VS 004
Aircraft: A340-600
Actual seat: 17K
Depart: JFK John F Kennedy airport
Arrive: LHR London Heathrow
Sched.Departure: 6:00pm Actual Departure : 7:15pm
Sched.Arrival: 6:20am Actual arrival: 6:10am

BACK STORY
When I began thinking about this trip, it started off simple enough, fly from New York to Helsinki, Finland to visit some friends. My first thought was to buy a revenue ticket but since tickets were high and I could only fly mostly with KLM I thought it would be better to use miles so I could try out other airlines up front. However I did not want to spend more than 100,000 miles to fly to Helsinki. Then I started thinking about my last trip to Europe in December for christmas, when I flew with Delta to London then AF to paris and finally arriving in Basel, Switzerland (some family live in Freiburg Germany) on a BE ticket which surprisingly was around $2300 compared to $1900 in coach!!!
Since Delta have the new partnership with Virgin Atlantic and as a Delta Diamond (and BE ticket) I had the chance to experience the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge. It was pretty 'Brilliant' compared to anything I have ever been in, so I was determined to actually try Virgin Atlantic crossing the pond one day.
What was a simple tirp became much more complex and I had started tacking on a side trip to Vienna and to Paris. I really didn't want to spend over 100,000 miles but I found space on VS in upper class on the way to LHR and back to JFK. So all in I spent 130,000miles to add on the Virgin Atlantic flight, but then again when would I get to try out their product. After multiple trials and cancelation to get the right flights I wanted I finally set on JFK-LHR-CDG-VIE Then VIE-AMS-HEL a few days in Helsinki then HEL-CDG with a day and night in Paris then CDG-LHR-JFK. It seems quite involved but I am getting to get the best of my buck. The taxes and charges came to around $312.

FLIGHT JFK-LHR
Since my flight was in the evening and I was only taking carry on luggage, I decide to take the subway to the LIRR (long Island Railroad) which is about 20mins from Midtown Manhattan to Jamaica, Queen and then an 8 minute ride on the air train. One great thing is the airtrain arrives right in terminal 4 for easy access. The Virgin Atlantic Upper class check in desk is right in front of the doors. There was only one person working the desk, but soon as I stood in line, there was another agent opened up to help. I few minutes later I was checked and boarding pass in hand, I headed to security. First and Business class lanes were quite empty and I was the 2nd person in line, however the regular line was long...real long. The walk to the lounge was not far. As I walked up to desk I was warmly greeted by the agent who I met the last time I entered the lounge. The entrance to the lounge is beautiful and the ladies at the desk were smartly dressed. Since this was my second time in the lounge, there was no need for them to give me a tour. The staff in the lounge are great and truly look like they love working in the lounge. I took a seat at the window over looking the apron, in the dining room. A few moments later, a lovely waitress came over to hand me the menu, and told me the code for the wifi and if I cared to start off with a cocktail or perhaps a glass of champagne. The way the staff in the clubhouse speak is quite eloquent, and remincient of a fine dining restaurant. I of course as I always do, I ordered champagne, lots of it, ha.

I had a some breakfast at home and by the time I arrived at the airport, I was famished, I could eat a cow. I had read that the pizza was quite good (thanks to blogger lucky), So I ordered the pizza as a starter and then the Hamburger as my main.

pizza

The flatbread pizza was wonderful and had a great texture and bountiful flavors. I highly recommend the pizza as an appetizer but definitely not a main course.

Champagne

The Champagne - is wonderful, though I generally like a sweeter champagne but definitely still a great blend and of course I would drink a bottle of it .

Menu

Excellent assortment of food and drinks to choose from.

Menu 2

Burger

This is the second time I have had the burger and once again it, is scrumptious with awesome 'Hot Chips" (fries)

Apple cobbler

cappuccino

View Tarmac

After eating a fab sit down lunch/dinner I was full and ready to relax. I was running a little behind schedule so I didn't have time for a complimentary massage. I did however try it back in December and it was fantastic. I also added on a treatment which was quite cheap, I think around $40. If you want to get your haircut, you also have the option with a salon right in the lounge. Just as I sat down, They called for the flight. Then about 5 minutes later they called last call. It was only 5:30, the flight didn't depart for another 30 mins, so I collected my things and headed down to the gate which wasn't far. As I came to the gate, I realized they had boarded everyone already and I was actually the last person to board. Oops!
Today's flight would be on the older A340-600. I haven't been on one of these in about 15 years when I was a little twink. I was warmly greeted at the door and turned left to seat 15A. As I looked around, the the flight was quite empty and as I looked back down the plane, it was really empty. As I took my seat I thought about moving to the other side of the aircraft to the last row next to the bar. I chose the back left since there is a wall in front of the seats but since there was no one on the other side I asked if I could move. I was told I could once the door had been closed. In a few moments, a glass or goblet of champagne was handed to me. Now thats what I call a pre-departure drink. That was a good serving, and the serving on Air France and Delta, well lets say they are extremely stingy compared to the old hollywood glamour of the champagne served on board Virgin Atlantic. I think I was going to like it... a lot!

A340-600

Cabin

Champagne anyone?

Foot well

A few moments later, I was handed my sleep suit aka pajamas. She handed me a large. I decided to wait till we took off to change, though all most all of the upper class had already changed. Almost finished with my champagne the captain came on the PA announcing that we would be moving to remote stand since we wouldn't be able to leave for an hour since we could not land in London before 6am. There were very strong headwinds which would make it an extremely short crossing. Doors closed, I moved my belongs to the last row of the right side of the upper class cabin. When I was sitting in 15A, it actually felt a little cramped but when I moved to 17K I felt like I had a bit more space, perhaps it was because of the extra shelf area. It reminds me of Delta's 777 seat 7A (my favorite seat).

There is no electrical outlet and you have to ask for an adapter to plug in your electronics. The seat itself is quite padded, and there is a remote for the Inflight entertainment system. There is a seat/stool for passenger to dine with you, which I found awesome. The table is large and sturdy plenty of space for 2 people to dine. Right behind me was a bar area which I was warned might get loud but since this was a quick overnight flight they thought nobody would enjoy cocktail hour.
They started the inflight entertainment system, but the screens were small and old. The choice of movies, were slim and not a lot of new movies. Nevertheless I hadn't finished Thor (the second installment) on my last flight so I decided to finish the last of it.
Since we were not going to move for an hour, I decided to chang into my sleep suit. Now I am not a massive guy but I do have footballer legs so the pants were TIGHT on me. I felt like I was wearing tights. The top fit fine, but the one time my legs (which I get many compliments on) don't do a thing for me in Virgin's Sleep Suits. The sleep suits are black and basic, but hey pretty impressed that they give out PJ in business class. Hear that Delta! The flight crew were friendly, young and attractive. I am kinda shocked since I am used to grumpy grandma serving me on Delta flights, ok not all of them are grumpy but I do a lot of international flight (on Delta) they tend to be very very senior flight attendants. I actually flew with the oldest Delta flight attendant from DTW-HKG who was around 80. He sure was grumpy and sluggish, but I guess good for him for still working...The purser was actually sincere and friendly, she came over to have a chat and when I told her that that I was a virgin...on VS she quickly said well then we'll be gently and hope you'll enjoy every second of it! lol

It's all so amazing to know how much we multitask these days, I was watching a move, while simultaneously tweeting, texting, instagraming, facebooking.... What seemed like 15mins was actually 1hour and 15mins of being on the ground. Finally we taxied to the runway and were first in line for take off. Right away I feel such a different vibe on Virgin, almost back to the days of flying was enjoyable, fun, fancy and free. As per other non US airlines, the seatbelt sign was switched off about 5 minutes after take off. Most people were getting their beds made by the flight crew, I decided of course to have dinner and report back, but boy was I NOT hungry.

The way the flight attendant presented the champagne, sparkling water and then some 'crisp" was elegant. I really think I was going to enjoy this! About 5-8 minutes later my table was set with nice linen and charming salt and pepper shakers.
The flight crew were attentive and never let my champagne glass be empty. Warm bread rolls were offered and I went with my favorite, Pretzel roll, ok so I had 3... I will hit the gym when I get to Vienna! Ha!

STARTERS
Carrot and Coriander Soup
topped with creamy creme friache
Spicy Maryland Crab
Blue crab native to Chesapeak bay,
served with pickled mango salsa

Warm Breads
your choice of Artisan breads from our bread basket

MAINS
Parmesan-crumbed fillet of beef
with creamy dauphinoise potatoes,
glazed carrots and red wine sauce

Chicken Breast
wrapped in proscuitto, a sweet, delicate
Italian ham, filled with mozzarella and
served with mashed potatoes, asparagus
and balsamic glaze

Thai vegetable curry (v)
An authentic, warming dish with
steamed jasmine rice

Pudding*
Honey Cheesecake
with graham cracker crust. Creamy with
the sweetness of honey and an extra crunch

To begin I decided to go with the Carrot and coriander Soup, well I had to since I am allergic to shellfish (Spicy Maryland crab). My main was the Beef, which was absolutely delicious and thankfully not rubbery. I wanted to try the curry but again thanks to blogger Lucky who said it was not so flavorful, I went with the beef. Dessert was also scrumptious. I was again completely full though perhaps since I only just ate a major meal 3 hours before... Well they do say you should eat every 3 hours, I just forget that it's small meals every 3..eeek. I think having a full dining in the lounge is great and if I flew this route a lot, I would mostly eat in the lounge then go right to sleep, but of course since I am a virgin I have to try everything like I was visiting the little best whore house in Texas aka its a movie!
Once dinner was complete, I asked to have my turndown service, The flight attendant set up my bed while I freshened up for bed. The linen is not as nice as Delta's heavenly westin bedding but the actualy bed was great! A far better sleep.
Night shades on, ear plugs in, it was time for sleep. When I thought I had finally passed out, I was woken to Breakfast! Are you kidding me, I had only been 2 hours! lol When you board they had you a breakfast menu to fill out and they serve it 1.5hrs before landing. Argh I was still full from dinner, but again I had to try the breakfast. Bed back into a chair, I was served Breakfast. Now I know what it's like entering an all you can eat competition. I think I was going to barf, but I had to soldier on and try it. This time I only took a few bites of each thing and ate the croissant. The English breakfast was delicious and so was the croissant but again, I only took a sample.

starters

Take off

table set up

Salt and pepper shakers

Soup

Beef

Cheesecake

Bed

Bar

Breakfast

As usual we entered a holding pattern over London, but it was only 10 mins which still got us in 10 mins early. Finally we made our approach, and as we were heading to the gate, I had yet to receive my coat, which actually made me a little anxious. Then as we began taxiing they handed out our coats. It was a short taxi and we were at the Gate.

London

Door 1lL and 2L were opened and I headed to as quick as I could to transfer to terminal 4. I had never transferred here before and was a little worried that it would take 1.5hrs but soon as I got to the ground floor to take the bus it was already there. The journey time was 8 minutes and with only 3 other passengers it was a quick departure. Driving right up next to the A380 was pretty cool. Security at terminal 4 was dead so I was through there in a heartbeat and headed to the transfer desk to pick up my Air France boarding pass. From Plane to the Skyteam Lounge was about 30mins, not bad at all. Transiting at LHR is not too bad and with that said either is CDG. Transiting these two airports are straightforward and easy! Now that I am sitting in the lounge early, what should I do....Eat.... argh. lol

Last edited by nycflyer75; Mar 16, 2014 at 9:50 am
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Enjoyed the 1st part of your report, thanks ^^
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
part 1 Virgin Atlantic Club House & Virgin Atlantic JFK-LHR
part 2 Air France LHR-CDG
part 3 Air France CDG-VIE
part 4 Le Meriden Vienna
part 5 KLM VIE-AMS
part 6 KLM AMS-HEL
part 7 Helsinki
part 8 Finnair HEL-CDG
part 9 Paris Sheraton CDG
part 10 Paris, France
part 11 Air France CDG-LHR
part 12 Virgin Clubhouse LHR & Virgin Atlantic LHR-JFK

AIRFRANCE
AF1481
Aircraft: A319
Seat:4DActual seat: 4F
Depart:LHR London Heathrow
Arrive: CDG Charles De Gaulle Airport
Sched.Departure: 8:20am Actual Departure : 8:29am
Sched.Arrival: 10:20am Actual arrival: 10:17am

With a quick transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 I had about 40min to relax i and of course eat more in the Skyteam lounge which is a two level lounge. Upstairs is identical to the downstairs portion except for the Clarins massage/facial rejuvenation area.

I have visited this lounge many times before though I have yet to book a massage or facial. I have used the shower facility and the oxygen bar which might be great after a session of drinking.
The Breakfast spread it quite good and there are also nap rooms too, which I desperately needed but alas there was no time.

Bus transfer

Journey time

Skyteam Lounge

Sleep rooms

Breakfast

breakfast spread

Living Wall

Bar

With a short stay it was time to head to the gate, which pretty much had already completed boarding. Since there really is no need to rush to aquire overhead space I left for the gate at 20mins before which was in it's final call before closing.

Once on board I was greeted with a sincere smile and good morning/Bonjour Monsieur. I was the 2nd last to board the flight, I sat down and decided to close my eyes right away. Once the boarding door were closed I moved over to the window seat. The middle seat is blocked in Business Class, but most of you reading this already know that. haha.

While I was sleep they handed out the food, but this time I just could not fatham eating anything more, so I had the juice and went right back to sleep. Really not much to report on this flight other than it was a quick 50mins to CDG.

Breakfast

Once we arrived at CDG terminal 2E hall L, I walked to the connection to 2F which was completely empty, and since this is Europe, shoes are kept on but everthing else had to be out for x-ray. I literally was the only person to be going through security at that point, and what was nice to see was the minute I came into the lane they promptly came over to work the machines and greet me, a far cry from TSA. Another 2 minute walk (using the walkways) I arrived at immigration and yet again I was the only person to be using it.
My boarding pass was scanned, and with that being said why do they scan the boarding pass at the security, and before immigration, what information do they need?

Hmm anyway I walked up to the immigration counter and the there was new trainee being trained. The main officer was polite and talked the younger IO through the process which pretty much was look at the citizenship, check the the details of the passport, look at the person (me) they both smiled at me, then he was told to stamp the passport and check my onward boarding card with a smile he handed back my passport. It was all so pleasant, really as much as people go on about how much transiting at CDG is a mess, I always find it easy, well laid out and the IO officers don't say anything they just stamp the passport and thats it, not even scanning it, so its less then 30 seconds!

Once through I headed to the lounge. I had been to this lounge before but didn't realize there was a downstairs part which was far less busy than upstairs. A little hidaway and with nice views on to the tarmac.

Stairwell

Downstairs terminal 2F Air France Lounge

Lounge

Plane

The lounge is nothing special with a small selection of alcohol and meats and cheeses. The free wifi was slow during my visit too.

I worked for a while in the lounge then headed to the gate for boarding.

boarding

Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:13 am
Original Poster

part 4 Le Meriden Vienna
part 5 KLM VIE-AMS
part 6 KLM AMS-HEL
part 7 Helsinki
part 8 Finnair HEL-CDG
part 10 Paris, France

AIRFRANCE
AF1738
Aircraft: A320
Seat:3DActual seat: 3F
Depart:CDG Charles De Gaulle Airport
Arrive: VIE Vienna Airport Flughafen Wien
Sched.Departure: 1:15pm Actual Departure : 1:26pm
Sched.Arrival: 3:15pm Actual arrival: 2:58pm

Since I spent so much time in the lounge I needed to get up and stretch my legs so I headed to the gate area, walked around a little then walked into the separated Skypriority lane, which I must add is completely separated from the general lane, so those lining up for the coach lane are on the left side of the barrier and to the right Skypriority, none of this push your way through the coach lane to get to the skypriority lane which can be a hot mess back in the states.

Terminal 2F

Once on Board I took my seat and after boarding was complete, wrapped cold moist hand towels were handed out. Again I had no-one in my row so I moved over to the window seat. The Air France crew once again were happy and pleasant.
A few minutes after take off the seatbelt signs went off and we were free to move around the cabin. The cabin crew shut the heavy curtains and began preparing for service. Lunch was served with a glass of champagne, of course I was a happy camper with that in my hand! Lunch was light and delicious and thats pretty much all needed since in less than 24hours I know I put on 20lbs! Ha!

Lunch

Business class Seats aka Coach seats middle blocked off

After lunch I decided to once again take a nap, and this time I passed out till I was woken for landing. Lack of sleep was finally catching up with me.

On short haul flights, I think US airlines do a better job of seats and catering but thats the only place they do well compared to the other airlines of the world.

A short taxi to the gate, I was now in Vienna. Woohoo!

Vienna Airport

Flughafen Wien

I headed straight for the CAT nonstop train to the city center, which is a little expensive, but then again I wanted as much time in Vienna as possible. taxi's were out of the question and the U-bahn was too long, so this was the next best option. Since the train would be departing 30mins after deplaning it was perfect timing. 16min trip to the city center then a short 2 stops on the Ubahn (subway) to Karlsplatz where I walked for 2mins to the entrance of the Le Meridien hotel. It's been 14 years since I was last in Vienna but the first thing to do... Crash for a few hours in a nice comfy hotel bed!

Vienna arrivals Hall

Entrance to the CAT train

CAT train

Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:15 am
Original Poster

part 4 Le Meriden Vienna
part 5 KLM VIE-AMS
part 6 KLM AMS-HEL
part 7 Helsinki
part 8 Finnair HEL-CDG
part 10 Paris, France

Le Meridien Hotel Vienna

After a short stroll along the stunning inner ring, walking past the opera house I had arrived at the Le Meridien hotel. I had booked two nights at 220euros which was steep but I wanted to stay at an SPG property. Walking into the building through revolving doors I had entered a fashionable, chic art gallery. I was promptly attended to and soon enough given my key to my room.

Side entrance

Lobby

Check-in

Lobby area

looking towards side entrance

lobby art

lobby bar

Bar area

As you walk towards the elevator there is a mannequin sitting on a bench which is a bit startling, I don't know why but it made me jump. I blame it on my exhaustion ha.

Elevator area - always freaked me out every time I came off the elevator

Hallway

I love the key, it is a contact key so you can keep it in your wallet and just tap it to the door. The room itself is well appointed and I loved the lighting, it makes anyone look sexy and hot without beer goggles. The fridge is stocked with complimentary non-alcoholic drinks which are replenished each day, So of course I had to drink them all before room cleaning the next day. The coffee was amazing for instant coffee. The cups were cool too. The shower was awesome and the actual stall was as big as my bathroom back in New York City. The shower had 3 shower heads, one at above, one on your back and one strategically right at the buttocks. The bed was extremely comfortable though only 1 foot high, so a little tough to get out of bed at my height. There was free wifi though the speeds were no fast enough to play video on tumblr...but enough for pictures

The outsides shades were automatic, and the blinds were a one time tug to have them raise, very cool. The best part outlets both sides of the bed!

Room - 804

Apples

Coffee/tea

Bathroom

Complimentary drinks

View

The gym has its own elevator from your floor, so it's quick an easy. The gym is small, but lit up like a david bartons gym aka dance club. There were two buff trainers training hot ladies. The gym was quite busy when I went. Definitely a good gym with all the amenities. Weights, cardio machine, free weights, pool, jacuzzi, steam room.

Gym

Pool area

Gym

Gym

After exploring the room and the hotel, it was time to take a serious nap. The bed was so comfortable I crashed for 2 hours, in time to stroll in the inner city for dinner.

Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:49 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Nice report! Thanks for sharing.

Do I see it correctly that the glass in AF C is plastic? This would be quite pathetic for European C...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Nice report! Thanks for sharing.

Do I see it correctly that the glass in AF C is plastic? This would be quite pathetic for European C...
unfortunately champagne in a plastic cup on AF but not on KLM or Finnair
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by nycflyer75
unfortunately champagne in a plastic cup on AF but not on KLM or Finnair
Well, KLM does not serve champagne on business class on European flights (only Spanish Cava, although a nice one). The same applies to Lufthansa, Austrian, SAS and probably Alitalia. But Finnair and BA serve champagne in real glasses. Does any one know which other airlines serve champagne within their Intra-European network. I'm not denying that a good sparkling wine is better than a poro champagne
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

part 4 Le Meriden Vienna
part 5 KLM VIE-AMS
part 6 KLM AMS-HEL
part 7 Helsinki
part 8 Finnair HEL-CDG
part 10 Paris, France

KLM
KL1838
Aircraft: 737-800
Actual seat:3C
Depart: VIE Vienna Airport
Arrive: AMS Amsterdam Schipol Airport
Sched.Departure: 6:55am Actual Departure : 7:17am
Sched.Arrival: 8:57am Actual arrival: 8:48am

At 4:30am I woke groggy and rolled out of bed to get ready to head to the airport. I was thinking of taking a cab, and sleep longer, but It wouldn't really take any longer to get to the airport with the Ubahn and the CAT express train.

At 5:10am I walked out of the hotel and walked a short distance to the station picked up some fresh croissants and a krapfen (jelly donut) and boarded the train 2 stops to pick up the Cat train. The train departed at 5:36am, 16mins later I was at Vienna airport. Very quick and user friendly.
I headed towards the other side of the terminal to enter the Schengen part of the airport. I was surprised to see a gate that you scanned your boarding pass and it automatically let you in. How cool is that! I was going to check out the lounge, but honestly I didn't have a lot of time, so I thought. There is a security level on the main floor but its only for crew and Handicap passengers. I followed the sign to downstairs to a huge security area which was virtually empty.

CAT

I handed the agent my boarding pass, scanned and I put all my belongs in the belt and kept on my shoes. Another aspect was I was not asked for ID. Honestly I don't understand why we have to show ID in the US as well as now say our full Name. Seriously whats the point of saying our name. Look at the picture its ME! Anyways I headed to the gate and sure enough I was there far too early. Needless to say I waited for my flight.

Right as we boarded I crashed for the entire flight. So unfortunately nothing to report other than it was a complete full flight. upon landing I headed towards the Crown Lounge 25 Schengen side, checked in a put my carry on in a closet and then went shopping. From a quick glance, the lounge was packed.

I do love AMS, there's quite a lot of shopping and laid out like a mall. I headed to Duty free and picked up couple bottles of champagne, chocolates and beauty products. Gotta look good when flying, ha!

I had a 5 hour layover, and what I really should have done was head into Amsterdam for a few hours, but didn't think of it at the time. I fly through AMS at least 3-4 a year but have never actually been to Amsterdam.

One of these days I should take an 8hr layover and go exploring.

Pic of AMS Schengen area taken at christmas time

Pic of AMS Schengen area taken at christmas time

Money spent, I headed back to the lounge to eat and drink and finish up some of my trip report. I found an area in the back section of the lounge that used to be the smoking part of the lounge. They have decreased the size for the smokers. I wonder how long it will before they don't have any smoking sections.

The usual breakfast was laid out, boiled eggs, cheese, ham and bread rolls. nothing too interesting. By lunch time they had meatballs which really were not good, nothing like you would get at Ikea! What I really liked was a special plate of macron, which were absolutely delicious. After what seemed for ever, it was time to head to the gate to board my flight to Helsinki

Champagne in the lounge

Champagne

AMS tarmac

Last edited by nycflyer75; Mar 16, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:09 am
Original Poster

part 4 Le Meriden Vienna
part 5 KLM VIE-AMS
part 6 KLM AMS-HEL
part 7 Helsinki
part 8 Finnair HEL-CDG
part 10 Paris, France

KLM
KL1169
Aircraft: 737-800
Actual seat:3F
Depart: AMS Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Arrive: HEL Helsinki Airport
Sched.Departure: 1:55pm Actual Departure : 2:10pm
Sched.Arrival: 5:20pm Actual arrival: 5:07pm

I left for the gate which was about a 6 min walk and as I arrived at the gate they were still boarding quite a number of coach passengers. I used the Skypriority lane and boarded the flight. I was greeted with a warm smile. I think it is always nice to respond to anyone that greets you especially when they have to say it a 100 times, they always feel nice when you respond.

I took my seat and noticed 3 Americans and 2 Finnish folks in Business.

KLM

Schiphol Airport

Seat

Once we took off I was offered water and orange juice and asked if was there anything else I would like and since she asked, I asked for some champagne (Yes I know it Sparkling wine and it was Spanish Cava and champagne comes from champagne and should only be used for that purpose but honestly I just call it "Champagne" regardless of the correct name, its much easier to write. I like bubbles and thats that lol)

What I do like is they serve a mini bottle of Champagne, which I do enjoy immensely.

Orange juice

I was handed the menu and I decided on the Dutch Beef. Service was very attentive and very friendly. I was offered a bread roll, though I would have loved to have had it warm. The dutch beef was absolutely delicious, scrumptious comes to mind. I finished every last morsel.

Menu

Lunch

After lunch concluded, I settled down to watch the first episode of season 4 of Downton Abbey. I love this show!!! Would I love having Inflight entertainment system on a European flight? Absolutely, but since I know ahead of time I might as well download something. Every 10 minutes or so the flight attendant came around the cabin to check on us without being intrusive. A very good crew.

Coming into land in Helsinki is always a beautiful sight, though the last time I was here, the landscape was covered in several feet of snow.

coming to land HEL

Helsinki airport

Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:48 am
Original Poster

part 4 Le Meriden Vienna
part 5 KLM VIE-AMS
part 6 KLM AMS-HEL
part 7 Helsinki
part 8 Finnair HEL-CDG
part 10 Paris, France

This is my third trip to Helsinki and since I have written a report but nevertheless I have added some pics from my time here. I would have loved to have seen it all covered in snow, but coming from one of the coldest, snowiest winters on recored in New York City, I think I am ok without the cold.

Helsinki is a beautiful city and the people are absolutely delightful. One restaurant I highly recommend is Gaijin which is a cool, chic asian fusion restaurant that have a great delicious tasting menu! Seriously one of the best!!!!! Not to mention the cocktails are great.

Helsinki

Iceskating

Konig Helsinki

Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Finnair HEL-CDG Business Class

part 4 Le Meriden Vienna
part 5 KLM VIE-AMS
part 6 KLM AMS-HEL
part 7 Helsinki
part 8 Finnair HEL-CDG
part 10 Paris, France

After an awesome stay in somewhat warm Helsinki it was time to head to Paris.

The day before I tried checking in online but to no avail, I would have to check in at the airport.
My flight was at 9:25am and since I had to check in at the airport I decided to leave 10 mins earlier then I had planned. My friend drove me to the airport at 7:50am and we arrived at the terminal at 8:10am, not bad run to the airport.
I headed to the kiosk to try and check in, and sure enough it was not possible either. I headed over to the priority check-in and waited a few moments to be ushered over. There seemed to be a problem with my ticket and they needed the Air France Booking number, which lucky for me, I made sure I had all the booking codes for each airline, otherwise I would have been screwed with only have Delta's booking code. (Trip booked through Delta Airlines)

Once it was settled, I headed to the Business class security which was efficiently fast and polite.

Check-in

I headed up stairs to the lounge, which for Finnair Business class is the Aspire Lounge. Now only after heading to the gate did I notice I was not in fact at the Aspire lounge Gate 27 or was, I am not sure. The lounge I went to was the one I used last time I flew to Helsinki. Right next door was the Finnair lounge but I don't think Business class passengers can use that lounge, since it was not suggested to me. Perhaps but I really didn't have enough time to try.

Airport

Boarding Pass

Helsinki airport

Finnair

Entrance Finnair lounge

I entered the lounge and handed over my boarding pass and was welcomed in to the lounge. The lounge is very basic and the offerings quite poor for breakfast, I think the last time I was in the lounge they had so much more on offer. A little disappointed with this lounge.

Lounge

lounge seats

Other lounge

Breakfast

Finnair

Lounge

tarmac

at 8:55am I decided to leave the lounge and head to the gate which was already boarding. I waited till pretty much everyone was on board before I decided to get on, also because I wanted to stay connected to the free wifi as long as possible. How things have changed in my life, now that I have to be connected 24/7! argh.

As I boarded I was greeted by senior flight attendants in Finnish to which I replied in Finnish. There was only myself and a couple in Business class. Plenty of room. The cabin seemed new and quite refreshing compared to KLM and Air France. Promptly the flight attendant offered to hang my coat and asked if I would like a newspaper.
At one point while waiting to depart, I cough choked a little and right away I was asked in Finnish/English if I wanted water and since I spoke back in Finnish from there on they spoke only finnish to me. Water in hand I was already quite pleases with the friendliness the desire to serve.

We finished boarding early and the doors were closed ahead of schedule, thought we had to wait till the bags were loaded which took an extra few minutes. We departed on time.

A quick taxi to the outer runway, we were number 1 for take off. Finnair has a camera on the wheel which is great for take off! A we climbed within a few minutes the seatbelt sign was turned off , front curtain closed and the crew began preparing for service.

Breakfast was offered on this flight and my favorite... mini bottle of CHAMPAGNE, real champagne in a GLASS! The champagne was quite lovely and I did have a 3 bottles on this flight thought the first one was mixed with orange juice (mimosa) so that doesn't count lol

champagne Finnair

Breakfast Finnair

Breakfast was ok, though the eggs were a little bland and the spinach was little mushy. Though I was perfectly happy with the roll/croissant and the champagne. Once breakfast concluded I was always checked upon discreetly if there was anything that I needed.
Champagne in hand, I decided to watch a movie on my laptop since there really isn't much on offer on the screen above.

Seat

Finnair - tv monitor

Landing in France

Overall Finnair Business class European flight is far more superior than KLM or Air France.

3 hours later we landed at Charles Du Gaulle airport Terminal 2D. First off the aircraft I headed to the Sheraton Hotel CDG which only took 5-8min walk to the center of the airport.

Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for a nice report. Great to see another Finnair flight reviewed as well.

Good to see that Finnair has changed its onboard champagne. Nothing wrong with the Joseph Perrier they had for a long time, but it is refreshing to have something else. I was afraid that due to the cost cutting they might have changed to cheaper sparkling wine (like many other airlines), but they sticked with champagne. Actually the retail price of Nicolas Feuillatte Rserve Brut is tad higher than Joseph Perrier.

Last edited by teme; May 30, 2014 at 8:03 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Wow, a positive review of Finnair European C. Yes, it is good because of clean, relatively new planes, usually just excellent service and real champagne in real glasses

The hard product (seats) are just that: hard. And not too spacious. And no food choice, the only option is not always that good.

I flew Finnar long haul last month in Y, and there they sold Joseph Perrier. Perhaps they can now get Nicolas Feuillatte cheaply, since SAS has stopped serving champagne on intra-European flights..
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teme
Thanks for a nice report. Good to see another Finnair flight reviewed as well.

Good to see that Finnair has changed its onboard champagne. Nothing wrong with the Joseph Perrier they had for a long time, but it is refreshing to have something else. I was afraid that due to the cost cutting they might have changed to cheaper sparkling wine (like many other airlines), but they sticked with champagne. Actually the retail price of Nicolas Feuillatte Rserve Brut is tad higher than Joseph Perrier.
Definitely an excellent champagne!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.