Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Iran

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Smile

Thank you for posting your trip report. You really got to a lot of places and going by car was certainly the right way to do it and see as much as can. Being in Dubai you are only a short hop from there. Lots of flight choices into Iran from Dubai or Sharjah or Abu Dhabi. I would go all the time if I was in Dubai, UAE or Bahrain. Many Iranians living in the UAE including Emirates airlines pilots and Captains!

I wanted to fly on the Iran Air 747SP so I spent 3 days/2 nights in Tehran before going on the flight.

Getting my visa on arrival was somewhat a long and painful process. I had come on Turkish Airlines from LHR via Istanbul with long delays. I arrived at IKIA middle of the night. The immigration police had me waiting 3 hours in a somewhat deserted hall to do the visa. They took off with my passport and my e-ticket not to see them again until they came back.

There was three other people waiting, a Filipina she was trying to get into Iran to work. I understand she was refused the visa and sent back on the next flight to Dubai where she came from. Also two American businessmen waiting to have their visas checked on. They waited a long time to get out.

I finally got my visa on arrival. They came back with my passport and the sticker. I was charged 60 Euros for a 4 days visa. Just enough for my stay no more no less.

I did not need a guide. I was on my own. I had booked a hotel through a travel agent online. The neighborhood was good. The hotel much less so but it was for two nights so I was OK.

Being in the city was great. The weather was good. I had pre-printed lots of detailed maps from Google with all the places I wanted to see, street names, metro stations, everything. I used public transport only. I wanted to mix with the crowds. A lot of walking, long distances.

I found Tehran to be extremely safe. Great food, great ice cream and pastries. I was out til late in the night without any problem. Riding in the woman's metro cars was good fun. The metro is fast, clean, efficient, easy to understand. I went to the main Bazar and also to Tajrish Bazar. I did not do much shopping I wanted to travel light for the rest of my trip.

There are great things to buy though. Very nice made in Iran quality. I will think about it for my next visit. I am going to do another 747SP run with Iran Air before the one and only passenger flying SP is definitely taken out of service possibly on the last/final flight if I can.

I like your pictures. They remind me of my time there. The locals are really nice, very curious of foreigners. I found most foreign visitors travel in groups, very few individual travellers.

I definitely want to go back and spend more time.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel K
I love reading your TRs and seeing the pictures. The places you go are fascinating and show a very different perspective then we get in the (US) mass media. Thank you for taking the time to post them all!
Thanks you, Travel K. Yes, we often only get the 'bad' viewpoint on Iran from TV etc. I was really amazed at how 'normal' it was though, and especially how welcoming and friendly the people were.

Originally Posted by CDG1
Thank you for posting your trip report. You really got to a lot of places and going by car was certainly the right way to do it and see as much as can.

I wanted to fly on the Iran Air 747SP so I spent 3 days/2 nights in Tehran before going on the flight.
Many thanks, CDG1. Would love to take a flight on an Iran Air 747SP too. The 747's are getting quite rare these days, so to take a trip on a 747SP would be quite the experience!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The pictures are stunning. Iran looks interesting and beautiful in many of the pics.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The pictures are stunning. Iran looks interesting and beautiful in many of the pics.
Thank you, Annalisa12. Iran should be on every FT'ers bucket list!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I grew up devouring every National Geographic magazine I could get my hands on. Your trip report and photographs blow away anything I've ever read or seen about Iran. Really, really outstanding. Thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: travel
Hi
I also agree that Pars Tourist Agency (key2persia.com) is a very good Agency for Incoming Tourism based in Iran. they are multilingual Team and support you well during your trip in Iran. They also can manage for flight, train, car, hotel and any help you need as a tourist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.