Wiki Posts
Search

No TV, no movie, no radio, no channel 9. UA Domestic First SFO-ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
No TV, no movie, no radio, no channel 9. UA Domestic First SFO-ORD

I have not done any international travel in a long time (over 6 months), and most of my travels have been all domestic. I did buy a new HD camera at the request of many people, so I splurged on an HD camera ($300). I got the Canon S110 HD. It’s not as nice as my Canon S40 powershot, but it’s similar. For instance, when you want to record a video, you can’t just push the huge button, but you need to push the super small red button instead, even though your setting is on video. Painful. Also, the memory that these HD photos use is massive. You have to really unload the camera quite often, even with a 2G card. But since I’ve not done any international travel, I figured that I’d start off with some domestic trips. I hope you enjoy this.

This is my 2nd video in HD; the first one was published a bit ago. I’m trying to fine tune the use of the HD camera. I flew from SFO-ORD in “first” class (even though we all know it’s not even close to a domestic business class product.

I flew on the A320 both ways, and I was extremely disappointed at the lack of in-flight entertainment. There is no channel 9, no radio, no music, no Direct TV, no central screen with a movie—nothing. Absolutely nothing. They have wi-fi, which they want $10 for a slow, intermittent connection that is worse than dial-up. No thanks. UA spent all this money in the stupid mood lighting and leather seats and ripped out all the entertainment. Who’s bright idea was this? They’re just driving UA into the ground and making a bad situation worse.

Why would anybody in their right mind want to fly UA business class now domestically? To walk in and have absolutely ZERO entertainment. Whose bright idea was this? They really need to re-consider their strategy. The only reason to fly UA first is to get the miles and maintain status. Otherwise, why pay all this money for first class and have no entertainment? They do this on their new planes, also, which is a total shame.

Here is the complete video for those who want the video report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOsHfzkYpUU

For those who like text and pictures, I include this below.

Anyway, I start off at SFO;

at the gate by sfflyer123, on Flickr

We have a delicious in-flight meal. The flavor is excellent. The only problem is that I was still hungry at the end. It simply isn’t enough food. However, flavor-wise, this is one of UA’s best dishes.

Chicken by sfflyer123, on Flickr

For dessert, we have a chocolate chip cookie. Usually, they have a sundae, but this time, there is a cookie. Not sure when they serve sundae and when they serve the cookie. And on some flights, they serve no dessert whatsoever. I wish UA could tell us what they are serving before hand, so we know if we need to buy extra food at the airport or not. The cookie is outstanding, as usual:

Cookie by sfflyer123, on Flickr

After my meeting in Chicago, I go back for the return flight to SFO.

A B737 at the next gate:

B737 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

I was walking through the terminal, and I saw this plane being serviced. I wonder if they were changing the oil. If you see the video, you can see what they’re doing. I think they’re pumping out oil, but I’m no mechanic, so I’m just guessing.

oil change by sfflyer123, on Flickr

After take off, we get a nice view of ORD airport:

Take off by sfflyer123, on Flickr

After take off, I start with warm nuts and wine. I like the nuts better than the pretzel sticks. I think the nuts are classy and nice, but the pretzels are cheap and lame.

I then have the Asian beef entrée. It’s quite delicious. The beef is tender, and the noodles are nice. The only two gripes I have about it are that it simply isn’t enough food and the beef sauce is too salty. They should give us more food—like more salad or an appetizer—and they need to make the beef less salty, or put less sauce on it.

Asian Beef by sfflyer123, on Flickr

For dessert, we have the chocolate chip cookie, which is once again delicious:

Cookie by sfflyer123, on Flickr

For my parting shot, I really think UA needs to re-think pulling out all entertainment from their planes. It’s a huge mistake. Why would anybody in their right mind want to pay thousands of dollars in first class and sit there for 6 hours with absolutely no entertainment when other airlines have great movies and entertainment? I do enough internet at home; I don’t need to do more internet in the air (and super-slow internet). Some strategies at UA needs to really re-evalute this. This seems like when they spent millions of dollars to install all those in-flight phones at every seat—nobody ended up using them. Even workaholics want to be entertained on flights. Bring back the entertainment!

View by sfflyer123, on Flickr

Here is the complete video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOsHfzkYpUU

Thank you for watching!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Nice brother, I subscribe to your channel, I enjoy the videos in HD! I know you primarily fly UA and I'm curious if all the changes are going to push you elsewhere?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC*A
At least without the monitors SMI, J doesn't get to speak about "changes you will like."

Thanks for another excellent video - the food does look better in HD .

Looking forward to the next one!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Good video in HD.

I see nothing has changed at UA, as I only fly them if absolutely my only choice these days. Just don't post a complaint about the lack of on-board service over on the UA forum. They will tell you to suck it up and its only a 4-hour flight.....
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
It sucks that that they cut the soup
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have always enjoyed your video trip report!

Yes, UA's domestic operation is now a LCC pretending to be a mainline carrier. Jetblue, SWA, Virgin America are a couple of steps ahead.

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Good video in HD.

I see nothing has changed at UA, as I only fly them if absolutely my only choice these days. Just don't post a complaint about the lack of on-board service over on the UA forum. They will tell you to suck it up and its only a 4-hour flight.....
Agreed! Too many UA defenders out there.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:04 am

Agree completely -- UA offers a mediocre product across the board.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great Report! I think I won`t try UA in the near future
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:21 am

6 hours without IFE! I flew a LCC (flydubai) a few weeks ago, and even they had (free) TV for the 45 minute flight.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
At least you got a chocolate chip cookie! I flew IAD-SAN in F in a 'dark' plane (no IFE) last week and got some oatmeal, orange zest healthy cookie

Thanks for the TR.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DanielW
6 hours without IFE! I flew a LCC (flydubai) a few weeks ago, and even they had (free) TV for the 45 minute flight.
Hell I had to fly Southwest a few weeks and had all the IFE I needed just by looking around the plane!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Nice camera and HD video! "The plane isn't even here. Yet people are lined up to get on." haha

Check out caseyneistat on youtube. He's been shooting with S95/S110/S120 for most of his videos. Great inspiration.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Wow, what a sad state of affairs on UA. In days long gone by, I remember a three class 767 service from BOS and ORD to SFO. Those flights were fantastic not only in terms of hard-ware, but also service standards. I even remember the J cabin having white linens in the lavs to dress them up a bit. This was like six or seven years ago though. Compare that with the 'premium service' you were offered, un-real.

Just curious, on SFO to ORD flights, what's the elite upgrade rate? I'm assuming most of the seats are actually paid First, which makes the standard all the less acceptable.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by popoemt
Nice brother, I subscribe to your channel, I enjoy the videos in HD! I know you primarily fly UA and I'm curious if all the changes are going to push you elsewhere?
Thank you. Probably not yet since I am SFO based. UA sort of has me as a 'captive audience'!

Originally Posted by Orcair
At least without the monitors SMI, J doesn't get to speak about "changes you will like."

Thanks for another excellent video - the food does look better in HD .

Looking forward to the next one!
Thank you very much!

Good video in HD.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
It sucks that that they cut the soup
I know, that soup was great.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Yes, UA's domestic operation is now a LCC pretending to be a mainline carrier. Jetblue, SWA, Virgin America are a couple of steps ahead.
Thanks. Great points!

Originally Posted by hairpeace
Agree completely -- UA offers a mediocre product across the board.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Great Report! I think I won`t try UA in the near future
Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Pretty amazing. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Madone59
At least you got a chocolate chip cookie! I flew IAD-SAN in F in a 'dark' plane (no IFE) last week and got some oatmeal, orange zest healthy cookie Thanks for the TR.
Thank you. I do like that cookie. The oatmeal just isn't the same.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Hell I had to fly Southwest a few weeks and had all the IFE I needed just by looking around the plane!
LOL!

Originally Posted by yoonny
Nice camera and HD video! "The plane isn't even here. Yet people are lined up to get on." haha

Check out caseyneistat on youtube. He's been shooting with S95/S110/S120 for most of his videos. Great inspiration.
Thanks. Great idea. I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Wow, what a sad state of affairs on UA. In days long gone by, I remember a three class 767 service from BOS and ORD to SFO. Those flights were fantastic not only in terms of hard-ware, but also service standards. I even remember the J cabin having white linens in the lavs to dress them up a bit. This was like six or seven years ago though. Compare that with the 'premium service' you were offered, un-real.

Just curious, on SFO to ORD flights, what's the elite upgrade rate? I'm assuming most of the seats are actually paid First, which makes the standard all the less acceptable.
I think the upgrade rate is extremely low for CPU. The only time I've ever been upgraded SFO-ORD as a 1K is when I used miles or an upgrade instrument. Never got it just as a CPU. Thanks for the comment!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Pshhhh - implying UA is low cost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.