DL281: Delta's New Direct Service SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, Amex Plat

This is my first TR, so bare with me. It is also posted on my blog: http://www.flightwarrior.com/blog/dl...flight-sea-hkg. Any feedback in the comments would be greatly appreciated.

On June 16, 2014 Delta started direct service SEA-HKG. It’s currently the only airline offering SEA-HKG, a route that used to be flown by NW several years ago. The flight departs daily at 2:24pm PST and arrives in HKG at 7:35pm local time the next day. Total gate-to-gate estimated time is 14hr11min and the route is flown on an Airbus A330-200. The flight departs from Terminal S so Delta FFs will have access to the Delta Sky Club that is in the same terminal.

I flew this route on June 18, 2014 so it was not the inaugural flight. However, it was the third day of service and you could tell that the crew was still excited and enthusiastic about the flight. Ten FAs and four pilots, all of whom were Seattle-based, staffed the flight.

A330-200, Tail #N856NW, my home for the next 14 hours.

Boarding began at 1:29pm and was very smooth. This did not seem to be a FF-heavy flight as hardly anyone boarded during the Sky Priority boarding call. The flight wasn’t too full, with 50 empty Y seats and 5 empty J seats. My seat was 10H, the right-side aisle in the first row of EC. The seat had plenty of legroom (see pictures below – I’m 5’8” for reference, and was really trying to stretch out to show the amount of room). I highly recommend the first row of EC if you are not sitting in J. The only downside of sitting in the aisle is that I got bumped by the FAs two or three times, but I hardly noticed and expect this would happen to anyone sitting in an aisle seat for 14 hours. Most people seemed to have checked their bags, so there was plenty of overhead room for belongings.

Good leg room on 10H

Leg room in EC bulkhead, A330-200

Enviously sitting behind the J "mini cabin"

Before takeoff, menus were handed out in J and Y. The flight featured two full meal services and a mid-flight snack. There were three options for dinner and two options for the pre-arrival meal. The options in Y are shown in the picture below. After the menus were handed out, earphones and eye masks/shades were offered.

DL281 Y Menu (Dinner, Mid-Flight Snack, Pre-Arrival Meal)

We ended up pushing back 15 minutes behind schedule as we were waiting for cargo to load. After pushing back, we were in the air within 10 minutes. Takeoff and ascent were smooth as the skies were clear in Seattle with minimal winds (5mph) coming from the southeast.

After reaching cruise altitude (~38,000 ft), the first beverage service began with peanuts and pretzels. Beer, wine, and spirits are complimentary in Y but I chose not to indulge as I find that alcohol accentuates the dehydration/dryness when flying. About 1.5 hours in, the first meal service (dinner) began. It started with a hot towel (hot wipe, to be precise), which was a nice surprise. I opted for the pork dish, which was pretty poor. The pork was very mushy/overcooked, and the vegetables tasted bland. Furthermore, the salad was extremely plain and the bread chips in it seemed very stale. However, the fruit and bread were fine. If I were to fly this route again, I would opt for one of the other two options (probably the chicken).

First beverage service with peanuts and pretzels, served immediately after reaching cruise altitude. I opted for apple juice.

Dinner Option #3: Fried pork with General Tso sauce, baby corn, broccoli, and rice served with oriental salad, fresh fruit, and bread

After the dinner items were collected, full-size Dasani water bottles were handed out and the cabin lights were turned off. Most people stayed awake though, since it was about 5pm Seattle time, a little too early to sleep. Another beverage service was offered about two hours later, and the FAs consistently came through the cabin every hour with glasses of water. I always bring a water bottle on flights, but it was definitely not necessary for this flight.

First section of Y cabin, immediately following dinner service before cabin lights were turned off. Notice the number of empty seats (turned off IFE).

I passed the time by watching movies on the IFE. I hadn’t flown internationally in two years and was impressed by Delta’s selection. There was most of the “hot” TV shows (e.g. Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Dexter, etc.) and tons of movies to choose from. Throughout the duration of the flight, I ended up watching Gravity, Thor II, and Ender’s Game. None of them were particularly good, but they were entertaining and helped pass the time.

About seven hours in (roughly halfway through the flight), the cabin lighting was turned back on and the mid-flight snack was served. It consisted of a banana, turkey & cheese sandwich, and two dark chocolate Milano cookies. I rather enjoyed the mid-flight snack and appreciated the banana since they are pretty nutritious. I chose to eat the Milano cookies last so that the taste would linger in my mouth (as opposed to the taste of banana or turkey/cheese). Beverages were offered along with the mid-flight snack, and then the cabin lights were turned off again.

Mid-Flight snack, packaged, with sparkling water.

Mid-flight snack, unpackaged.

About ten hours into the flight, we were flying through China and hit some turbulence just south of Beijing. It was fairly rough for about 45 minutes (FAs had to be seated), but the A332 handled it with grace. I’ve always been a fan of Airbus’ planes, and this A332 did not disappoint. I haven’t flown a 777 in a long time, so can’t compare the A332’s turbulence sensation to the 777, but I am fairly prone to motion sickness and did not feel nauseous at all.

About 1.5 hours prior to landing, the final meal was served. I opted for the first option (beef) and it was quite tasty. The meat wasn’t overcooked and had a good flavor to it, and the vegetables weren’t mushy at all. The fruit, again, tasted fresh and the bread was fine. I didn’t feel like eating the salad, so I can’t comment on that. This meal was far better than the dinner service offered earlier, and was served quite hot.

Pre-Arrival Meal: Gemelli pasta with porcini mushroom sauce, seared beef tenderloin, and roasted vegetable medley. Served with bread, salad, and fresh fruit.

The descent into HKG was smooth and landing/braking was quick with the reverse thrust of the A332’s engines. We taxied to our gate but had to stay on the tarmac for an additional ~10 minutes as there was some traffic backed up as other planes were waiting to takeoff from the runway near our gate. Overall, we were about 5 minutes behind schedule to our gate: not bad for a 14hr11min itinerary that ended up pushing back 15 minutes late. Deplaning began almost immediately after the seatbelt sign was turned off and the immigration lines were <10 minutes.

Overall, I enjoyed this flight with Delta and would definitely fly it again if I were traveling to HKG. The flight time of 13hrs27mins passed by quicker than I expected, and I partially attribute this to the good, frequent service of the FAs and the great IFE selection. Furthermore, the flight was great for MQM since I’m registered for the Seattle double promo. I believe I racked up ~13k MQM and RDM from the flight.

For those of you that are curious, the return flight (DL282) leaves HKG daily at 10:25am local time and arrives in Seattle at 8:24am the same day. I’m flying through NRT on the way back so won’t be able to comment on that flight, but it’s also flown by an A332 and I expect the flight is very similar to DL281.

Last edited by nabilm92; Jul 7, 2014 at 2:16 am
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
Many thanks for sharing.

Sounds as if it was a comfortable flight overall despite the length. And you got the benefit of a decent number of MQMs.

Looks like there were very reasonable food options as well.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I have to say that Delta's Y looks pretty good compared to other US carriers, thanks for the report/pics.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for the great trip report and especially pictures of row 10 in EC as it's confirmed paying the small supplement to book into these seats is definitely worth it. Can't wait until my Feb. escape to HKG over Chinese New Year.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Agreed this intl Y service is actually quite impressive. Im doing a DL status challenge later this year and much of it could end up being intl Y so this is good to see.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:49 pm
Suspended

2-4-2 outlay?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:16 pm

Delta has 2-4-2 eight abreast arrangement on its A330s.

I have to say that Delta has really stepped up its international economy offering, and the foods are comparable to most Asian airlines, and I am happy to see a real mid-flight snack pack with substantial contents.

Thanks for sharing!

Carfield

PS. I just wish Sky Miles is a bit more useful, or else I will have stayed with Delta.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carfield
Delta has 2-4-2 eight abreast arrangement on its A330s.

I have to say that Delta has really stepped up its international economy offering, and the foods are comparable to most Asian airlines, and I am happy to see a real mid-flight snack pack with substantial contents.
Eight abreast is a nice arrangement, considering the horrible eleven abreast (3-5-3) some other airlines have installed or are considering.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ats-on-397207/
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Eight abreast is a nice arrangement, considering the horrible eleven abreast (3-5-3) some other airlines have installed or are considering.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ats-on-397207/
You are comparing apples with oranges, 3-5-3 will not fit on the A330.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:59 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow... Not bad... Comparing to UA, Delta is in a different league...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TPJ
Wow... Not bad... Comparing to UA, Delta is in a different league...
sadly true.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:23 pm

Even a mid-flight snack in Y!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:27 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
interesting TR, never knew the A330 could fly that far away.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Thanks for this report! I'm flying YVR-SEA-ICN and I should hope that my flight experience is similar to yours. Delta seems the least bad of the big 3 USA carriers to fly overseas with in Y.

I'm still debating whether it's worth getting EC+, as I do not have ST status and thus would have to pay $140/leg to get it.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Thanks for this report! I'm flying YVR-SEA-ICN and I should hope that my flight experience is similar to yours. Delta seems the least bad of the big 3 USA carriers to fly overseas with in Y.

I'm still debating whether it's worth getting EC+, as I do not have ST status and thus would have to pay $140/leg to get it.
I paid and thought it was worth it. That said, it might depend on how full your flight is. There were several people sitting in regular Y who had nobody next to them, which is probably just as comfortable as EC (although in a different way). On a full or close-to-full flight, I'd pay, especially if it was for EC bulkhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.