My first ever trip report - MUC-DEN and return in BA Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold

Well, it’s time for my first ever trip report which, while not the most exciting, will hopefully provide some interesting reading. It certainly won’t be anywhere near the superb standard of FTers such as SFO777.

Anyway, Mrs Wooster and I had planned to spend Christmas 2013 with her family in Colorado. I had enough Avios to upgrade us from WT+ to Clubs Europe and World for both outbound and inbound legs of the journey - having flown Club World from DEN-LHR on our previous visit I was looking forward to experiencing it again.

MUC-LHR on BA 947

The day had finally arrived and, with our flight leaving at 07:40, I had arranged for a taxi to collect us at 05:30 to convey us to the airport. Although we live a short walk from the S-Bahn station it would have been impractical to go by train given the amount of luggage we were taking (a significant proportion of which was gifts for friends and family). After a fairly rapid trip along the autobahn we arrived at MUC Terminal 1 around 06:15.

Heading around the A-99

Check in was straight forward and, after being handed our boarding passes, we were through immigration and security (which was operated with the usual German efficiency) and on our way to BA’s Galleries lounge within a few minutes.

Boarding passes

The lounge was quiet and comfortable enough for the short wait until our flight departed and there was a fairly decent selection of food and drink available.

After our flight had been called we made our way to the departure gate (a couple of minutes walk from the lounge) where boarding was carried out in an orderly fashion with Club Europe and status passengers invited to come forward first. This was markedly different to a similar flight the previous week which was a complete free-for-all.

Upon boarding we were warmly welcomed by the CSD (Adrian - who provided very attentive and good humoured service throughout the flight) and ushered to our seats (1D and 1F). Legroom was ample for the relatively short flight and the seats were comfortable enough.

Obligatory legroom shot

Once airborne, breakfast was served which consisted of an omelette, sausage, bacon, tomato and mushrooms. It wasn’t the most flavoursome of airplane fodder, with the omelette being the best tasting part.

Mrs Wooster’s gluten-free breakfast

Descent over central London

The flight itself was pretty uneventful and we landed ahead of schedule at around 08:40.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
LHR-DEN on BA219

After making our way through flight connections and security (where they decided to unpack and examine every item in Mrs Wooster’s carry on luggage) we headed over to the Elemis spa for a shower and massage chair session. Once these were done we headed upstairs to the lounge which was rather crowded (although somewhat quieter than the Drones Club). However, we managed to find some empty seats and I proceeded to see how many of the rather delightful cinnamon swirls I could eat. I must admit, I was slightly apprehensive about sampling the food after the numerous stories about the catering standards. However, everything looked pretty good and fresh so things seem to have improved.

Shower room at T5 Elemis spa

Galleries horse

After our gate was announced (B37) Mrs Wooster and I headed over to Terminal 5B as I wanted to see what the lounge facilities were like there. It was a good thing we did as, on checking in with the lounge dragoness, the machine beeped upon reading our boarding passes. We were advised that there had been an aircraft swap and our seats had changed (I had originally paid for 2A and 2B) as the aircraft was now one with a four-class configuration as opposed to three-class. At this point I started to wonder whether BA would be opening up the first class cabin to CW passengers but sadly it was not to be (first class was actually used as a crew rest area throughout the flight). We were reassigned to 14A and B, which wasn’t ideal as I had paid extra so we could be right at the front of the cabin. After a word with the member of staff, she made a quick phone call and, after a couple of minutes, informed us that we had been re-reassigned to 10A and B.

After making our way to the gate there was a 5-10 minute wait before passengers were called forward. There were the usual gate crashers who ignored the priority boarding call and were subsequently sent packing by the gate agents. After our boarding passes were scanned Mrs Wooster was selected for a ‘random’ security check (she always seems to get chosen for some reason - I don’t know why, unless it is her red hair that gets the security staff all riled up). Once the probing by security had been finished we made our way outside to where a number of buses were lined up. After being crammed in like sardines we eventually made our way to the aircraft.

Boarding by bus

Upon boarding, we were welcomed by the crew, coats were taken and drinks offered. The new, and much debated, amenity kits were handed out (with eyeshades and earplugs being dispensed on request). I personally didn’t think the kit was that dire (although the Elemis products could have been bigger) and will certainly put the bag everything came in to good use.

BA Club World men’s amenity kit

BA Club World women’s amenity kit

Legroom in 10A

Awaiting our turn for take-off - nearly an hour later than scheduled

Lunch was pretty standard CW fare. I had chicken and assorted vegetables which was fine but nothing to get overly excited about. I was going to post up photos of the menu but unfortunately misplaced it during the trip.

A couple of hours before landing afternoon tea was served. The sandwiches didn’t really look that appealing; however, the scones, clotted cream and jam were very good indeed. I am aware some people aren’t particularly keen on BA’s afternoon tea offering but I would be more than happy to have it (the scones, cream and jam portion) again.

Some random photos from the flight:

On approach to Denver International Airport:

After landing at DEN, we were swiftly through immigration (one of the benefits of being married to an American is being able to use the US citizen line ) and, after a short wait at the carousel, collected our luggage and headed off to collect our rental car from Alamo. I was given a Chevrolet Equinox which was average in all respects and had no get up and go whatsoever. Fortunately, I was able to swap it for a much nicer Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited a week later.

Chevy Equinox

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Last edited by BertieWooster; Jan 24, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Great Sand Dunes National Park

We spent three weeks in Colorado visiting family and doing some travelling round. One of the highlights was our visit to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. On the day we went there was nobody else around. It was a cold (2F, -16C), clear and very still day and there was complete and utter silence - no wind, animal calls, vehicle or aircraft sounds. The scenery was breathtaking and we could have spent all day there taking in the view and exploring the dunes.

Heading south down I-25

Empty highway (CO-150) leading to Great Sand Dunes NP

Great Sand Dunes NP

Heading back down a deserted CO-150
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Pagosa Springs

As part of our trip we spent a few days in Pagosa Springs which is in the southwest of the state. We spent a day snowmobiling out in the backcountry and another day at the hot springs. Snowmobiling was a first for both Mrs Wooster and myself and we had a blast. The trails were deserted and the scenery was just amazing. The hot springs were fantastic (although surprisingly tiring) and just perfect for unwinding after the previous day’s snowmobiling escapades. Temperatures in the pools varied from a somewhat cool 85F up to a rather warm 115F.

Early morning in Pagosa Springs:

Our journey back from Pagosa Springs to Denver was via US Highway 285 and was one of the most beautiful and striking drives I have ever done. Traffic was very light throughout the majority of the journey and, on some occasions, ours was the only vehicle around. The thing that hit me the most about the trip was the vast emptiness of the area and the views stretching out on all sides.

Some photos from the journey:

Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Other random photos from our time in Colorado:

Colorado State Trooper near I-76 in Logan County

Sunset in north-eastern Colorado

Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:00 am
Original Poster

DEN-LHR on BA218

After all too short a visit it was time to head back to Germany.

On arrival at DEN our bags were checked in by a very friendly and good natured member of BA’s check-in staff. We were advised that the flight was fully booked - which was a little surprising as I had expected it to be fairly quiet seeing as we were flying on new year’s eve.

After clearing security, which thankfully only took a couple of minutes, we headed off to the American Airlines Admirals Club lounge (which BA utilises) in Concourse A. The lounge was initially fairly quiet but got a lot busier as time went on. There was a pretty good selection of food and drink, none of which BA passengers have to pay for.

After boarding was announced we headed downstairs to the gate and straight onto the aircraft. We were in seats 10E and 10F. However, once boarding had finished and the doors were closed, Mrs Wooster asked the cabin crew if she could move to 10D (which appeared to be the only empty seat in CW) as she prefers to fly facing forward. Once she had switched seats I ended up with a mini-cabin all to myself - happy days!

A blurry photo of seat 10E

The cabin crew were excellent throughout the flight, and special mention must be made of Rainer as he really made an effort to make our time on board enjoyable. He was very attentive, especially regarding drinks and ensuring they were always topped up.

Dinner menu:

Dinner

After eating I watched a couple of movies and TV shows before managing to get a couple of hours sleep. The AVOD system on this flight had a much wider entertainment selection than on our outbound flight - including most of the James Bond movies.

Around an hour or so before arrival breakfast was served which consisted of a bowl of fruit, a selection of warm pastries and croissants, and a bacon roll. While it wasn’t the most substantial of breakfasts it was more than adequate and enough to last me until I could get to the Arrivals lounge.

On arrival at LHR T5 we headed landside as we wanted to go to the Arrivals lounge to freshen up and prefer the showers and facilities there to those in the Galleries lounge. Immigration was easy as were were able to use the e-passport gates. Once in the Arrivals lounge we showered and made use of the Elemis spa massage chairs before sitting down to a fairly good cooked breakfast (the offering is a lot better than that in Galleries in my opinion).

Replete and refreshed, we headed upstairs to the Departures area and made our way to the south security point which was listed as being fast track only. It was anything but fast and it seemed to take forever for people to get their belongings emptied into the trays. One good point was that the security staff were making sure people waited their turn in going through the metal detector and admonished a couple of people who decided that waiting in line wasn’t for them and instead tried to queue jump.

Once through security we headed up to the Galleries South lounge and sat down looking out at a very wet and dreary scene.

LHR-MUC on BA952

Once boarding had been announced we wandered down to the gate and, after a couple of minutes headed on board. The flight was uneventful and Mrs Wooster and I spent most of the time sleeping. After arriving at MUC we were rapidly through immigration and, after a short wait for our luggage, in a taxi on our way back home.

Overall it was a fantastic trip and, as usual when having fun, time went by far too quickly.

I hope you enjoyed reading my TR. Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bertie W
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Lovely pictures of Colorado and a good TR all round
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:01 am

nice write up.
thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:09 am

Thanks for sharing your TR and photos. I enjoyed it.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:17 am

I went camping at the Sand Dunes last April, definitely an experience and something you can't really get anywhere else in the U.S.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
great trip report - I look forward to more from you..
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Nice pics! I enjoyed your trip report, and I love your boots!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments so far. The boots may well be making another appearance when I write up my next report from a trip I'll be taking to the Scottish Highlands in April.

Bertie W
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great Report. Thought about flying the LHR-DEN route before, but I`m not so happy with the 3-class configuration.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Thank you for a great TR, fantastic images, it looks a stunning and beautiful place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.