Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Etihad Diamond First Class AUH-IAD

Etihad Diamond First Class AUH-IAD

Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Because I can still try the new aircraft in January
Ahh ok well kudos to you for having that many points! Also have to respectfully disagree about CX FC being better. It is very solid don't get me wrong but I think CX food is just ok and screen size isn't wonderful. I had better food on NH of late to name one. The EY IFE screen is bigger and the food blows CX away. I think EY and SQ FC are on level playing field right now but like I said once the 787 product is rolled out in January I think EY will be on top no questions asked.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
More info on the logistics of booking the massage, please.
the last time i was there (last sep) the spa was first come first serve.. since i have only about 50 mins in the lounge I couldnt get in because they were fully booked for the next 1.5 hours or so..
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Wonderful pix. Thank you for the TR. The pre clearance does look like a pain in the ...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:07 pm

Very nice TR. Shouldn't HDR best be done with a tripod? Or does your camera shoot so fast that even handheld it can get three shots (or more)?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Nice TR! But $24 for wifi when flying on an $8800 ticket is ridiculous.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:42 pm

In the box were two little chocolates.

I can confirm that on the date of my flight, in early June, I saw GE kiosks at the preclearance facility. I'm assuming that they were operational, but I can't honestly say I saw a person use them. Looking at the customs desks the kiosks are on the far left and I was on the far right, so I wasn't looking right at them. The supervisor did mention they were hoping to get the automated passport machines soon.

The spa services were booked when I got to the lounge (I didn't know they did massages either).
According to this thread it looks like you just missed the "premium lines" for AUH pre check. As the first person who reported it was in late July. How would having this changed your overall EY experience?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...y-lanes-3.html
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
The premium lanes are to get you into the facility. Once you're in the actual TSA hall, it's all the same line.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: United Premier, EK Skywards Blue, AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Lufthansa Miles & More, Aeroplan
Etihad is flying to Kolkata starting March 2015, and Dallas in December. I can now avoid Qatar Airways and see how EY compares to EK.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I agree that the pre-clearance is a disaster and certainly not worth it for Global entry people. Why can't they get a few GE kiosks at AUH? That would avoid the political issue of having a U.S. citizens line.

Personally, as an F passenger, I would go at the very last minute and let the EY people figure out to get me onto the plane. Especially if I had checked luggage.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:58 pm

More info on the logistics of booking the massage, please.
OP great TR with good pics.

SanDiego1K after you are done with Gulf, come to Mumbai with me. Great scientific reflexology by will trained blind people. I walk on air after it is over. Am addicted to it to go three times a week when I am in Mumbai.

Costs all of $ 10 with a generous tip.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN

Best flight ever? Not really. Would I ever pay for it? Don't have a choice on that one, I couldn't afford it. Would I have been happy with the service if I had paid for it? I have absolutely no idea since I could never afford it. I will say though that 90,000 AAdvantage miles was a heck of a lot cheaper for me to acquire than the $8800 this ticket cost, so I got that going for me (which is nice).
Awesome pics as well as a jovial trip report !! ^

Good that atleast you had the points required to make this trip - I still have a long-long way to go before I could make a trip like this
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Madone59
This is on of those TR's that temps me to venture away from the *A and try one of the ME3.

Thanks for the TR. ^
I'm with you. I'm pondering a trip to the US but if I go on one of the 'glamour airlines' and not Qantas, it will take me ages.

Very slick product indeed.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Cabin too warm to sleep

I also hate too-warm cabins (AA is really bad about it, they hand out 90% polyester PJs and thermal blankets, and keep the cabin in the high 70s.) Did you try asking a FA or purser if they would make the cabin cooler to help people sleep?

(On a recent CX flight in F I resorted to sleeping shirtless. I figured my suite was large enough to not be a distraction.)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:13 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Really appreciated your report with its excellent pictures. I hadn't heard that F passengers got a massage. Did you need to book it in advance, or was it easily available in the morning when you entered the lounge?
this is standard in most major FC lounges... incld EK, QR, BA etc.

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
This route will be jazzed up X10 when the 787 starts in January. How come you didn't hold until then to try the new aircraft?
isnt that a 789? if so, it wont have FC so wont be quite the same experience.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:14 pm

They wouldn't let me buy any duty-free items either, which was a bummer as I can't buy my liqueur of choice in the USA, only abroad..
I wonder why you can't do duty free as you are allowed to do it domestically in the US now.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...-food-or-gifts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.