Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines 747, A330-200 TPE-NRT-HNL-TPE! Business Class Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

China Airlines 747, A330-300 TPE-NRT-HNL-TPE! Business Class Trip Report

This is my first attempt at writing a trip report on my recent flight to the island state Hawaii.

My Gold Medallion status on Delta in recent years have scored me around 200,000 miles, there are some award trips I've booked using my points to and from Tokyo and Hong Kong, none of the points have been redeemed for the purpose of international longhaul flights. The recent devaluation of Skypesos have more or less discouraged me from credit any more miles to Skymiles program, and I have instead status matched to Alaska Airlines in hope to have better use of miles for future redemption. Since most of my miles come from Delta TPAC flights and Asia to Europe trips on KLM/AF. Even though I've really wanted to try out the Delta BusinessElite services from Asia to the mainland US on flatbed, but I've decided against it, since I've found a really good redemption opportunities from TPE to HNL on partner airlines for 70K in Business, the Award Chart for this route will soon be increased to around 85K Miles after March 1st, so I called meeting with my travel companion and planned out a January trip to the island state of Hawaii.

The trip was really difficult to put together due to all the blackout dates on KE and CI, and flights on Delta metal requires exorbitant amount of miles, something like 300K per ticket, so Business Class redemption on Delta flatbed option was thrown out the window. Another option I really wanted to try out was KE flight to HNL connecting through ICN or NRT, but that didn't have any availability for the dates I wanted. As a last resort, I've decided to use Skyteam partner CI to get me to HNL, with outbound flight on a 747 and return flight on the A330-300 which purportedly sport one of the newest Business Class cabin in the fleet. A number of calls were made out to Delta and China Airlines to secure my booking at the 70K miles level, and initially I was only able to redeem for Y on CI18 to HNL, since the flight was a direct flight from TPE to HNL with a stop in NRT, Delta couldn't get award seat availability, however with some tinkering the agent was able to break up the itinerary into two segments, TPE to NRT on CI18 and NRT to HNL CI18, somehow that opened up seat availability and I was able to get two tickets at 70K miles each, and the return flight had plenty of availability in both J and Y. So I'm a happy camper after sorting out all the issues. Only caveat is since apparently noone has ever broken up the CI18 flights into two segment as an award redemption option, the agent couldn't do seat assignments for me even with a CI record locator, so I got my seat assignment at the airport,, which was pretty nice since I got to try both the UD on 747 and LD.

Arrival at the airport was pretty uneventful, I quickly have gone through the check-in process through the SkyPriority lane, since the broken up segments on my flight, I had to get reassurance my baggage is tagged all the way to HNL rather than NRT. Upon entry into the departure hall, I've attempted to impress my travel companion with the new China Airlines First Class Garden lounge, with my credential as a CI corporate flyer, Skyteam Elite+ and Business Class boarding passes, however I was rejected entry and re-directed to their other lounge across from gate D4, which isn't bad since I frequent that lounge as an Elite+ all the time. It is apparent, the new lounge is only for First Class passengers and Paragon status holders on China Airlines' own program.

Jan 16th, 2014
First flight
CI018
TPE-NRT
Departure: 2:30PM - Arrives 6:30PM at NRT
Flight Time 2 Hours 11 Minutes

Second flight
CI018
NRT-HNL
Departure: 8:10PM - Arrives 7:55AM at HNL

Boarding Pass 10J and 10K on the upper deck.

and
Boarding Pass 04J and 04K at the nose of the aircraft

Since I found out my inflight entertainment control is dimmed out on the NRT to HNL flight, so the FA kindly moved us to 02J and 02K, almost at the nose of the aircraft. It felt pretty awesome, as you can feel the thump from nose landing gear retracting into the bottom of the aircraft, something you won't feel anywhere else on the aircraft not even on the upper deck. The business class seats on the lower deck are configured 2 by 2 with 4th row as 2 x 2 x 2, so traveling as a couple any twin seats by the window should work out pretty well.

Boarding was smooth, hot towels and menus were passed out once you've settled into your seat, as well as personally greeted by the head purser. It is quite amazing once you are on the upper deck, you have absolutely no visual clue as how full or empty the flight is, as you'd never cross into the Y cabin for entry and disembark from the aircraft.

The transit in NRT was handled quite nicely, passengers transiting to HNL were all provided with a transit pass, however there was a little hiccup for us, since we have two supposedly separate flights and our names weren't on the transit passengers list, so we end up doing a double walk to the security area and then back to the gate, and walked together with the ground staff handling the transit to the security check point.

China Airlines 747-400 with 2 Class Configuration

Upper Deck Business Class Seating

My Seat for the next couple hours.
However be noted there aren't that many review of CI's business class seats, the seats equipped on this 747 is about 160 degrees that slants at an angle, so you feet would go underneath a semi-circular cutout that's placed behind the seat infront. Each seat is self enclosed, so you will not recline into anyone nor be intruded by the person reclining infront. There is a privacy divider between the seats for extra privacy for single travelers. The nicest thing about UD seats are the side storage bins, these were so useful to store lose items, or in our case extra pillow and blankets. The seat however is not the most comfortable I've ever flown in, compare to CI's first class seats, and China Southern's business class which are truly 180 degrees flat, the business class seats don't provide quite the similar experience as sleeping on a home bed.

The tray table swivels 90 degrees and can slide afore and back, so you can still get out of your seat while tray table is set.

I really like the blankets provided on China Airlines, it is a full length blanket and I can cover myself head to toe, if you're 6 feet you'd probably need another blanket, well heck if you are 6 1/2 feet or taller this type of Business class seat probably wont be that comfortable to you.

Some food pictures.

Steak I think! Didn't really high expectations for airline steak, but it didn't taste quite like rubber either, and enough portion served to fill the stomach for the night.

Dessert and Coffee

Honestly the food options are pretty mediocre, I didn't take photo of the Sushi breakfast served prior to arrival into to Honolulu, it wasn't very appetizing to me. The drink list contained 1 locally made Whisky called Kavalan, and two other options. I was sorta expecting better whisky, whiskey or scotch whatever, since people in Taiwan really love this type of drinks served on the rocks, and Johnny Walker and Macallan are probably two of the biggest names around here, but none of the options were available. The local stuff had a minor spice taste to it, I had a glass and gulped it down and went for some other options like a glass of champagne. As always Haagen Dazs was served after meal, not sure if Y class gets it too, but if memory serves correctly, I've had haagen dazs on China Eastern Flights in Economy as well. Pretty standard practice in Asia I guess.

On arrive you'd experience a Hawaiian sunrise from aloft, which was a pretty cool experience in itself. It'd also be my first time entering the US with my newly acquired Global Entry, I simply walked up to the GE machine and scanned the finger prints and handed the receipt to an officer, total time taken was less than 30 seconds, and I was off to the baggage claim area. Unlucky for my traveling companion, her wait time was around 45 minutes at the customs.

Jan 20th, 2014
Return Flight
CI001
HNL - TPE (Non-stop)
Departure: 12:45AM - Arrives 6:10AM at TPE

To travelers flying CI001 from HNL to TPE, if you accidentally arrives into the airport too early, you can check out the Delta Skyclub, which opens till 11PM. It is one of the few lounge places that I would rate the Delta domestic club to be better than Asian Airlines's international clubs, the drink options are so much better than CI's lounge. The only alcohol beverage served in CI's lounge is Pabst Blue Ribbon, com'on China Airlines at least offer up Sapporo or Kirin, I haven't had PBR since back yard beer pong parties when I was a freshmen in college. There is also the option of KE lounge, but it only opens around the KE flight departure time. There is an outdoor garden area, which could be smoker's rejoice, but smoking was prohibited there. All the lounges are located on the Garden level, there was CI lounge, Philippine lounge, IASS (I think was a priority pass lounge), KE and Delta Skyclub, all the lounges are very small, except for the Delta club. Boarding was chaotic, I took notice the gate agent did enforce the rule to allow passengers in wheel chair to board first, but passengers with babies had to wait in their respective lanes. The strange thing is, once wheelchair passengers boarded, the GA started boarding from two lanes, one for Skypriority and one for economy, I think it should be that economy passenger are boarded after at least the business class passengers, and it wasn't the case that day. I quickly got through the gate check, and settle into the seat, I couldn't imagine boarding along with the horde of vacationers returning to their Asian home countries, when most people are so clueless, and I'd have no doubt it's their first international flight.

_

On the return journey I get to experience the business class cabin on one of China Airlines' newest A330-300, the same Business Class seat product as seen on the Fiji Airlines A330, it is 160 degrees angled lie-flat, that's slanted. However be noted it is more comfortable than the 747 lie-flat, but still not as good as other more established business class products.

Business Class cabin was about 70% full.

_

I picked seat 02A and 02B, but later switched to 02J and 02K, since a baby was seated in 01A with her mother. The inflight service was excellent, and FA greeted us by names and gave us the option to take late night meal at anytime.

The flight from HNL to TPE faces a headwind about 150KM/ hour, so effective ground speed is probably around 750KM/ hour, thus making the return journey almost 11Hours, which is about similar travel time from TPE to LAX going west to east, just an observation. With pitch dark night skies and flight departure time right after midnight, I caught a good 6 or so hours of deep sleep. I know I could've done it in Y as well, but the only difference is you don't wake up with a sore back and shoulder.

Inflight entertainment screen, pretty good size that also can be tilted by about 5 degrees up or down to adjust to your seating position. There are so many cubbie holes to stores your stuff, and two storage slots built-in the middle consoles to stores phones, wallets and glasses. AC power and USB are provided to charge up electronics. However I wasn't able to find space to place my shoes anywhere near my seat, so ended up throwing it to the middle next next to me. On the 747 an open bin is available to stores shoes, and on the upper deck, the side storage bins are enormously valuable to store just about anything including extra pillows.

I had Sea Food fried rice for late night meal, however it wasn't pictured, and for breakfast I choose the asian option which is congee with a bun and some hot sauce.

The western option included a fruit plate and some sausages, which wasn't pictured.

In general, I felt it was well worth it for 70K miles from Asia to HNL as a redemption option, the CI crews are always very friendly and services oriented. They typically reserve the more senior crew for the J cabin, and younger FA for the Y cabin, but neither are the granny types you'd expect from typical american airlines.

I will upload photos I took on my Island trip, stay tuned.

Cheers

Last edited by Lulu Chen; Jan 22, 2014 at 4:39 pm Reason: correct aircraft information
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Great TR! CI has a lack of following here in FT. haha.

Althought I didn't know that CI operated A332s.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCTP
Great TR! CI has a lack of following here in FT. haha.

Althought I didn't know that CI operated A332s.
In fact it is A330-300, I have corrected it in the title.

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Various
Thanks for the report. CI is a bit of an unknown to me so it's nice to read about them.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Lulu Chen
The only alcohol beverage served in CI's lounge is Pabst Blue Ribbon, com'on China Airlines at least offer up Sapporo or Kirin, I haven't had PBR since back yard beer pong parties when I was a freshmen in college.

That's hilarious. Even airline lounges in Portland don't served Pabst, even though it would be highly appropriate here.

Thanks for the CI report, especially since they are few and far between on here.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Obligatory photos from the trip

Cheers
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Thanks for the report! It is good to see another CI J trip report, as this is not a product that is reviewed too often.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Great pics!!!!!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I'm trying to do this trip by redeeming for HNL to HND/NRT with a stopover in TPE/TSA as a round trip (HNL -> TPE -> TYO -> HNL), but its pricing out like all segments charged as a one-way (30,000 miles, 17500 miles, and 30000 miles) instead of as a round trip (60,000 miles) with a free stop (a la UA). Am I doing something wrong?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.