into Peppino's - but if you want to be guaranteed a seat upstairs and outside then I would call ahead and book. The walk for me was only 5 minutes so for you, it would be just 10 minutes. It's a pleasant stroll.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
I recommended a restaurant at the Corinithia St George to Stu1985 earlier in the thread. Try Caviar and Bull. Of course there's always Henry J Beans if you're in that kind of mood.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:53 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by gnarly
I recommended a restaurant at the Corinithia St George to Stu1985 earlier in the thread. Try Caviar and Bull. Of course there's always Henry J Beans if you're in that kind of mood.
Thanks gnarly, I believe Caviar & Bull used to be Grill 3301, if so, we ate there when we last visited and it was very good. I've looked at the current menu & it looks very nice and similar to that of Grill 3301.

We haven't eaten at Henry J Beans but have had many a cocktail there, in fact it's where I had my first Slippery Nipple
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks gnarly, I believe Caviar & Bull used to be Grill 3301, if so, we ate there when we last visited and it was very good. I've looked at the current menu & it looks very nice and similar to that of Grill 3301.

We haven't eaten at Henry J Beans but have had many a cocktail there, in fact it's where I had my first Slippery Nipple
This is a family thread

Back in UK - lovely, great LGW crew on the way back. Chat to come.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Bretteee
I loved Malta and Gozo.

Food looks good. BA food Club on short haul is subpar to Geneva and Luxembourg.

A year ago I did not like the champagne either.
specially for you we will next time you go get a bottle of LPGS on the flight^
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for sharing the remaining days and pics of your TR very interesting and so lucky you fell upon the tour giving the history of Malta, the island does sound an interesting place to go. Look forward to the return back to LHR^
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Thanks for sharing the remaining days and pics of your TR very interesting and so lucky you fell upon the tour giving the history of Malta, the island does sound an interesting place to go. Look forward to the return back to LHR^
Glad you're enjoying the pics BA5E. Now ensconced in the Flounge with a glass of Tattinger. Might as make what is left of the holiday enjoyable!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Malta looks amazing! I went once as a kid but that was a long time ago. It looks like a great place to go to catch a bit of sun this Autumn.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy
Malta looks amazing! I went once as a kid but that was a long time ago. It looks like a great place to go to catch a bit of sun this Autumn.
Thanks for reading matthandy! It really is. The lovely girl in the lounge told me yesterday that it starts to cool down at the start of October though. Maybe a late September break? Or bring a jacket if you go later!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Interesting to read this. I, too, was at the IC in Aug - 14-21 and flew BA (had to go back to UK 15-17 so got loads of TPs and really good value CE seats. Very busy route.

Didn't like the IC. They had no hot water for a good 5 hours whilst I was there.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Interesting to read this. I, too, was at the IC in Aug - 14-21 and flew BA (had to go back to UK 15-17 so got loads of TPs and really good value CE seats. Very busy route.

Didn't like the IC. They had no hot water for a good 5 hours whilst I was there.
Thankfully I didn't encounter that!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by stu1985
Thankfully I didn't encounter that!
And the lady in the lounge didn't even know it was a hotel-wide problem.

Glad I went to Malta though - lovely people and lovely place (other than St Juliens)!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

The next morning, I had breakfast in the lounge as usual. I was swithering between going to Mdina or Comino. I did a bit of a google and Mdina looked too far on the bus (it probably wasn't). After all the walking I did in Valletta I did want a bit of chill time so decided to go to Comino. Again, my bus stop was placed excellently. The bus took us to Cirkewwa where there were various boats leaving to go to Comino. I had just missed a boat so sat in sun for a wee while before getting onto the boat over.

Wow. The crossing was choppy. I'm not the best for sea legs at any time but today it was crazy. Any more chop and I would have been over the side of the boat spilling the nice breakfast I had! The ride across took about 25 minutes.

The views from the sea as we came in to Comino were great.

And then we reached what Comino is famous for - the Blue Lagoon. This place looked spectacular. I thought I was in paradise. I will let the pics do the talking for a wee bit.....

I found a spot on the rock and just enjoyed the view and the sun whilst popping now and again into the sea for a swim. It was great. So clear. Really wonderful. I did feel a bit apprehensive about leaving my bag with my wallet and phone etc unoccupied so didn't stay too long in the sea. If I didn't have that to worry about, I would have been swimming across to the other wee island to explore!

My first only FT selfie just to prove that I actually was there!

I spent a good 4 hours on Comino. It was great. Even though there were a load of people, it didn't feel that way. I was chilled out. The boat ride back was great. They did a wee detour around the rocks so you could see them - it was amazing. The sea again was a bit rough but this made for some good pics.

And that was the day trip that was. I loved it Had a great day, chilled out, and the scenery was amazing!

Thanks for following my holiday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.