Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hungary Man. Spring Break in Budapest with the return in British Airways First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hungary Man. Spring Break in Budapest with the return in British Airways First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:18 pm

Wow your reports are hitting the mark for airline catering and lounge nostalgia what with the CCR, Galleries First and the DFW A Admirals Club! And we may not have matched registrations but we did match meals - the choices you had from BUD were exactly the same as I had when flying back from CPH on an op-up and the beef teriyaki what I had when I did DFW-LGA in October. (Pretty coincidental considering that I have flown BA Club Europe exactly once in the past three years and AA domestic F only twice!)

Great report as always, good to hear you enjoyed Buda+Pesth and that the BA crew took care of you on the TATL. It would have been disappointing to get one just going through the motions.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I really enjoyed your collection of Budapest pictures. What a beautiful old city! I definitely would like to see more of eastern Europe someday, and reports such as this one will only serve to hasten my efforts to do so. Thanks!

As one who feels - no doubt inappropriately amongst 98% of Flyertalk's membership - that wearing apparel such as shorts and/or a t-shirt into a classy lounge such as BA's Concorde Room only serves to denigrate the overall ambience the airline works so hard to project for its premium travelers - I must say you're looking quite well turned out, Mr. K. ^^
Why thank you!

Originally Posted by amolkold
Great trip report! And guess what, I've taken to your role of "dressing up" in First. Okay, maybe no tie, but I did wear a sport coat and dress shirt on my SQ Suites flight instead of a t-shirt .

Really enjoyed your BA F parts, especially coming from a first-timer.
Glad you liked it, and I'm glad I inspired you to go the Guy Fancypants route. Usually I just go button down, slacks and a jacket, but I figured if I was going internationally I'd go the whole nine yards.

It's funny, I talked to two different gentlemen on the way back who when they found out I was a law student asked me where my shorts and sandals were. I said "Aren't you supposed to dress for the job you want?". That got them smiling
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Great TR. Lovely photos of Budapest, brought back some memories of our trip last year (though it doesn't look like you photographed the tank in the terror museum). I agree that the public transport in the city is very easy to use and that they should really just get some ticket barriers on that metro system.

Have you been to Vienna? The trams there are really nice though the metro isn't as vintage.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Wow your reports are hitting the mark for airline catering and lounge nostalgia what with the CCR, Galleries First and the DFW A Admirals Club! And we may not have matched registrations but we did match meals - the choices you had from BUD were exactly the same as I had when flying back from CPH on an op-up and the beef teriyaki what I had when I did DFW-LGA in October. (Pretty coincidental considering that I have flown BA Club Europe exactly once in the past three years and AA domestic F only twice!)

Great report as always, good to hear you enjoyed Buda+Pesth and that the BA crew took care of you on the TATL. It would have been disappointing to get one just going through the motions.
Thank you sir. Funny how airlines don't bother rotating their meals much isn't it? And yeah, I was really worried I'd get a crew that wasn't trying hard (like the DFW-RDU one!) and regret my redemption, thankfully that didn't happen.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Great TR. Lovely photos of Budapest, brought back some memories of our trip last year (though it doesn't look like you photographed the tank in the terror museum). I agree that the public transport in the city is very easy to use and that they should really just get some ticket barriers on that metro system.

Have you been to Vienna? The trams there are really nice though the metro isn't as vintage.
I actually have been to Vienna, I was there in 2011 and that's where I got the idea of riding the trams around to see more of the city. I didn't like Vienna as much as Budapest or Prague though.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:12 pm

Beautiful trip report especially the Synagogue and Holocaust memorials. It's on my bucket list as my grandmother was Hungarian.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
That was a great TR. I like your writing style as well. Definitely had me laughing ^
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I actually have been to Vienna, I was there in 2011 and that's where I got the idea of riding the trams around to see more of the city. I didn't like Vienna as much as Budapest or Prague though.
Vienna's my favourite of the three and I liked Prague the least - too many tourists and it's the one place I've been to that I couldn't get comfortable navigating my way around. Still it would be a dull world if we all thought the same about places.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Congratulations excellent report!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
A really good review, thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Vienna's my favourite of the three and I liked Prague the least - too many tourists and it's the one place I've been to that I couldn't get comfortable navigating my way around. Still it would be a dull world if we all thought the same about places.
Interesting, and I absolutely agree with the last line. I think what helped me on my Prague trip was I was there in December and it was raining. Other than Prague Castle and the Christmas Market, there were no tourists anywhere I went. Vienna I found rather gaudy and like a German influenced version of Paris. That said, I did have some great meals there!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:56 am

Prague without tourists does sound far more enjoyable. And I agree about the food in Vienna, in fact you've prompted me to get on with my Vienna TR in which food does feature.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Prague without tourists does sound far more enjoyable. And I agree about the food in Vienna, in fact you've prompted me to get on with my Vienna TR in which food does feature.
Ah wonderful I'll look forward to it. By the way, ever been to the Austrian Military Museum? I was very impressed with it.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:18 am

Yes I went. I was a bit disappointed because the tank park and the World War one bit were closed. The rest of it is excellent though.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: M&M mainly
Fantastic report ! Thanks for sharing
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Great TR! Glad you had a good BA F crew - as a seasoned BA F traveller, I can tell you they can be really mixed nowadays, ranging from excellent to downright rude and aloof - but when they are good, they are great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.