72 hour RTW First Class Mileage Run on American, Qatar and Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Keep up that great reporting, SFO777!
Your shots of the SIN terminal brought back fond memories from my wife's and my trip to Malaysia last earlier this year. When I told her we had a six-hour layover in SIN for the way home (before flying SQ back in F), she wondered what we would do with all of that time. Between the Private Room and (even more so) just bopping around the airport, we had a great time. We especially loved the butterfly garden.
Anyway, among other things I'm really looking forward to your comparison of the Qantas F HKG lounge with the CX F lounges there. I'm a big fan of the CX Wing, but would gladly check out the QF lounge if it gets your ^
Thanks very much Thunderroad. I can't think of a better airport to "have to" spend 6 hours. Unfortunately, the switch to SQ made me miss the new CX lounge, and the QF lounge is apparently under renovation.

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Stunning photo. I do need to get back there...
Originally Posted by Madone59
+1. You got me all excited for New Years in HKG this year ^
Thank you briantoronto and Madone59.

Originally Posted by dylanks
Wow, 32+ hours, definitely a good choice. That beats my recent IRROPS of "only" 21.5 hours on your favorite carrier, BA (see my recent trip report if you're curious). Great trip report, as usual. So, with the switch away from CX for the trip home, does this still help you re-qualify for exp plat?
Thanks dylanks. Indeed, I did get most of those AA miles for the missed CX flights.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Crickey - are you really British? You can't even spell civilised correctly!
LOL. I'm going to stay clear of this one.

Originally Posted by nemme99
I'm glad that my enjoyment of UL business class (A320) wasn't an aberration. How far do the SQ first seats recline? I recently took SQ J and am guessing the recline is similar, i.e., not a lot. Looks like there's a foot rest though? I'm considering booking SQ F (conveniently on my birthday) or delaying my trip for a week to get a Suite to LAX and use Avios to get back to SFO. First world problems indeed.
The SQ First seats recline about 30-35%. The seats turn into a completely flat bed by flipping the seat forward, sort of like a Murphy bed. The old First 77W is now going on 8 years, and if I had a choice, I would definitely go with the A380 to/from LAX.

Originally Posted by elleana
This is FT. What other kind can there be??!
Indeed.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks very much Thunderroad. I can't think of a better airport to "have to" spend 6 hours. Unfortunately, the switch to SQ made me miss the new CX lounge, and the QF lounge is apparently under renovation.
Oh, right, I forgot about the change in your travels along the way. FWIW, IMHO the new CX Wing is definitely an upgrade (in both the F and J sections) over what was already a nice lounge. But I still wouldn't place it on the same level as the SQ SIN Private Room or the LH FRA F Terminal/Lounge. The Wing's F dining area still falls far short in terms of selections, service and crowds, to the point where I usually opt for the great J section Noodle Bar.

As for the QF Lounge, you'll just have to go back through HKG to check it out and report the comparison with the CX lounges to the rest of us. Something tells me that will happen sooner or later.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nemme99
I'm glad that my enjoyment of UL business class (A320) wasn't an aberration. How far do the SQ first seats recline? I recently took SQ J and am guessing the recline is similar, i.e., not a lot. Looks like there's a foot rest though? I'm considering booking SQ F (conveniently on my birthday) or delaying my trip for a week to get a Suite to LAX and use Avios to get back to SFO. First world problems indeed.
Originally Posted by SFO777

The SQ First seats recline about 30-35%. The seats turn into a completely flat bed by flipping the seat forward, sort of like a Murphy bed. The old First 77W is now going on 8 years, and if I had a choice, I would definitely go with the A380 to/from LAX.
+1. nemme99, delay your birthday celebration and definitely go for the SQ suite via LAX. Personally I found the recline on the old SQ F quite sufficient, though I understand some folks don't feel that way. But even if your alternative were the new SQ F seat, the suite is most definitely the way to go.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Thanks for the absolutely fantastic report - I'm right there with you on "enjoying" the challenges of irrops, but sometimes you get to a point where enough is enough. Sounds like you handled it with a great amount of humour and made the best of a bad situation.

Also, really admire the way you have of telling the story between words and photos. I could learn a lot from you!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
SFO777, our dreams are your realities. Thanks for the continued inspiration to dream big and hopefully turn a few of those dreams into our own reality someday!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Looking forward to your Girls of The World segment.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
SFO777, our dreams are your realities. !
Maybe your dreams, but not mine! Spending 72 hours doing nothing but flying and sitting in airport lounges is a nightmare for me! I am certain I would lose my marbles due to poor sleep and all the stress involved.

That said, I do enjoy all of his reports - especially when there are those great snarky comments and pictures (not so many in this report, but some of those others!) - oh, have they made me laugh!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All passengers are required to deplane at HKG with all their belongings and reclear security. Other than a minor annoyance, it's a pretty painless process and HKG security is pretty efficient. We followed two airport staffers who gave us "transit stickers" and showed us exactly where to go.

Just follow the signs to the lounges.

With the SQ lounge being renovated, for the second time on less than 4 years, I decided to pop into the Royal Orchid Lounge.

Meh, the best part is the entrance.

Then around the corner to the Plaza Premium Lounge which SQ is currently until the SKL renovations are completed.

With the SQ agent on the left side.

Across the mezzanine, a much better lounge. Alas, not today.

At T-40, I headed downstairs to Gate 34.

Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hong Kong-San Francisco
Singapore SQ 2
777-300ER
11:30PM-9:30P
August 7, 2014
First Class
Seat 1A

After a brief delay at Gate 34.

We boarded the continuation of SQ2, now 13 hours to San Francisco. By this time, all I want is to go to sleep.

Once in the air, I asked my FA to make my bed and asked her not to wake me until I woke on my own.

Seven hours later, I woke feeling pretty good and hungry. I changed back into my day clothes and had some of the light bites.

Both the noodles and veggie wrap were really good.

At about T-90, breakfast...

For more pics, please visit my trip report at SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 19, 2014 at 10:06 pm
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Thanks for the absolutely fantastic report - I'm right there with you on "enjoying" the challenges of irrops, but sometimes you get to a point where enough is enough. Sounds like you handled it with a great amount of humour and made the best of a bad situation.
Also, really admire the way you have of telling the story between words and photos. I could learn a lot from you!
Thank you ironmanjt for your kind comments. I love your trip reports... and indeed am in awe of some of the places you've visited and your experiences.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
SFO777, our dreams are your realities. Thanks for the continued inspiration to dream big and hopefully turn a few of those dreams into our own reality someday!
Thanks very much Seat 2A. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Maybe your dreams, but not mine! Spending 72 hours doing nothing but flying and sitting in airport lounges is a nightmare for me! I am certain I would lose my marbles due to poor sleep and all the stress involved. That said, I do enjoy all of his reports - especially when there are those great snarky comments and pictures (not so many in this report, but some of those others!) - oh, have they made me laugh!
Thanks flyingfox. Yeah, while I loved it, 72 hours (actually more like 94 hours with IRROPS) of red-eyes, airplanes and airports are probably not what many would relish. Most would probably agree with Mrs. SFO who told me... "You are crazy!"
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow have I think read all your TR, do not know where to carry on, or where i left off, absolutely loved the QR lounge, must someday get ourselves into it, and having never been to DOH it would be excuse to do so so as to try out the lounge. Wow also what a lot of toing and frowing in MLE, bet in the end you were glad to get out of there, 32hr delay would have been a nightmare. Love SIN airport, we spent a good 1hr going around the butterfly garden this year, as we had a 4 hour stop on way to SYD. Bet now you are glad to be back home in your own bed.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Damn!!
Now I'm hungry for french toast.

As always, a joy to read about your travels.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I didn't have time in MLE to think about how to get home from SFO, and actually forgot about it until I got to SIN. I initially figured that I'd just overnight in SFO and probably then take the first SFO-DEN flight in the morning since I doubted a red-eye could get me back home faster and cheaper. But amazingly, ITA showed a great last minute DL fare of only $206 via MSP getting me home an hour before the earliest SFO-DEN nonstop arrives... and no hotel expense. I booked the flights at T-24 hours after seeing that Economy Comfort seats were still available. As a lowly Delta Silver Medallion, I couldn't select free EC seats until T-24 hours. We arrived at a deserted SFO international G pier and, with Global Entry, I was out less than 5 minutes after deplaning. And using the SFO AirTrain, was at Terminal 1 a few minutes later.

No one at Pre-Check and I was in the Gate 40-49 a couple minutes by 10PM. I found an open work station and caught up on works or edited pics for the next couple hours.

San Francisco-Minneapolis/St. Paul
Delta 806
767-300
12:35A-6:06A
August 8, 2014
Economy Comfort
Seat 10A

It may be a little thin...

... but at least it's a blanket.

Beautiful sunrise on approach to MSP.

Minneapolis/St. Paul
Delta 1608
MD-90
7:30A-8:31A
August 8, 2014
Economy Comfort
Seat 14F

As a lowly Silver, #17 on the upgrade list is not going to make it today. LOL.

OMG. Almost home.

With cool shadows of our plane as we land.

4 days and 4 red-eyes later, I'm less than 2 miles from home. What could do wrong... how about a road closing accident at the Hampden exit off of I-25, sending me back south on I-25.

Almost home...

Finally home... only 97 hours after I left. Thanks to all for coming along on this trip.

For more pics, please visit my trip report at SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 24, 2014 at 10:16 am
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Wow have I think read all your TR, do not know where to carry on, or where i left off, absolutely loved the QR lounge, must someday get ourselves into it, and having never been to DOH it would be excuse to do so so as to try out the lounge. Wow also what a lot of toing and frowing in MLE, bet in the end you were glad to get out of there, 32hr delay would have been a nightmare. Love SIN airport, we spent a good 1hr going around the butterfly garden this year, as we had a 4 hour stop on way to SYD. Bet now you are glad to be back home in your own bed.
Thanks very much BA5E. Indeed, I was sooo happy to leave MLE and to finally get home.

Originally Posted by Billiken
Damn!!
Now I'm hungry for french toast.
As always, a joy to read about your travels.
LOL. Thank you Billiken. Looking forward to coming home to Cleveland and being at the Q on October 30th.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for finishing this one, I can't really give any praise that hasn't already been given, but it was wonderful ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.