Reload this Page >

72 hour RTW First Class Mileage Run on American, Qatar and Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

72 hour RTW First Class Mileage Run on American, Qatar and Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:34 pm

Great report so far! Waiting for the next part(s)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Great start, looking forward to the rest. Wish I had a chance to snag another ex-CMB before it died.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks everyone for following along. Sorry that these are not as "live" as I would like... suffering from a distinct lack of high or even medium speed Wifi. AA 77W Wifi was a joke, QR has no Wifi inflight and the new free Doha Hamad International Airport Wifi was slower than molasses. Apparently, DOH administration thought it would be a good idea to boot people off and force them to log in every 10 minutes. I'm at CMB in the Serendib Lounge waiting for my flight to Male. As I recall, Wifi worked at the MLE Priority Lounge. Good news is that UL subbed a two class plane for the original one class one. ^

Originally Posted by zcat18
Looking forward to another top-notch report, SFO777! Quick question: So no visit to the Flagship Lounge, or does one not exist at DFW? Not being terribly familiar with AA's operation, I would have assumed they'd have F lounge facilities at the DFW fortress...
Thanks zcat18. Oddly enough, or not, AA doesn't have a Flagship Lounge at DFW, only JFK, LAX and ORD.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Looking forward to this TR with great anticipation! Thanks for doing another TR for us.^
Thank you UA_Flyer.

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
I'm glad to see that SFO777 flying F again~~!! All is right with the world
I'd have to second that one. Thanks LDNConsultant.

Originally Posted by rstruthe
Looking forward to the rest!
Originally Posted by ssafro1
Looking forward to another TR, SFO777! Always enjoy them!
Thank you rstruthe and ssafro1.

Originally Posted by Purim
Hmm. No BA on your OWE sortie around the globe?
BA and I just don't get along very well.

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Oh dear, I'm guessing you didn't get "Arlene"?
Actually the crew was pretty good, but you can only do so much with what AA gives you.

Originally Posted by MrPie
Don't recall SFO777 liking to fly BA...or his missus for that matter
haha
Yup. We are tempting fate and Mrs. SFO has given her blessing for another go around later this year.

Originally Posted by offerendum
A "real" SFO-Report again
Originally Posted by AhogZ
Great! The next one, let's read and observe
Thanks very much offerendum and AhogZ.

Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC
Unfortunately, we DFW captives don't get a Flagship Lounge. AA doesn't feel the need to have one in the home airport where they have 4 Admirals Clubs. Admittedly, the D concourse club is pretty nice, and the A and C clubs are all right.
See you in SIN!!
Eric
The D lounge is pretty good but alas, with AA cutting back on three class First (probably a good idea since they can't get it right anyway), no reason to have one now.

Originally Posted by JALlover
Great report so far! Waiting for the next part(s)
Thanks JALlover. If I can find reliable Wifi somewhere, it shouldn't be too long. I've edited most of the pics.

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Great start, looking forward to the rest. Wish I had a chance to snag another ex-CMB before it died.
Thanks very much sfoactuary. Yeah, they were great while they lasted.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Look forward to the TR SFO777. Whats interesting, I was seated on the same AA flight DEN-DFW, in the lounge in Denver the same as you. I was traveling with MsCoT and sat in row 5. A unknown brush with greatness.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Enjoying this so far as I expected I would. Looking forward to the rest ^
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC
Unfortunately, we DFW captives don't get a Flagship Lounge. AA doesn't feel the need to have one in the home airport where they have 4 Admirals Clubs. Admittedly, the D concourse club is pretty nice, and the A and C clubs are all right.

See you in SIN!!
Eric
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks zcat18. Oddly enough, or not, AA doesn't have a Flagship Lounge at DFW, only JFK, LAX and ORD.
Well I'll be darned. Thanks to both of you for the info. Can't wait for the rest of this report, SFO777, and ZFW-ATC: I will see you there!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:57 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I need a way to save all your trip reports to read on my next flight...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:03 pm

If you're on a Mac, just select 'Save as' from the 'File' menu, then 'Web Archive' as the 'Format'. Set your FlyerTalk preferences to read 40 posts so you capture the maximum amount per file.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Update: What a mess. When things go wrong for me, they really go wrong.

My completely full MLE-HKG Cathay Pacific A333 was first delayed and then finally cancelled at 12:45AM Male time Thursday morning. Cathay station manager asked everyone to take a 25 minute boat ride and accept a night "at a five star beach resort", while HKG sorted through the carnage and missed connections to the four corners of the world. I was the only one that decided to just stay at the airport and try to work something out with CX staff and get out of dodge ASAP. Kudos to Shuha who worked with me for the next 90 minutes in the Leeli Lounge looking at options with SQ, EK, KE and UL, and finally getting me out of MLE on the 2:45A SriLankan flight back to Colombo connecting to Singapore. I then used Singapore miles to get the last First Class seat on SQ2 to SFO Thursday night. Not sure I can get back to Denver Thursday night but I'm just happy to able to get out of Male.

Crap internet at both CMB and MLE made looking for alternatives a challenge. And forget about updates to my TR. Internet service was so slow that I haven't been able to upload pics in 48 hours. Totally refundable ticket means no problem with credit but I'll try to dance and get ORC for the cancelled Cathay flight. Will be interesting to see what compensation CX offers.

Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
Look forward to the TR SFO777. Whats interesting, I was seated on the same AA flight DEN-DFW, in the lounge in Denver the same as you. I was traveling with MsCoT and sat in row 5. A unknown brush with greatness.
Wow, what a small world. I'm blushing. Thanks ChurchofTee. Love you handle.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Enjoying this so far as I expected I would. Looking forward to the rest ^
Thanks so much CMK10. I just want to find working internet service somewhere this week. I'm thinking Singapore will be the answer.

Originally Posted by zcat18
Well I'll be darned. Thanks to both of you for the info. Can't wait for the rest of this report, SFO777, and ZFW-ATC: I will see you there!
Thank you zcat18.

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I need a way to save all your trip reports to read on my next flight...
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
If you're on a Mac, just select 'Save as' from the 'File' menu, then 'Web Archive' as the 'Format'. Set your FlyerTalk preferences to read 40 posts so you capture the maximum amount per file.
Thanks macdonaldj2 and AeroWesty.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 7, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:55 pm

Sorry about your recent snafu but -- a SFO trip report means all is well with the world. Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:14 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
what a trip and that snafu...

cant wait to hear the rest.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Hopefully you get a smooth ride with SQ from now on. Looking forward to the rest of the TR!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:42 am

Absolutely love your trip reports!! Thanks so much for putting the effort in to share your experiences with us!!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
My own brush with greatness - I am on the same tiny island as SFO777!

Love all the trip reports - vicarous travelling through the airports of the world at its best.

Why'd you decline a free night at a 5 star resort on MLE though?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Can't wait! It's been a while!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.