Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ-Bento Box, VIE-Schnitzels, NYC-Mac Bar and MIA-Tony Roma's - *A RTW in J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
UA Flyer welcome back!! And greetings to SAUCflyer!

You certainly set the gold standard in air travel photography; certainly among the best in the forum.

In other observations, I can't believe they still offer the "Great Wall of China" wines in the PEK lounges.
Thanks worldtraveller73! I am glad that UA_Flyer invited me to contribute to this TR. New experience for me and I certainly hope I live up to the standards he has upheld!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Zurich to Miami 2 of 3

Zurich to Miami on May 25

Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
UA Flyer welcome back!! And greetings to SAUCflyer!

You certainly set the gold standard in air travel photography; certainly among the best in the forum.

In other observations, I can't believe they still offer the "Great Wall of China" wines in the PEK lounges.
Thanks very much for your comments.

I am a little rusty on posting trip reports after a long hiatus. For a start, I am doing almost no photo editing except for cropping and framing.

Hopefully I can do a better job with timely posting of updates.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Zurich to Miami 3 of 3

Zurich to Miami on May 25

Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:04 pm

ZRH to MIA on Swiss Air

There were seat labeled hangers which were held in the magazine rack in front of the seats and ready to go when passengers boarded the plane.I thought this was a good idea as attendants then did not have to ask passengers for their boarding passes like some airlines do. However I thought that they should have collected the unused hangers after taking off as opposed to leaving them in the racks during the flight so they did not get in the way.

I enjoyed my meal. UA_Flyer indicated he did too. The main dish was well-cooked. I had chicken cordon bleu which tasted good. For as far as I can recall, this is the first time chicken cordon bleu featured on an inflight menu so thumbs up ^ for the creativity. Its a breath of fresh air to "beef/chicken, potatoes and vegs" (disguised under different descriptions on menus of course!).

We noticed that the second meal service served prior to arrival was simply indicated as "light meal" - meant to be a surprise perhaps?!

The speciality tea box deserves a special mention; we let out a "wow" when the attendant offer for us to pick from a selection of teas (thanks to UA_Flyer for being alert and capturing a photo of it when the attendent whisked it out infront of us!).

I also shouldn't forget to mention that service was warm and friendly too. Overall the flight was a commendable experience. I give medium rating to the comfort of the seat relative to my experiences on other airlines including UA and SQ.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:24 pm

ZRH to MIA on Swiss Air (cont.)

Adding this to my report for completeness. UA_Flyer reminded me that they had ran out of the fish choice. We were sitted in the last row but overheard the flight attendent informing the passengers a couple of rows before us. Had planned to order the fish initially but went with chicken instead; blessing in disguish perhaps since the chicken turned out to be a good choice.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tony Roma's

Tony Roma's is not just another chain restaurant to me. It is home.

Tony Roma's started in North Miami next to the railroad track off US-1 (Biscayne Blvd) in North Miami. I lived about 5 minutes away by car for period of time, but I also worked in a location that is within walking distance from Tony Roma's when I was in college.

Love the babyback ribs served in the original Tony Roma's restaurant. It was a fun place to be and also hearing the trains passing by while we ate. Great memories. Every once a while I do come across Tony Roma's in my travel around the world, it reminds of home and my youthful days.

Unfortunately, the original Tony Roma's next to the railroad has long been gone and the ribs don't taste the same, but the original juicy baby back rib taste still lingers in my memory!

Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:03 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
It's always a pleasure to see one of your reports UA_Flyer, especially this one paired perfectly with the narratives from SAUCflyer.

Thank you both for this fantastic report. ^
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:00 pm

Tony Roma's Miami

Tony Roma's has always had a special place in my heart. When I was a young teenager I had my first meal at a Tony Roma's in Anaheim (just close by Disneyland). It was a really lovely experience and till today I think well of the restaurant.

I remember how I was so overwhelmed by the humongous bowl of salad and platter filled with slabs of ribs, chicken, corn-on-cob etc as a young teenager then. This is how I remember Tony Roma's even today.

UA_Flyer said since we are in the birthplace of Tony Roma's (unknown to me!) we should go to one and so we did! We feast on a full slab of original ribs, a half roast chicken and bacon mac and cheese. They still do great ribs! We decided we will push our gastronomic boundaries and make a killing by ordering more - a Tony slab of St. Louis ribs and more mac and cheese. It killed us!

Lovely experience for me overall and some recollections of the younger days gone by!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aw
It's always a pleasure to see one of your reports UA_Flyer, especially this one paired perfectly with the narratives from SAUCflyer.

Thank you both for this fantastic report. ^
Hi aw!

Good hearing from you too! Where is your next TR?

Photos of your favorite cuban pastelitos will be up soon in this report!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 13, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Miami International Airport

Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:57 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I will be looking forward to those.

Just came back from TXL and you know where to find me now.

Last edited by aw; Jun 13, 2014 at 11:13 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Versailles-Miami International Airport

From Versailles website:
Versailles Restaurant, The World’s Most Famous Cuban Restaurant, has been serving tasty Cuban cuisine and culture to the South Florida community and tourists from around the world for four decades. Soon after it opened its doors in 1971, Versailles quickly became the gathering place and unofficial town square for Miami’s Cuban exiles. Today, it remains the unrelenting gauge of the community’s pulse. Not surprisingly, Versailles is typically the first place politicians visit locally to garner support from the Cuban exile community, and the restaurant is equally a favorite among the media for gathering commentary and footage of the community’s take on social and political issues. It is not uncommon to see local, national and international media set up camp in Versailles’ parking lot, where they’re sure to get a flood of local viewpoints.

Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Walking Down Memory Lane Through the Walkway of Concourse G

Concourse F - Former Pan AM and UA Concourse (during the peak of both Airlines operations at MIA)

Concourse G - Currently housing UA. Former home of TWA and Northwest

Jackie Gleason - The Great One (I waited on him while I was working in a steak house in Fort Lauderdale while in college

JFK (watching an Orange Bowl Game)

Joseph Kennedy (Father of JFK and first chairman of US Securities and Exchange Commission)

Dick Clark

Celina Cruz

Ernest Hemingway - One of the greatest American Authors

Martin Luther King Jr.

Orange Bowl (Hosted several earlier Super Bowl and Former home of the University of Miami Hurricanes - my alma mater)

Winston Churchhill

Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:48 pm

Cafe Versailles - Miami International Airport

When time permits, going through Miami International Airport would command a stop by the famous Cuban Cafe Versailles (http://www.versaillesrestaurant.com/) to get a fix of Cafe Con Leche (coffee and milk) and Cuban pastries (meat, guava or guava and cheese – we got the latter two this time).

The pastry skin is delightfully light and flaky. The guava filling is full of favor retaining the taste of the fruit in its entirety. The coffee is velvety rich and wholesome with a nutty aroma. Simple goodness, simplemente delicioso!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.