A Trip To Ukraine, Belarus & Russia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Ukraine, Belarus & Russia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
What a stunning TR. What were the tents in the square for? A protest?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW
And some Manti.
Manti, manti....want manti...might need to go get some right now. There is a place down the road...

I like mine with so much sour cream on top you can't even see them, perfect. Mmmmmmm. ^^
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:45 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Loved this TR, putting all three on my list.

Did you have any issues with visas and getting in and out of any of the countries?

Also, how much was the food? I only saw the price for the Big Mac :P
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isaifan
Great trip report as always. Thanks for taking us along to experience these unexplored places that most of us are too uncomfortable to visit.
Thank you, isaifan. Although not your typical european trip, it was fairly safe and easy. The language/Cyrillic bit was probably the biggest difficulty, but quite manageable though with a bit of sign language with the locals sometimes.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Fascinating TR, You're a brave man visiting Ukraine at the moment - though I understand that the Kiev area is relatively peaceful?

The Belarus visa on arrival is interesting, is that a recent development?
Thanks, exilencfc. Yes, Kiev is safe and peaceful. All the action is out in eastern Ukraine which is ~800k's away from Kiev.

The Belarus VOA was fairly easy to organise. Just have to organise a LOI in advance, which cost me 30 euro's through www.Belarussianvisa.com.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
If there is no Belarusian embassy in your home country you can use visa on arrival. I used this february 2013 travelling from Stockholm.
I think you can organise a VOA too if you have an embassy in your home country too, but it costs twice as much as getting it from the embassy.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Excellent TR! Weird to look at pictures of the city I live in on FT.

Thanks for sharing, and next time you're around give me a shout.
Thank you, Andriyko. Really enjoyed my time in Kiev, definitely the friendliest people of the cities I visited.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks for posting your trip report. I enjoyed it very much.

Interesting mix of beautiful pictures from the city versus the rather haunting photos from Chernobyl.
Cheers, goodeats. Yes, scary to think that if Chernobyl went fully thermonuclear they reckon they would have had to evacuate Minsk too.

Originally Posted by smit0847
What a stunning TR. What were the tents in the square for? A protest?
Many thanks, smit0847. The tents are basically left over from the Euromaidan protests earlier this year. An interesting article in the NYTimes earlier this week on this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/wo...-end.html?_r=0

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Manti, manti....want manti...might need to go get some right now. There is a place down the road...

I like mine with so much sour cream on top you can't even see them, perfect. Mmmmmmm. ^^
Yes, was craving some Manti on this trip too! Had them quite a bit in the Baltics, and was missing some good borscht too.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Loved this TR, putting all three on my list.

Did you have any issues with visas and getting in and out of any of the countries?

Also, how much was the food? I only saw the price for the Big Mac :P
Thanks, thetravelingRedhead. Yes, definitely recommend putting all three on your bucket list.

No problems with visa's. I used my UK passport for Ukraine, so no visa required. Used my NZ passport for Belarus (since much cheaper than UK). Just had to organise a LOI in advance which was easy through a website (www.belarussianvisa.com). NZ passport for Russia too because of the cost, and just did it through the local consulate after getting the necessary LOI (online too).

Food in Ukraine was very cheap, <$10 for a decent meal. Belarus was fairly reasonable too, and could get a meal at a cafe for $10-15. I went to inexpensive places in Russia, and the most I paid was $18 (at the cafe at GUM) for the full meal (main, entree, dessert, drink etc).
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the fascinating Trip Report
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:57 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wonderful trip report!
I really enjoyed all the photos.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:57 am

Great report. Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Brilliant TR - thanks for posting! Photography was lovely.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: N/A
Beautiful photos
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I'm always amazed by your trip reports DanielW, in fact I'm organizing a trip to Algeria and Tunisia in the second half of October following your recent trip report. Thanks again for sharing!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:13 am

Always impressed with your photos. Along with a couple others on this forum I find myself trying to emulate your photography. It's made me less obsessed with buying the latest gear and more focused on actually getting out there and shooting.

Thank you for continuing to share your wonderful trip reports.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Great trip report, enjoy these pics and love to travel to that part of the world in the future.
Thank you for sharing.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
This is one of the best trip reports I've ever read.
Every single picture of yours tells a story and is filled with emotion.
Thank you.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: SU Bonus, SK EBG, BD Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DanielW
Day 1.
'Think of the People'.
Actually, it says "People, start to think".
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Great photos and great report, as always. Interesting to see what Belarus is like outside of the winter, since I've never experienced it above 15 F.
Ditto....and Moscow, I've been several times now, ALWAYS in December. It looks to be a rather beautiful city in summer. Thanks for posting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.