Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Hong Kong: American Airlines Inaugural from DFW to HKG on June 6, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to Hong Kong: American Airlines Inaugural from DFW to HKG on June 6, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent report with lots of great pics. Thanks Carfield.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Stunning report, very enjoyable to read and full of details!
I tried the 77W business class on a TATL flight and I was impressed by the seat (a big step from AA's previous seat) and meals, even if not excellent, better than the ones I had had on other AA services. Inaugural flights are always tough, give AA a bit of time and I'm sure they'll sort out the imperfections.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:42 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hlee628
Looks like a great cabin product overall. Too bad the Chinese food looks a bit too Panda Expressy
To me, it looks that way on domestic Chinese flights too. Either way, I'd rather do without it.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:57 am

Awesome report. This flight is definitely a historical flight for American and HKG.
I agree with you Mandarin is not necessary and the China flag is also not to be stood there as well
By the way, is it a code-shared flight with CX?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Great report. Thanks for sharing!
As a west coast US/AA flyer, doesn't seem like it would be worth my while routing via DFW to asia on AA.

*sigh* I miss *A already.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Awesome! Thanks.

Just wondering, how long does everyone think this route will last? Most travellers would prefer the DFW-PVG route I'm guessing if they are heading to China...

With the DFW-HKG route, the plane sits in HKG for a VERY long time. Unless they tag on a HKG-xxx route, I really can't see how it can survive for long, even with HKG being a OW hub.

And wondering why they didn't use a D28 gate or something of the like for either flight...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
OMG.. i've hooked up with the drummer at DFW a couple times in recent months..LOL.. never expected to actually see him on FT.. This world is so small sometimes.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Great TR. Loved the pics and the write up. I guess AA saved a few hundred bucks providing poor quality and less quantity of meals. Not only AA but DL and UA needs to step up its game to be even considered in the top 20 in terms of service (my ranking).

Thanks for taking it for the team, but based on your TR, I will stick to Asian airlines for now.

BTW, did the main cabin pax have to buy their meals?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Very timely report, as I'm looking to book a trip to HKG later this fall in paid J. I normally would fly CX from LAX, but I like the idea of (hopefully) being able to use a SWU to upgrade to an F suite.

I'm okay that the food won't be CX quality, but the fact AA still refuses to provision a decent Scotch in a premium cabin is very disappointing. I also agree that if AA is going to expand 3-class service from DFW, they need to open a Flagship Lounge. On my last trip to ICN, I bypassed the AC altogether and used the far-superior Amex lounge instead.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:02 pm

Just want to write a quick report on American Airlines’ inaugural flight from Dallas Ft Worth to Hong Kong
Quick report I'll die of old age reading the comprehensive report

Thanks for all the detail/pics
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:11 pm

How are they pricing J/F compared to CX to JFK? I'd imagine AA should be giving a big discount so comparing with CX is not very fair.

This flight is targeted towards connections to Central and South America, which is a completely new market ex-HK. Routing through NY or LA may not be as efficient historically. If they want China connections, they'd fly to PVG instead, not HKG.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Many thanks

Coming back on CX BC couple of months-this gives me good comparison points. Well done!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by socalduck
Very timely report, as I'm looking to book a trip to HKG later this fall in paid J. I normally would fly CX from LAX, but I like the idea of (hopefully) being able to use a SWU to upgrade to an F suite.

I'm okay that the food won't be CX quality, but the fact AA still refuses to provision a decent Scotch in a premium cabin is very disappointing. I also agree that if AA is going to expand 3-class service from DFW, they need to open a Flagship Lounge. On my last trip to ICN, I bypassed the AC altogether and used the far-superior Amex lounge instead.
Yea, the Amex Centurion lounges are hard to beat. The LAS one is pretty awesome too. They've really made the best of the bad situation they were dealt with CO, US and AA dropping out.

Also grateful for the TR, I've got a SFO-DFW-HKG r/t in October, with a SWU cleared to J on the outbound. Happy to see it'll be a good experience!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: aa,starwood
thank you for the clarity and being factual. Great pictures
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:21 pm

How is it that I'm the first person to comment on this? Do drummers just hang around DFW waiting to hook up with people? Is that how he got the drumming gig?

Originally Posted by grahampros
OMG.. i've hooked up with the drummer at DFW a couple times in recent months..LOL.. never expected to actually see him on FT.. This world is so small sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.