Community
Wiki Posts
Search

72 hour RTW First Class Mileage Run on American, Qatar and Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
Many thanks for sharing.

Like many others, I always enjoy reading your TRs and I admired the way you seem to have got out of a rather desperate situation in a very stylish way ( i.e. SQ F); even if you did have to use up valuable miles to achieve this.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:43 pm

Regarding the see through curtains on AA, all US registered passenger airliners are required to have see through/mesh curtains if curtains are installed to separate the various cabins. This has been in effect post 9/11. Right after 9/11, US airlines were required to leave the curtains open. This was a solution that got approved.

Last edited by ILUV767; Aug 9, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:54 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SFO777
And the wine list. I've said it before and will say it again, Ken Chase must have something on AA, for I have no idea how he can keep his job with garbage like this. Most of these are $12 wines.
Another great report SFO777.

Ken Chase has been inflicting similar misery on us up here with Air Canada.

I am sticking to the belief that his choices are mandated by strong budget constraints.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Really enjoying the updates, thank you.

I have to ask though, did you arrange the bread basket in such a phallic way or was that their doing?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Did you try the Chateau d'Yquem? Only $3000 a bottle!
Seriously! I had no idea QR featured d'Yquem. That has to be one of the best (if not the best) wine featured on any commercial carrier (in terms of both of quality and cost - usually around $300+ per 375ml bottle!)

SFO777 thanks again for another fantastic trip report!

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Seriously! I had no idea QR featured d'Yquem. That has to be one of the best (if not the best) wine featured on any commercial carrier (in terms of both of quality and cost - usually around $300+ per 375ml bottle!)

-FlyerBeek
Depends on the vintage IMO. Some of the Kracher wines I much prefer, but those are ones made by Alois, sadly, is not longer with us. That said, the selection is very nice. The valley floor is very nice and the zind humbrecht. Clearly someone is thinking.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Ken Chase - enough already!

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

Ain't that the truth - in many, many flights in AC J I can pretty much count on one hand the times I found a genuinely decent wine other than the Drappier champagne.

I am sticking to the belief that his choices are mandated by strong budget constraints.
You're probably right, but it's much more fun to believe that he's just a deranged sadist, who likes inflicting bargain-bin bottles onto premium cabin travellers, while writing high-falutin' descriptions about how great they supposedly are.

Maybe it's a form of class warfare? "I, Ken Chase, the revolutionary oenophile, shall ensure that the bourgeoisie drink nothing but swill at 35,000 feet..."

SFO777, great report. As always, I'm eagerly anticipating the next instalment.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Talk about a wow! What a spectacular new facility that catapults DOH to the top of the big three Gulf airports. Big, spacious and open with all the bells and whistles that make this one of the easiest international connection airports.

A look back at our A340-600.

High marks for excellent signage throughout the terminal.

With premium class transfer screening lanes that had no lines.

With a main central area with fingers that go to the various concourses, after a few drinks vaguely reminiscent of Pittsburgh, but obviously on a far grander and spectacular scale.

The million dollar teddy bear.

That's what I'm looking for.

To a grand escalator to the skies with agents manning the base. This must be the place. I inquired about the First Class Lounge and and told that unfortunately, it is not yet completed. But I am most welcome in the Business Class Lounge. Little did I know that Qatar's DOH Business Class lounge is better than most other airlines' First Class lounges.

For more pics, please visit SFO777.com.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Qatar Business Class Lounge at DOH

Up the escalator on the entire upper level is the most incredible Lounge one can imagine. It spans acres. Bear in mind that this is only the Business Class lounge. The size, scale and opulence is jaw-dropping.

Hundreds of comfortable seating areas, most seats coming with ipad, water and snack.

A cool Game Room.

The lounge features two full service restaurants, one at each end of the complex. The more formal restaurant at one end...

And the more casual restaurant at the other end...

A functional Business Centre...

But Wifi is a frustrating work in progress. Medium speed but the worst part was getting kicked off every 10 minutes with the need to re-log in. Seriously?? I can't tell you how many posts I lost because of the 10 minutes and you're out stupidity. Yo QR, spend some money on your own Lounge Wifi system instead of piggy-backing on the free airport system.

Baggage Room with lockers!!

For more pics, please visit SFO777.com.

Up next: Back to Colombo in a great regional Business Class product.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveman518
QR F looks unbelievable, especially that menu-did you sample the entire menu throughout the flight?
Qatar First is a great product. Unfortunately, I decided to pace myself this trip so no sampling.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Yet another fine TR, SFO777.
I hear what you're saying about the AA 77W, including the odd configuration for the last seats in F and the ever-inconsistent and sometimes loud F FAs. The galley light aside, IF you're sitting farther forward in F and IF you get a could, considerate, quiet crew, the experience is not top notch but isn't at all bad. But that's a lot of IFs.
As someone who flies the AA 77Ws a fair amount in J, I've come to like the plane for that section. It's one of the best TATL Js one can find.
FWIW, flew QR J for the first time recently. Very pleasant, not least because there is so much legroom that you don't have to climb over your seatmate to reach the aisle.
Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Thanks very much Thunderroad. Good to hear that 77W J is a good product. Considering the F product, it's probably a wise decision to pull First from all but a few international routes.

Originally Posted by Markie
I'm sorry to read of the CX experience. Did they really not offer to rebook you? I am amazed you had to use your own miles to get home. I'm doing the same flight in about three weeks and now dread being stuck in luxury!
CX MLE staff was actually very good and responsive, including offering to book me on Emirates back to LAX and rebook me on SQ2 in First. But apparently the SQ office they needed to talk to confirm was closed for the night.

Originally Posted by greg5
I keep on repeating myself, but it's not a bad thing… Excellent TR! I started reading it on your website, but have gravitated back over here.
Did AA manage to serve you chilled champagne? Yeah, I'm still holding a grudge that they served me warm champagne in Business. I think a plastic cup for pre-departure drinks in F is pretty dodgy.
The wine list on QR looks pretty dang good. That Tommasi Amarone is one of my favorites. A nice Gewurtztraminer as well. The Central Otago Sauvignon Blanc is a bit different. I'll have to get back to Central Otago one of these days to see all the vines, the last time I was there there wasn't much planted yet.
Thanks very much greg5. That QR wine list is one of the best in the skies.

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Thanks for a great trip report, SFO777. I confess I am disappointed... I was sure that Qatar hadn't launched their A380 yet but I was hoping you had perhaps been on some flight I was unaware of. I can't wait for someone to experience that QR F in the A380. The A340 was good too, so thanks for that.
Thank you SAtraveller. I'm not sure what is going on with QR and the A380s. They've apparently refused deliveries, so not sure when we will see a Qatar A380.

Originally Posted by BA5E
Wow how lucky to be the only one in f never happens to me, bet u enjoyed being pampered, and great idea having the next seat to u being made up as a bed, had this once 1a was free was in 2a so great to eat in one seat and sleep in another. Feet with shoes on the ottoman one bad mark:
I've been really lucky to have a few solo F flights. My bad about the shoes.

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Did you try the Chateau d'Yquem? Only $3000 a bottle!
Maybe some old vintages are that expensive, but the ones QR is offering are only in the $125 range.

Originally Posted by makin'miles
You write outstanding reports, SFO777... thanks again! Look forward to the next instalments, along with many others here!
Thanks very much makin'miles for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by michlflyer
Many thanks for sharing.
Like many others, I always enjoy reading your TRs and I admired the way you seem to have got out of a rather desperate situation in a very stylish way ( i.e. SQ F); even if you did have to use up valuable miles to achieve this.
Thank you michlflyer. It looked pretty bleak for a while, and there was a lot red tape since I was a "transit" passenger and not officially in Maldives. I am so glad that Mrs. SFO wasn't with me this time.

Originally Posted by ILUV767
Regarding the see through curtains on AA, all US registered passenger airliners are required to have see through/mesh curtains if curtains are installed to separate the various cabins. This has been in effect post 9/11. Right after 9/11, US airlines were required to leave the curtains open. This was a solution that got approved.
Didn't know that. If that is the case, why are foreign airlines allowed to fly to the US with solid curtains?

Thanks worldtraveller73. Oh, definitely budget constraints. But even 2 Buck Chuck is better than some of the swill AA serves. Clearly AA is not interesting in seriously competing for real First Class money.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
-FlyerBeek
Thanks so much FlyerBeek. That QR wine list was very impressive. Makes SQ look like AA in comparison.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Depends on the vintage IMO. Some of the Kracher wines I much prefer, but those are ones made by Alois, sadly, is not longer with us. That said, the selection is very nice. The valley floor is very nice and the zind humbrecht. Clearly someone is thinking.
It is indeed nice to see some intelligent thought behind a quality wine list. No way that QR would even think to serve anything close to the swill that most airlines serve.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Ain't that the truth - in many, many flights in AC J I can pretty much count on one hand the times I found a genuinely decent wine other than the Drappier champagne.
You're probably right, but it's much more fun to believe that he's just a deranged sadist, who likes inflicting bargain-bin bottles onto premium cabin travellers, while writing high-falutin' descriptions about how great they supposedly are.
Maybe it's a form of class warfare? "I, Ken Chase, the revolutionary oenophile, shall ensure that the bourgeoisie drink nothing but swill at 35,000 feet..."
SFO777, great report. As always, I'm eagerly anticipating the next instalment.
LOL. Great Ken Chase comments. ^
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
That lounge is just mind-blowing. It's almost as good-looking as the EK F lounge in Dubai (in fact I probably like the style a little better) and the amenities are incredible!!!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:43 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Amazing TR so far, the Qatar business lounge is amazing! Can't wait to read the next part
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Another great report from you ... looking forward to read the rest ^
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Amazing trip report so far, SFO777! Can't wait to read more! I've been following it up on your site .
Tomorrow I'll upload to the AA forums some pictures of the same beef you had on the 77w, but the raw version. First time it ever happened to me.

EDIT: The Beef

Last edited by tuchop; Aug 10, 2014 at 11:19 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The one thing more amazing than that impressive lounge is how incredibly empty it is. How's that possible? Was it just a particularly dead time in DOH, or is there just so much space that it's never crowded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.