Wiki Posts
Search

SQ-Bento Box, VIE-Schnitzels, NYC-Mac Bar and MIA-Tony Roma's - *A RTW in J

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Smile SQ-Bento Box, VIE-Schnitzels, NYC-Mac Bar and MIA-Tony Roma's - *A RTW in J

It has been a while since I started a trip report, although my travels have increased and I am still taking photos (using newer camera) on each trip. Many reasons behind my lack of activities in this forum, but it is never too soon to restart posting again.

There are a few things different in this trip report than other ones I have done:
  • This is not a PHOTO trip report
  • This is an in-progress trip report (all my other ones were post-trip reports)
  • This is joint trip report with another Flyertalker: SAUCflyer, who will be doing the writing and I will do the photos.

SAUCflyer and I had talked about doing a trip together, but it has been difficult to find time that we are both able to it until now. We are able to find the right reasons and the right itineraries to visit Vienna, Miami, New York, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur before heading back to Beijing where we both work as expatriates. After years of flying United, we decided to give UA a rest unless we have absolutely no choice. We started picking airlines we really love to fly. Unfortunately, Turkish and Austrian are not available on the dates we need to travel, so we substitute them with LH and LX (over other availabilities in CA and BR ). UA is part of the itinerary because of the intra-US travels.

I asked SAUCflyer to do the writing because I am too lazy to write and have always more comfortable in using photos to communicate my travels. In addition, SAUCflyer is a much better writer than me!!

The routing and airlines are as follows:

PEK-FRA-VIE(LH)
VIE-ZRH-MIA(LX)
MIA-EWR, JFK-LAX(UA)
LAX-HND(NH)
HND-SIN-KUL(SQ)
KUL-BKK-PEK(TG)

Here we go!

My other photo trip reports can be accessed by click on the titles below:

From Sea to Shining Sea-Land of the Free/United Airlines of America
MBS@SIN, Hyatt@KUL & Pepper Crabs- SQ Intra-Asia Business Cabins
Oh Prague! The Pearl of Europe - More LH Business Class Flying!
I AMsterdam - Walking through the canal City /LH Business Class
Colorlessly Stuck in a *A RTW Time Trap-1st Time on BA ClubWorld
RTW On *A -First Time in Australia- Featuring Brisbane!!
Escape to Paris/Mt.St.Michel via LH/A380(PEK-FRA)/EuroStar(LHR-BRU)/Thayls(BRU-PAR)!
Work Visits in Kuala Lumpur & Singapore-A Galore of SQ Flights!
Glimpse of Niagara Falls and Toronto - Experience Air Canada!
Rainy Night at Union Square! Experience UA & CO Premium Products!
The German Odyssey! Berlin/Mainz/Munich/Neuschwanstein/Rhine River
1st Time in Delhi! Experience 4 Different SQ 777 J Seats/Cabins
Colorlessly Stuck in A Time Trap - Another LH Asia-EU C Trip!
Discover Malta's Past and Present! LH C & 1st Time on Air Malta!
The Macau Differences -Turbojet Across the Mouth of Pearl River!
This is London! - Inaugural LH A380 Frankfurt-Beijing Service!!
Hi Seoul, Soul of Asia! - First time flying Asiana!
The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg:EU-Asia on LH F & 1st time on Lux Air
Shanghai – An Old City with Modern Make-Ups; LH C from EU to Asia!
Guinness, Trinity, Walking around Dublin- Another LH C Trip Report!
Sleepless in Taipei - Cattle Class over Taiwan Strait on CA/CX!
Colorlessly Stuck in a Time Trap - Not Another UA F/C Transpac Trip!
Plaza Mayor/Heldenplatz, MAD/VIE, LH & 1st time on Austrian/Adria Airways!
Time Square Loses its Colors...Not Just Another UA Trip Report!
Godiva, Neuhaus - Sweeties of Brussels, LH/KA C, CX Wing & SAS Lounge
iPhone Photo Report:PEK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-PEK on LH/LX Business Class
Round-the World on UA (new F Suite), SQ A380/77W (Business), LH 744 (Business) and BD A320 (Business)

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 22, 2014 at 4:43 am
Old May 23, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pre-Departure @ PEK 1 of 2

May 22, 2014

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 23, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Old May 23, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Gold
Beijing Capital International Airport

This year (2014) Beijing Capital International Airport overtook Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to become the busiest airport in the world in terms of passenger throughput (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...014_statistics). The airport registered 557,167 aircraft movements (take-offs and landings); it only ranked 6th in the world 2 years ago (2012)!

I felt this when going through security screening and checks. It was around 9am on Thursday morning. The customs area was packed and it is foreseeable that they may be running out of space very quickly. Authorities have announced the planned building of the second Beijing Capital International Airport at a cost of $11.2 billion. Work is anticipated to start as early as July 2014. The airport will be in the Daxing District about 46 km (29 mi) south of city center with projected completion date in 2018. Little doubt the new facilities will be bigger and better ...charecteristic Chinese-style!

Last edited by SAUCflyer; Jun 7, 2014 at 5:39 pm
Old May 23, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pre-Departure @ PEK 2 of 2

May 22, 2014

Old May 23, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May 22, 2014 PEK-FRA 1 of 3

Old May 23, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May 22, 2014 PEK-FRA 2 of 3

Old May 23, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May 22, 2014 PEK-FRA 3 of 3

Old May 23, 2014, 4:25 pm

PEK-FRA on Lufthansa

I noticed Lufthansa had paid attention to "customizing for China". The aircraft was named after the city of Beijing and the menu had been designed by chefs from the Ritz Carlton Shanghai. I'm unaware if they also do this for other countries but it was a good distinguishing mark for me.

The seat lighting was a standout too. It featured a row of 2 separate lightings for each seat allowing the passenger to light up different sections of the seat as desired which provided a good touch to the experience...even better if one's taking pictures!

The seat however fared less favorably with me. On full recline, the angle was uncomfortable and my back hurt after a few hours of sleep. The pillow is of a good size and appeared to be filled with duck-down which is a nice touch but it was so thin and quickly collapsed into a seemingly flat file of fabric when one slept on it. UA_Flyer commented the amenity kit seemed relatively "bare bones", I tend to agree but I do not normally have high expectations when it comes to amenity kits. Another "oddity": UA_Flyer and I had different headsets (the headsets were inbuilt in the arm rest).

Meal service was methodical and consistent. I ordered the roast chicken breast for my appetizers and beef cheek with potato gnocchi for my main course. The portioning was generous and both meats cooked well, only the gnocchi tasted "old'. Overall, I enjoyed my meal.

A small mishap happened during the second meal service. The attendant asked if I wanted hot or cold selection and said the cold selection (which I wanted) was shrimp. I said the menu listed duck pastrami but he repeated that it was shrimp. I asked for it anyway and it turned out it was duck. Nonetheless the serving was generous, well presented and tasty.

Last edited by SAUCflyer; Jun 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm
Old May 23, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May 22, 2014 Transit at FRA

Old May 26, 2014, 5:09 am

Frankfurt airport transit

Frankfurt airport transit

It was a quick transit but we managed to sneak in 15mins at the lounge. Always enjoy the quick snack of a hot dog, comfort food for the traveller, delicious and no fuss. The lounge was quite busy but it wasn't chaotic; not exactly easy to acheive this so well-deserved thumbs up!

It was a long walk for us to the gates. For as long as I can remember, my transits in Frankfurt have seemed to frequently require a short marathon to the gates! This is a key downside for me when it comes to transitting at Frankfurt airport.

Last edited by SAUCflyer; May 26, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May 22 FRA-VIE 1 of 2

Old May 27, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

May 22 FRA-VIE 2 of 2

Old May 27, 2014, 8:27 pm

May 22, LH FRA-VIE

FRA-VIE on Lufthansa

The Frankfurt-Vienna flight was a delight. Inflight service was delivered like clockwork throughout the 1hr-ish flight. The menu featured white asparagus salad. It appears that it is a Lufthansa tradition to bring the white asparagus season on board. I thought it was a nice touch and refreshing. However, what really pleased me was that we were served warm bread! This happens so infrequently (regardless of airlines) although probably not such a difficult thing to do since hot meals are served. I have to admit this is a personal favorite and when airlines "get it", they score well with me!

Last edited by SAUCflyer; Jun 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hilton Vienna Danube 1 of 3

Old May 29, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Welcome back, UA_Flyer!

I flew that exact a380 in J from FRA-IAH on the way home from SIN Do back in January! It was a substitution for the original aircraft, which had gone MX. The food on your flight looks leaps and bounds better than what was served on mine.

Really looking forward to the rest of the report. Terrific start--thank you both! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.