Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012

Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012

Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Auckland to Wellington (AKL-WLG) on Air New Zealand 737-300 in economy space plus

I rushed off to immigration to beat the hordes and to try and make my onward flight. I'd booked a 90 minute connection, which normally would be fine. It would be very tight to make the gate before it closes, if it is on time. But I was so annoyed from the previous flight I just wanted to get out and complete my journey.

I had about 20 minutes to hike to immigration, get through customs, get to the domestic terminal and through security to the gate. With no checked bags and an e-pass tag I could just turn up at the gate and board. That was the plan. I made it to the gate just as the last passenger was boarding - phew made it before it closed only to get a red light at the reader. Apparently Air NZ was confident none of the 20-odd (or about 19 plus one very odd) passengers from Japan that were connecting to this flight would make it and had rebooked us on later flights, not even the very next one in 30 minutes time. Since the flight was not full the gate agent switched me back, but I'd long lost the space plus seat and instead got 23E or something similarly ghastly. I knew E meant a middle seat but is there really that many rows in this aircraft? It had been a very long time (several years at least) since I've sat further back than about row 10 on a domestic Air New Zealand flight.

The flight itself was the usual 45 to 60 minute hop and uneventful/unmemorable.

Thus ends part one of this trip report.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thus ends part one of this trip report.
Superb as always. Cant wait for part two.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay for part two.

Qantas domestic first and business (again and again)

I booked a few tickets on an opportune great fare that was a good status credit earner at just the time I needed them. While it was (just) possible to do a same day return, it would have been a long day (up by 3am for early departure and not back until around 1am next morning) and reliant on some short connections. So instead I chose to spend a weekend away each time, with the added bonus of being able to fly domestic legs of international flights. This means a longhaul seat instead of shorthaul, spend more time in first class lounge instead of domestic lounges, and no annoying international to domestic transfer at SYD (which takes anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes).

As the fare worked well for me, and I enjoy the particular destination, I booked a few of these.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wellington to Sydney (WLG-SYD) on Qantas 737-800 in business

Many of the hundreds of flights I've flown from New Zealand to Australia depart at OMG o'clock but that doesn't make it any easier. For this flight there is no point checking in too early as immigration only opens at 0430. Given there are several departures around the same time, I've found it is best to either arrive at the airport early or late - in between the queues at check in, security and immigration are long.

Since I'm flying in business class (or alternatively because I have oneworld status) I avoid the long economy queue and have a shorter wait in the premium line. Qantas check in at WLG is at the far end of the check in area, which means you often have to struggle through the hordes queuing for Virgin Australia just to get to the Qantas queues, because the layout is not very efficient.

Once it is my turn I soon have 2 boarding passes and head for immigration. I got there just after immigration opened, as I had some work to do. Given a choice I'd rather do it in the lounge than at home where I might lose track of time or get caught up in traffic en route to the airport and needlessly risk missing the flights.

Since my previous international departure they'd moved the immigration and security desks so that security is before immigration. This makes sense - no point in clearing immigration only to find you have to return to check in a bag. However, as with all airports in this part of the world, there is still the compulsory walk through duty free hoping you don't knock anything over before you can reach the lounge or departure gates.

The Qantas lounge was just opening as I arrived. I was warmly welcomed back and I found a comfy corner to work in. There was breakfast food and beverages, which I skipped other than a tasty smoothie.

The time passed quickly and boarding was called. There is a side door in this lounge which goes straight to the passage leading to the jetbridge - no need to join the throngs waiting in the gate!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The business cabin was full apart from the seat beside me. Most of the time this is the case on these flights - Qantas has almost perpetual sales to keep the cabin as full as possible, and my high status generally means the seat adjacent to mine is the last to be made available for selection by passengers.

Once the stream of economy passengers boarding slows to a trickle, a pre-departure drink is offered - bubbly, juice or water. Menus had been placed on the seat before boarding.

We left on time and after the initial bumpy ascent I was able to get some more sleep. I could care less about breakfast as I have two more opportunities to eat courtesy of Qantas. I woke at top of descent, slightly annoyed that I didn't manage to sleep some more. Oh well.

We'd had a fast flight across the Tasman so as penalty we had to fly firstly well to the south of the airport around Wollongong and then fly past the airport and over the northern suburbs as well before landing to the south. As this was on the third runway, this meant a long taxi back to the terminal. Instead of arriving early we were 20 minutes late and some passengers were anxious about the connecting flights, some of which were already boarding. To rub salt into the wound we got the gate in the non-Oneworld pier that doesn't have an airbridge. This not only requires stairs and a short walk across the tarmac, but you arrive in the terminal right at immigration. Those who have transfers have to fight against the flow of people (which is huge in the early morning peak period at Sydney) to get to transfer security.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
New Zealand to Australia
August 2012

Breakfast

Cloudy Apple Juice

Passionfruit Energiser Drink

Warm Bakery

Entree

Breakfast Yoghurt with Blueberry Compote and Roast Almonds

Your choice of :

Continental Breakfast

Cereal Selection

or

Brookfarm Natural Muesli

or

Hot Breakfast

Poached Eggs with Hollandaise Sauce, Breakfast Sausages and Sauteed Spinach with Leek

or

Savoury Parmesan Pancake with Grilled Bacon and Slow Roasted Roma Tomatoes

Beverages

Champagne

Your Flight Attendant will advise whether today's menu features Billecart-Salmon Brut or Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.

Australian and New Zealand Wine

We have a selection of these premium whites onboard. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to advise you of today's selection.

Aperitifs

Bloody Mary

Campari and Soda

Gin and Tonic

Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Bundaberg Dark Rum

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky

Plymouth The Smooth English Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Wild Turkey 86.8 Bourbon

Wyborowa Polish Vodka

Beers

James Squire Golden Ale

Heineken

Victoria Bitter

Hahn Premium Light

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Australian dessert and fortified wine is available for your enjoyment.

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream

Cointreau

Cognac

Martell VSOP

Juice Bar

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Non Alcoholic

Appletiser Sparkling Apple Juice

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Coca-Cola

Coke Zero

Lemonade

Lemon Squash

Sparkling Mineral Water

Still Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Ginger Ale

Hot Beverages

Fix Coffee
High grade Rainforest Alliance,
100% Arabica Coffee

Dilmah Tea
English Breakfast
Earl Grey
Peppermint
Chamomile
Jasmine Green

Vittoria Chocochino
Hot Chocolate

Italian style drinking chocolate.

J_TAS_BF_2_NZ-AUS_DOM2_MAY12
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney transit

Since we'd arrived in the non-Oneworld pier transfer security was not too busy, although a group of, I presume United flyers continuing on to Melbourne, were slowing things down by needlessly removing their belts and boots. We don't do that in this part of the world unless they contain excessive amounts of metal.

Anyway, it didn't take long to get through and walk across to the Oneworld part of the terminal and up to the Qantas lounge. I was welcomed back by the lounge bouncer and waved on up even before I could pull my boarding pass out for inspection. I guess I've been at this lounge a few dozen or more times - not as many visits as various lounges in my home country or the T2 and T3 Singapore Airlines first class lounges at Singapore.

Upstairs my boarding pass was scanned and I was again welcomed back. "We don't need to show you anything?" to which I agreed. Normally at this point I'd be connecting to or from a longhaul flight and would head for the showers. No need today so instead I grabbed a desk to finish up some work before going to the dining room for breakfast. I find the service in this lounge is dependent on your departure flight - slow if your flight is a long time before boarding and fast if it is near. This frustrates me if I want a quick bite before doing some work, so I arrive in the dining area with about 15 minutes before boarding to force the pace a bit.

Today's bubbles on offer are Bollinger, Delamotte, Taittinger and Veuve.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
Sydney First Class Lounge
August 2012

Spring Breakfast Menu

Breakfast available until midday

Seasonal fruit salad

House toasted muesli

Bircher muesli

Shaw River buffalo milk yoghurt with vanilla berries

Blueberry pancakes with banana, whipped butter & maple syrup

Grilled ciabatta with ricotta, smoked salmon & chervil

Sweetcorn fritters with bacon, avocado, creme fraiche & tomato jam

Wholegrain toasted sandwich with bacon, lettuce, tomato & aioli

Bread

Your selection of toasted Brasserie Bread with condiments

Sourdough, Quinoa & soya, New York rye, Ciabatta or Fruit Bread

Triple berry, Pawpaw, lime & passionfruit, Strawberry, Blood plum, Raspberry or Apricot jam

Rich orange marmalade, Honey or Vegemite

Free Range Organic Eggs

Eggs Florentine

Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon or leg ham

Whole egg omelette with sauteed leek, leg ham & Gruyere

Egg white omelette with vine ripened tomato, ricotta & chives

Fried egg, bacon & tomato relish on brioche roll

Two eggs poached, scrambled or fried with your selection of sides

Roast tomato, Wilted spinach, Roasted field mushrooms, Hash brown, Smoked salmon, Bacon, Pork chipolatas

Available from 11am

Soup of the day

Shaw River buffalo mozzarella with spring greens & lemon oil

Salt & pepper squid with green chilli sauce

Club sandwich with chicken, slow roasted tomatoes, bacon & aioli

Grass fed Black Angus minute steak with beetroot relish & horseradish cream

Bowl of chips

Mixed leaves with palm sugar vinaigrette

Beverages

Coffee Cinque Stelle by Vittoria

Short black

Long black

Cappuccino

Flat white

Cafe latte

Vittoria hot chocolate

Tea by T2

English breakfast

Earl grey

Peppermint

Lemongrass and ginger

Chamomile

Sencha

Chai

Cold Drinks

Fruit energiser

Freshly squeezed juice

Cocktails

Pablos - Pineapple and pink grapefruit juice with soda and bitters

Bloody Maria - Tequilla, with spicy tomato juice

Champagne

Taittinger Brut Reserve

Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin

Bollinger Special Cuvee

Champagne Delamotte

Beer

Crown lager

Cascade

Cascade light

Heineken

Peroni Leggera

James Squire amber ale

James Squire pilsner

White Wine and Rose

Carlei Green Vineyards Pinot Gris 2011, Cardinia Ranges, Victoria
Squealing Pig Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Marlborough, New Zealand
Heemskerk Riesling 2011, Coal River, Tasmania
Rockford "Local Growers" Semillon 2008, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Devil's Lair Chardonnay 2010, Margaret River, Western Australia
Rockford Alicante Bouchet 2011, Barossa Valley, South Australia

Red Wine

Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 2010, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Torbreck Cuvee Juveniles GSM 2010, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Wynn's Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Coonawarra, South Australia
Devil's Lair Cabernet Sauvignon 2008, Margaret River, Western Australia
Petaluma Merlot 2007, Coonawarra, South Australia

Dessert Wine

De Bortoli, Noble One 2008, Riverina, New South Wales
Stella Bella, Pink Muscat 2010, Margaret River, Western Australia
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Adelaide (SYD-ADL) on Qantas A330-200 in business class

After a couple of hours or so in the lounge boarding was called, some 45 minutes before departure. By the time I got to the gate boarding was almost complete.

Business class was half full, and seemed to be almost exclusively through passengers to Singapore. This surprised me as there are plenty of quicker non-stop flights to Singapore and so I expected this first leg to be mainly Sydney to Adelaide passengers with some award passengers. Obviously in peak times when flights are full there would be more Sydney to Singapore passengers.

Anyway, as a domestic leg of an international flight there were some service differences, in addition to the major benefit of a skybed for the short flight instead of a recliner. No amenity kit or printed menu (these would be handed out to continuing passengers after reboarding in Adelaide). Pre-departure drink was limited to juice or water, but drinks orders were taken and given just after the chimes at the end of the initial climb. Longhaul IFE was available.

The meal was similar (perhaps identical?) to the current offering for a regular short domestic flight in business. A choice between a beef salad and a hot option (possibly chicken?), drinks, bread rolls, drinks, ice cream, drinks, tea and coffee to finish.

The flight was long enough to watch/listen a short movie while also reading some papers. We arrived early.

New smartgate machines which provide simple immigration (and most importantly no stamp in the passport) for Australians and New Zealanders (and later Americans) with machine readable passports and not aged under 18 were installed but not operational. Dang. Sometimes immigration at regional airports in Australia can be funny - I've had secondary many times at Perth and Cairns. However despite the low numbers of international flights, Adelaide immigration was painless. It was very speedy given most passengers were through passengers to Singapore (and thus bypass immigration) and almost all of the rest were Sydney originating passengers with "D" stickers indicating domestic only. For those, mostly they're on the lookout for people with sneaky duty free purchases.

With carryon bags only and no customs inspection for me, I was landside within 2 minutes of the aircraft doors being opened.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Adelaide to Sydney (ADL-SYD) on Qantas A330-200 in business class

The next day I was back at the airport, checking in for my two flights. This time I'd opted for "late" and so did not have much time in the nice lounge before trekking to the gate near the opposite end of the terminal, via immigration of course. Immigration is quick - again most passengers at this time of day have "D" stickers, although there are a few through passengers from Singapore because the lounge is in the domestic part of the terminal. Strictly the whole terminal is domestic with certain gates being blocked off for international flights when needed, however with more and more airlines (other than Qantas) offering international flights out of Adelaide this can be much of the day. Eligible through passengers have the choice of clearing security and remaining in the international blocked off part of the terminal or going through immigration twice and security in order to use the lounge. It was much easier on my previous international transit in Adelaide on Star Alliance, because the Singapore Airlines lounge is below the gates used for international flights and does not require clearing immigration for a transit passenger to use.

Anyway, the flight is only half full and things are much the same as the flight over, except the meal service is breakfast instead of lunch.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
Sydney First Class Lounge
August 2012

Spring Menu

All Day Dining available from midday

Sashimi of Bluefin tuna with horseradish & organic soy dressing

Shaw River buffalo mozzarella with spring greens & lemon oil

Warm salad of duck breast, roast fennel, orange, watercress & olives

Organic chicken liver parfait with house pickled baby vegetables

Salt & pepper squid with green chilli sauce

Long & short soup with chicken broth & Asian greens

Barramundi fillet with caper, lemon & anchovy butter, baby leeks & speck

Shanghai noodles with chilli & sesame pork, cucumber & Szechuan pepper

Lamb cutlets with parmesan & rosemary crumbs, classic coleslaw

Grass fed Black Angus minute steak with beetroot relish & horseradish cream

Our Signature Sandwiches

Club sandwich with chicken, slow roasted tomatoes, bacon & aioli

Beef burger with bacon, Gruyere, Zuni pickle & tomato chilli relish

Fish burger with Moroccan eggplant, mayonnaise & harissa

Side Dishes

Bowl of chips

Mixed leaves with palm sugar vinaigrette

Wild rocket & parmesan salad

Boiled greens with Colonna lemon oil

Dessert and Cheese

Seasonal fruit plate

Sheep's milk yoghurt panna cotta with passionfruit jelly

Angel food cake with vanilla berries & cream

Gelatomassi gelato & sorbet selection
Zabaglione, Espresso, Chocolate or Strawberry gelato
Lemon or Raspberry sorbet

Cheese hand selected by Will Studd
Marcel Petite Aged Comte, Papillon Black Label Roquefort & Le Dauphin
served with accompaniments

Daily Specials

Cream of mushroom soup

Salad of crispy pork & prawn with chilli & mango

Semolina pasta with Bolognese ragu & parmesan

Wild mushroom risotto with crispy sage & truffled peconrino

Raspberry pavolva with passionfruit, mascarpone & vanilla gelato

Beverages

Cocktails

Negroni - Gin, Campari, sweet vermouth & orange twist

Kir Royale - Creme de cassis & champagne

Champagne

Taittinger Brut Reserve

Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin

Bollinger Special Cuvee

Champagne Delamotte

White Wine and Rose

Carlei Green Vineyards Pinot Gris 2011, Cardinia Ranges, Victoria
Squealing Pig Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Marlborough, New Zealand
Heemskerk Riesling 2011, Coal River, Tasmania
Rockford "Local Growers" Semillon 2008, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Devil's Lair Chardonnay 2010, Margaret River, Western Australia
Rockford Alicante Bouchet 2011, Barossa Valley, South Australia

Red Wine

Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 2010, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Torbreck Cuvee Juveniles GSM 2010, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Wynn's Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Coonawarra, South Australia
Devil's Lair Cabernet Sauvignon 2008, Margaret River, Western Australia
Petaluma Merlot 2007, Coonawarra, South Australia

Dessert Wine

De Bortoli, Noble One 2008, Riverina, New South Wales
Stella Bella, Pink Muscat 2010, Margaret River, Western Australia

Beer

Crown lager

Cascade

Cascade light

Heineken

Peroni Leggera

James Squire amber ale

James Squire pilsner

Coffee Cinque Stelle by Vittoria

Short black

Long black

Cappuccino

Flat white

Cafe latte

Vittoria hot chocolate

Tea by T2

English breakfast

Earl grey

Peppermint

Lemongrass and ginger

Chamomile

Sencha
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Unfortunately the schedules meant a long transit in Sydney first class lounge. Oh well, I had plenty to do and see to, including catching up with a friend who was travelling elsewhere, and there was plenty of good food and champagne to keep my spirits up.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Wellington (SYD-WLG) on Qantas 737-800 in business class

Eventually it was time to board. Our gate was in the non-oneworld pier (i.e. about as far as possible from the lounge), as often is the case for flights to New Zealand. The flight was jammed full - which is not unusual for a Sunday evening. Plenty of business people flying across for work/meetings on Monday morning. We had the third runway, again not unusual for flights to New Zealand.

The first part of the flight was very bumpy, which posed a question when the meal service started early in the flight. Soup or no soup? The soup is usually quite tasty but there is a risk of a mess if turbulence is too much. I chose no soup and kept my liquid intake up by other means

I was slow in eating, so by the time I finished dinner we were closing in on the west coast of New Zealand. The daytime flight on this route has fantastic views of the northern South Island and lower North Island, but the evening flight has no views until very close to landing, and then only if weather permits. Tonight the weather was poor and we only saw lights through the rain a couple of minutes before a bunny hop landing.

There was a short delay at the gate for someone to operate the airbridge. Immigration and baggage claim was busy with passengers from other flights. Smartgate worked fine for a change, and I walked straight past baggage claim with my carry on. I was almost knocked out at customs queue by some one who hadn't realised they were swinging their surfboard around at other people's heads. Customs directed me to bypass xray so I was soon landside and on my way.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Australia to New Zealand
August 2012

Menu

From the Bar

Roasted Nuts

Entree

Beef, Vegetable and Barley Soup

Main Courses

Fish and Fennel Pie with Carrots and Broccolini

Roast Pork with Sage Butte, Sauteed Apples and Braised Red Cabbage

Thai Style Chicken Salad with Glass Noodles

Warm Bakery

Selection of Cheeses

Ice Cream and Biscotti

Whittaker's Chocolates

Beverages

Champagne

Your Flight Attendant will advise whether today's menu features Billecart-Salmon Brut or Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.

Australian and New Zealand Wine

We have a selection of these premium whites onboard. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to advise you of today's selection.

Aperitifs

Bloody Mary

Campari and Soda

Gin and Tonic

Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Bundaberg Dark Rum

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky

Plymouth The Smooth English Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Wild Turkey 86.8 Bourbon

Wyborowa Polish Vodka

Beers

James Squire Golden Ale

Heineken

Victoria Bitter

Hahn Premium Light

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Australian dessert and fortified wine is available for your enjoyment.

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream

Cointreau

Cognac

Martell VSOP

Juice Bar

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Non Alcoholic

Appletiser Sparkling Apple Juice

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Coca-Cola

Coke Zero

Lemonade

Lemon Squash

Sparkling Mineral Water

Still Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Ginger Ale

Hot Beverages

Fix Coffee
High grade Rainforest Alliance,
100% Arabica Coffee

Dilmah Tea
English Breakfast
Earl Grey
Peppermint
Chamomile
Jasmine Green

Vittoria Chocochino
Hot Chocolate

Italian style drinking chocolate.

J_TAS_MM_4_NZ-AUS_DOM2_MAY12
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Sydney transit

Since we'd arrived in the non-Oneworld pier transfer security was not too busy, although a group of, I presume United flyers continuing on to Melbourne, were slowing things down by needlessly removing their belts and boots. We don't do that in this part of the world unless they contain excessive amounts of metal.
In the past around different Australasian ports I've been pinged (multiple times) for wearing a regular belt containing what I would call a pretty standard amount of metal (ie: not a lot). Based on this, since 2008 I've made it a habit of removing my belt before passing through security.

Loving your report as always Kiwi Flyer, keep it up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.