Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

Old May 11, 2014, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Hi everyone, some updates:

US Airways Envoy Suites journey is on Saturday. Routing is FLL-PHL-MCO. Stay tuned! Aircraft is an A330-200.

Also on the same day I'm going to try out American Airlines angle-flat business class with the routing of MCO-MIA, which will be a separate thread.

I'm looking into doing Alaskan First Class FLL-SEA-FLL but cannot seem to find a same day routing. Price R/T seems to vary between $700 up to $900 same day.

Virgin America is still on the cards, just need to find a routing that isn't $1,800 roundtrip...
Old May 11, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LPDAL

US Airways Envoy Suites journey is on Saturday. Routing is FLL-PHL-MCO. Stay tuned! Aircraft is an A330-200.

Also on the same day I'm going to try out American Airlines angle-flat business class with the routing of MCO-MIA, which will be a separate thread.

I'm looking into doing Alaskan First Class FLL-SEA-FLL but cannot seem to find a same day routing. Price R/T seems to vary between $700 up to $900 same day.

Virgin America is still on the cards, just need to find a routing that isn't $1,800 roundtrip...
Same day FLL - SEA - FLL is not possible on AS.

FLL - SEA: 6:25pm - 10:00pm
SEA - FLL: 8:40am - 5:23pm

The plane originates in SEA and there is no overnight in FLL. So you will need to do an overnight in SEA.
Old May 11, 2014, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Same day FLL - SEA - FLL is not possible on AS.

FLL - SEA: 6:25pm - 10:00pm
SEA - FLL: 8:40am - 5:23pm

The plane originates in SEA and there is no overnight in FLL. So you will need to do an overnight in SEA.
Okay, so I will do one way Alaska F and one way Delta F (with stops of course). Looks like one way SEA-FLL is $500-$600 on Delta. May not be possible but I'm keeping my head high...
Old May 11, 2014, 7:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Is there any reason you don't want to spend any time in Seattle? Even a day would be worth it...it's a really fun city.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:22 am

VX paid F always prices out crazy. Just get a cheap economy fare at an obscure time (not popular with business people) and look to see that F is pretty empty. Then at T-6 hours before takeoff go online and upgrade the fare (if the flight is at like 8 AM this is to your advantage since not as many people will want to get up at 2 AM to do this). I've done it before with a $150 IAD-SFO leg.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Great TR! Your enthusiasm is infectious. My college a cappella group did a lot of touring, and back in the days of plentiful op-ups I got moved to int'l J several times. It felt glamorous as could be!

I'm on UA 752s all the time now between SFO and BOS, often in F since I try to fly at awkward times in order to secure CPUs. I don't mind the food as much as some here, and the service has consistently been really good. My only quibbles are the poor legroom in F -- those underseat electronics really get in the way -- and the lack of wifi. It can be a nearly seven-hour flight westward if headwinds are strong.

Oh, and one last thing: never tip the desk agents at the lounge, only the bartender. In fact it's only customary if you get an alcoholic beverage, something you won't have to worry about for a few years. The desk agents are professionals, and shouldn't have accepted a tip even if offered. No harm done though!
Old May 12, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Just to give you the heads up, FLL - PHL doesn't get a meal service (just an enhanced snack basket with small finger sandwiches) while MIA - PHL does. If you can, try to switch to MIA so that you experience US Airways' new F meal service (before the AA merger, meals were served only on flights over 3.5 hours).

The US A332s are very nice up front.

AS F, for me, is a big let down these days.

I certainly wouldn't pay $1,800 for VX F, though it is an excellent product. Usually, they run F specials during the summer and you can get F one-way for about $650.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Thanks for posting your TR. I too really enjoyed flights on the B757's throughout the many years they've been flying, and I'll miss their rocket-like takeoffs and fast climbs when they're all finally gone. Most of my flights on the -57's were on the AA aircraft, but we (my wife and I) always found them to be comfortable planes, no matter where they took us, but that was before more seats were crammed into the aircraft, decreasing the pitch for those of us in the back. One flight from a while back on AA took us from DFW to YYZ at a cruise altitude of 41,000 feet, according to the pilot, and it was just as comfortable at that height as flying at 35/37,000 feet.

We'll miss them when they're gone, with nothing with that distinctive droopy nose and stilt-like landing gear and the rocket takeoff being apparantly on the horizon. We may yet be on one in the fall, if they're still flying on the UA EWR-LHR route, and I wonder what they'll replace the B757 with for the EWR-BFS and other lightly flown routes in the future.

Thanks for your trip report. Brought back some fond memories.

bj-21.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Oh for F's sake, cut him some slack. Maybe he just wanted a certain angle on a 757 with United paint on it. Yes, I immediately see the registration and the RR engine logo, but so what? He never said --> this is a picture of United Boeing 752 from PMUA.
Did a search for this recently, and not really, there's a bias here. Crossing out the CO signs at FLL via a marker and stating some rhetoric along the lines of "Oh I miss them!" is wrong. It should've been labeled as straight up unprofessional and sloppy to do in a merger transition. Same deal with the gate branding at FLL.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
LPDAL I miss your trip reports. Would love to see some more. Hope you are well!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

MatthewLAX

You wouldnt be the only person wondering where I went.

I have been an AA fleet service agent @ MIA since November 2015, almost 7 years now, and just recently got upgraded to full timeI also moved out of my parents house, got my own townhouse with no mortgage, and also my own sports car (2019 MINI Convertible S). Im making excellent money as a unionized ramper, but Im still going to school to be an aircraft mechanic.

I also believe Ive found the love of my life, who is a F9 flight attendant herself. About her, lets just say.I have a very strong feeling, one Ive never felt before, that wedding bells will be ringing in the not too distant future.

So to answer your question, yes, I am doing very well for myself. Thanks for asking!
MatthewLAX and N830MH like this.

Last edited by LPDAL; Feb 16, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
MatthewLAX

You wouldn’t be the only person wondering where I went.

I have been an AA fleet service agent @ MIA since November 2015, almost 7 years now, and just recently got upgraded to full time…I also moved out of my parent’s house, got my own townhouse with no mortgage, and also my own sports car (2019 MINI Convertible S). I’m making excellent money as a unionized ramper, but I’m still going to school to be an aircraft mechanic.

I also believe I’ve found the love of my life, who is a F9 flight attendant herself. About her, let’s just say….I have a very strong feeling, one I’ve never felt before, that wedding bells will be ringing in the not too distant future.

So to answer your question, yes, I am doing very well for myself. Thanks for asking!
Thanks for the update!

So glad to hear you are doing well.

I'm just coming up on my 8th wedding anniversary...marriage is hard work, but it's worthwhile! I recommend it.

Congrats on the townhouse, the job, and (hopefully) your future spouse! Enjoy those flight benefits!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
That F9 FA is all over TikTok
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
That F9 FA is all over TikTok
Yes, she enjoys TT very much, and shes even making a tiny amount of money from it. Im happy for her, as always.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yo MatthewLAX! What's up with that?? Hope you are doing well. I'm flying to BSL on Sunday morning. See you soon!
MatthewLAX likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.