RTW Trip - OS J, EK J/Y, CX J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW Trip - OS J, EK J/Y, CX J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Very nice! Austrian and Emirates surely have two of the best Business Class meal services in the industry. Any photos of that $100.00/nt. budget hotel in Dubai? Sounds like my kinda place!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Awesome report!

Greg
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:48 pm

HKG is building a satellite pier extension over by the T stands. Also the window seats have a wider foot cubby than the aisle seats.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Hey - quick question, am working on an upcoming TR - Any suggestion on a site or software where I can create a route map like you have done?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by avm2806
Hey - quick question, am working on an upcoming TR - Any suggestion on a site or software where I can create a route map like you have done?
Great circle mapper
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:50 am

Great trip report. I have too many questions to remember.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by injian
Great circle mapper
thanks a ton - found it - its great!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:48 pm

An Excellent Report. Seemed like a great trip with many adventures. Would you recommend the Holiday Inn you stayed at in the Maldives. It is very convenient to get on a boat directly from the airport rather than taking (an expensive) sea plane.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Looking forward to the rest of the trip! I am interested in the Sheraton and your thoughts about it - people say that it's getting old now. I nearly did the MLE-YVR flight too but ended up with the EY F mistake fare instead.

I'm also flying CX, but going there instead of back like you did!
Thanks Roastpuff for the info on linking the Table of Contents.

As for my thoughts on the Sheraton, we booked liked it albeit the room was a tad smaller than normal. The best part about it was the proximity to Nathan Road, Avenue of Stars and the MTR. The last time we went to HKG, we stayed at the Harbour Grand Kowloon which was a bit far from everything and we noticed the difference right away in terms of proximity to everything else.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Thanks for the trip report! If I may suggest... including links to the table of contents in the first post would be greatly appreciated.

What were your impressions of EK J vs OS J vs CX J?

Did you feel like the HI Kandooma looked a little tacky? I saw the picture of the restaurant's tables and seats and felt like the furniture was a little out of place.
Honestly, I did not think much about the tables and chairs. What I did not like about the area was dining at night. The lighting was very low because each table had 1 candle and the ambient lighting around the dining area was very dim. This made is difficult to see what we were eating. We had to ask for the wait staff to put 2 more candles on our table and still didn't help much.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isaifan
An Excellent Report. Seemed like a great trip with many adventures. Would you recommend the Holiday Inn you stayed at in the Maldives. It is very convenient to get on a boat directly from the airport rather than taking (an expensive) sea plane.
Would definitely recommend it even with the minor issues we experienced i.e. ants and dinner lighting issues. We ended up choosing HI because our #1 choice, Kuredu Island Resort was full up when we went to book it. The boat transfer was $300 RT/person. If we ended up taking a seaplane to another resort, it would have been $600 RT/person.

Originally Posted by greg99
Awesome report!

Greg
Thank you!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Wow what a great trip report! The pics are amazing and cover every aspect of your trip. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Have subscribed will read at leisure^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.