Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Physci
Print Wikipost

A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Very much looking forward to this. Be interesting to see how a true frequent flyer travels in a week.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Definitely looking forward to this report c-w-s, already subscribed! ^ Very interesting topic and as someone who travels mostly on/for (my own) business too, I do think you hit the right target and the report will certainly be interesting to spot the differences between a more "leisure" traveller and a "road warrior". The last time I did travel with friends I do acknowledge that there have been moments where I wished I would be on my own: much quicker and more efficient

Greetings from onboard AA245!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I wonder how many future posts will here will now start "This is not a trip report, but..."

Last edited by Paralytic; Aug 18, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by heckenhocker
watching with interest
^ +2

Another infrequent flier here who is interested to see just how mad your diaries are, cracking idea for a thread c-w-s
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm looking forward to this. Like others, I'm a bit surprised by cws's choice of London transport.

I will admit that my first thought on seeing the BAEC app was that it seemed slightly unrealistic that your upcoming flight was showing on the latest version. Maybe that's now a GGL-only benefit
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I wonder how many future posts will here will not start "This is not a trip report, but..."
Hihi - the same idea crossed my mind too
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Looking forward to this one, I did 8 flights in the space of 15 days recently and as much as I love to travel I started to feel worn out. If I stop and just think about who much flying C-W-S does, I think my head would explode.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
I'm enjoying this. I'm around 150-180 flights a year, so it's very amusing to read some of CWS little nuances as they resonate. The bags before breakfast has always been one of mine.

I've just done a two week stint of 10 flights. If id been a little more organised we could have compared notes!

Last edited by pablol; Aug 18, 2014 at 12:27 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Your packing technique is identical to mine when away on business - and also the breakfast routine - gave me a chuckle as I have also noticed that some people don't seem to brush their teeth after breakfast!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Monday morning - London City to.....

I had a good night's sleep at the Hilton. One strange thing about me travelling is that though I always set the alarm, I always seem to wake a few minutes before it goes off. Almost all Hiltons worldwide have exactly the same radio / alarm clock so its easy for me to set. Up a bit before 6 am, and I am online at 06:20. There's someone in Asia I could do with speaking to today, but because of my travels I'll be "offline" (as we say) for the morning, which is the main time overlaps between Asia and Europe.

I also start the process of packing, which given one bag isn't a big chore. This is my technique: I put everything I left out in the room on to the bed, so I sweep through the room accumulating stuff, paying particular attention to adapters, belts and ties (things which often get forgotten). Then on the bed I rearrange it into heaps according to where in the bag it needs to go, bearing in mind electronics and liquids need to be accessible at the top of the bag. Then I go off to breakfast, knowing I can come back, clean my teeth and be out the room in 5 minutes. Favourite bug bear with other business travellers: those that bring there bags to breakfast for immedidate departure afterwards. Apart from cluttering the breakfast area they presumably spend their morning, after a big breakfast, in close confines to other office staff, with teeth uncleaned!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by dddc
Perplexed as why you took to the long way with the DLR to South Quay, with a long connection at the Bank/Monument complex and not the Jubilee line from Westminster (down a few escalators, but no long walk like bank or the 1 stop change at Green Park), and then the few minutes walk through the West Atrium at CW and then over the bridge to the Hilton?
Jub was closed from Westminster yesterday.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I have also noticed that some people don't seem to brush their teeth after breakfast!
In over 30 years of working in offices, I've never once seen anyone brush their teeth after lunch, so rebrushing after breakfast I wouldn't believe to be all that common.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This will be interesting.

I often wonder what sort of work it is that requires some to spend so much of their time flying from one place to another, especially now that we have excellent networking technology which could allow us to do a lot of business at home in our underwear (or whatever).

I'd also like to know whether those that do so much travelling for their work actually enjoy it. Or is it a bit of a chore that they secretly hate?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Originally Posted by DrGee
I'd also like to know whether those that do so much travelling for their work actually enjoy it. Or is it a bit of a chore that they secretly hate?
Or to use a Heppell Flip, do they affect to hate it, but secretly love it
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Very much enjoying this diary so far!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrGee
I often wonder what sort of work it is that requires some to spend so much of their time flying from one place to another, especially now that we have excellent networking technology which could allow us to do a lot of business at home in our underwear (or whatever).
Of course, you can have a telephone call or email exchange with someone you know well very easily—but when you are talking to people you don't know yet, particularly when you don't share a common fluent language, it is quite hard to get any further than the transient and purely professional rapport sustained only by your immediate need for the conversation.

Now that may or may not be satisfactory in the circumstances you have. If it isn't, you're stuck, because nothing else is going to come of it (in my experience).

And of course if you are in the business of actually doing hands on work rather than just having a chat with old mates (), unless you have a pair of remotely operated robot arms you aren't going to get very far.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 18, 2014 at 1:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.