LUFTHANSA
LH 328
Aircraft: A321
Actual seat: 4A BUSINESS CLASS
Depart: FRA (Frankfurt Airport)
Arrive:VCE (Marco Polo Airport)
Sched.Departure: 4:05pm Actual Departure : 4:25pm
Sched.Arrival: 5:25pm Actual arrival: 5:19pm

As I reported in the last post, How awkward that there was no-one on the plane but myself and the crew, but then for a split second, I imagined that this was my private jet and with a big grin I took my seat and my driver right behind me put up my carry-on and back pack and wished me a pleasant journey. For 2 mins I relished in the peace and quiet with only the soft sounds of the good looking cabin crew giving me a warm welcome.

I was curious to know if Lufthansa did pre-departure drinks, but they did not, no matter I would sit like a king in my business class seat aka coach slimline chair with the middle blocked off. I have never seen so many rows of business class seats on an A321 there were about 10 or 11 rows, was it truly going to be that busy, as I thought it, here came the running of the bulls aka Business Class folks charging in for overhead space and running to their seats. Talk about a stampede, oh the masses lol

I sat there amazed at the chaos that erupted right in front of me, I have not known Germans to be so uncivilized, perhaps they were Italians with so much passion... then I heard them speak and I just sunk into my chair. Of course they are from the same place as me... the United States, literally ALL of them and several from LOONNNNNNNG ISLAN. My Seat mate arrived and asked me to stand so he could get to his seat which of course naturally obliged , in a rather abrasive manner and if I were either deaf or stupid... Dude, A I am from the US and B I speak English like most people. He was in such a hurry but I let it go, because I just got driven to the plane in a Mercedes Benz after taking a bath and drinking and eating the finest... I yelped out a chuckle and he just looked at me. I am having the best adventure EVER!

Funny Enough, The flight attendants spoke German to me and kept it going for the rest of the flight not one word in English which suited me just fine!

The flight was short and sweet and by this stage exhaustion was setting in and I passed out for about 30mins and since everyone had eaten, I decided to not eat, I mean my butt just grew to the size of a Kardashian over the last few hours, I certainly didn't need to eat more! The cute flight attendant saw I had woken and came over to offer me drinks, and I just kept it to Sparkling water only. Since I was in the aisle I was up and close and personal. woof hot! lol

The flight was smooth and quick and we were on our decent to Venice. I normally take the aisle seat since, I generally drink, yes like a lush when flying and need the bathroom, but this is one flight I should have sat at the window seat, what a spectacular view! Sorry neighbor literally falling into your lap to take the pic, but you know us non English speakers..ha!
I am in VENICE!!!! Ok now I am excited to be here! Ready for an adventure!

Venice

Last edited by nycflyer75; Aug 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Great report and pics.

BTW, they served the same amuse bouche when my family (4 of us) flew BOS-FRA in LH F (744 with F side-beds) on 24-JUL using 67.5k UA miles/person.

Boarding was nothing special (J and F together).

FWIW, had to beg the counter agent in BOS for BPs issued on LH cardstock.

FRA was our final, so no FCT (this time....was there last year).
Did hit a FCL, however.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Oh the joys of pretending not to speak English
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:29 am

Great report! Love the FTC so much, just that its bit inconvenient for transit pax, or do they not expect them to use it?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Im loving this trip report. keep it coming. how much were the taxes and fees
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
TRIP REPORT VENICE ITALY LUFTHANSA FIRST CLASS

Part 1: JFK-FRA
Part 2: Lufthansa First Class Terminal
Part 3: FRA-VCE
Part 4: NH Palazzo Borroca Venice
Part 5: Venice, Italy
Part 6: VCE-FRA
Part 7: FRA-JFK

NH PALAZZO BOROCCI

Before I began this trip, I spent so much time reading a million (or so I thought) trip reports on Lufthansa right up until about 2 weeks before the commencement of the trip, then I realized, oh crap I better book a hotel! Since I am Delta Diamond I have been trying to push my work clients to put me up at SPG hotels since Delta has a rewards program with them, so naturally I looked up SPG hotel to see that I pretty much needed to be a long lost relative of the Romanov Family, I can't believe how expensive the hotels in Venice are and well lets put it... really old! I know I should be grateful for the past etc etc but when it comes to hotels, I do like them to be a bit more modern! I was perplexed on should I stay at the Westin (which was the cheapest one in staying at a palace) or find something else, which by chance I found the NH Palazzo Borocci. I stayed a few months before at another NH property at Mexico City Airport.

I read the reviews and found that the hotel had been renovated and have lots of modern amenities which I loved! To put it this way, I am a huge fan of the W hotels! But what really made me choose the hotel was the free hot and cold and made to order breakfast as well as free wifi. I am supposed to get free wifi with SPG but every time I have to argue with them since they are often clueless about SPG crossover rewards, and this time I was ready for a change.

So Hotel booked I was all set....Then two days before, oh crap. How do I get to the hotel? haha. My brain was too focused on just Lufthansa (*shaking my yellow and blue pom pom's, drop split!)

Luckily the hotel had a link to a water taxi service that was 25€ roundtrip if booked online. It would take about an hour from the airport which seemed reasonable and when I looked at private water taxi's they were 140€, no thank you very much!

Once we landed in Venice, I headed straight out of the airport, turned left and walked about 7mins towards the water taxi area in the blistering sun. Since I booked my tickets online I had to pick up the actual tickets at a kiosk which was simple and easy. I only have to wait for about 15 mins till the water taxi arrived. Standing there waiting I was sweating like a hooker in church, it was so damn hot!

Water taxi sign

The waiting dock

The Orange line to the hotel

My chariot has arrived

After the 15min wait, it was time board the packed boat to Venice! I wish it was more like the boats from the mainland to fire island where you can sit outside on the desk and have the cool breezes on your face but this boat was stuffed inside with people with little air, needless to say I was dying a little, the consumption of 12hrs of alcohol was sweeping through my pours!
The seating inside was wrapped around the boat, you faced inwards but there were little jail windows that you could crank your neck like riding the Titanic in 3rd class to see a glimpse of the marvel architecture of Venice. Wow what I sight, for a moment I didn't mind!

Once we entered the canals I had almost forgotten about Lufthansa...almost and my sheer excitement of being in Venice, Italy was pouring out, ok the only thing pouring out was that alcohol sweat!

I marveled at the beautiful building until my neck cracked and then that was that! I needed to get off of this boat now!

Rialto Bridge

Gondola

One of the best parts about booking this hotel was the jetty is literally 10 steps away from the entrance to the hotel! Loved it! It was close to 7:00pm and the beauty around me was breathtaking!

The hotel entrance area

Front area of the hotel - Jetty

NH Palazzo Borocci

Entrance to the hotel

The Entrance to the hotel, is just gorgeous! It is in an old Palace that has been completely gutted inside and I was in wonderment of the small foyer. I was greeted with a big smile and then the agent showed me to my room which was up and down winding stairs and corridors, each one slight different to the next.

Hallway 1

Hallway 2

View out to the deck

Hallway 3

Hallway to the rooms

The key system is the tap kind, which I just love, since you can just leave it in your wallet and not have to take it out, well except for then putting it in the wall to turn on the air and lights. Dope I should have asked for two keys.

The entrance to the room was stylish and the lighting gorgeous to make anyone look like a hollywood star. I expected to walk into a beautiful spacious room, and whaaaa, it was the size of my friends apartment in Hells Kitchen... TINY! Ok Its a gorgeous room, but wow it was smaller than hotel rooms in NYC. But who cares, I am in Venice and this room is well equipped with...."gadgets and gizmos a plenty. I've got whose-its and whats its galore...." (under the sea) Then I opened the curtains to look right out onto a Venice style alley way with people walking past and yep I had already taken off my clothes to cool off (briefs still on of course) and well that was just awkward. Ciao Venezia! Now I wished I had asked for a room on a higher floor, but that's ok...I guess if you don't speak up you wont know!

Room - TV

Bedroom

View out of the first floor

View out the window

The bed I will say was extremely comfortable! In fact at around 8pm I decided to lay down and take a nap and perhaps wonder around Venice later, well that nap turned into waking up at 9am the next morning! Woof! I was out! I woke up starving! So I decided to take a quick shower and head to the free breakfast buffet. The shower pressure is AMAZING! AMAZING I tell you, It was the most gorgeous thing ever, well except for flying First Class on Lufthansa

I stood the for what seemed like an hour then I truly need to get some food, well once I turned off the faucet and stepped out of the shower, it was flooded like my very own Acqua Alta!!! This not not good, 10 mins of moping the floor with my towel and the bathrobe, I was ready to head Breakfast!

Acqua Alta - regular flooding of Venice

Bathroom

Shower

coffee machine

I have to say the breakfast was very good, and lots to eat! There were servers wondering around who were delightful and charming. You could also order omelets and pancakes. I ate like I was I had never seen food in a year! Stuffed, but enjoyable. There was even prosecco for a some mimosas and bellini's which I stayed clear of, well until it was 10:59am when I went back for brunch haha. I was happy I chose this hotel, the Breakfast was a huge saving on my budget!

Hotel breakfast/bar area

Cappuccino

Outside deck

Buffet - cold

Buffet - pastries/hot

Outdoor deck

Outdoor deck

Back of the main building and courtyard

Everything about this hotel was awesome. Could my room have been bigger absolutely, but would I pay hundred more for a little more space, absolutely not haha. Well maybe but I definitely need to come here with either a friend, lover, who knows just anyone to cut the cost in half!

The hotel in walking distance of a grocery store, 8 mins to the Piazza and there's lots of restaurants close by and I liked the fact it was not in a busy touristy area. Venice is very walkable city. Up-next my report on Venice, Italy! I highly recommend this hotel and most certainly will stay here again!

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone heading to Venice.

Last edited by nycflyer75; Aug 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Wow! What a great report
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
"gadgets and gizmos a plenty. I've got whose-its and whats its galore...." (under the sea)
Classic...love it.

Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVP
I love your writing style. Please continue to post!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So let me get this straight: You actually PAID MONEY to fly Lufthansa First? Now that's a FlyerTalk first, and I salute you for that!!! ^

Jokes aside, what a fun report to read. A nice welcome change to see LH First from a newcomer's perspective, rather than the jaded credit card poachers who fly it on a monthly basis. Looking forward to the rest!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
TRIP REPORT VENICE ITALY LUFTHANSA FIRST CLASS

Part 1: JFK-FRA
Part 2: Lufthansa First Class Terminal
Part 3: FRA-VCE
Part 4: NH Palazzo Borroca Venice
Part 5: Venice, Italy
Part 6: VCE-FRA
Part 7: FRA-JFK

After a refreshing couple of mimosas from my mid morning snack time with just enough buzz, it was time to head out and explore the city of Venice!

Right on my level...the ground level where my room is and where everyone can see me in my underwear up close and personal, which reminds me better do some crunches before I open my curtains again! Anyways there's a glass door which was convenient for a quick escape out!

Right away I open the door onto a very tight alley way with water around me and little itty bridges, I feel like singing the sound of music, I don't know why its Venice not Salzburg, so as I walk along the winding alley ways I can't help but be struck by the beauty of the city.

I had no map, just my iPhone map which I zoomed into the city before leaving, that way you can still use the GPS and see where you are going!

As a ventured further I came across an open lively square which had many people enjoying the Venice summer. Right away I saw signs for the Piazza and of course I have to go there.

As I continued walking it became apparent this town was crazy busy. I was walking into Times Square (NYC). Tourists Galore! Ok I know I am a tourist as well, but I don't walk at a snails pace and take up the entire path! It was crazy! 1pm in the afternoon and I am being bombarded with tourists from everywhere around the world but guess where most of them come from? haha yep my home country! eeek lol

As I walked past little alleyways and paths, dodging the tourists like I do back home in NYC I couldn't help but notice how beautiful and well preserved Venice is and it's just gorgeous!

I finally made it to the Piazza and it's grand, and stunning but full of people. One thing I did start to notice was there wasn't a lot of Italian being spoken around me, it's like there's no residents in this city or maybe they just stay clear as I do in NYC from the tourist traps. Perhaps... I would if I lived here!

After walking around, having an amazing caramel gelato, and a disgusting 5€ calzone I decided I need to come back later during dusk and walk around and see the lights!

With yet another gelato in hand I headed back to the hotel and relaxed for a few hours in my cold air-conditioned room.

Rush hour

Around 8pm, hungry I headed out again to explore and this time it was cool, but the humidity set it big time! I head straight back to the Piazza and what a difference a few hours make, the people had thinned out a lot! I was in absolute awe of the lights of the Piazza and the the singing coming from the little quartet and bands at some of the restaurants. I headed towards the water and it was just magical! Very romantic with a full moon, the sounds of the water and flattering lighting! Yes so romantic, me, myself and I!!! woof this is one city perhaps I should come with a date haha.

I walked the city a lot and found it truly magical. As I was heading back to the hotel through the Piazza, I noticed it was starting to flood. Pretty cool, though I was told it would not be a crazy flood. So after 15mins of watching water rise I left and finished my day off with another gelato, crap I better make that a 100 crunches!

My second day, I woke at 6am, bright and early and opened my curtain to stillness in the alleyway, I did my crunches and stood there admiring the still water. Seconds later dressed, I headed to breakfast the only one! This time I enjoyed the peace and quite of the outdoor breakfast!
I Decided to go out right away and ventured towards the Rialto Bridge, and discovered where the locals live, and just WOW! Stunning, little streets, alleyways, water ways and cool little supermarkets, Movie theater etc.

Once of my favorite things to do is venture into local supermarkets and see what folks buy! Fun! Well for me...

It was around 10am and only locals where out and I could hear the sweet Venezian accents being heard. I was loving every minute of it, and love seeing all the hot locals going for their morning run, which perhaps I should have been doing too!

Neighborhood - grocery delivery (Fresh Direct - Venice style)

Local home

I walked over the Rialto Bridge to the other side and ventured to the open air markets and through winding streets seeing more and more locals. I found a sweets shop which looked like charlie and the chocolate factory and was ready to get my fat on, when two built Italians walked by and in a split second, I chose water and a carrot stick.... grrrr lol

Rialto Bridge

from the Rialto Bridge

Market

Locals

Sweets

Motivation

With a full morning of adventures I headed back to the hotel to do some work, I have to pay off that First class ticket somehow, unless I dance in my window like Tom Cruise in Risky Business sans shirt, with people walking by and throw their Euro at me haha!

alleyway

Gondela

Taxiiiiiiiii

Local hang out

Night out

Venezian art store

I find this city absolutely incredible, it is however extremely expensive and I am not sure if I would come here again alone, but I admire the interesting unique life of the Venezian people! So who wants me to be their plus 1 on their next trip to Venice, of course it needs to be in Lufthansa First lol

Next up, Marco Polo lounge and VCE-FRA

Last edited by nycflyer75; Aug 22, 2014 at 7:49 pm
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Very cool report. I've never been to Venice (been to Rome and Florence), but your report makes me want to.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 am

Loving your report. If/when you return DO pay the exorbitant price for a private water taxi. There is nothing like standing up outside as you approach Venice and drive down the canals. So magical!!!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Fantastic read so far, the JFK and FRA lounges looked lovely, and to be almost the only pax in the lounges makes it even more special. Have never travelled LH, but it does look amazing, and the personal drive to the aircraft must have blown your mind away, what a way to arrive at the plane, with people already seated seeing you get out of your car and personally escorted upstairs, how the other half live. There is always that very first time when one travels F that is special, and something that one wants to do all the time. Am enjoying everything so far, keep it coming^
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Your photos of Venice are amazing, and you had beautiful weather which of course makes all the difference when picture taking, have never been to Venice, but it certainly looks a beautiful city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.