Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum One, Hilton Honors Diamond, Oneworld Emerald
I really enjoyed reading your report and am glad you enjoyed it and took the time to provide great detail. Your enthusiasm for aircraft and air travel really shines through.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by LPDAL

MIA is a $100 cab fare from my house and gas is probably more. The purpose of the trip was to ride on United.
VX only flies from FLL and has a stronger F product.

You can do GoShuttle from FLL--only $23 to MIA airport.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
VX only flies from FLL and has a stronger F product.

You can do GoShuttle from FLL--only $23 to MIA airport.
You just showed him, yet again, he'll now go get in his time machine and go back in time and take the superior trip you so altruistically explained to him
Old May 8, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Very detailed and excellent reporting! It's cool to see that there are some more young aviation nuts out there besides me haha

I look forward to hearing what you think about the US F product as that's what I fly most often (being a US CP after all). I've flown the Envoy suites a couple times coming to/from England and think it's a great hard product, especially for a US carrier. It may be spartan compared to Bling Air (Emirates) but I think its' very functional.

As far as people's criticisms go, pay them no heed, it's refreshing to see someone so excited about a Domestic F flight on UA. To me, it just seems like you're enjoying the flying experience as a whole, and that's something you should never hope to lose
Old May 8, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Still curious as to why there is a PMCO with RB211s when this is clearly an homage to the PMUA 757.

One of OP's cited sources is flightstats.com, which clearly has engine models listed.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I remember my first ride up front. DFW-DCA in an AA 738, surrounded by bored, grumpy businessmen who probably do the trip 100 times a year. At the time, it had to have been better than anything from CX, SQ, or LH because it was new and exciting to me! Ignore the negativity and have fun with it! Before you know it, it will all be old news to you and you'll be one of these cranks on FT complaining about the folding of napkins in international F or whatever .
I remember being bumped up to biz due to overbooking when I was sophomore in college (19yo) on CO for a 3 hr flight back to school. I recall a nice salad and a tasty alfredo sauce pasta (I can still taste it in my head as I think of it now). Granted, food in biz in the 90's was probably better, but at that moment, I felt like I was king of the world dining on the finest food known to man. And even the most opulent long haul premium cabin travel today never tops how awesome life was for me those three hours that day.

If we could all have the opportunity to relive the OPs youthful exuberance and embrace of new experiences, we'd all be much happier people. Bravo on your trip report and keep them coming!

btw I think the "MD-11" is a DC-10. No split winglet.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Still curious as to why there is a PMCO with RB211s when this is clearly an homage to the PMUA 757.

One of OP's cited sources is flightstats.com, which clearly has engine models listed.
Oh for F's sake, cut him some slack. Maybe he just wanted a certain angle on a 757 with United paint on it. Yes, I immediately see the registration and the RR engine logo, but so what? He never said --> this is a picture of United Boeing 752 from PMUA.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
You just showed him, yet again, he'll now go get in his time machine and go back in time and take the superior trip you so altruistically explained to him
While this poster's original post to this thread was quite needlessly mean, the one you quote is in fact rather useful. The OP has stated an intent to fly all domestic F products and has mentioned limited funds. Getting a cheap VX base fare to wherever and then paying the upgrade fee ($299 to the west coast) is an easy and uncomplicated way to experience what is a very good domestic F product. And, a cheap shuttle to MIA opens up more options for OP to experience different airlines.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Oh for F's sake, cut him some slack. Maybe he just wanted a certain angle on a 757 with United paint on it. Yes, I immediately see the registration and the RR engine logo, but so what? He never said --> this is a picture of United Boeing 752 from PMUA.
^ Seriously.

Good grief, it is not that important. I see inaccuracies and minor hiccups in the vaunted SQ, BA, CX, etc., reports all the time (reports which, by the way, have become repetitive and, frankly, largely boring with a few exceptions), and nobody nitpicks to this extent in those threads.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Come on...

OP's TR adds vastly more to the FT community than your belittling commentary. Especially as the 757 is retired, it's nice to have the plane memorialized in such a fashion. We're all fan boys in some way - if you don't appreciate it, no need to comment. Simple as that.
^^

Originally Posted by zcat18
Exactly what is there to "doubt" about the trip report? I didn't realize that it's now against FT's terms of service to enjoy United's breakfast offering. Also, if your post is serious, then you have severely missed the point of the OP's report. Based on the evidence from this and previous reports from this particular poster, it is likely that he is a high school or college student living at home, not a jetsetting retiree, business traveler, or FT regular with the time or even the ability to churn cards or take multiple major trips per year. He has posted numerous other reports of day-trips, where he samples such mundane-to-most-FT'ers products like FL (AirTran) "business class," Delta short-haul F, etc. He finds the good in all of them, unlike many jaded FT'ers might. This poster is very clearly not a frequent flyer of longhaul premium products on top airlines, but he has a passion for airlines and airplanes and engages it within his means. I applaud and appreciate that, and it is a shame that others here have passed such harsh judgment--and for what? Because the OP refreshingly doesn't fit the mold of the typical cynical FT'er?

Just because the OP does not share your opinion--even a majority of posters' opinions--does not mean that his opinion is invalid.

To the OP: keep doing what you're doing! Most of us greatly appreciate your hard work and refreshingly positive perspective.
^^

Really bad form by you to say all this. I remember being 17, paying $50 to upgrade DFW-STL on AA and thinking service was equal to or greater than anything CX could have offered. We all get jaded as we get older, why rush along the OP's process? It's also his money and he has the right to do with what he wishes when it comes to his travel. Also, as the trip is now over, telling him what he could have spent it on that is in your opinion better is pointless unless he has a time machine we don't know about.

The OP took his time to write a comprehensive, thorough report. He posted a lot of pictures, injected enthusiasm and gave a well rounded report. We should be praising him and maybe offering some constructive criticism of "maybe next time you could think of..." rather than insulting him.

Well said. And I will agree, OP, keep doing what you're doing. You're young with your whole life ahead of you, that's the time to day trip and enjoy every second of it.
^^

Originally Posted by exmike
I remember being bumped up to biz due to overbooking when I was sophomore in college (19yo) on CO for a 3 hr flight back to school. I recall a nice salad and a tasty alfredo sauce pasta (I can still taste it in my head as I think of it now). Granted, food in biz in the 90's was probably better, but at that moment, I felt like I was king of the world dining on the finest food known to man. And even the most opulent long haul premium cabin travel today never tops how awesome life was for me those three hours that day.

If we could all have the opportunity to relive the OPs youthful exuberance and embrace of new experiences, we'd all be much happier people. Bravo on your trip report and keep them coming!

btw I think the "MD-11" is a DC-10. No split winglet.
^^^^

Thanks for taking me back to a time in my life when flying up front felt special. I hope you don't lose that feeling--there really is no better way to fly.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I particularly enjoyed the photos entering and exciting the cities. I also recognize your first ORD UC as one where I burned 25% of my Amex Platinum airline fee credit back a couple years ago. I drank just enough jack and cokes to survive my next flight. ORD is a terrible airport to be stuck in the actual terminal due to the lack of stuff to do and lack of seating, as I did on a weekly basis for 3 months thanks to work.
Old May 10, 2014, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Hey guys and thanks for all the replies ,

Looking into flights into IAD I found a great deal in First Class, but not that, the routing includes the entire Bombardier Q Series Family: Q200, Q300, and the only turboprop with first class in America: Q400! Routing would be FLL-IAD-EWR-ROC-EWR-FLL in First Class. Does anyone think that would be interesting?

-LPDAL
Old May 11, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know, VX should seriously pay me some commission.
Old May 11, 2014, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Hey guys and thanks for all the replies ,

Looking into flights into IAD I found a great deal in First Class, but not that, the routing includes the entire Bombardier Q Series Family: Q200, Q300, and the only turboprop with first class in America: Q400! Routing would be FLL-IAD-EWR-ROC-EWR-FLL in First Class. Does anyone think that would be interesting?

-LPDAL
Depends on what you value. The only lavatory on the Q400 is in the front so the F cabin constantly suffers from economy traffic and because the only galleys are in the back, in most cases the cabin crew will only do one drink service; even if you ask for a refill, it will take them a while because they have to walk all the way to the back to get it. There is also no glassware or anything typical of an F product.

But, if you are determined to do it, perhaps you should also consider BTV which also gets 2-class Q400s. Vermont is stunningly beautiful.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by zcat18
Exactly what is there to "doubt" about the trip report? I didn't realize that it's now against FT's terms of service to enjoy United's breakfast offering. Also, if your post is serious, then you have severely missed the point of the OP's report. Based on the evidence from this and previous reports from this particular poster, it is likely that he is a high school or college student living at home, not a jetsetting retiree, business traveler, or FT regular with the time or even the ability to churn cards or take multiple major trips per year. He has posted numerous other reports of day-trips, where he samples such mundane-to-most-FT'ers products like FL (AirTran) "business class," Delta short-haul F, etc. He finds the good in all of them, unlike many jaded FT'ers might. This poster is very clearly not a frequent flyer of longhaul premium products on top airlines, but he has a passion for airlines and airplanes and engages it within his means. I applaud and appreciate that, and it is a shame that others here have passed such harsh judgment--and for what? Because the OP refreshingly doesn't fit the mold of the typical cynical FT'er?

Just because the OP does not share your opinion--even a majority of posters' opinions--does not mean that his opinion is invalid.

To the OP: keep doing what you're doing! Most of us greatly appreciate your hard work and refreshingly positive perspective.
Preach on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.