Community
Wiki Posts
Search

// LHR - BKK // My First Coup d'etat //

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Some from a BA009 LHR - BKK - LHR BA0010. Service on the return route was excellent, prefer the timings of routes like the LHR - SIN (23:00 departure) though, it's a shame they brought forwards the flight time to 3:40 for the outbound (changed a year or two ago I think?)

First time in Bangkok, so it's a very clichéd touristy set! This is more of a photographic rather than text based TR.

We stayed in the Millennium Hilton, which was far nicer than expected - although the pool area was starting to wear a little. Couldn't really fault the rooms or the views.

It was very quiet too, a lot of tourists were scared off due because of the coup d'etat.

There was a noticeable military presence, but all seemed peaceful.

The only downside was a 10pm curfew - annoying but I wasn't going to let it ruin the trip.

Got to start it off with a typical LHR waiting plane shot!

From the 85th floor of the Baiyoke II tower. I'd really recommend visiting here if in Bangkok! It was cheap and gives you access to an indoor 360 viewing area, around 60/70 floors up, and then a revolving outdoor section up on the 85th floor.

Chao Phraya at Night - Taken from our hotel room

Bangkok Traffic

Wat Arun - One of the more famous temples in Bangkok

I had a bit of time to kill in the room, so thought I'd had a play with the telephoto from the window.

View from the Baiyoke Sky Hotel

Weather Approaching Bangkok

Glass

Chao Phraya at Dusk

View from the Baiyoke Sky Hotel

Chao Phraya River Dwellers

Market from Above

Chao Phraya River Dwellers

A couple of buildings within the Bang Pa-in Summer Palace complex located in the 'old' capital city of Thailand (Ayutthaya). Around one hours drive from Bangkok.

The 'Bridge over the River Kwai' - we visited this after a couple of war cemeteries for allied troops. A moving experience.

Bang Pa-In Summer Palace

Bang Pa-In Summer Palace

Wat Benchamabophit. Another temple, this one is located in Bangkok.

Wat Maha That. A UNESCO world heritage site dating back to the 13th century. It was mid-day at the light was (unfortunately) incredibly harsh.

Wat Maha That

Budda Head Wrapped in Tree Roots

Wat Maha That

Headless Buddas

POV shot from Damnoen Saduak floating market. An interesting experience - however, there is a lack of control (to a degree) of what stalls you visit! It was my partner and I with a 'paddler' taking us around. The stall holders would literally use a hook and drag you into thier stall!

Not a place for those that are fussy about food health and safety!

Coconuts!

As someone that likes shooting (photographically) animals, there was a distinct lack given the city enviroment. However, we (our driver ) made the three hour (each way) trip via the River Kwai to go and see some.

Water Buffalo

Now a couple of Tiger cub shots. (In hindsight, I have oversharpened them a bit)

My partner and I were with the four cubs for around an hour, it was just the two of us (plus four staff members, one per cub) so we didn't disturb them, and let them come to us as not to be intimidating. They livened up and we began playing (although it was hard to photograph them when they were jumping all over you!) coup d'etat

To finish it off, a few assorted people ones:

The End!

Thank you to anyone that managed to scroll through and look at them all!

My next post will be more concise!

More reports in my signature for anyone that's interested.

Last edited by obiterdictum; Aug 21, 2014 at 3:00 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Happy woman in #26

Where were the tiger cubs at? My father would love to do that!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Lovely pics. I love some of the angles you get down to to take the shots, also some of the symmetry, for example in the boat waiting to be hooked, and the train track on the bridge.
Nice job!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond

Great photos, makes me want to go back!

I also like the millennium hilton. A special mention goes to the orange juice which I found to be the most amazing I'd ever tasted, on 2 separate trips..!

Where did you do the tigers? I went to one place in what appeared to be an old rock quarry, paid a little extra and got a few quick shots with full grown tigers, nothing like the time you had
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:04 pm

Sawatdee khrap!

Great pictures. Thailand is a riot of colors. Good on you for posting so many pictures.

The guy in #37 looks like he's from Hong Kong... HK is full of people pulling stacks of stuff on trolleys.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xenole
Happy woman in #26

Where were the tiger cubs at? My father would love to do that!
She was in a bus with no air conditioning, I think I would have looked like her if was in a baking hot bus!! So say it was warm at the time is an understatement.

And have put some info re the tiger cubs below.

Originally Posted by Champagne please
Lovely pics. I love some of the angles you get down to to take the shots, also some of the symmetry, for example in the boat waiting to be hooked, and the train track on the bridge.
Nice job!
Thank you Champagne please, I appreciate the kind comments. I do try and pay attention to the composition when framing the photographs.

Originally Posted by aceman
Great photos, makes me want to go back!

I also like the millennium hilton. A special mention goes to the orange juice which I found to be the most amazing I'd ever tasted, on 2 seeparate trips..!

Where did you do the tigers? I went to one place in what appeared to be an old rock quarry, paid a little extra and got a few quick shots with full grown tigers, nothing like the time you had
Thanks aceman, a very interesting comment re the orange juice. My partner and I commented specifically on how it was rather odd tasting compared to the fresh orange juice we are used to back in the UK!

The tigers were at the infamous Tiger Temple. They had the whole adult walk the tiger thing as well which was good - it was the private time with cubs that made it special, I'd recommend it next time you're back out there.

Originally Posted by prolixindec
Sawatdee khrap!

Great pictures. Thailand is a riot of colors. Good on you for posting so many pictures.

The guy in #37 looks like he's from Hong Kong... HK is full of people pulling stacks of stuff on trolleys.
Thank you prolixindec, I'm yet to go to HK, it's on my to do list though! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for sharing with us, and what amazing photos you put through, and loved the ones with the tiger cubs, how old were they,
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I loved the Water Buffalo picture. That was a really neat angle/position to catch it at
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:35 am

Awesome captures, obiterdictum!

What telephoto did you use?

Did you get to cuddle with the bigger Tigers too? Or were they not in the mood?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Great photos, obiterdictum!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Amazing photos. Heart the tiger cubs
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Reminds me of my Bangkok trip. You saw so many things I did. I loved playing with the tiger cubs, feeding them and watching them drift off to sleep almost immediately.

A special purpose of the trip was to see the Burma Railway and the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery. Amazingly in your photo there is nobody walking down the rail line.

Thanks for posting. Your pictures are stunning.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Thanks for sharing with us, and what amazing photos you put through, and loved the ones with the tiger cubs, how old were they,
Thank you BA5E the cubs were around 3 months old, and were apparently two sets of twins. I will say that when playing with them, their strength vs their size is simply unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
I loved the Water Buffalo picture. That was a really neat angle/position to catch it at
Thanks Jet'Dillo, I got absolutely filthy taking the picture as I was lying flat on my front so I'm glad you appreciate the angle!

Originally Posted by DanielW
Awesome captures, obiterdictum!

What telephoto did you use?

Did you get to cuddle with the bigger Tigers too? Or were they not in the mood?
Thank you DanielW, funnily enough I didn't hug them! I did however give some of them pats / strokes on the back and (rather bizarrely) walked an adult one on a lead (when I say walked, it was the tiger leading me rather than the other way round, I was most definitely not in control!)

Although we were flanked by several staff when around the adults in case the tiger took a swipe, I'm sceptical whether they could have intervened quickly enough should it have attacked. The disclaimer against death you sign at the start is also a little unnerving!

Originally Posted by injian
Amazing photos. Heart the tiger cubs
Thanks injian, it's hard not to fall in love with the little things.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Reminds me of my Bangkok trip. You saw so many things I did. I loved playing with the tiger cubs, feeding them and watching them drift off to sleep almost immediately.

A special purpose of the trip was to see the Burma Railway and the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery. Amazingly in your photo there is nobody walking down the rail line.

Thanks for posting. Your pictures are stunning.
Thank you Annalisa, yes I did stick to the touristy activities and hired a driver and guide to take me around to the popular destinations, there was so much to see that I thought this would be the most time efficient way to manage the trip!

R.e the tiger cubs, yes it was very amusing, they are an odd mix in-between puppies and kittens when you look at their mannerisms.

The cemetery and bridge were indeed very thought provoking, I'm glad I went there and paid my respects.

As for the empty bridge, luckily the train had just passed though and cleared everyone out of the way!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
Those pictures really make me want to book a trip to bkk, thanks for sharing
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:36 pm

thanks! more please :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.