Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The beginning of the end. HKG-HND-FRA-NRT-HKG. CX F (744) & JL F (77W-SS7)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

The beginning of the end. or is it the end?

Sorry peeps, Photos first, text coming on (as opposed to my other ongoing TR)

12 Apr 2014
CX548 Hong Kong - Tokyo Haneda
Seat 1K

HKIA First Checkin Area - 2nd time I've used it. Wheeeeeeee!

Met lch.chester in the Haven. Conversation was so nice there was some certain stuff I forgot to do there!

AND i forgot about boarding photos

THE left turn

I was one of the last - Looking back

or

The seat (missing)[IMG][/IMG]

My leg/ottoman with the seatbelt for seatmate

Shows sign of aging... general problems of a 744.

Plughole with windows :P and AESOP Products!

and if you want the plughole....

mood lights - didnt find them THAT interesting...

And if you were wondering, here is the food!

Fresh seasonal fruit

Dim sum with chilli sauce

Anqi supreme Ti Guan Yin

for the rest of the flight i've just been doing one fine IFE in all skies (mainly on Leslie Cheung)

Shades down to keep me cool in the suite

Arrive Tokyo in no time after a short chat with the First Class FA after she asked me how was the breakfast. As much of a foodie as I am, I complained about the lack of Japanese options. I guess that's a fair enough answer - since all the other flights (starting from CX504 that departs an hour later has the Kaseiki meal) has a Japanese option.

Hum.... buhbyes B-HUI. Will I see you again?

12 Apr 2014
JL125 Tokyo Haneda - Osaka Itami
Seat 8C (changed to 5C)

Since a TYO-OSA tag on on a HKG-TYO-HKG ticket is free, and for my other ticket to Europe has a 2-stop option in Japan (which i took advantage of it to fly GMP-(o)KIX/ITM-xNRT-oFRA-oNRT-ICN for better EQM (or EQF to be exact) AND it's the cheapest way for me to get to ITM from HKG, I'm flying to Osaka from Haneda to catch my ITM-NRT on the next day.

With my status I would have priority bags, but since class-J has a better seat and vegetable juice as compared to Economy, I said buh-byes to 1000 yen to get my class-J upgrade…. and can get off before all the people in Economy.
Also, at the same time I've moved my flight forward from 16:30 (JL127) because the MCT for CX intl-JL dom in HND is a 120 minutes (which, in reality, does not matter what airline you're from since you need to claim bags and clear customs anyway). I was at the domestic terminal at 14:30 checking in after retrieving my bags and taking the oh so confusing shuttle bus. From the Intl terminal, we stopped at the ANA terminal first before the JAL one.

As a Sapphire member, i could use the JGC counters, and use the domestic Sakura lounge - no food is offered. there's milk, beer, whisky, juices and soda. For nibbles there's crackers.

Before popping onto the flight, I went to a stand-up sushi bar for a couple pieces of sushi so I wont be starving. The sushi bar is just across the gate (gate 12).

Plane is here - they have First class service on the flight! (You want a reference photo? here you go. it's from a previous trip which i wasn't planning on a TR so this is the only pic i have. hang around my TRs and if I make Premier this year I will get F vouchers!)

At 15:15, boarding started for children, elderly and Diamonds. Shortly after was general boarding. As usual, (since i only have 1 bag) i waited till last minute to board.

Legroom shot - I'm 5'7". Ample space for first row in class J.

I fell into a nap before taking off and when i woke up we were over Osaka

Osaka Castle. One of the easier locations to spot… unless you want something boring like the Osaka Station complex.

Welcome to Itami - "Osaka International Airport" as it is officially called even tho there are no longer any Intl flights since they all moved to KIX.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by kaka; Apr 22, 2014 at 1:08 am
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: CX DM
Very looking forward to the rest.

Surely you meant the LEFT turn ?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
looking good so far. Looking forward to reading the rest
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
You might wanna readjust the thread title to HKG-HND-....
Nice report thus far, keep it up !
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Nice start! Looking forward to the rest.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

good job spotting my mistakes! surely that was from overeating!!!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Flight 2/6 is updated!

12 Apr 2014
JL125 Tokyo Haneda - Osaka Itami
Seat 8C (changed to 5C)

Since a TYO-OSA tag on on a HKG-TYO-HKG ticket is free, and for my other ticket to Europe has a 2-stop option in Japan (which i took advantage of it to fly GMP-(o)KIX/ITM-xNRT-oFRA-oNRT-ICN for better EQM (or EQF to be exact) AND it's the cheapest way for me to get to ITM from HKG, I'm flying to Osaka from Haneda to catch my ITM-NRT on the next day.

With my status I would have priority bags, but since class-J has a better seat and vegetable juice as compared to Economy, I said buh-byes to 1000 yen to get my class-J upgrade…. and can get off before all the people in Economy.
Also, at the same time I've moved my flight forward from 16:30 (JL127) because the MCT for CX intl-JL dom in HND is a 120 minutes (which, in reality, does not matter what airline you're from since you need to claim bags and clear customs anyway). I was at the domestic terminal at 14:30 checking in after retrieving my bags and taking the oh so confusing shuttle bus. From the Intl terminal, we stopped at the ANA terminal first before the JAL one.

As a Sapphire member, i could use the JGC counters, and use the domestic Sakura lounge - no food is offered. there's milk, beer, whisky, juices and soda. For nibbles there's crackers.

Before popping onto the flight, I went to a stand-up sushi bar for a couple pieces of sushi so I wont be starving. The sushi bar is just across the gate (gate 12).

Plane is here - they have First class service on the flight! (You want a reference photo? here you go. it's from a previous trip which i wasn't planning on a TR so this is the only pic i have. hang around my TRs and if I make Premier this year I will get F vouchers!)

At 15:15, boarding started for children, elderly and Diamonds. Shortly after was general boarding. As usual, (since i only have 1 bag) i waited till last minute to board.

Legroom shot - I'm 5'7". Ample space for first row in class J.

I fell into a nap before taking off and when i woke up we were over Osaka

Osaka Castle. One of the easier locations to spot… unless you want something boring like the Osaka Station complex.

Welcome to Itami - "Osaka International Airport" as it is officially called even tho there are no longer any Intl flights since they all moved to KIX.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:43 am

Can you rehost these pics please? We'll be doing CX HKG-HND and JL F HND-SFO this summer and would love to see what we're getting ourselves into.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
We'll be doing CX HKG-HND and JL F HND-SFO this summer and would love to see what we're getting ourselves into.
Assuming you're taking CX542 HKG-HND and then connecting on with JL002 to SFO? You're getting yourselves into a bunch of awesome. I don't know if they'll still have the 747 on 542 at that point, but if so, you will get that added cool factor. They serve a full dinner; if you get a port side window you will get nice sunset views to accompany it.

JL002 will have the Sky Suite F product which has been reviewed in TRs by several FTers including Moomba, SFO777, and, humbly, myself. Due to the time of departure (close to midnight HND time) they don't serve a big meal up front, which some people complain about since they are used to a big traditional F class dinner no matter what. If you are really interested then as your trip gets closer you can go to this site and search the F&B menu for your specific flight.

In two long-haul F trips with JL I have found the hard product, the service, and the F&B (including the a-la-carte options that you can order any time) to be fantastic. Should be a great trip!

Last edited by arlflyer; Jan 27, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Assuming you're taking CX542 HKG-HND and then connecting on with JL002 to SFO? You're getting yourselves into a bunch of awesome. I don't know if they'll still have the 747 on 542 at that point, but if so, you will get that added cool factor. They serve a full dinner; if you get a port side window you will get nice sunset views to accompany it.

JL002 will have the Sky Suite F product which has been reviewed in TRs by several FTers including Moomba, SFO777, and, humbly, myself. Due to the time of departure (close to midnight HND time) they don't serve a big meal up front, which some people complain about since they are used to a big traditional F class dinner no matter what. If you are really interested then as your trip gets closer you can go to this site and search the F&B menu for your specific flight.

In two long-haul F trips with JL I have found the hard product, the service, and the F&B (including the a-la-carte options that you can order any time) to be fantastic. Should be a great trip!
Awesome, thanks! We're doing LAX-HKG CX F, BKK-HKG CX J, HKG-HND CX F, and HND-SFO JL F. Yes, JL002 and CX542.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:33 pm

Awesome, thanks! We're doing LAX-HKG CX F, BKK-HKG CX J, HKG-HND CX F, and HND-SFO JL F. Yes, JL002 and CX542.
Cool. How are you getting to Bangkok from HKG? For the BKK-HKG leg, if you're lucky you might get an aircraft configured with the long-haul J seats instead of the regional recliners. If you're doing the whole deal BKK-SFO in one shot, that's a lot of flying!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:39 pm

Cool. How are you getting to Bangkok from HKG? For the BKK-HKG leg, if you're lucky you might get an aircraft configured with the long-haul J seats instead of the regional recliners. If you're doing the whole deal BKK-SFO in one shot, that's a lot of flying!
We've got 4 nights in Bali after HKG, then BKK for 5 nights, then we head home. Yes, it will be a long day of traveling BKK-SFO on 3 flights. I'm hoping CX swaps out the plane for their long haul 777. It's happened to Gary a few times, so I've got my fingers crossed! For the HKG-DPS flight there's only economy available, but I'm hoping Biz opens up if only to get lounge access at HKG. We've both got 100k Avios so the 25k per person isn't much. And the only other use for Avios for us is BOS-DUB and that's 50k RT in J and we can always get more BA points if needed.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:17 am

Looks like BA just devalued overnight, FYI. So it looks like you have until April 28 to do any Avios bookings at the current rate.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:15 am

Looks like BA just devalued overnight, FYI. So it looks like you have until April 28 to do any Avios bookings at the current rate.
Damn, just saw that... So we can try to book J if it opens up before the April 28th deval, otherwise we'll just book Y. The reason for J is the HKG lounges, plus I'm tall and will be miserable in Y.

We were also going to do BOS-DUB next summer in J, but might squeeze it into August before my wife's summer break is over and she goes back to work teaching. Luckily for me I work from home and I'm only very bust Sept-January.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:10 pm

Damn, just saw that... So we can try to book J if it opens up before the April 28th deval, otherwise we'll just book Y. The reason for J is the HKG lounges, plus I'm tall and will be miserable in Y.
So you are booked through to HKG and then will be spending some time there before doing a separate award HKG-DPS?

Do you have your DPS-BKK locked in? Just curious, like to hear what people have found.

We were also going to do BOS-DUB next summer in J, but might squeeze it into August before my wife's summer break is over and she goes back to work teaching. Luckily for me I work from home and I'm only very bust Sept-January.
If Avios end up in short supply, the BOS-DUB route with EI is tolerable in Y in my opinion. I'm 6'1" and flew it without any issue. It's a pretty short flight and EI J isn't amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.