American Airlines Inaugural JFK-LAX A321 Flight in First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Inaugural JFK-LAX A321 Flight in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Who the hell is Ken Chase and why does he even have a job?

Say that to my face, b****!

You will take your magical journey across the central valley and you will like it.

Nice report.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:13 am

Your comments on the wine have been passed along to the proper people, thank you!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the report SFO777. Such a shame AA didn't take the opportunity to revamp the soft product along with the new plane.

As to the BA towel, at least BA have never resorted to warm baby wipes.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Great trip report. Excited to try this product, although currently I'm not set to until May! Too long a wait!

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Disappointing to see no real change in the soft product and same bad wines.
Despite it being "steak or pasta" (and now chicken, with three entree choices in both cabins), the menu is a very noticeable improvement, IMO. It is also on MIALAX where I had it a few days ago, and it was the best U.S. domestic meal I've ever had on any airline.

The lunch menu is also being redesigned, but that hasn't rolled out yet.

The redeye menu also now includes a second service before landing, in addition to the light meal after take-off.

Also, while not shown in this trip report, three more enhancements to the soft product in first are amenity kits, glassware for the PDBs (which wasn't used on SFO777's flight) and an espresso machine.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skylady
Your comments on the wine have been passed along to the proper people, thank you!
And add the fact that there's an espresso/cappuccino machine onto the First menu. Wouldn't have known about it had it not been for me overhearing the FA talk about it in the galley.

Is glassware for the pre-departure beverage standard operating procedure for First? My flight had it but business class didn't. Also, is dine-on-demand in First standard? My flight attendants on the later AA181 offered it but it wasn't explicit in the menu. I met with SFO777 after our flights at LAX and we had wildly different experiences, all based on how each set of flight attendants handled the flight.

Lastly is there a reason why Door 2 isn't being used for boarding rather than Door 1 (which is currently used)?

Originally Posted by MAH4546
amenity kits
Which flights? My FAs knew nothing about them ...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Nice Trip Report, thanks for sharing. While I'm glad that AA is introducing brand new planes between LAX and JFK I am not happy that they are narrowbody equipment.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by amolkold
Which flights? My FAs knew nothing about them ...
Amenity kits will be rolled out in F on 3-class flights on JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Looks like it's time to me to leave UA and go to AA instead. What a vastly superior product. What do you think, SFO777?
Don't forget this is F, not C, C in the back with AA is still 2+2 like UA ! I see the soft product still remain the same like before, if you want to switch I would rather suggest you to switch to DL instead, as they really has a premium product on the same route, not to mention DL even has an amenity kit too whereas AA and UA still had none !

Amenity kits will be rolled out in F on 3-class flights on JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX.
Are they giving out the C kit or F kit since it will only be given out to F only ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 8, 2014 at 2:23 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777

Very fitting to have one of the TR forum's finest to write a report on the inaugural. Great Job SFO777

Some points to point out, cabin looks great and kinda similar to the DL 744 upper deck.
Great Job on the part to see the cabin fully like this
I wonder if the Cirrus seat itself is slightly smaller version, kinda like the CX 77W and their 333s run a slightly different version, if you flown both, you will understand what I mean
Seems to be the case on these AA 321s as well vs. the AA 77Ws, neither of which I've flown sadly.

I will say this and hopefully skylady may be able to correct me on this.
To my knowledge, AA AFS First in the last 1.5 - 2 years or so always had a underlying plate underneath, then per course, your food is placed on top from another plate.
What your crew did here was serve it like how they will normally do it on J, they simply dropped down the entire tray, which looks like extremely lazy behavior.
I see you also noted they almost forgot the PDB and used the wrong cups too lol

I can't compete with this.

Though I had a better crew who actually got AApplause certificates not only from myself, but from another F passenger as well. I can't believe your crew didn't even point out the espresso/cappuccino machine in F! Not only did my crew use glassware for the PDB, they even came around with a 2nd round.

My trip report is coming up. Photos take a while. I don't know how SFO777 does it. Seriously, I am sitting across from him in the LAX FL and don't know how he does it!

By the way, I tried to pull an ShF (as you explained it) and run on to the plane first to get photos, but they weren't ready for me when I boarded and the line behind grew
Bahaha Amolkold, no one gets them off the press then the Master.
I don't even know how he does it at times, the re-arranging/touch up of all the photos takes forever and seems to take him no time.
Excited to see your version as well, especially seems SFO777 got the short hand on the crew.

LOL, tried to pull a me
I'm sure SFO777 explained it quite clearly, sometimes it's luck, sometimes you do it when you get off the plane last.
It just wasn't your day when the cabin crew wasn't ready to let you board.

I will also say this, it's also airline dependent, each airline has their own crowd, some like to board early, others not so much.
United I say is by far the hardest to get cabin photos just because everyone loves to board early for some reason, gate lice or not.
And in particular, Narrowbodies are harder for cabin/seat photos, and for the 321 F I imagine it's even harder since there is so many details to note down.

Originally Posted by matthandy
Looks brilliant. Is this the best scheduled domestic seat in America and Europe?
The food looks very good too.

Thanks for the report SFO777.
Matthandy, I think the undisputable #1 has to be CX F JFK-YVR, nobody ups the ante like they do.
This probably would be the 2nd best product on a domestic-type equipment.
The others I can think on top of the heart will be the BA 321 Club World, they use those to fly to the CIS countries, TLV for instance.
I'm waiting how B6 will jump into the game as well with their new 321 configuration.

SFO777 noted the high tail winds going east, I flew LAX-JFK in under 5 hours last night. Those same winds were head winds going west and JFK-LAX was about 6h25m for me, well in the range of some international flights.
Wonder what's the flying speed difference between the 321s and the 762s?

Originally Posted by skylady
Skylady, did you see the comment I made about the food service delivery problem I've noticed.

Great trip report. Excited to try this product, although currently I'm not set to until May! Too long a wait!

The lunch menu is also being redesigned, but that hasn't rolled out yet.

The redeye menu also now includes a second service before landing, in addition to the light meal after take-off.

Also, while not shown in this trip report, three more enhancements to the soft product in first are amenity kits, glassware for the PDBs (which wasn't used on SFO777's flight) and an espresso machine.
MAH4546, glad to hear we are finally am doing something else other than Chicken Pot Pie, how is that J class food is beyond me.
Wonder what they are doing for red-eyes, I used to do AA 10 or 30, really wish they do the trayed breakfast drink(OJ/Water) pre-arrival and hand out "grab to go" breakfast bag.
How hard would it be to cater a yogurt, banana and a muffin in a paper bag?
Or allow people to use the shower at the JFK AC after their red-eyes, sure someone (without an AMEX/Admiral's Club) would want that benefit before heading into the office

Glassware for PDBs ^

And add the fact that there's an espresso/cappuccino machine onto the First menu. Wouldn't have known about it had it not been for me overhearing the FA talk about it in the galley.

Is glassware for the pre-departure beverage standard operating procedure for First? My flight had it but business class didn't. Also, is dine-on-demand in First standard? My flight attendants on the later AA181 offered it but it wasn't explicit in the menu. I met with SFO777 after our flights at LAX and we had wildly different experiences, all based on how each set of flight attendants handled the flight.

Lastly is there a reason why Door 2 isn't being used for boarding rather than Door 1 (which is currently used)?
Espresso machines, re-designed 321s, have to give praises to Tom Horton, it's been an overall good turnaround
Thought Dine-on-demand was always the standard, I remember doing it once or twice on the 762s
I thought it's only because SFO777 had a lazy crew by the looks of it, can't wait to see your photos, but if it's anything, it's keeping the same old AA characteristic, uneven crew standards.

1L instead of 2L, same reason as some of the 752s? Worried about hitting the engine? 2L would be significantly better than 1L

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jan 8, 2014 at 2:46 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by boyerling3
Bankruptcy gives you a pretty nice product huh?
Really? Do you live under a boulder?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Very fitting to have one of the TR forum's finest to write a report on the inaugural. Great Job SFO777

Some points to point out, cabin looks great and kinda similar to the DL 744 upper deck.
Great Job on the part to see the cabin fully like this
I wonder if the Cirrus seat itself is slightly smaller version, kinda like the CX 77W and their 333s run a slightly different version, if you flown both, you will understand what I mean
Seems to be the case on these AA 321s as well vs. the AA 77Ws, neither of which I've flown sadly.

I will say this and hopefully skylady may be able to correct me on this.
To my knowledge, AA AFS First in the last 1.5 - 2 years or so always had a underlying plate underneath, then per course, your food is placed on top from another plate.
What your crew did here was serve it like how they will normally do it on J, they simply dropped down the entire tray, which looks like extremely lazy behavior.
I see you also noted they almost forgot the PDB and used the wrong cups too lol

Bahaha Amolkold, no one gets them off the press then the Master.
I don't even know how he does it at times, the re-arranging/touch up of all the photos takes forever and seems to take him no time.
Excited to see your version as well, especially seems SFO777 got the short hand on the crew.

LOL, tried to pull a me
I'm sure SFO777 explained it quite clearly, sometimes it's luck, sometimes you do it when you get off the plane last.
It just wasn't your day when the cabin crew wasn't ready to let you board.

I will also say this, it's also airline dependent, each airline has their own crowd, some like to board early, others not so much.
United I say is by far the hardest to get cabin photos just because everyone loves to board early for some reason, gate lice or not.
And in particular, Narrowbodies are harder for cabin/seat photos, and for the 321 F I imagine it's even harder since there is so many details to note down.

Matthandy, I think the undisputable #1 has to be CX F JFK-YVR, nobody ups the ante like they do.
This probably would be the 2nd best product on a domestic-type equipment.
The others I can think on top of the heart will be the BA 321 Club World, they use those to fly to the CIS countries, TLV for instance.
I'm waiting how B6 will jump into the game as well with their new 321 configuration.

Wonder what's the flying speed difference between the 321s and the 762s?

Skylady, did you see the comment I made about the food service delivery problem I've noticed.

MAH4546, glad to hear we are finally am doing something else other than Chicken Pot Pie, how is that J class food is beyond me.
Wonder what they are doing for red-eyes, I used to do AA 10 or 30, really wish they do the trayed breakfast drink(OJ/Water) pre-arrival and hand out "grab to go" breakfast bag.
How hard would it be to cater a yogurt, banana and a muffin in a paper bag?
Or allow people to use the shower at the JFK AC after their red-eyes, sure someone (without an AMEX/Admiral's Club) would want that benefit before heading into the office

Glassware for PDBs ^

Espresso machines, re-designed 321s, have to give praises to Tom Horton, it's been an overall good turnaround
Thought Dine-on-demand was always the standard, I remember doing it once or twice on the 762s
I thought it's only because SFO777 had a lazy crew by the looks of it, can't wait to see your photos, but if it's anything, it's keeping the same old AA characteristic, uneven crew standards.

1L instead of 2L, same reason as some of the 752s? Worried about hitting the engine? 2L would be significantly better than 1L
I swear that AA said they would use 2L a while back, for JFKLAX at least. Perhaps they changed their mind...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Say that to my face, b****!

You will take your magical journey across the central valley and you will like it.

Nice report.
lol, nice.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Thanks for the report, seems like a product I would actually trek up to JFK for, at least on occasion.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Nice job señor sfo.....only you would start another TR while finishing ANOTHER TR, lol
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I think AA should really thank its former COO [B]Virasb Vahid[i/B] for the much-improved hard product. He's the mind behind the new airport concept (found at DFW Terminal A) and the new First and Business Class seats. Sad to see him go after US took over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.