Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Antarctica, Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Rio de Janeiro (TK/CA-J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Antarctica, Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Rio de Janeiro (TK/CA-J)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:04 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lmsalman
It's a Coati, they're everywhere around the falls. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati
Thanks lmsalman. I wonder what we call him in Colombia

Thanks again to the OP, more wonderful photos. What gear are you using? Your Picassa account has eaten all the exif data.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:05 am

Wow, really stunning photography!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Thanks lmsalman. I wonder what we call him in Colombia

Thanks again to the OP, more wonderful photos. What gear are you using? Your Picassa account has eaten all the exif data.
I'm using a canon 6D with a 24-105 F4L or a 17-40 F4L.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Ca908 – gru-mad

I had landed in terminal 2 so I had to walk to terminal 1 for check-in at the Air China counters. There was no one in the business line and a rather short economy line (approx 10-20 ppl). The 2 business counters were being served with economy passengers so I had to wait until they were finished before I was served. The agent was rather friendly and had explained the location of the lounge and the information about the boarding time.

Check-in Area for CA at GRU

For security, I didn’t find a separate check-in or a separate immigration. However, the lines were short and I was through in less than 10 minutes.

Air China uses the proair lounge at GRU. From reading some blogs, all the lounges at GRU are pretty dismal and this lounge wasn’t much better. This is a contract lounge and is rather small. When I entered, there were only 1 other passenger in the lounge. Later on, a few more passengers came in but then still wasn't many people (7 max). The food selection was on the low end with only a few hot canapes and a few desserts. There is a very dark and small play room for children and 3 laptops that could be used. There is washroom in the lounge however, there are no shower rooms. The internet was fast and since it was quiet, it was nice to be out of the fully packed gates.

Entrance to the Proair Lounge

Seating area

Childrens’ play area

Food options (or lack thereof)

I left the lounge and there were many it was just about to board and the gate area was fully packed.

I wished I were on this flight instead.

My flight

The long line for Y class, waiting to board

Once boarded, I showed my boarding pass and the flight attendant had just pointed to which side and not let the economy passengers get into the business class section. I got to my seat and put my things in the overhead bin and they didn't help me. As I got seated, the slippers, blanket and amenity kit was already at the seat. I then noticed that these items were not at my seat but beside it. It seems like there was no one beside me. The flight was about half full in J. I went to the washroom and hot towel was provided on a plate. When I came back, a flight attendant had asked in mandarin if I would like to change into your slippers now. I said ok and she unwrapped the slippers and laid it in front of me. She also put the blankets and the amenity on the ottoman of my seat. Another attendant came by and offered champagne, water and orange juice. I took the champagne. About a minute later, she then comes by and apologized and says “It is not cold enough, Can I exchange it for you with a cold one?" I said ok and she gave me another one.

Finally, before take-off, the attendant in charge of my aisle started to take our orders. In mandarin, she addressed me by name and introduced that she was taking care of us today. She had informed us that the flight time today would be 9h50min to Madrid and there would be 2 services today. She asks what we wanted for what we wanted for dinner and breakfast. Interestingly, no menus were handed out so all the mains were described by the flight attendant. At this point, I didn’t have a problem communicating with the flight attendant. However, there was a Brazilian on the flight that didn’t speak much English. The flight attendant had trouble communicating with him. Fortunately, there was a passenger that helped with the translation from Mandarin to Portuguese. Even though this flight was going from Sao Paulo to Madrid, neither Spanish nor Portuguese were spoken by the flight attendants or even played in the announcements.

J class cabin

The seat

Ear phones, amenity kit and blanket

Contents of the amenity kit

Slippers that were unwrapped and placed in front of me

The unchilled champagne

There was some congestion at GRU so we only took off after 1hr after leaving the gate. After take-off, the attendants prepared for dinner. First, the drinks were brought out. Next, the tablecloth was laid and then hot nuts were served. There were 4 canapés on a tray that was offered. I had enquired about one of them and they didn't know what it was. However, I took another choice, which was bacon wrapped beef and she had proactively asked if I wanted to try the one I enquired as well. I took it. Next, the salad and the appetizer were served. Only when every one was served, the sauces of the salad came. It was after a few minutes that bread was served. I had finished my drink and she had given me 2nds. The appetizers were good but not DO&CO good. Then the mains came. It was a bit salty and wasn't that great but I did finish it. These meals were served at the passengers’ rate. Finally, the dessert, cheese or fruit was served and I took the fruit and the cake. The cake was also quite good. Even though I wasn't really finished, they were handing out water bottles and took my dessert away. The lights were quickly turned off for people to sleep and the dinner service was complete after 1.5hrs after takeoff.

Congestion at GRU

Warm nuts and drink

Canapes

Appetizer and salad

Main – Beef and mash potatoes

Chocolate cake and fruits

I had asked for a blanket at the galley. She came back in 5 seconds and then actually tried to lay the blanket on me. She even asked if I wanted to turn off my screen. After I woke up, I never really noticed any flight attendants pass by with water or juices.

Seat in full flat position and one in upright position

Breakfast was served about 1.5hrs before arrival. Both orange juice and water was on the tray. I took an orange juice and asked for tea. Breakfast was provided shortly and from earlier on, I had asked for the western breakfast. My tea was provided shortly. After breakfast was finished, I finished my tea and the flight attendants had offered if I wanted seconds. We landed in Madrid shortly.

Overall, this flight completely surprised me. The service was absolutely had some first class touches, however, there were also things that could be improved. This was one of the better business class flights I have been on.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: CA, OZ, HU, SPG
Excellent report of Antarctica, with great pictures. It seems like all of you wear the same uniform, is that required?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:22 pm

Wow, an adventure of a lifetime!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: FT
Great TR. I'll be in Foz and Rio next weekend. Not enough time for both sides so just Brazil side. Staying at the Hotel Das Cataratas.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:44 pm

After this wonderful trip report and spectacular pictures, my only regret is that this is the first time you have posted a trip report!

We are left to imagine about the 'past trips you have done'!

("and many times I've wanted to contribute with some past trips I've done.")
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:23 pm

Journey is very beautiful and wonderful
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by huojimmy
Excellent report of Antarctica, with great pictures. It seems like all of you wear the same uniform, is that required?
Well, they just provide you with the jacket. Most people just wear it but in no way did they say that you couldn't wear something else. On one or 2 occasions, there were a few passengers that did wear a different jacket.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Great TR. I'll be in Foz and Rio next weekend. Not enough time for both sides so just Brazil side. Staying at the Hotel Das Cataratas.
Have fun! Talking about actual visiting times, each one took only half a day. However, personally, I was more impressed with the Brazilian side since I was able to see the different levels of the waterfalls and the sheer number of waterfalls.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
After this wonderful trip report and spectacular pictures, my only regret is that this is the first time you have posted a trip report!

We are left to imagine about the 'past trips you have done'!

("and many times I've wanted to contribute with some past trips I've done.")
Haha. The other places that I have been on are nowhere as EPIC as this trip. FYI, the other trips/reports that I wanted to share were:
1.Eastern Europe (Frankfurt, Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Hallstatt, Bled, Zagreb, Plitvice) (on SQ F/J, OU J, TG F) (This trip was booked because of the SQ floodgates and all in thanks to flyertalk) - Sep 2012
2. Trip around the world (Mainly just the flights since I had to get to Canada for a friend's wedding) (TG J, OS J, LH J, AC J) - (There are quite a few reports of these airlines so it's nothing too interesting). - Aug 2013
3. Trip to Jordan and UAE (RJ J, CX J and GF Y) - May 2013

I would say the first two aren't especially interesting and has been documented (both location and flights). However, if interested, I think I am willing to compile a report for Jordan and UAE.

Some other places that I've visited that is out of the norm from what is on here are and you can go to those links to see some of the photos that I've taken:
Iran: https://picasaweb.google.com/1167755...KuVj7PDoKWKqAE
Laos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1167755...eat=directlink
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Transfer in MAD/ TK1858 MAD-IST

All I can say is chaos. First I went through transit security. There were only 2 people working there with only one scanning machine and there aren’t any priority lines. As I had to go to the washroom, so when I arrived at the transit security, I was in the mist of the Y class passengers. So it took over half an hour for 20 people to pass. Next, I asked the information desk if there was a transfer desk to get my boarding pass printed. They said since I didn't need a visa, I had to go through immigration and check-in. This is absolutely ridiculous. Anyways, there was no one at immigration so I had to go back to check-in again.
Check-in was also quite crazy. In the economy line, there were about 20 people while in the business line, there was about 10 people but with 20+ luggages. I lined up in the business line and it took about over half an hour before I could get my boarding pass. I had handed the check-in agent my e-ticket, passport and my old boarding pass from GRU-MAD, which had my luggage tagged to IST. She just threw my boarding pass away.. I told her that my luggage tag is still on the boarding pass. She then took it out of the trashcan. It also took her some time to figure out if I needed a visa to get to IST. She handed me my boarding pass and a priority card for the security check and for immigration in Istanbul. I look at the documents that she gave me and I had to remind her that she hadn’t given me back my passport. She then remembers to give me back my passport and my e-ticket.

There was no one at the priority security so it was quick. There was only 1 person in front of me for immigration so I was back at airside in less than 5 minutes.

Sala Cibeles

I entered the lounge and the lounge dragon had no reaction. I stood there and she just minds her business. I hand her my boarding pass and says nothing. She scans it and then hands it back to me. She also says nothing. I stand there for a second or 2. Then I said to her, wifi. She hands 2 wifi cards to me.
Just like most contract lounge, there is very little hot food and there are some drinks. There is a little bit more alcohol compared to some other contract lounges. There is enough sitting area however it isn't really that big either. The chairs aren't really that comfortable since the cushion can slide off the chair. Also for the area I was sitting, there was quite a lot of garbage and it was never cleaned up.

Entrance to Sala VIP Cibeles

Drinks and cold food selection

The crumbs that were on the floor that was never cleaned up for the 1.5hrs I was there

Boarding was called like usual. I took my seat and I was thankful it was a regional business class seat instead of the eurobiz seats. There was already someone sitting beside me. I only noticed that this plane featured the Boeing sky interior later on. Later on, PDB was offered with the signature drinks on Turkish and water. No champagne was offered just like all the other TK flights I took before. After, a towel was offered. After take-off, the tablemat was laid. The menu was only provided later. Next, the appetizer came. She only gave us the appetizer and forgot to give us drinks or bread. Both of these things were only provided only when she noticed when everyone else had it later on. The appetizer plates were removed and a cart was rolled with the mains wrapped so we couldn't really see. I had asked for salmon but she was trying to push the eggplant. I had asked for the salmon twice and she couldn't understand and so I just said ok to the eggplant. Afterwards, all the trays were collected and I asked for a tea. It was provided shortly. All the food tasted great however the eggplant was a bit salty.

Business class seat

PDB

Boeing sky interior

Eggplant

After the meal service the flight attendant wasn’t to be seen until landing. Once we had landed, we were parked at a remote terminal. What I found interesting was that I was still packing up my things and was one of the last J pax off the plane and the ground staff wouldn’t let me on the J pax bus. However, good thing I still had the priority card for immigration.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Istanbul

Some of the places that I visited in Istanbul were Chora Museum, Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, Rumeli/Tower of Europe.

Chora Museum

New Mosque

Blue Mosque

Hagia Sofia

Tokapi Palace entrance

Tower of Europe
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:54 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Istanbul too? This is the trip report that just keeps on giving

Thanks again for sharing
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Really enjoying the trip report, pics are amazing.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:26 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Amazing pictures from Antarctica - I envy you

My experience is that TK never has any Spanish/castellano- & Portuguese-speaking F/A's on EZE/GRU flight's, either. I sometimes offer F/A's to translate and it is highly appreciated (shall I get extra miles for that?)...

PDB champagne should be requested on TK - F/A's are normally quite happy to open a bottle and serve bubbles before departure...

Last edited by TPJ; Mar 21, 2014 at 8:32 am Reason: added remark about bubbles...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.