Live TR: Boston, Toronto, New York - 9 flights in 9 days

Live TR: Boston, Toronto, New York - 9 flights in 9 days

Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Enjoying this, I like your writing style ^
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Aaaand and we are back in business - sorry for the wait folks, I've just had an absolutely crazy three days in Boston. My friends have now left so I've got time to write again and the next parts of the TR are on their way!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Part 9: AC355 BOS-YYZ: Why? Why? Why?

Part 9: AC355 BOS-YYZ: Why? Why? Why?
E190 C-FHKI, Economy Preferred, Seat 15F

Today is "Why?" day, as I am about to discover. It starts with my alarm jostling me out of bed at 4:40am, a mere couple of hours after landing the night before (oh why am I doing this to myself?), followed by a nice cold shower and second degree burns from the in-room coffee maker. I manage to put my clothes on the right way around after only a handful of attempts and stumble out into the terminal. I make it halfway down the first travelator before I realise I forgot the greeting card we all signed for my friend who I am meeting in Toronto today. Raise my fist to the Red Sox banner on the ceiling, curse a little, make my way back to the room and dig it out of my suitcase. Second time's the charm and I soon make it to Air Canada's adorable little baby terminal annex in Logan's Terminal B.

Today's Embraer E190 waiting for me

I head to the checkin area and my mood is further "enhanced" by the machine refusing to print my usual souvenir BP. In a grandiose demonstration of airline IT, the machine refuses to even recognise any of the following: The barcode on my printed BP ("Unable to read barcode"). My booking reference ("Booking reference could not be found"). My passport ("Error 1501/B"). My LH Miles&More account number ("invalid").

I... Errrrrr... What?

There was only one manned desk which seemed busy so I give up and head towards the gate. The TSA agent motions at me that I'm free to go after passing through the metal detector, moving his hand (and watch) through the arc in the process. He seems immensely confused by the ensuing beep and calls for secondary. Fantastic.

Air Canada gate area

I enter AC's little gate area after the customary groping and realise I should have probably enjoyed a coffee before arriving there. The small food outlet doesn't quite represent the level of catering I would have expected. There are only three gates in this area, but plenty of free seating this morning. I quickly head to the gate agent to have my passport checked and take a seat at the window. Boarding starts soon after and it takes an unusual amount of restraint not to stand up when priority boarding is called. "This is not oneworld", I repeatedly mutter to myself while rocking back and forth. The man sitting across from me looks at me funny, gets up and moves three seats further down.

Seat 15F on the AC E190

Once on board, I make myself comfortable in seat 15F. This is one of the "preferred" seats on this particular aircraft, AC's version of Main Cabin Extra, and has about the same amount of legroom as seats on BA's E190 (which have unusually huge legroom due to union agreements limiting the cabin to under 100 seats). The back of the cabin looks a bit tighter, so I am glad I managed to snag this seat for free at online checkin.

Amazing views on a runway 4R takeoff

We take off over the bay, with some of the most fantastic views on takeoff that I have ever experienced from a plane window.

Just what the doctor ordered

The service commenced, which was perfectly adequate for the short service and delivered by an incredibly friendly crew. By all accounts, it was better than my previous night's AA F flight. I gulped down a much needed coffee and caught up on a bit of writing, occasionally checking out the map on the seat back (!) IFE which displayed some more signs of fantastic IT.

Thank you for flying Air Canada halfway around the world. We're aaaalmost there.

We landed on time and I disembarked, making my way across the terminal to the Canadian border, where I arrive to find a completely empty immigration hall. I head up the first booth and the fun begins. The officer is incredulous when I respond to the usual "How many days are you staying in Canada?" question with "12 hours". The smile disappears from his face, he looks me up and down and proceeds to interrogate me for what seemed like forever.

Why am I coming to Canada? Who is this friend I am meeting? How do I know her? Why would I go visit her for such a short time? What have I brought with me? Why do I not have a bag with me? Where did I just come from? How long am I staying in the US? Why am I travelling from the US? What am I doing in Boston? How long am I staying in Boston? Who am I seeing there? How do I know this person? Why is my high school friend in the US when I have an Austrian passport? Why do I have an Austrian passport but a British accent? Why do I live in London? How long have I lived there? What do I do in London? Do I have proof of my right to work in the UK? How am I getting back to Boston? Do I have proof of my return ticket? Why on earth am I flying to Boston via Chicago?

He pauses and thinks for a moment, during which I begin to fear that either the rubber gloves of doom are about to be deployed and/or I am close to becoming the first person in living history to be refused entry to Canada, then exhales sharply, stamps my passport and customs form and goes "alright, have a good trip". Welcome to Canada, eh?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Part 10: Toronto, eh?

Part 10: Toronto, eh?

After my immigration debacle I quickly divine that there is no rail-based way to get from the airport to downtown Toronto. The bus costs CA$42 but comes with free WiFi and a happy chap at the wheel so I can't really complain now, can I? A shifty and dishevelled looking character boards the bus before me and when asked where he is going responds "anywhere dude". I decide that is good enough for me and simply point at him and say "same for me" when it's my turn.

View over downtown Toronto

Turns out "anywhere dude" is the Intercontinental next to the CN tower which suits me just fine. My friend just moved to Toronto and couldn't take the day off her new job, so we'll be meeting for lunch and dinner and I need something to do in the meantime anyway. Grab some tickets for the tower (no queues this early in the day) and head up the magic lift to the viewing platform.

Billy Bishop airport in all its glory

Take some shots for the old Instagram account and spend half an hour watching the airplane action at Billy Bishop airport (YTZ), the Toronto equivalent of my beloved LCY. Fun twist the airport is accessed by passenger ferry, not sure the DLR can keep up on the coolness factor here.

Glass glass and mor e glass

I meet my friend for lunch over some poutine and spend the rest of the afternoon wandering around aimlessly in downtown Toronto and enjoying the glorious sunshine. I've been incredibly lucky on this trip!

Sunny harbourside Toronto

Dinner time comes around and we head to Lou Dawg's on King Street West for some rather nice cider and wings. I decide to come to Toronto more often and hope that I have managed to avoid finding myself on some sort of Canadian database of dodgy people.

Delicious wings and ice cold cider

We walk back to the airport bus pickup point at the IC and say our goodbyes - as luck would have it my airport bus arrives just as we get there around 5:30. I'm starting to feel tired and am dreading the US immigration dance at the airport and the hours of flying I have ahead of me.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:08 am
Original Poster

The more astute amongst you may have noticed that I've been suspiciously quiet over the last two days. No, I have not been held at US immigration, but my trip has taken a half funny, half annoying twist into borderline travel disaster.

I have now made it back to London (barely), so keep your eyes peeled for the rest of the TR (now not quite so live anymore) and a very crazy ending

Last edited by csutter; Aug 14, 2014 at 1:57 am Reason: Damn you autocorrect!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Is there going to at least be a section on US immigration questioning the crazy guy from across the pond?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Part 11: AA3304 YYZ-ORD: Where are your bags?

Part 11: AA3304 YYZ-ORD: Where are your bags?
E145 N608LM, Economy, 12A

"Where are your bags?" is a question I will hear a lot over the next 20 minutes. It starts at AA priority checkin, followed by the friendly gentleman checking boarding passes before immigration, followed by the US immigration officer. I quickly explain to him why I am re-entering the US barely three days after coming there in the first place, fully expecting him to subject me to an equally drawn out interrogation as his Canadian counterpart in the morning. Turns out he thinks there's nothing wrong with going on a daytrip to Toronto and wishes me good luck for my torturous journey back to Boston. Turns out US immigration couldn't care less, it's only Canada that hates me. Suits me just fine

NO I DON'T HAVE ANY BAGS DAMNIT

I proceed to the security checkpoint, before and at which I am asked three times by various staff as to the whereabouts of my bags (cue sharp intake of breath), and wonder for a while why the staff there are wearing Canadian uniforms. It finally dawns on my exhausted brain that yes, I am still in Canada. And there I was thinking the TSA had a rebranding.

All byyyyy myyyyseeeelf...

I walk over to the Admirals Club and am welcomed by a charming lady who hands me the customary drinks chit and winces in empathy when I explain where I'm going and how I'm getting there. I grab a Stella from the bar and sit down in the completely empty club, when she comes over and asks me if I have any bags checked in (gah!). Turns out she's trying to get me on the earlier flight to Chicago which just started boarding, meaning I could then go on an earlier ORD-BOS flight as well. What an angel!

Unfortunately they had just finished boarding so she brings me another two drinks chits and wishes me all the best in my endeavours. I grab another Stella and spend the next half hour admiring what has become a rather busy page in my passport.

All in the space of two days

My angel informs me it is time for boarding so with a heavy heart I grab another cookie and make my way downstairs to the tiny shuttle boarding area. I hang around the gate with the "Chicago" sign for a few minutes, wondering where all the people are, until I realise that despite all the signage they are boarding all flights through one gate. Oops.

The boarding agent asks me if I have any bags (deep breath now) and ushers me out into the tiny Embraer E145. I cosy up in seat 12A (single seat as these commuter jets are configured 1-2), not after hitting my head on something twice on the way down the aisle.

An A320 would eat this thing for breakfast

We taxi for ages, as per North American SOP, and then the folks up front put the pedal to the metal and we scream down the runway in one of the most exhilerating takeoffs I've experienced this side of London City Airport. They might be cute funny little planes, but boy can they accelerate.

Service consists of a drinks run where I'm served coffee. No milk onboard, so I get a pack of creamer which brings back distant memories of European rail travel in the 1990s. That said, I'd drink anything caffeinated at this point.

One day I'll visit properly, I promise

We land in Chicago on time after a gorgeous approach over the water and the city and I'm strangely happy to be back on American soil...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Is there going to at least be a section on US immigration questioning the crazy guy from across the pond?
You'd think so, but strangely enough US immigration loves me
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by csutter
Turns out US immigration couldn't care less, it's only Canada that hates me. Suits me just fine
I've had very similar experiences, and this coming from somebody who travels on a Canadian passport. My interactions with Canada immigration are often more convoluted and more questioning than US immigration. I also think the US preclearance guys that work in Canada are some of the friendliest in the system (maybe side effect of living in Canada?)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
My interactions with Canada immigration are often more convoluted and more questioning than US immigration.
Coming back into the US from Colombia carrying bags full of prescription drugs I had an easier time than trying to enter Canada coming off a cruiseship in Vancouver. I'm firmly convinced that the friendly Canadian thing is a facade and they just don't want tourists coming up there and crowding their streets.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: FT
I've had very similar experiences, and this coming from somebody who travels on a Canadian passport. My interactions with Canada immigration are often more convoluted and more questioning than US immigration. I also think the US preclearance guys that work in Canada are some of the friendliest in the system (maybe side effect of living in Canada?)
and apparently everything, including, housing paid for... ;-)

csutter, canada does not hate you but we do have a rash of brits with dual intent coming to visit female companions and of course, work illegally at our ski resorts ;-) the only line of attack i think is the border since apparently we can not even kick criminals out, let alone people earning illegal cash under the table.

lou dog's is very nice...[don't like the silly bearded hipsters in that area but the place has good food]
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Glad to hear I'm not alone with that experience. It's all moot anyway because I was let in in the end and had a good laugh about it since, eh

Originally Posted by mkjr
csutter, canada does not hate you but we do have a rash of brits with dual intent coming to visit female companions… and of course, work illegally at our ski resorts… ;-) the only line of attack i think is the border since apparently we can not even kick criminals out, let alone people earning illegal cash under the table.
Well I am Austrian, so I do know a thing or two about skiing...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Part 12: AA2221 ORD-BOS: Zzzzzz?
B738 N935NN, Economy, 8A

Hello, Chicago. Great to be here. It's 11pm Boston time, I've been up since 4:40am and I am wondering why on earth I thought this would be a good idea rather than just paying up for the direct Air Canada flight. It's okay, I can do this. Just follow the signs that say K gates and Admirals Club.

A sleepy yet busy ORD

Surprised how busy the airport is, yet how sleepy the general vibe seems to be. Try and spot a friendly soul to guest into the club, but it seems everybody is travelling in herds tonight. I make my way to the Admirals Club, ignorant that ORD of all places has a Flagship Lounge, and through reception. The place looks tiny from the outside, but the fact that you have to get in one of a bank of four elevators to get to the actual club level is the first hint at how huge it actually is.

View over the Admirals Club

It's quite busy around the bar and I'm no longer feeling particularly sociable so I just grab a quick Stella and head off to one of many quiet corners. There's an amazing view from the windows over the apron, so for a brief moment of zen-like reflection I become at ease with my strange ways and one with the airport. Or maybe it's just the beer.

Beer and Zen, what more can you ask for?

I board the flight, not without pulling an accidental DYKWIA-esque gate louse move, having temporarily forgotten that I am not actually flying in F on this flight and board soon after the two actual F passengers. This is where having AA EXP status would have been helpful, my puny BA Emerald status might give me Admirals Club access (which they don't get), but I have to slum it in Coach despite F being almost totally empty. But hey ho, I have a bulkhead seat in row 8 and the FA takes a liking to my accent and hangs my blazer for me and chats a bit.

We take off quite soon after pushing back, symptomatic of the time of day I presume. The next thing I remember is waking up as we touch down. I didn't even think about sleeping but simply passed out in my seat, bless. At least this time I didn't have any bags to wait for at BOS so I just crawl back to the hotel. At reception, my wish for a 2pm checkout is duly granted and the day finally draws to an end...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by csutter
A sleepy yet busy ORD[/center]
That Wolfgang Puck's in the picture, I'd sit at the bar there and drink my dinner (and sometimes have a snack) pretty much every Thursday for 3 months on my way home to IAH from working in Chicago for the week. Thanks corporate card. It made the $9-10 draft beers extra tasty.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

That Wolfgang Puck's in the picture, I'd sit at the bar there and drink my dinner (and sometimes have a snack) pretty much every Thursday for 3 months on my way home to IAH from working in Chicago for the week. Thanks corporate card. It made the $9-10 draft beers extra tasty.
I thought the name sounded vaguely Austrian when I walked past, turns out he is!

Might go grab some overpriced beer there next time I'm around and the AA drinks chits run out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.