A long weekend in the Czech Republic - ABZ-LHR-PRG on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A long weekend in the Czech Republic - ABZ-LHR-PRG on BA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Fantastic pictures and a great trip report. Prague is such a beautiful city; could happily wander around for hours
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
putting aside the glenlivet issue it was without a doubt a brilliant trip report
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
That was a great trip report stu1985! Reading that has made me want to take a trip to Prague again - I was there in January last year and had an amazing few days there. What is the weather like (temperature wise) around this time of year there?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:22 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Excellent TR. Loved the pictures, and there were views on the train, well atleast for this train buff

How did you pay for the biz class for everyone? Miles? Curious as to how much more it was than Y. Cost is my major issue in trying to fly business class... unless I get lucky and have to become a traveling non profit administrator :P
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for sharing with us your great TR to and from PRG, LOL when you commented that ABZ had run out of bubbles so early on in the day, disaster, as we all like our early morning kick of fizz. Have not been to PRG but it looked very appealing. Thanks again for the time and effort you took^
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by g1ant

Spill the beans, where was the "proper wee Czech place off the beaten tourist track"??
Ah-ha, now that would be telling and would spoil it! All I will say is that it was around 10 mins walk from Charles Bridge off a wee side street to the left

Originally Posted by run44
Fantastic pictures and a great trip report. Prague is such a beautiful city; could happily wander around for hours
Thanks run44! Wholeheartedly agree with you. Prague is a gorgeous city. I loved just wandering around and finding cute side streets to go down.

Originally Posted by perthflyer
That was a great trip report stu1985! Reading that has made me want to take a trip to Prague again - I was there in January last year and had an amazing few days there. What is the weather like (temperature wise) around this time of year there?
Hey perthflyer - thanks for your comments! The weather was lovely when we were there. Highs of around 25 degrees C. It was sometimes overcast but it was still warm - definitely shorts weather.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Excellent TR. Loved the pictures, and there were views on the train, well atleast for this train buff

How did you pay for the biz class for everyone? Miles? Curious as to how much more it was than Y. Cost is my major issue in trying to fly business class... unless I get lucky and have to become a traveling non profit administrator :P
I did wonder if any train fans would like those pics thetravelingRedhead - glad you did! Paid for CE using my air miles (or Avios as us BA lot call them). CE was 18,000 Avios each and £50 in tax. Y is 9,000 Avios and £35 in tax. These are BA's Reward Flight Saver fares - pretty good value!

Originally Posted by BA5E
Thanks for sharing with us your great TR to and from PRG, LOL when you commented that ABZ had run out of bubbles so early on in the day, disaster, as we all like our early morning kick of fizz. Have not been to PRG but it looked very appealing. Thanks again for the time and effort you took^
Thanks BA5E for reading! Couldn't believe that ABZ ran out of bubbles at 7am! You'd think that would be when they were stocked up!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
First class again Stu ^...matthandy et al watch your back
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
don't get me wrong I am all for live and let live

its just my own preference not to dilute a decent single malt

though having said that I am sure there are some (whisky snobs) (they can be worse than wine/champagne snobs) who don't rate 15 year old glenlivet
...me too. i find that some good single malts with some soda in the hot sun is a marvelous drink. clearly the Japanese think so also...

I find it remarkable that beer is still 20 crowns…It was that price when was there….in......1997!!!! I still remember how beautiful the Strahov Monastery was. I am sure it is more busy now but when my wife and I went many years ago, we were the only ones there…

The food was great and so was this place we went to.. http://www.agharta.cz/

Perhaps we will go back one day to prague although recent photos from a friends trip shows that tourism has increased a wee bit since we were there.

I love the double rainbow….’what does it mean’…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI ;-)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:05 pm

Thanks, really enjoyed your writing and your pics bring back fab memories of a wonderful city.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike&co
First class again Stu ^...matthandy et al watch your back
Haha thanks mike&co. I don't think SFO777 has much to worry about

Originally Posted by longpause
Thanks, really enjoyed your writing and your pics bring back fab memories of a wonderful city.
Thanks for reading longpause - glad you enjoyed. Glad my report brought back some nice memories for you.

Originally Posted by mkjr
I find it remarkable that beer is still 20 crowns…It was that price when was there….in......1997!!!!

Perhaps we will go back one day to prague although recent photos from a friends trip shows that tourism has increased a wee bit since we were there.
The price of a pint is great mkjr - definitely an attraction! And yes, I think that tourism is a massive business in Prague. Most places we went were buzzing. I'm not sure whether it would be quieter in the winter or not. I will have to find out!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, Miles and More Frequent Traveler, IHG Platinum
What a great TR!! Really enjoyed reading that with a glass of red tonight. I often travel in CE to Prague for both business and pleasure. Your photos really show off the best side of the city and I think that you are right in as much as avoiding the tourist traps and being with a Czech speaker really does help. I speak Slovak (for professional and personal reasons) and I always found it really helpful when in Prague as it can often allow you to discover some of the hidden gems that are not accessible to tourists. I am really glad you enjoyed your trip and I look forward to reading more of your TR's!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theflyingstudent
What a great TR!! Really enjoyed reading that with a glass of red tonight. I often travel in CE to Prague for both business and pleasure. Your photos really show off the best side of the city and I think that you are right in as much as avoiding the tourist traps and being with a Czech speaker really does help. I speak Slovak (for professional and personal reasons) and I always found it really helpful when in Prague as it can often allow you to discover some of the hidden gems that are not accessible to tourists. I am really glad you enjoyed your trip and I look forward to reading more of your TR's!
Thanks very much theflyingstudent for your nice comments - glad you enjoyed reading!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
Thanks for your great report
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deemkaa
Thanks for your great report
Thanks deemkaa for reading - glad you enjoyed!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Very enjoyable report. I was in Prague a couple years ago and loved it so it was nice to see it again in your report...thank you for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.