Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A kettle's weekend on BA (no Oneworld) (semi-live)

Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

Currently, I am a BA Executive Club blue member, like your grandmother who once flew on Dan Air to Jersey. I've never held any airline status more exalted than Qatar's Burgundy status, which was kind of their equivalent to OW ruby.

I finish work at 3.30 p.m. on Friday afternoon and head to ... the rental car, not being entirely happy to rely on a taxi in case I needed to squeeze a few minutes' more work in. That didn't happen and after 45 minutes in a fabulous Volvo V40 (with a terminally over-optimistic GPS), I'm at Hertz, and then quickly on to the shuttle. I meet a Scottish guy with bags big enough to carry my entire apartment, heading for Terminal 4. He correctly predicts that we will be dropping at whichever terminal he's not flying from, and we're quickly at T5.

Heading for Security South, I would have been through quickly but for kettle like behaviour. I leave my perfectly sealed bag of minuscule toiletries in my case, meaning that I get selected for extra screening even though, for possibly the first time ever, I fail to set off the metal detector. Strangely, everyone else in front of me has done much the same thing.

With no lounge access, I head to Plane Food which is not quite lounge-like although I do have an oasis of peace and tranquillity from any of the wait staff, who resolutely ignore me, and most importantly, my requests for the bill so I can head to the gate for a vitally important spot of gate-lousing. Using the privilege a blue card affords me, I select gate A17 and I'm off to Milan.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Hi

Did you not follow the standard procedure of posting in the BA forum so we can get a redirect link? I nearly missed this report.

It's been a long time since I was blue so it's good to see another perspective. The fact there was no priority pass lounge in T5 meant it was one of the few airports I didn't have access to some sort of lounge when there was one available. For domestics I used to go for a final drink at the Wetherspoons as I could see when the gate was actually boarding most of the time. If I had enough time for a meal I'd alternate between Plane Food and Wagamama.

I only liked ordering a meal when I knew I had excess time as I was no fan of having to chase down the bill when it's time to board. I remember one time trying the bar next to Galleries North and that was table service I asked for the bill and had to wait 15 minutes for it.

The Wetherspoons is normal bar service, pay when you order the drinks, but as it's a Wetherspoons I'd recommend avoiding the food.

I was trying to think what my routine was for an international departure, but most of the times when using BA as a blue it was domestics, then I had some longhaul CW flights (including 2 CWLCY) which got me to silver pretty quickly.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
IIRC Dan Air to Jersey was Mr Flyingbee's first ever flight!

I think that you must get far more peace and tranquility in Plane Food (even if the staff do decide to disturb you to take your order / bring you your food / bring the bill) than in the Galleries Club lounges in T5 which are always heaving. But perhaps in Plane Food you miss the entertainment of the Very Important People making Very Important Phone Calls Loudly or Very Important FaceTime Calls on loudspeaker that you get in the lounges that makes up for the lack of peace and tranquility.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC
I remember going on a package holiday ex-MAN years ago. The flight departed around 11.30 pm; we were airside by 10 pm. The terminal was quiet, but Frankie & Benny's had a two-hour wait for dinner.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Because the gate was selected by a blue card holder, it is hidden behind swathes of mysterious cladding and I eventually get there just before not-boarding is announced. The gate agent asks everyone to remain in their seats before boarding starts. Immediately a queue appears, full of people who absolutely must be premier executive platinum gold guest list CCR cardholders, given by how urgently they need to board. Strangely some of them are wearing shellsuits in 2014.

Needing to go on a business trip directly after my return flight, I am overdressed as the easiest way to carry a suit is to wear it.

The flight is so full that two middle seats in CW are occupied :-) (Strangely there are empty seats next to each but apparently people just assume that they are sitting next to their companion). Happily I have paid Ł12 to get one over on a GCH and am therefore occupying 9C (an exit row seat).

The flight is uneventful but I am seated next to a lovely English couple who do the route regularly and who are a little surprised that I am spending a weekend in Milan. In truth, I am looking to spend some time "around" Milan rather than in it, but I am grateful for their tips. Food, drink and service were both thoroughly acceptable, though being full from the earlier meal I don't finish my sandwich.

We land on time and after a little time on the tarmac, I am literally waved through security within ten minutes of the gate opening. From there it's a walk through the brutally technocratic architecture of the Milan airport, through to Hertz where I am given a Renault Captur (which has a fantastic built-in navigation system).

Then it's on to my hotel, the DoubleTree, where I note that TripAdvisor has over-promised and under-delivered on street hookers. The room is a little smaller than expected but otherwise very nice but, being tired, I decide to call it a night.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I think it's only fair that I conclude this.

The DoubleTree is a good hotel with no clear reason to exist and I felt like I was rattling around the place. Milan was better than I expected, in many ways, though I didn't sample a lot of the nightlife or the fine dining. It was however scenic and pleasant, which is what I was looking for, and easy to get out of the city and explore. Italian drivers were surprisingly reasonable, even frustratingly slow at times.

Flying back I took a POUG (ages ago!) to put me into CE and am now sitting in the remarkably quiet MXP lounge. It's certainly tranquil but there's not a great deal going on and the food is, not unreasonably, nothing special (although my experience of lounges to date has been frankly absurdly good).

I do get to experience row 1 however, which is good, and tonight I will actually be in a Hilton again, this time for work as I have had a client meeting thrust upon me (and normally I don't even have clients!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.